The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Blr243 » 12 May 2020, 6:53 pm

Old bloke I just wanted all of my frequently used tracks to smell attractive to draw in the foxes and cats close to the tracks so that as I’m moving from pig hunting areas to other pig hunting areas I can shoot some small game on the way ..... I have 5 or 6 designated pig hunting zones on the place I hunt but I’m loving the fox and cat encounters too
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 May 2020, 7:01 pm

Figure 8 good point marksman. .....all the rain we had means my cultivation paddocks are now sewn so I can’t drive quad on them so fig 8 hard to do but I’ll work something out. Iv done well on those bare ground paddocks with pigs entering the paddocks at night just for the stubble , but now that seed is sewn and soil moisture profile is good perhaps I might be in for some serious action over the next few months now that I have real crops to watch over. Fingers crossed.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 13 May 2020, 6:47 am

G'day,

Some years ago, before I took up fox shooting my neighbour used to shoot on my property. One afternoon I told him that one of my cows had died due top complications giving birth - the calf got stuck and I could not get it 'unstuck' - and that he should go out that night to see who came to visit the carcase. I had attached a chain to the dead beast and dragged it down closer to the house with the tractor so the knacker could collect it next morning. The weather was quite warm and the carcase had bloated. The neighbour shot two foxes, one near the carcase, and spotted another tracking along the drag trail with its nose to the ground. It was an expensive way to bait foxes.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AJB » 05 Jun 2020, 7:41 pm

:D :D got this chook killer just on dark
Attachments
Screenshot_20200605-185944_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200605-185944_Gallery.jpg (430.92 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

I picked up this vixen late yesterday. Came into the button whistle.

Resized_20200604_172502(1).jpeg
Resized_20200604_172502(1).jpeg (277.17 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

It’s good to see some of us are still able to get amongst some action despite current circumstances
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 06 Jun 2020, 8:49 am

G'day Blr243,

I've been out to a reedy creek running through a long low paddock the last two nights and could see foxes across the creek up on the hillside at about 200 yards with my thermal viewer, but could not get any eye-shine with my red torch or see through the IR scope because of heavy fog settling in the valley. [It's been pretty cold here south of Ballarat]. There was no point calling them as they would have spotted me before I could have seen them in shooting range using IR. I can definitely see the benefits of a thermal scope under such circumstances - except for the cost.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2020, 9:11 am

Ntsog. I bought an acebeam w30 longthrow torch for rifle mounting ( somebody on AHN mentioned it ) I refuse to use in original form for fear of identifying my presence and scaring away the game. It’s supplied with a red filter. Most red filters I’m aware of cut the range of a torch drastically but this is the only one I have seen that’s so incredibly intense that it still punches out there when filtered. I have it on my back up rifle ...1 I can’t afford another thermal scope .....good to see u are out chaseing those foxes.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by brinny » 06 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

Latest trip down to the Western district here in Vic.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2020, 8:08 am

Has anyone tried one of these?

T2 Tenterfield style whistle
https://foxcalls.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=72
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Jun 2020, 3:38 pm

+ 1 for the old button whistle.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Jun 2020, 3:49 pm

HEY OldBloke, there is a video on Utube where a couple of blokes give that style of whistle (and another) one a work out, up around Tenterfield, I think; went pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBKPqE0DnM
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2020, 3:52 pm

Thanks RJ. Seen that. I think it's just a marketing video.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 07 Jun 2020, 7:24 pm

OB
I have used traditional Button and Tenterfields for most of my 50 years of hunting but wont go back now I have the T2. It has a Tenterfield whistle and 'bird/mouse/something squwark that both drive foxes and crows nuts. Best $20 odd I have spent in a good while.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 07 Jun 2020, 7:25 pm

OB
I have used traditional Button and Tenterfields for most of my 50 years of hunting but wont go back now I have the T2. It has a Tenterfield whistle and 'bird/mouse/something squwark that both drive foxes and crows nuts. Best $20 odd I have spent in a good while.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm

What's different about it pudlux?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 11:36 am

I heard what i thought was that whistle on a yooChoob vid last week & didnt like the sound of it at all...but that vid linked above by RJ has changed my mind...might have to get one... :thumbsup:

I still stand by the original Tenterfield whistle though... :clap:

The maker/inventor of the original is a great bloke, well in his 80's i think & still going strong, :clap: & charges SFA for them in reality...he puts great effort into each one sounding the same & they are hand finished & all made here in Australia with Aussie colourbond steel & finished by him.

I think we should all have one in our kits on the Aussie made & invented flag alone...let alone the fact they really do work, & ive made a few & cant get the same tone out of them...

I have the guys direct number if anyone is interested...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 11:44 am

brinny wrote:Latest trip down to the Western district here in Vic.....

Some nice tails there Brinny...
Well on the way to a deposit for another thermal or rifle... :thumbsup:

What you wacking them with...(i forget)...a 17 now or still the 204...?

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 08 Jun 2020, 5:37 pm

Stix wrote:
brinny wrote:Latest trip down to the Western district here in Vic.....

Some nice tails there Brinny...
Well on the way to a deposit for another thermal or rifle... :thumbsup:

What you wacking them with...(i forget)...a 17 now or still the 204...?

Think there a couple of hundred or maybe more in the freezer now Stix....Still using the Sako 85 204....
Starting to rekindle an urge to rebarrel a new Sako 85 into a 17 Rem....
Reckon i might sell off the Tikka M55 17 Rem and my Sako 85 223 (safe queen) and get another 85 SS fluted varmint 204 and go with the original idea....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 08 Jun 2020, 8:25 pm

OB
The Tenterfield part seems easier to project a decent and loud rabbit squeal as well as keeping tune when trying the soft approach. The other rodent noise is a good backup when the foxes are wary during the day. I have probably shot an even number of foxes withboth.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 08 Jun 2020, 8:25 pm

OB
The Tenterfield part seems easier to project a decent and loud rabbit squeal as well as keeping tune when trying the soft approach. The other rodent noise is a good backup when the foxes are wary during the day. I have probably shot an even number of foxes withboth.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 08 Jun 2020, 8:26 pm

s**t. Done it again
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 11 Jun 2020, 8:29 am

G'day from freezing Ballarat: here's a photo of the biggest fox I've shot so far, a dog which had a fairly strict 'time-table' and routine and stuck to it last night, fortunately, before I froze my nuts off. I've been watching him for a while.

I used a Weihrauch 60J [.222 Rem] with a new Black Sun Dark Engine vcsel IR [850] which arrived from the UK recently. I can't say it was my best shot, partly as fog was coming in and it was getting hard to see clearly, but he is now a [frosty] 'ex-fox'.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1786A.jpg
IMG_1786A.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 4800 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

G'day,

I got this dog last night in the rain. He was running around like a headless chook spraying on fence posts at about 130 yards range with his mate further uphill. I used the little yellow 'squeaker' shown at the bottom of the photo [the cone shaped part of the call] very softly a couple of times and he came into about 70 yards very quickly. All of a sudden I'm getting lots of new foxes on my place - four last night in 80 minutes - though only this randy fool gave me a shot. I presume the increased activity is due to the breeding season beginning?

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1792aq.jpg
Randy fool
IMG_1792aq.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4738 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jun 2020, 11:29 am

NTSOG, Are you getting all of them with the yellow T2? What other whistles are you using? Been quiet for me lately, buggers arnt coming in to the usual whistles.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jun 2020, 12:28 pm

G'day Oldbloke - from another old bloke,

Aside from the T2, the KOD and Sly fox have got some strong interest. Lambing is going on down the road so I will be using a distressed lamb call tonight on that farm, weather permitting, on my Icotec 350. A little squeak on the T2 does seem to get their attention every time, though they won't always come in. One of the four I saw last night actually cantered straight at me in an adjoining paddock, but I'd put my rifle down after shooting the blighter above and couldn't reach it in time. God knows what he thought I was and I was not calling. I had scanned about with a red torch and saw his eyes about 160 yards out, then watched him through the thermal 'til he was about 30 yards away. Only then he realised what I was and scarpered. Talk about a dumb fox. He'll keep for a couple of nights from now.

I bought all the types of Whistle from FoxCalls.com and am trying them all out in different spots.

As I said all of a sudden there are foxes on my place coming from every direction. A couple even showed up on my trail cameras after I had quit for the evening.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I got this dog last night in the rain. He was running around like a headless chook spraying on fence posts at about 130 yards range with his mate further uphill. I used the little yellow 'squeaker' shown at the bottom of the photo [the cone shaped part of the call] very softly a couple of times and he came into about 70 yards very quickly. All of a sudden I'm getting lots of new foxes on my place - four last night in 80 minutes - though only this randy fool gave me a shot. I presume the increased activity is due to the breeding season beginning?

Jim

Good stuff Jim... :clap:

Annswer to your question is yes.. :thumbsup: ....they be getting hard-on's & wide-ons this time of the year... :lol:

As the winter develops you may find they will become harder to get...in winter when they are rearing the young they can often be impossible to get to come to a whistle.
I find when thats the case, the ones i get are mostly opportunistic, where your paths just cross with an unlucky fox, be that either a vixen full of pups, or a dog out food shopping.

When they are at the stage of choosing partners, its interesting to watch them (provided you can hold back on the trigger for long enough ;) ).
Ive seen up to 4 or 5 having what looked like a mexican stand-off...probably a vixen on heat, with a few boys around her all sizing each other up for a fight they dont want to have... :lol:
Then you toot the whistle & the vixen launches herself into the darkness along with the mature males, leaving one or two virgin males standing there for a short while until they realise they should probably run from those strange loud bangs coming from that bright light... :lol:

They'll keep on coming in as long as you have a vixen looking for a good strong man...so dont shoot her... :unknown: :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jun 2020, 1:42 pm

Thanks Stix,

So to put it simply, at this time of the year, i.e. breeding season, the 'lads' would 'root a boot'!

This would explain the goose I shot and the other idiot who ran at a gallop to within about 30 yards of me. If they do get harder to call in later in winter, they still need to eat, so I'll keep the bait station going.

I'm enjoying this,

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2020, 3:30 pm

Stix wrote:
When they are at the stage of choosing partners, its interesting to watch them (provided you can hold back on the trigger for long enough ;) ).
Ive seen up to 4 or 5 having what looked like a mexican stand-off...probably a vixen on heat, with a few boys around her all sizing each other up for a fight they dont want to have... :lol: they'll keep on coming in as long as you have a vixen looking for a good strong man...so dont shoot her... :unknown: :lol:

This raises a question for me... what is the general consensus for the trigger etiquette if you see a male [fox/pig/dog/roo] on the job? Do you wait politely until he's finished or send him off in style while he's in the saddle?
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jun 2020, 3:41 pm

If you gotta go, that's the way to go.

One-time Liberal leader Billy Snedden, a player during his life, came to public notice for his extracurricular activity only when he died of a heart attack in a Sydney motel. His legacy will always be associated with a headline in the now-defunct scandal rag The Truth: ''Snedden Died on the Job - Police Seeking Deathbed Girl. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control