The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2021, 11:23 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day All,

Am I delusional or has a post [yesterday] by mchughcb referring to a video of fox hunting disappeared? I know I'm not hungover as I don't drink grog, I'm not taking the sorts of pills administered in the old funny farms, nor have I fallen off my bike and whacked myself on the bonce.

Jim

I noticed the one about vaccination and ranges entry had gone. Looking now, yes seems your right and the one winging about entry to SA has gone too.

That's a shame. :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 30 Dec 2021, 11:36 am

Am I delusional or has a post [yesterday] by mchughcb referring to a video of fox hunting disappeared? I know I'm not hungover as I don't drink grog, I'm not taking the sorts of pills administered in the old funny farms, nor have I fallen off my bike and whacked myself on the bonce.

Jim

:lol:

Don't worry I got plenty.
Attachments
Good_Red_Day.jpeg
Good_Red_Day.jpeg (198.64 KiB) Viewed 7513 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Dec 2021, 12:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Jim

I noticed the one about vaccination and ranges entry had gone. Looking now, yes seems your right and the one winging about entry to SA has gone too.

About time. f***ing sick of seeing covid s**t everywhere
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 30 Dec 2021, 12:35 pm

Couple of foxes

- again :lol:
Attachments
Couple of Foxes.jpeg
Couple of Foxes.jpeg (418.84 KiB) Viewed 7501 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 30 Dec 2021, 1:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Jim

Ditto to that
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jan 2022, 9:48 am

This old fella ran out of the lantana and into a clearing full of long grass last night.
Thought he was a "dog" and was disappointed to discover this morning that it was only Brer Fox.

100_6067.JPG
100_6067.JPG (695.88 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 09 Jan 2022, 8:58 pm

Die Judicii wrote:This old fella ran out of the lantana and into a clearing full of long grass last night.
Thought he was a "dog" and was disappointed to discover this morning that it was only Brer Fox.

100_6067.JPG

Nice one DJ, a fox is a fox :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm

Elmer wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:This old fella ran out of the lantana and into a clearing full of long grass last night.

100_6067.JPG

Thanks Mate,,,,,,
Plus you enabled the posting that made my 3,000th :lol: :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 10 Jan 2022, 9:52 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Elmer wrote:

100_6067.JPG

Thanks Mate,,,,,,
8-)
:lol: Mate is this a sign the firearm gods are smiling upon us with your 3000th postings and my 3000 subs? :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Jan 2022, 11:21 pm

Elmer wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
Elmer wrote:

100_6067.JPG

Thanks Mate,,,,,,
8-)
:lol: Mate is this a sign the firearm gods are smiling upon us with your 3000th postings and my 3000 subs? :lol:

I don't know what I'd do with 3000 subs....one can be hard enough..... ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 19 Jan 2022, 6:25 am

G'day All,

I've had a sudden flood of foxes out the back paddock in the last two weeks. Apparently they've come out of hiding and are roaming around. [Is it cricket season yet?] I've whacked 5 with the Weihrauch 60J [.222 Rem] at ranges from 65 to 165 yards. Two were already out in the open when I walked out the back gate at 8:45 in the evening. All came towards me when I lip-squeaked. I've seen a few others at a distance, but I suspect they scented me as the SE wind swirls around the wind-break plantations on my place.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2022, 3:54 am

Ok... I found where a big old beautiful looking deep red fox spends his day laying around watching his rabbit farm.
Iv seen him there before on and off but had forgotten about him.

300 odd yards off in that patch of green.

Lay there scoping that patch for rabbits for quite some time in the cool gusty conditions.
Nothing was moving, so eventually I let one rip with the .223 to see If my estimated POI was correct... it nailed the tiny patch of dirt I was aiming at... 3 seconds passed and I looked back through the scope to see that big red bastard sniffing the impact sight. He'd been minding his own business down there right near the point of impact out of sight daydreaming about his next meal.
I slammed another down the spout but he snuck around the corner out of sight before I could squeeze a clean shot off.

Anyhow, I know where I'll be spending the next few days laying n waiting :thumbsup:
Screenshot_20220308-042133_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220308-042133_Gallery.jpg (285.31 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Mar 2022, 9:10 am

OOW,,,,,,,,, with that view and your dedication to lay in wait for "the next couple of days" makes me wonder if you would be
better off doing a quick trip to Russia,, and spend a couple of days outside the Kremlin.
:thumbsup: :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Mar 2022, 1:19 pm

Gut shot ok in that situation
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2022, 2:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:Gut shot ok in that situation

If you mean in Moscow, I agree. Foxes I don't. They deserve better IMO.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Mar 2022, 8:14 pm

In Sputin's case,,,,,,,, not to start with.

I'd go so far as to say ,,,,, Start at the foot as a ranging shot, and then work upwards shot by shot.

Remove this if you will Mods,,,,,,,, but it's high time the rest of the world stopped pussy footing around.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2022, 8:43 pm

No BS he ran from cover straight to where the bullet hit sniffed around for a second or two :lol:
I just wasn't ready and was taken by surprise.

I'm in no rush, he'll be back and I want a nice clean daytime kill on him, my goal is a headshot on this guy and I'm prepared to wait for it.I want that pelt you should see this thing. Best looking fox I've seen in years

I sat there today, ranged it properly at 275 meters -8 incline
And just watched for a couple of hours while the wind blew it ass off... it was just nice to lay there doing SAF 8-)
Screenshot_20220308-210222_Gallery.jpg
Day 2
Screenshot_20220308-210222_Gallery.jpg (640.36 KiB) Viewed 5826 times

Screenshot_20220308-210148_Gallery.jpg
This is my church
Screenshot_20220308-210148_Gallery.jpg (346.9 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm

Not going to try bait or whistle?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Mar 2022, 8:52 pm

My gutshot comment was strictly for the animal in Russia
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Mar 2022, 7:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:Not going to try bait or whistle?

A bait would more than likely cause hairslip in the pelt (as far as I know)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Mar 2022, 8:02 am

I could grab the shotgun & whistle and have him gone in the next few hours but honestly, don't want to make things too easy. Iv never done it this way before and I'm actually enjoying it.
I don't know why but for some reason I feel this guy needs a different level of respect... I keep saying it, I've never seen a fox like it and I've seen countless, including pictures online.
We're talking some ultra fine super stud.

I'm giving myself 6 weeks off beginning next week I need a spell from the last eight weeks off, or is that eleven? What year is it ?
This guy just might be the beginning of my retirement package.
Today iv got the range mat, food, water... tomorrow I might add a surround sound system.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2022, 8:25 am

Die Judicii wrote:

A bait would more than likely cause hairslip in the pelt (as far as I know)

Not poison. I meant chicken neck, or dog food etc.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Mar 2022, 3:54 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

I could grab the shotgun & whistle and have him gone in the next few hours but honestly, don't want to make things too easy. Iv never done it this way before and I'm actually enjoying it.
I don't know why but for some reason I feel this guy needs a different level of respect... I keep saying it, I've never seen a fox like it and I've seen countless, including pictures online.

I'm giving myself 6 weeks off beginning next week I need a spell from the last eight weeks off, or is that eleven? What year is it ?
Today iv got the range mat, food, water... tomorrow I might add a surround sound system.

Methinks your beginning to understand part of the reason why I spend so many hours sitting and waiting on the dogs.
Before you know it, you'll be laying out,,,, and shaking the frost off yer hat and shoulders. :lol:

Have you thought of getting a good telescopic lens on the camera and getting some good pics of him ???
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by ratpaker » 27 Mar 2022, 7:33 pm

Myself and 2 mates had a good night last week...
9 in total....one not collected due to it being through 3 electric fences, way past midnight, we were old tired and grumpy!
Attachments
276279397_10158208122972172_1681445742375873644_n.jpg
276279397_10158208122972172_1681445742375873644_n.jpg (667.68 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2022, 6:44 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

Manage to get that bugger yet?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 08 Apr 2022, 11:50 pm

first night out using the new GSCI S6100 thermal.....farmer loosing lambs so asked me if i could take a look.....ideal time to test the new scope out.....
12 taken on the 600 acres but two lost in the long grass that couldnt be found....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 09 Apr 2022, 11:02 am

So it works eh?
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 09 Apr 2022, 1:04 pm

I've had a sudden flood of foxes out the back paddock in the last two weeks. Apparently they've come out of hiding and are roaming around. [Is it cricket season yet?] I've whacked 5 with the Weihrauch 60J [.222 Rem] at ranges from 65 to 165 yards. Two were already out in the open when I walked out the back gate at 8:45 in the evening. All came towards me when I lip-squeaked. I've seen a few others at a distance, but I suspect they scented me as the SE wind swirls around the wind-break plantations on my place.

Jim

Here's one from 10 yards. Pew, Pew, Pew.

https://youtu.be/Eaczw7R3__0
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 10 Apr 2022, 6:44 am

G'day mchughcb,

I do enjoy your videos and seeing your Dachshund doing what Dachshunds are meant to do. It's clear the dogs really enjoy going out hunting with you.

I've had a good week: three hares, three foxes plus one very long range 'probable' - I couldn't it find next morning after it made it into the bush. Speaking of close range I was walking back to the house last evening and walked into a small horse paddock to scan with the thermal. To my surprise there was a fat vixen about 35 yards away. The strong wind was blowing in my favour and she didn't see me as she appeared to be hunting for crickets in the ploughed ground. I backed out and set up, resting the rifle on a fence post until she gave me a shot at 50 yards.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 10 Apr 2022, 9:08 am

Great stuff. I'm hoping a few hares myself this season.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control