The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by AJB » 13 Sep 2019, 11:07 am

:violin: :violin:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-07-04-17-03-38.png
Screenshot_2019-07-04-17-03-38.png (650.1 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 13 Sep 2019, 11:09 am

Attachments
IMG_0124_2.jpg
IMG_0124_2.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5390 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 13 Sep 2019, 11:13 am

Attachments
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5390 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2019, 7:57 pm

AJB wrote:Thanx bbs yes I have been busy with work and family but I all ways find time to go chase foxes you can't shoot them sitting at home I am very dedicated and just love getting out and calling a few redcoats in to meet there maker

Huh... :huh: ...wot...??...

You make foxes... :o :unknown:
Hehe...

Good stuff AJB... :drinks:

Thats a cat i assume...big fluffy coat for a feral... :huh:
Did you keep the pelt this time..?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2019, 8:17 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:you've been busy there AJB, nice one.

Hey Stix, that camo stock works a treat... the way that photo loaded, I was scrolling down from the muzzle and thinking "how bloody long is that barrel" and got to the scope before I saw the stock blending in nicely with the load of firewood behind it. Might be time to go to Specsavers.

Lol...
Yes...
On 2 seperate occasions ive not been able to quickly locate rifle after a sit down rest on a walk-about hunt...
Just casually put rifle down resting up against random tree/shrub...
Take pack off & sit 'over there' on that log/rock...
Open pack for snack n drink...
10 mins...
Get up & pack on then 2 of us take a good minute or two to find my rifle after we've both walked past & looked straight at it twice...lol...

Its amazing how well the camo works when its not attached to a constantly moving human...

Its also happened once at night when casually layed it down along a fence dividing couple of stubble paddocks...
Got back in the car & go to check chamber/mag topped up & got no rifle... :lol:
That wasted 15 mins thinking left it out where the fox fell for the mandatory photo shoot... :lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 13 Sep 2019, 9:26 pm

AJB wrote::violin: :violin:

just wondering about the camo on the rifle, can you tell us a bit about it :drinks:

also good shooting and well done all of you guys posting up pic's :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Sep 2019, 9:29 pm

well that didn't work
this camo :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AJB » 14 Sep 2019, 6:24 am

The riffle is a savage 204 predator it came with camo colour and yes stix it was a fluffy cat I was out on 2000 acres and spotted it at a dam I shot fox first then it popped it's head up so bang and I did skin cat there is no houses for miles so I think it was feral it shouldn't be on property so i took care of it
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Sep 2019, 1:02 pm

Screenshot_20190915-123055_Gallery.jpg
40m with the $100 35 whelen...
Screenshot_20190915-123055_Gallery.jpg (423.7 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2019, 6:34 pm

Thumbs-up .jpg
Thumbs-up .jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 5318 times

I think you need a bigger gun mate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Sep 2019, 6:39 pm

I've got a couple bigger....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 17 Sep 2019, 9:24 am

Attachments
Screenshot_20190917-092324_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190917-092324_Gallery.jpg (965.75 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 05 Oct 2019, 10:16 am

I have a small battery powered fox/ cat decoy. It’s a moving , twiirling, erratically moving lure where I can change the lure on the end eg mouse /bird /feathers etc. if I were to add something to this lure specifically for the purpose of making it more visible to foxes and cats on a moonless night, I’m unsure about what might work best. Eg tiny led , luminous paint, reflective tape etc I don’t know I have only just thought of this. Perhaps a combination of items to improve my chances. Or perhaps the night vision abilities of foxes is already so good that nothing more than a white feather is needed. I look fwd to your ideas and what you might try yourselves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2019, 11:36 am

Try something natural if going to illuminate it--like a bird feather etc..

I dont think their eyesight is that good, so id try a small light if trying to bring them in if using visual stimulation at night--although i think at night you're best using a scented &/or or audible lure...i think fox itself is the best...(try to 'piss' one when you shoot it (drain a bit of urine, & rub the arse end of one all over your quad) & use that...or open up a bunny--the glands in the arse end of a healthy tough buck will have a fox on the trail to it in no time ...

You might also need to consider your dog if specifically targeting foxes & wanting them to come in to you--dogs kill foxes so as soon as a fox smells your dog it will make like flash gordon to other territory until your dog is long gone back to Brizzy...or if he's any good, use him to flush & kill the foxes for you... :)

Im not sure what its like up there, but pups are hitting the ground here so the next few months would be good to experiment on the young dumb ones...

And dont be shy of moonlit nights--they are unpredictable creatures & if you can get their curiosity to overcome their smarts you'll still get them in close on bright nights...and thats easy done with young ones... :thumbsup:

Good luck & post back some results...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Oct 2019, 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply. With all the carcasses I offer to the foxes and the open bare soil I hunt on , the pursuit of something other than pigs is like new doors have been opened for me ...if I can get even one fox running to the whistle my goal can be sometimes taking them real close with my new shotgun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2019, 1:17 pm

Whistling foxes is great fun and good sport. There are a lot of calls out there. But its a bit like fishing. Sometimes they cooperate, sometimes they dont. And the whistles are like fishing lures, mainly designed to catch the fisherman. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Oct 2019, 2:22 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the reply. With all the carcasses I offer to the foxes and the open bare soil I hunt on , the pursuit of something other than pigs is like new doors have been opened for me ...if I can get even one fox running to the whistle my goal can be sometimes taking them real close with my new shotgun

You may find you could be hard pressed to get foxes come running in to the sound of a wounded animal if they have full bellies from being well fed with bacon...

Young curious ones will be the most likely to do this out of curiosity...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Oct 2019, 4:45 pm

Yes that’s true because I shoot roughly 5 pigs each night there is always a good supply of fresh or slightly decaying pork available all over the paddocks.... heaven for fat lazy foxes I shot a couple of cubs on my last night there’s and like u said before there will be young ones strutting around soon. I’m starting to research fox hunting on YouTube and shot sizes for foxes and all that. Some learning to keep m amused till I next get out there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Oct 2019, 5:11 pm

Di e hards &/or people specifically targeting them like heavy balls of lead,.....but i think #4's up do it comfortably even through stubble & give you a reasonable range especially if you're whistling them in...

Almost every fox ive ever shot with a shotgun has been done opportunistically while out on foot playing bunny sport with field loads of #4's...they pretty thin skinned & go down easy if you can shoot & stay within both yours & the loads effective range.

Aint no fox ive seen going to survive a well placed shot at 30 yds from a gun shooting feild loads of #4's that throws a good pattern...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Oct 2019, 9:04 pm

I was thinking of something from no 4 up to bb s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Oct 2019, 9:19 pm

I think BB's spot on for foxes...!!.. :thumbsup:
.2's good as well...

4's are the good allrounder for those who want to do all the small things like bunny's n ducks to eat as well...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2019, 6:12 am

4's to AAA's all work well....I prefer 2's....and AAA's from my muzzleloader. I've even killed them with 7.5's at close range....but I've also seen them with shot pulled up just under their skin. If you're specifically targeting them I'd just get BB's
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2019, 7:46 am

Stix wrote:I think BB's spot on for foxes...!!.. :thumbsup:
.2's good as well...

4's are the good allrounder for those who want to do all the small things like bunny's n ducks to eat as well...

Thats about it. I use 2s because they are the biggest that flow ok in the loader.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Oct 2019, 9:51 am

BB's in top and 2's in bottom barrel - all covered.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

How to make a Tenterfield fox whistle

I have found materials a bit thicker than colourbond seem to work a bit better. This is based on the "Best fox whistle"

And don't forget to remove any burs.

Make Tenterfield.JPG
Make Tenterfield.JPG (44.95 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

And should look like this when completed.
Tenterfield_Fox_Whistle_small.jpg
Tenterfield_Fox_Whistle_small.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIuhRUyARWM How to blow abt 4 minutes
Last edited by Oldbloke on 20 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2019, 8:13 pm

Thanks for that. Slightly more rewarding I think calling in a fox with something that we make ourselves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 8:59 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for that. Slightly more rewarding I think calling in a fox with something that we make ourselves

Well...

Wait till you call your first one in mate...

When its motoring in at you & your heart is doing Mike Tyson heavy bag flurries trying to launch itself out of your chest while your in a panic wondering WTF is happening---do i shoot---fuk---sh1t--do i say stop--how the hell do i get it to stop---it wont stop--!!! fuk...err---fumble fumble--panic-OMG its right in front of me---!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: --paniced sight picture---yank at trigger as if your life depends on pulling the shot off as far as possible-----"click"--sh1t!!!!!--rack one in the chamber--sh1i---forgot to breathe--- :crazy: BANG.................................blackness...where is it...what just happened.. :unknown: .did that really happen... :wtf:
......................how the hell did i miss that...>???......... :silent: :twisted:

The last thing youll be thinking of is who made the whistle that you've just crushed into your gums...... :lol:

It'll happen...!!!..or something similar.... :lol:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2019, 9:11 pm

Nice description stix. I’m hoping that I’m not good enough at it that that the fox ends up running in hard and jumps on my face And if it does and I don’t get to shoot I will at least have it all on video I could yell. oi ! Or stop ! Or I could stop it with a vmax
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2019, 8:11 am

Screenshot_20191021-084005_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191021-084005_Gallery.jpg (821.75 KiB) Viewed 5100 times

Got one Saturday arvo with the 17hmr
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel