The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 9:57 am

Hey AJB...nice lookin fox... :clap:
Nice tail... :thumbsup:

Couple things...

Dont mean to sound picky... :) ...but can you crop the pics you post...? :unknown: :)
Its just a big lot of black nothing that comes with a little lot of picture... :)

Also...you still keeping & tanning the furs...?

If so, if you keep them, how do you stroe them all...?

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 10:44 am

No probs stix it would only let me submit screen shots ill try and sort it and yes i still keep good furs i salt them heavily and roll em up put in plastic shopping bag then in the chest freezer out back they last for ever but make sure it is a cool day when ya defrost em then flesh pin out resalt for a day then wash with dish soap then into pickle for 3 days rewash with soap then clean water into washing machine for a good sin peg out in shade let dry slowly then a good lube on warm or hot days dont bother you will get hair slip in ears mouth snout and it really s**ts ya after all that effort the missus aint to keen on me spin furs in machine but it works great i usually wait till shes out
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 11:00 am

Also make sure ya really check foxes for mange and wear gloves there is a lot of mangey ones around at the moment look on back legs and tail i dont skin any that even have a tiny patch of fur missing not worth it
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 02 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

I rarely touch a shot fox but if I do it’s to reposition it’s body for a more ethical photo ...so I just try to use the tip of my boot. If mange is a mite , then in regards to transfer does a mite have to jump on my leg , and stay with me as I walk back to my dog and then jump on my dog ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 2:35 pm

Not sure how it transfers blr but i no they get it from wombats would be a real pain if ya dog got it sends foxes mad they even seem to be really keen to come to whistle when mangey probably cause there starving hungry ive seen them eating cow pats and after i shot it and had a look it had no teeth so must of only been able to eat s**t
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 5:03 pm

Im no scientist BLR...but these "mites" are microscopic to the best of my knowledge...i dont think you'll see them leaping from boot to dog...

I did some reading a while back & seem to remember there being a few different types...as well as that it is everywhere, however some genetic lines in dogs/(affected animals) the mite has a bad effect on the immune system of some (thats the result we see), & not on others... :unknown:

Anyway...id research it a little given you take your dog out with you.

An old bloke around the corner from me has a Staffie that has skin issues--the vet has told him its a mite & that the only cure is hundreds of dollars of drugs every 3 months...the poor bloke is beside himself because he cant afford it being on a pension, he's just about in tears every time i see him because of the trauma seeing his dog in distress, but happy, & his missus wont let him put her down...

He's thinking of going to the vet & having her put to sleep & telling his wife she just got sick & died...

I find it hard to believe they dont have a cure, or something less expensive...i mean they dip sheep for pete'e sake...& i cant remember a time ever having seen or heard a farmer having had to put a dog down for mange...

Anyway...babbling on here...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 5:03 pm

AJB...

So...how do you store all the furs once tanned...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 5:24 pm

I store them in my granny flat have heaps on the wall on floor etc not sure what ill do with em but the more the merry i reackon i love the nice winter coats its a shame to waste a good fur
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 02 Feb 2020, 5:42 pm

Assuming I’m too lazy to tan a hide , what happens to a skin if I throughly clean it salt it and peg it out. I know it will b dry and stiff as a board but will it b adequate ly preserved?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 5:50 pm

Blr yes it will last for a few months and become stiff as a board better to store in freezer as long as ya salt em straight away they last a few days before freezer
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 6:09 pm

Thanks AJB... :thumbsup:
But HOW do you store them...i mean the ones that arent on show...?

Or are they all on show & its an acre sized granny flat...?...cos you must have eeeps'n'eeeps of''em...

Meaning, do you hang them...lay them on top of one another...?...just buy more furniture to put them on...?

:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 6:27 pm

Yeah mate just lay em on top of each other and yeah got a few good piles of fur
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 02 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm

Stix tell ya mate to try putting a thick layer of manuka honey on effected area on his dog ive heard it works for all sorts of thingsbut it might be hard to stop it licking it off
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 6:44 pm

Ok cheers AJB...
Ive found the fur goes flat if layed on top of one another...
Ive got a fur or 2 twhere the fur seems to have created it own 'memory" & is now permanently a little skewed in a couple of places...
Thats why i thought id ask...

AJB wrote:Stix tell ya mate to try putting a thick layer of manuka honey on effected area on his dog ive heard it works for all sorts of thingsbut it might be hard to stop it licking it off

As for the mites...
Ill mention the honey to him...but think better served to ask a few seasoned sheep farmers...im sure plenty of farm dogs have killed plenty of foxes during white fella's time here...

Thanks for the tip...it'd be interesting to hear anyone elses experience with mange & their dogs... :)

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2020, 7:27 pm

Stix, bit of info here regarding treatment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 03 Feb 2020, 9:26 pm

Here's a fox from yesterdat at about 8m. Only had half a second to either turn camera on or shoot so i shot and didn't film it being shredded by the 20g. I always get difficult positions.

https://youtu.be/_i2jmVJvMKc
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AJB » 04 Feb 2020, 5:23 pm

:D :D
Attachments
20191226_230200.jpg
20191226_230200.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 4636 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 04 Feb 2020, 11:38 pm

Quick look on 200 acres i havent been to for a while saw these 5 bite the deck....and a number of others seen but in next doo0rs place....
Sako 85 204 with a GSCI S675 thermal scope....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 12:09 pm

Brinny the great strikes again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 15 Feb 2020, 7:25 am

Attachments
Screenshot_20200215-002638_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200215-002638_Gallery.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 5157 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 15 Feb 2020, 7:26 am

Attachments
Screenshot_20200215-002658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200215-002658_Gallery.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5157 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 15 Feb 2020, 11:27 am

the cute little bugger is having a snooze :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 15 Feb 2020, 11:54 am

Hi Bent arrow

Nice shooting .
Off topic , noticed you have a hawke scope .
how do you find it , im looking at getting one to put my pard 007on .
what model and magnification is it .

cheers tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm

AJB. I compliment you on your fox presentation photo skills. I don’t like to see any unnecessary gore. With pigs I tend to kick dirt across it if I can. And I’ll mostly use my boot to shuffle a fox around a bit into a better position if I have to
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AJB » 15 Feb 2020, 2:30 pm

Thanx blr i do try to hide the gore but sometimes its hard to hide after the 204 has hit em
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rbaron25 » 19 Feb 2020, 8:26 pm

Cheers mate....generally dont start this early as a rule....but had an urgent SOS off a cocky lambing late.....He has 100 acres himself and leases another 100 acres next to him.....
In 6 trips there i have taken 30 foxes off the 200 acres he has....Which has led to a couple of his neighbors asking me to shoot their places as well....
Cant beat word of mouth..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ha ha...I wish Stix.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have been lucky to see 2 in the last few months
rbaron25
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AJB » 21 Feb 2020, 10:41 am

Attachments
Screenshot_20200221-113737_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-113737_Gallery.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 5292 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 21 Feb 2020, 10:43 am

:D :) :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20200221-113755_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-113755_Gallery.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 5292 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm

Tilb004 wrote:Hi Bent arrow

Nice shooting .
Off topic , noticed you have a hawke scope .
how do you find it , im looking at getting one to put my pard 007on .
what model and magnification is it .

cheers tilbs

Hi Tib004, there is a you tube ramble by Ozzie on his PARD 007 and a Howa 204 and I'm sure the rifle has a Hawke scope. Might be worth a look if only for the Pard 007.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AJB » 29 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm

:D :D :D 3 more to this years tally
Attachments
Screenshot_20200229-232138_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200229-232138_Gallery.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 5192 times
AJB
Lance Corporal