The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by NTSOG » 29 Jun 2020, 1:45 pm

Good job Vicko. It sounds like you deserve a new rifle. I'm sure others can advise you on the 6.5CM. I was interested to read you have been using a red light. I bought a small red torch a few months ago and it has been useful when spotting eyes, especially when the blighters are hiding in thick reeds and my thermal viewer cannot get a reading. I've even spotted them in an open paddock with the red light when the thermal did not 'see' them.

Jim.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 29 Jun 2020, 4:00 pm

Hey Jim - it’s a z vision torch I put on top of the scope. 3 in one jobbie with an IR and white light as well. So when I go to a night vision scope it’ll be able to throw some more IR around. To be fair it was pretty good at picking up eyes, but my scope is only a 3-9 power on the hmr and with the red light it was reaching its limits at about 200 in terms of identification.
There’s a 30-06 coming and a 22-250 on the way for my dad, so I’ll give it a run too, but am currenty leaning towards a 243. From what I can gather it’s flatter inside 500 than the Creedmoor and I should be able to give me the flexibility to throw 45-55gr pills at foxes right up to 100gr pills at pigs and deer. That should bridge the gap between my hmr and the 30-06.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 03 Jul 2020, 1:42 pm

:D :D got this dog today it took him a bit to come to whistle no wonder he only had three legs looks like he was born like that there is black fur on his stump like on his feet
Attachments
Screenshot_20200703-134201_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200703-134201_Gallery.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 03 Jul 2020, 2:00 pm

:D :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20200703-135618_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200703-135618_Gallery.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 5765 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jul 2020, 7:05 pm

"stumpy" :clap: :clap: :clap:

l've shot deer the same and they get around without a problem, well done :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AJB » 04 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm

:D :D a few more dead reds
Attachments
Screenshot_20200704-220024_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200704-220024_Gallery.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 5725 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 04 Jul 2020, 10:06 pm

Attachments
Screenshot_20200704-220009_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200704-220009_Gallery.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 5725 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 04 Jul 2020, 10:07 pm

Attachments
Screenshot_20200704-215951_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200704-215951_Gallery.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 04 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm

Attachments
Screenshot_20200704-220808_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200704-220808_Gallery.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 10 Jul 2020, 12:56 pm

G'day all,

Here's some more food for the Wedgetails: dog, lung shot at 145 yards and ran 35 last night.

AJB that's a beautiful looking silver fox you shot. I assume that the coat colour is a genetic variation?

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1829yt.jpg
IMG_1829yt.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 5666 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AJB » 10 Jul 2020, 2:03 pm

Nice fox jim and yes it must be genetic there are a few like this were i go i saw one that was nearly all white and a nice dark colored one i called the white one in close but my mate left saftey on then by the time he got ready it bolted but thats cool ill go back and try again if i get it i think ill get it mounted i have never seen one like it
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jul 2020, 4:49 pm

Just as a point of interest for you guys using thermal scopes and or spotters.
I have been told that Polar Bears are so efficient with their body heat retention,, that only their nose shows up in a thermal scope.

I know it's been cold lately,,,,,, but there seems to be a distinct lack of Polar bears in my front paddocks (or back paddocks for that matter) to be
able to test this statement out and give a proof positive result. :lol:

Nevertheless, taken at face value, it is a very interesting point.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AJB » 10 Jul 2020, 5:00 pm

No probs DJ i dont use thermal scopes at all just the old stocka bushnell on my 22mag same on the 204 and a cheap spotlight ill have proof soon with a pic
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jul 2020, 5:11 pm

Forget the thermal on polar bears. There’s no need for expensive equipment....all u need is a packet of frozen peas. First you dig a really deep hole in the ice and u sprinkle the peas around the perimeter... then when the polar bear goes over for a pea u walk up behind and kick him in the icehole
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 10 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm

:D :D :D :clap: :clap:
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jul 2020, 5:18 pm

Yeah BLr I don't think we get polar bears in Australia mate because they get too many burrs in their fur
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jul 2020, 6:04 pm

I really really really want to shoot a panther and he does not have to be as black as night..any colour will do ....but it’s just not going to happen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 10 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

With the cold and the fog/mist rising up from the bottom of the paddocks both IR and thermal have quickly become useless on a number of recent evenings. I pulled stumps after 45 minutes a couple of nights ago due to the fog and met my wife coming out out of the house wearing her head torch on her way to feed her horses. The fog became even thicker and she became completely turned around in one of the paddocks and took quite a while to work out her bearings and get back to the house. She was cold and in a right mood. Any polar bear would have been sorted pretty damn quick.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jul 2020, 7:44 pm

Gee and I Thought that the reason why you couldn't sight a Polar Bear around here with thermal was the Bear used his fur color as camo and hide in the frost and fog. What about Drop Bears, do they show up with thermal gear?

And BLR243, Don't give up the good fight, keep trying for that Panther! On these cold nights, take a bottle of rum to assist in keeping out the cold, never know what you'll see then...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jul 2020, 8:24 pm

One night at Cunnamulla I returned to my camp at 2 am from a big night on the quad shooting a stack of reds ...I was very tired and cracked a can of bundy and coke and crawled into my swag with my dog ....the night was very clear and I was sleeping in the open. The stars were amazing ...but it did not stop at that ....as I lay there sore and dirty all the stars started to move in random little circles....it was as if the solar system was putting on a little show for me to reward me for the nights work. One can of rum is never enough to affect my vision but maybe it was the fatigue /rum combo ...I’ll never understand it but I’ll never forget it either ....the Aussie bush truly is an amazing place
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2020, 11:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:I really really really want to shoot a panther and he does not have to be as black as night..any colour will do ....but it’s just not going to happen

l sighted the rifle for the guy who shot the big cat that was on the front of an issue of the ssaa mag years ago
it was a 7mm rem mag with a kahles scope and l didn't know it moved under recoil, the worst weatherby eyebrow l have ever had
the claret ran freely that day
years ago l was in my position to shoot a deer when he came out of cover, my uncle who wasn't feeling well had stayed in the car watching from a long distance, he reckoned he saw a big black cat stalking me then disappear, l didn't see anything
also on a trip to bendigo, country vic once the family and l saw in the middle of a paddock a big black cat slinking along in the white frost, l pulled the car over for a better look, it was at distance but it looked huge

l dont want to see a cat that will stalk me :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jul 2020, 2:58 pm

Years and years ago around the Woolgoolga area in NSW a black panther(s) caused a lot of damage to banana plantations chasing possum. Didn't catch up with it but saw the damage done and a few sightings where reported between just south of Woolgoolga along the Highway.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jul 2020, 7:22 pm

G'day,

Tonight's entertainment: no black panther, but a ginger-striped moggy with a pretty collar and a dog fox, both of which came in close and quickly to the squeaky yellow T2 whistle at about 6:35 or so, one after the other, on a farm 800 yards down the road. They were living in a deep gully full of black berries and gorse.

I didn't think cats came to whistles, but this one did.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1831re.jpg
IMG_1831re.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
IMG_1830re.jpg
IMG_1830re.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jul 2020, 11:49 pm

My cat has gone missing He is ginger in colour wearing a thin bright orange coloured collar ....pm me if you find him I miss him very much
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 17 Jul 2020, 6:36 am

Good work jim ive had a fair few cats come to whistle its great watching them stalk in close to eat a bullet
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 17 Jul 2020, 7:15 am

Hi Blr243,

I didn't miss it and I'm sure the local Wedgetails will appreciate both carcasses over the next few days; it's -1C this morning and tucker is fairly scarce. Anyway a cat from Victoria might carry the Chinese virus and travel would be banned.

AJB: I didn't realise it was a cat until after I dropped it. In the NV [IR] scope it looked just like a fox coming straight at me and I didn't have time to notice any differences. I knew it was living in the gully - I'd seen it before - and I was after it as the farmer was sick of it hanging about and fighting his house cat.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 17 Jul 2020, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2020, 8:40 am

Gee, you blokes are getting into them. Well done
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:25 am

I was joking. My cat has gone missing but he’s jet black , no collar and about 120 kilos
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Jul 2020, 11:36 am

Jesus Blr 120kg what were you feeding him :wtf: :) :shock: ''uranium'' or was he a pig called ''Pussycat'' :thumbsup: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :sarcasm: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AJB » 17 Jul 2020, 11:56 am

:D :D got these two this morning one was in bad condition done him a favour
Attachments
Screenshot_20200717-115051_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-115051_Gallery.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5484 times
AJB
Lance Corporal