The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by AJB » 23 Apr 2019, 9:13 am

Cool story bruiser they look to be in good condition
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 2:33 pm

Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.

Thanks Bigfella. There’s a Redcard For Foxes event this Saturday night. So hopefully we will get a few more. I am finding the fox shooting quite addictive. It’s a bit like the enjoyment I got Barra fishing when I lived in Kununurra years ago. Learning how to do it and building up a little bit of skill is quite satisfying. Still a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 8:37 pm

AJB wrote::violin: :violin:

That’s a nice haul AJB. What rifle are you using? It looks an effective bit of kit.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 8:40 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.

Thanks Bigfella. There’s a Redcard For Foxes event this Saturday night. So hopefully we will get a few more. I am finding the fox shooting quite addictive. It’s a bit like the enjoyment I got Barra fishing when I lived in Kununurra years ago. Learning how to do it and building up a little bit of skill is quite satisfying. Still a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me though.

Very addictive mate - I used to get right into it but have lost a bit of interest in it over the last few yrs but trying to find my mojo again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 10:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

Very addictive mate - I used to get right into it but have lost a bit of interest in it over the last few yrs but trying to find my mojo again.

It’s funny how things like that happen. Over the years I’ve gotten right into my motorcycling, fishing and golf. At the moment it’s the shooting that has taken hold again. My wife worries whenever I express an interest in a new hobby. She reckons I have plenty to be going on with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 11:06 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

It’s funny how things like that happen. Over the years I’ve gotten right into my motorcycling, fishing and golf. At the moment it’s the shooting that has taken hold again. My wife worries whenever I express an interest in a new hobby. She reckons I have plenty to be going on with.

Yeah I think most people are like that mate, we ebb and flow I guess, I was right into fishing as a young fella, not so much these days - Never tried golf, maybe one day :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm

Golf is enjoyable but you really have to stick it out for a few years to develop any kind of consistency. The great thing about living in Australia is we are all free to pursue what interests us. There is enough space and opportunity to have a great life if you want it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 24 Apr 2019, 9:21 am

Thanx Bruiser I'm using 22 magnum were I hunt is close to two houses they don't mind me shooting so I'd rather not make to much noise its perfect for close shooting I use a few different whistles but latley have mastered the hand call it takes a bit of practice but once you get it I find it very effective you would be surprised how loud it can be and how many different animals it attracts had a hawk nealy land in my lap roos cows and all sorts but the fox loves it I have spotted them out in paddock one little squeak and them come running
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Apr 2019, 2:32 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Golf is enjoyable but you really have to stick it out for a few years to develop any kind of consistency. The great thing about living in Australia is we are all free to pursue what interests us. There is enough space and opportunity to have a great life if you want it.

Golf...
Did you say golf...?

Played it once...
Wasted the day finding 14 balls while looking for the 11 balls i lost... :roll:

So...for me the only thing that would make golf anywhere CLOSE to enjoyable, is if you hit the ball with your choice of club...& i try shoot it where it lands with my choice of rifle/chambering... :shock:
Yep...!!
There...see...now its sounding interesting hey...!!! :D

Aside from that golf is but one of three things...
Either boring as bat s**t...
Has a high potential to induce violent temper if playing...
Or...it puts you to sleep watching it on TV after a big lunch time feed in summer...

Each to his own though... :)

Now back to the important stuff...!!

Got this wee fella late last year...

2018-11-27 21.43.17.jpg
Good looking wee lad...
2018-11-27 21.43.17.jpg (501.78 KiB) Viewed 5632 times

Got him while tearing the ring outa this poor little bunny...
Only 50 yds & i missed the first shot at him... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Couldnt believe it...
But he came back for another mouthful & ended up eating something he didnt expect...a wee Zmax...

This how he landed...
2018-11-27 21.40.55.jpg
2018-11-27 21.40.55.jpg (322.9 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Apr 2019, 2:45 pm

Screenshot_20190424-140704_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140704_Gallery.jpg (324.09 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-140733_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140733_Gallery.jpg (473.56 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-140817_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140817_Gallery.jpg (315.46 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-140836_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140836_Gallery.jpg (299.67 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-140901_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140901_Gallery.jpg (582.43 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-140915_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-140915_Gallery.jpg (390.23 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Screenshot_20190424-141036_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-141036_Gallery.jpg (263.17 KiB) Viewed 5630 times

Guess who just worked out how to get images from his camera to his phone lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 24 Apr 2019, 7:20 pm

Stix wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:Golf is enjoyable but you really have to stick it out for a few years to develop any kind of consistency. The great thing about living in Australia is we are all free to pursue what interests us. There is enough space and opportunity to have a great life if you want it.

Golf...
Did you say golf...?

Played it once...

So...for me the only thing that would make golf anywhere CLOSE to enjoyable, is if you hit the ball with your choice of club...& i try shoot it where it lands with my choice of rifle/chambering... :shock:
Yep...!!

Or...it puts you to sleep watching it on TV after a big lunch time feed in summer...

2018-11-27 21.43.17.jpg

Couldnt believe it...
But he came back for another mouthful & ended up eating something he didnt expect...a wee Zmax...

This how he landed...
2018-11-27 21.40.55.jpg

Good photos there Stix. Greed certainly undid that fox!

Golf? It is definitely not for everyone. It can be pretty frustrating.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Stix wrote:

Golf...
Did you say golf...?

Played it once...

Yep...!!

2018-11-27 21.43.17.jpg

Couldnt believe it...

This how he landed...
2018-11-27 21.40.55.jpg

Good photos there Stix. Greed certainly undid that fox!

Golf? It is definitely not for everyone. It can be pretty frustrating.

Thanks Bruiser...that young fox was funny to watch actually...he didnt know what happened with the first shot & he jumped about then took off like a rocket...
He pulled up again as he got a wiff of the bunny...he sniffed his way back to the bunny having completely forgot he very nearly lost his life.
I wstched him shake the bunny from side to side, & the more it hit him on tge sides of his face, the more aggressive he got with it...
After he thought he'd killed it again & started tearing at it i touched off the shot that threw him off the bunny.
He looked mighty cute through the scope & i nearly let him go for another day...lol

As for golf...not for me...shooting is plenty frustrating enough but the fliers arent as bad...lol

Foxing is great fun...i love spotlighting them...got 5 last weekend..and 2 & a cat the weekend before... :clap:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 26 Apr 2019, 8:48 am

have had a run of getting foxes with no tails, half a tail or 3/4 of a tail lately all on different properties
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm

Jon79 wrote:have had a run of getting foxes with no tails, half a tail or 3/4 of a tail lately all on different properties

Maybe try hanging on to the back legs...spread the load a bit... :unknown:

(Couldnt resist... :drinks:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

Golf is a good walk spoiled. M Twain.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Apr 2019, 3:50 pm

Geez Bigpete the top pic it looks as though you shot that one in the nut sack with the arrow well done :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2019, 1:01 am

So on a new property over easter, i was heading off to do some familiarisation with the allotment, & figered ill be back before dark so wont need to hook up the light rig...

So heading over a hill after sunset to check out the last few paddocks, i see what looks to be a mallee root couple hundred yards down the bottom of the hill & its moving...thinking its due to not having cracked a can yet, i decide to confirm it with the rangefinder, & sure enough, by the time i got to it, it had become wedged back in the ground again... :lol:
2019-04-28 23.38.50.jpg
Close-up pic of waddling mallee root...
2019-04-28 23.38.50.jpg (511.09 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

Did a quick loop of the last 2 paddocks as it was too dark to see now so wanted to hurry back for a feed & get back out with the light.
As i drove back to within 80 yds of where the moving mallee root was, a bloody fox popped up & darted accross my path & through the fence...

It pulled up on the other side of the fence so i turned the car with the spotty pointing at it, to which it took off again, but pulled up to look back.
So i turned the car a little more slowly to get enough light to see its eyes...
Stuck the 204 in the 'V' of the door & windscreen pillar & took a punt on where its chest was based on the direction it was moving (my right to left).

After the crack, i heard the solid wollup of a hit & thought i saw its silhouette take off...

I had no idea either how far it had ran, or how far it was when i shot, so i drove the area in a grid pattern hoping to find it.

I guessed it was 120-150 yds from me so my grid search went out to about 180yds & found nothing.

Drove out there in the morning & found it straight away...it was a good 240 yds from where id let rip...i was wsy off & wasted 20 mins lookin for it the night before.
2019-04-23 23.16.59.jpg
Found him...!!
2019-04-23 23.16.59.jpg (648.06 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

You can see i got him a little way back, all because he was another 100yds further than id guessed...still pretty happy with the result given i couldnt actually see him... :clap:
This is entry wound.
2019-04-29 00.06.39.jpg
Smack bang in the middle
2019-04-29 00.06.39.jpg (482.35 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

It was a cold night & it didnt have its guts hangin out, so i took him back to camp & undressed him.
2019-04-29 00.00.35.jpg
2019-04-29 00.00.35.jpg (394.24 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

So thats the part of foxing during lambing...
Here is the part of foxing during lambing that gets me every year...

Having one of these abandoned little ones bleeting out to me thinking (or hoping) im mum...
2019-04-23 23.16.27.jpg
Short lived...
2019-04-23 23.16.27.jpg (332.87 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

Then another...
2019-04-28 23.02.33.png
2019-04-28 23.02.33.png (289.82 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

and another....
2019-04-28 23.01.02.png
2019-04-28 23.01.02.png (58.58 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

All turned into breakfast by daylight...this one hacked up by birds, most likely crows.
2019-04-23 23.17.27.jpg
2019-04-23 23.17.27.jpg (677.79 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

The others i found that night (or that found me), had vanishes...no doubt dinner to the clever foxes that avoided me, or the local Wedgie...

Anyway...got a few foxes for the farmer the next night but left one out in the paddock without realising so that one missed the portrait session...got a few different sized hoppy things too...some made it home...some were made instant fertilizer by the 204 & 22-250...
Got 5 over the 2 nights.
2019-04-29 00.21.59.jpg
2019-04-29 00.21.59.jpg (316.32 KiB) Viewed 5387 times

And dont those hares hold some bloody claret..most of the blood you can see in this pic has leaked from head shot hares...!!!
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Apr 2019, 9:18 am

Very well done, too!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Apr 2019, 7:58 pm

Always amazes me how much blood leaks out of hares. Good stuff on the foxes.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AJB » 30 Apr 2019, 9:17 am

Great to see a few more redcoats out of action great job stix
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:23 pm

I spent Saturday evening participating in a local Red Card for foxes event. It was an all nighter from 6 until 6. The forecast was for a fine, clear and still night. It was a bit cool (for W.A). I feel the cold so I wore enough to be comfortable driving around on the back of the Ute. There were four of us in our team. Points were scored for different types of pests. 10 points for each feral cat, deer, or goat. 5 points for a fox and 2 points for a rabbit. Apparently there weren’t that many teams entered, so we gave ourselves a chance. Two of our team had their own farms. We also had another couple of properties to shoot on as well. One in particular has a shed load of bunnies. So we knew we could get a few points for those.

The night started ok as we saw several foxes in the first paddock on the first farm. We only managed to get one youngster though. We drove around quite a bit and saw a few foxes at a distance, but only one (a big dog fox) was silly enough to come into range. We got onto a few rabbits, but saw no more foxes. So we pushed onto the next farm with the tally at two foxes. Things picked up as we got a young fox almost immediately at the first paddock. Optimism kindled, but then dissipated as the pattern of the night continued. A few foxes spotted, but none would come into range.

Off to the third farm. This was our rabbit farm. This proved very productive and we got quite a few bunnies. I took out my Miroku u/o 12 gauge and that got a workout. I haven’t shot it for ages so it took a while to get used to it. Hell of a lot of fun though. Not a single Fox was seen at this farm though. As time was running out we headed back to the first farm. As Dockers coach Ross Lyons once said, the trend is your friend. So in keeping with the trend, We saw a couple of foxes, but none in range.

So it was off to the rendezvous point to see how we went. This is our result. Three foxes and forty one bunnies. No where near enough to win.

82FA392B-A06E-41B9-A03E-DE39F7DB90D1.jpeg
82FA392B-A06E-41B9-A03E-DE39F7DB90D1.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 5680 times

Here are some of the other teams efforts. The winners got about 30 foxes and four feral goats. So congratulations to them.

D25C5583-6804-4DFF-A304-D3A51CE618C9.jpeg
D25C5583-6804-4DFF-A304-D3A51CE618C9.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 5680 times

3B9004A5-E81E-496F-A659-36A42C6F7921.jpeg
3B9004A5-E81E-496F-A659-36A42C6F7921.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5680 times

DC75B193-0627-4549-AF2A-40038A3929DE.jpeg
DC75B193-0627-4549-AF2A-40038A3929DE.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 5678 times

It was a very enjoyable evening. Obviously I still have a lot to learn about fox shooting. It would have been nice to get more, but some foxes is better than no foxes. I will definitely enter another Red Card event. I plan to continue getting out and knocking off as many foxes as I can. Its my goal to end the year with a tally somewhere north of 50.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:36 pm

Good Night out.Its cooled off now might have to head north or east
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 04 May 2019, 1:45 pm

:violin: :violin: was out walking the hills this morning whistled a few but they ran the other way saw this dog sitting in the sun squeaked him in by hand call missed first shot but he only ran a few meters then propped to look back his last mistake nailed him at about 100 yards had a very nice coat on him so I took it off
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-05-04-13-21-41.png
Screenshot_2019-05-04-13-21-41.png (397.01 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 04 May 2019, 3:14 pm

Poor little bugger...

Nice lookin fox AJB.. :clap: .
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 04 May 2019, 3:50 pm

:violin: :violin: thanx stix its a damn hard walk up into the hills but is very rewarding every time I go up there I've either shot or seen the shifty little skulkers there is a lot of blackberries in patches all over the gully's I have 1000 acers to hunt on so plenty of room for them
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-05-04-13-20-51.png
Screenshot_2019-05-04-13-20-51.png (718.53 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 May 2019, 10:43 pm

Nice effort AJB. Looks like beautiful country to shoot in.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2019, 10:06 pm

I got a call from the property owner the other day about a fox that's been stealing their chickens (I think they've lost 5 or so over the last few days or so, anyway I was out there cutting firewood yesterday so decided to put the 222 Howa in along with the spotlight and whistles etc, I cut a load of wood for the owners and myself and had a bit of a whistle for a bit but nothing seen, anyway it was almost dark by now so set the light up and got organised to throw the light about for a bit, no foxes seen and just about ready to head home I called in to drop the wood off and let them know how I went and I noticed a dead carcass not far from the woodshed so parked the ute in a position that I could have a shot at a fox if one was silly enough to be caught out munching on it when I returned to the ute, anyway put the light on and sure enough there was a fox - bang flop and it was sorted! :D

Hopefully it was the one giving the chooks a hard time - no doubt I will be out there again soon enough sorting out the next fox to move in and give em a hard time along with the new born lambs. :thumbsup:

It was a Vixen so that helps keep the numbers down even more so which was a bonus too (she wasn't real interested in the whistles either, was real interested in some sort of scent on the ground going by the way she was sniffing the ground after running off once the light went on.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 May 2019, 10:34 pm

Well done Scott. A dead vixen before breeding season is a real bonus.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 07 May 2019, 8:12 am

Nice looking fox big fella keep up the good work my mate lost all his chickens Sunday nite I'm going for a look Friday nite hopefully take a few out
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control