The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:28 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:49 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:59 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 11 Mar 2019, 7:38 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Awsome pics bigfella do you recommend an electronic caller or does the whistle work as good I've only ever whistled or hand called them in
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

love your work BFS :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

That's a few foxes BFS. What sort of caller is that in some of the pics? Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 8:29 pm

AJB wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: Awsome pics bigfella do you recommend an electronic caller or does the whistle work as good I've only ever whistled or hand called them in

The Callers can be very effective mate, I have the Foxpro Shockwave, also use several different whistles and a scotch predator caller (some days one will work where others don't) so having a few options can make the difference I find.

I like the fox pro as I can sit it off to the side say 100m or so away and the foxes are focused on it and not me which can come in handy in open areas etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 8:35 pm

bigrich wrote:love your work BFS :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Cheers BR, I don't mind rolling the foxes, there are a hell of a lot more out there that I didn't bother taking pics (can't be stuffed driving 350m+ at night to take a pic of dead foxes.

They should be getting nice and active now and you should be seeing quite a few getting around looking for mates (I haven't bothered chasing them for a good yr or so) been busy with other things and health issues but have been thinking of getting out if I can be bothered that is, seen one the other day out cutting firewood, he was lucky he didn't hang around long as I had the Tikkler 308 sitting in the ute (was going to go for an armed bushwalk looking for a few pigs) but was too stuffed after cutting firewood to be bothered with it all. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 12 Mar 2019, 6:39 am

Thanks big fella I'm going to get the fox pro ill see how it goes your pics have made me keen as
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 8:14 am

AJB wrote:Thanks big fella I'm going to get the fox pro ill see how it goes your pics have made me keen as

Your welcome mate, foxes are great fun to call in, I've had em stand right next to me at times, even had one nearly in my lap it came in that hard, ended up covered in bark, dirt and leaves it was in that much of a hurry, lucky for it I was looking to the left instead of front on when it happened :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 5:39 pm

:violin: :violin: got this one at lunch today had the mainge real bad seen a lot like this latley around the back hills of picton only good fox is a dead fox
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-16-18-28-51.png
Screenshot_2019-03-16-18-28-51.png (447.27 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2019, 5:44 pm

You did hin a great favour AJB.

what was the cartridge.?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

Nice one AJB, she/he looks like they have been doing it real tuff, I don't often see them like that out this way (most of em seem to be in pretty good nick for the most part) I do remember shooting one like that yrs and yrs ago no, it was that hungry it kept raiding our rubbish pit we had going out camping and wasn't scared of us at all it just stayed there and scrounged for food, I ended up putting it down as it really smelt bad and looked like it was on it's last legs really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:06 pm

Thanx I use a 22 magnum by Savage for close calling but I Also have a savage 204 ruger for when the little buggers don't budge at long range it has to be one of the best fox guns ever never let's me down
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:15 pm

This is one I got up right next to it they seem to be very disorientated and don't bother running off I didn't have my riffle with me and your right big fellas it stunk real bad I think they get it from wombat holes the pic ain't the best but ya can see it's not healthy the one I shot today was a dog
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-09-17-18-11-50.png
Screenshot_2018-09-17-18-11-50.png (692.96 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2019, 6:22 pm

AJB wrote:This is one I got up right next to it they seem to be very disorientated and don't bother running off I didn't have my riffle with me and your right big fellas it stunk real bad I think they get it from wombat holes the pic ain't the best but ya can see it's not healthy the one I shot today was a dog

Yeah it's in poor condition too hey, I hate seeing em like that, it's a shame you didn't have something to put it down with hey. Yeah I don't know why they get like that (ever bothered trying to find out to be honest) so can't say why it's so, I know the females can get a bit mangy after having pups but I put that down to being down a hole with em for a fair bit of time and of course sustaining them during that time. :drinks:

keep up the great work mate :thumbsup:

P.S. I agree re the 204 - it's a great cal for nailing foxes at long distances :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:52 pm

Got this pup a few months back 204 to the head at around 250 mtrs dropped on the spot it was sitting on a rock with another pup it dropped and the other pup went like a bat out of hell thew long grass I couldn't line it up it was that fast :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-14-16-27-25.png
Screenshot_2019-03-14-16-27-25.png (449.06 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Apr 2019, 8:41 pm

I took the opportunity last night (Tuesday) to do some spotlighting. The property was reasonably close to home so it wasn’t a major mission to get there. The property is easy to get around and the owner has seen a few foxes recently. I saw one fox almost straight away, but he was a long way off and wouldn’t come into the caller. The swine! So I drove around and tried different calls with plenty of nothing to show for my efforts. I then decided to switch to a “fox pup distress call”. The paddock was flat clear and bounded by trees. A flock of sheep were off to one side being the dimwitted quadrupeds I love so much at a barbecue.

I set up the call. Sat in the car and waited. When I switched the spotlight on a few minutes later, there sitting in the paddock was a quizzical fox. I managed to satisfy its’ curiosity about the noise with my .204. It was a formerly very healthy looking vixen. This fox has taken my tally for this year to 22. I also bowled over a couple of Roos. So in all it was an enjoyable mid week trip. Much better than sitting at home watching telly.

9A8C6C76-6DFA-47CE-82F1-6A57F083DAAC.jpeg
9A8C6C76-6DFA-47CE-82F1-6A57F083DAAC.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5913 times
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 04 Apr 2019, 11:58 am

Nice one bruiser you had better luck than me went out to a property last Saturday around lunch time called 3 to the whistle and stuffed up every shot but still better then watching TV
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 04 Apr 2019, 5:48 pm

Nice work Bruiser.
I'm just out sniping a few bunnies at the moment before dark then I'll have a look for a few foxes . Nothing to hectic be in bed by eleven ! :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2019, 5:58 pm

Bludy hell bruiser...all my foxes moved over your way... :unknown:
This time last year id had around your amount...
Not telling how many ive nailed so far this year...bloody embarrasing not to mention annoying.

And you're a tease SthWst...a bloody tease...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the comments fellas. We certainly seem to have a lot of foxes here along the south coast of WA. I think the fact we are relatively sparsely populated and isolated contributes to the numbers. What l have found is time out in the paddocks helps build up the numbers shot. I also get to shoot on several different properties so I am learning what works and what doesn’t. Here are a couple of extra foxes I shot two weeks ago on another property

B49CAD2F-6231-4461-B7F4-8904E2238DC3.jpeg
B49CAD2F-6231-4461-B7F4-8904E2238DC3.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5872 times

I went out with a mate of mine on that evening and we saw at least half a dozen foxes. I am sure I shot one extra fox. It was in a very tussocky area and we couldn’t find it.
Attachments
1349405A-3E30-40D3-BF77-693594767D8E.jpeg
1349405A-3E30-40D3-BF77-693594767D8E.jpeg (648.07 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

Same here bruiser , shot three last night .
Solid hits , all went down but surprisingly two had enough energy to drag themselves down into the tussocky creek flats ! Big blood trails so I don't think they'd live long .
Tough buggers , shot with 223 rem Winchester super x 55 gr sp ammo .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2019, 5:21 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Same here bruiser , shot three last night .
Solid hits , all went down but surprisingly two had enough energy to drag themselves down into the tussocky creek flats ! Big blood trails so I don't think they'd live long .

Not having a go. I have shot a fair few with a 223. Yet to have a chest shot one not be a bang flop. If i had 2 run off i would be checking my zero.

Other wise, bloody well done.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Apr 2019, 6:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Same here bruiser , shot three last night .

Not having a go. I have shot a fair few with a 223. Yet to have a chest shot one not be a bang flop. If i had 2 run off i would be checking my zero.

Other wise, bloody well done.

Yes good point I'm going to do it over the weekend .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Apr 2019, 3:46 pm

I though I was doing well with my fox shooting until I spoke to a bloke at work. I was speaking o him about an upcoming Red Card For Foxes shoot. They run it as a competition. He tells he was in a team that won it several years with 70 foxes in one night!! Oh my gawd! He said they lined up several properties for the night and just went from each one quite quickly. I am going to have a crack at the upcoming event. Hard to see us getting close to those numbers.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Apr 2019, 4:19 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I though I was doing well with my fox shooting until I spoke to a bloke at work. I was speaking o him about an upcoming Red Card For Foxes shoot. They run it as a competition. He tells he was in a team that won it several years ago with 70 foxes in one night!! Oh my gawd! He said they lined up several properties for the night and just went from each one quite quickly. I am going to have a crack at the upcoming event. Hard to see us getting close to those numbers.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 16 Apr 2019, 8:01 pm

Went for a shot tonight only had the .308 and 165gr gamekings wasn’t looking for foxes but this fella sat up 100m away..... think it might have been over kill
Attachments
BBBB1B48-0CDB-406A-BFA4-7DF15AE39BE9.jpeg
BBBB1B48-0CDB-406A-BFA4-7DF15AE39BE9.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
D197AC62-827B-4015-B8DA-AC8E10324868.jpeg
D197AC62-827B-4015-B8DA-AC8E10324868.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Apr 2019, 8:16 pm

Jon79 wrote:Went for a shot tonight only had the .308 and 165gr gamekings wasn’t looking for foxes but this fella sat up 100m away..... think it might have been over kill

No Jon. I’m not seeing it. You just didn’t want to risk a flesh wound, that’s all. Mind you, not really a lot of point checking for a pulse.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control