The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Mar 2018, 9:05 am

RoginaJack wrote:Hey Bent arrow, nice shooting but Gee, it's dry out your way, eh?

Yeah, Adelaide Hills. Dry as a bone at the moment
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 18 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

Stix wrote:Marksman...What is the round & rifle...?

the rifle is a ruger vt in 22-250, only shoots 50gr nosler shots one hole at 200 :drinks:
since buying its been bedded and a rifle basics single stage trigger and stock alterations to fit me better but it shot very well before any of the alterations
my daughters favourite rifle for head shooting bunnies for bigfellascotts southern fried rabbit :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Mar 2018, 4:09 pm

One hole at 200...wow...!!! :mrgreen:
Very nice...!

More nice green in those pics...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 20 Mar 2018, 8:32 am

Out for a look last night and bagged these four with the thermal......
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2018, 7:29 pm

brinny wrote:Out for a look last night and bagged these four with the thermal......

:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Mar 2018, 8:05 pm

Nice, I like the idea of thermal. Might have to think a bit more about that........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brinny » 21 Mar 2018, 12:41 am

Bent Arrow wrote:Nice, I like the idea of thermal. Might have to think a bit more about that........

Got asked to have a look at a place nearby to potentiallty cull some roos on tonight BA....and i asked the farmer if i could take a look for a fox while i was there...he said no worries...i ended up with another 4 out there with the thermal on my Sako 85 204...once you use thermal....there is no going back to spotlight.............heres the video of them....

https://youtu.be/xummEhs0QkM
https://youtu.be/jcV3tdd1QRU
https://youtu.be/zhot63fYgCs
https://youtu.be/tvBMp294uFc

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Mar 2018, 6:55 am

Again, nice one brinny...
Have you ttied5the 32's yet or still on the 40's...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 21 Mar 2018, 9:05 am

Stix wrote:Again, nice one brinny...
Have you ttied5the 32's yet or still on the 40's...?

Cheers Stix....Been to the LGS and stocked up on the 32s, but havent loaded any as yet.....They will be in the next batch....Keen to see how they perform against the 40s....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm

Easter fox jaunt...i love fox season...!!!

I went for an early morning walk the first full day there & saw a fox in the trotting through the middle of a paddock...didnt have the bipod on & had nothing to rest on so i just watched it through the scope...(it was a good 400 plus yards away & only visible for 20 seconds or so...i didnt want to have a half arsed crack at it & risk injuring it or scaring it away while i was there...i rather wait for a better opportunity).
The fox had just caught itself a fat healthy bunny & was trotting off to the line of malle to fill its belly...ive never seen a fox with a live bunny in its chops before...i got nothing that morning but that made the day for me...early sunny autumn morning walking around the country side with a gun & seeing a happy fox with its equivelant of bacon & eggs at an organic cafe...love it...!!!

So there are lambs popping out everywhere so foxes & crows are hanging around the flocks like flies...just waiting for the unsuspecting stray...
2018-04-04 09.30.59.jpg
2018-04-04 09.30.59.jpg (356.7 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

2018-04-04 09.34.55.jpg
2018-04-04 09.34.55.jpg (304.49 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

This little fellow was cold & lonely all by himself...probably a good 800m to a Km away from nearest flock so was abandoned & tucked up under the smallest of paddock shrubs to keep warm for the next fox that came along...(pack of 22lr win sub hp's & a 22-250 cartridge for size reference...at probably barely a day old they are pretty small & frail)...when i drove past with the spotlight it popped up & chased the car bleeting its little lungs out...i drove off in denial of wanting to save it...After all i had foxes to shoot...!
I returned 5 mins later & picked him up & returned him to the flock...he went along with 3 other lambs & followed them up to 2 mothers, one of which didnt want the poor little blighter...he just stood there & let the flock wander off...
Maybe the farmer would take him as he's been known to hand rear abandoned lambs, but i have to drive to high ground to get service..
The little fellow snuggled up in my lap right away :friends: , poor little thing was desperate for mum :( ...
But i had to put him on the back seat cos...
2018-04-04 09.38.48.jpg
Abandoned...returned to the flock...
2018-04-04 09.38.48.jpg (243.76 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

... i had some business to take care of...

2018-04-04 09.40.19.jpg
2018-04-04 09.40.19.jpg (526.74 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

Thought id push the blanket up against his body...probably wasnt a good idea given i was going to throw him back out in the cold, but maybe the farmer would take him & hand rear. it..?...
All i did was push the blanket up to him, he has managed to somehow snuggle himself almost into it...!!

2018-04-04 09.41.37.jpg
2018-04-04 09.41.37.jpg (257.6 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

One of his cousins wasnt so lucky...caught this guy mid meal...this pic is taken as the fox fell-untouched, & shot from the same direction as the pic is taken.
Its the first fox of the new 22-250--blew a whopping hole on entry side of it which i wasnt happy about as it had an amazingly good pelt...but i was hankering for the rifles first fox, & got it at a good 180 yds...the shot felt nice--22-250's are like camp fires i rekon, there's just something that feels right about being around & lighting one up at night...!
But its back in the case for this one because im in the beginnings of a fur keeping fettish...!!! :)

2018-04-04 09.37.43.jpg
2018-04-04 09.37.43.jpg (370.4 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

Rang the farmer & he didnt want the new born--said to throw it back to the flock so it atleast had something to follow...so i did...the reality is its probably not with us anymore--no doubt suffered the same fate as its cousin above :cry: ...i hate being a softie...!!!

Just give me a minute... another set of eyes...!!!

2018-04-04 09.42.48.jpg
2018-04-04 09.42.48.jpg (278.64 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

I know this is fox pages & not hunt reports, & i dont want to hijack a thread, so apologies for not being bothered doing this in hunt reports.

All in all i had a fruitful few days...
Got the longest headshot ive had on a bunny with the 204 at a healthy 270 yds (im no long range expert with a custom rifle so im pretty happy with that shot...!)...i played for the shot & got it--had to guess a bit of hold over so was pretty happy with my guess...!!
2018-04-04 09.29.24.jpg
270 odd yards
2018-04-04 09.29.24.jpg (363.83 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

Saved a few more little shrub fluttering finches...not to mention a few more bunnies left for me to shoot from having returned this fellow to the earth from whence he came...i actually thought it was a fox as all i could see were its eyes through the little bush it was hiding behind & i was also getting some flare off of the barrel from the scope mounted light.
2018-04-04 09.28.10.jpg
2018-04-04 09.28.10.jpg (380.71 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

And hopefully ill be able to stitch on the half of the tail i ripped off of this bitch while skinning her. at 3am...
2018-04-04 09.35.17.jpg
2018-04-04 09.35.17.jpg (532.69 KiB) Viewed 16025 times

I really suck at skinning foxes...takes me for ever :thumbsdown: , which makes it forever'er when its 3am & you want to get up for a dawn/early morning stroll with the shotty...im happy to take tips from anyone who has a system down pat...

Im not going to do the alum tanning again--just too much work...going to get a good kit & give the tanning a proper crack...!

I really do love fox season...!!!!! :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Apr 2018, 8:05 am

Great stuff Stix.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 05 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm

Great post Stix, I enjoyed reading that :thumbsup:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 4:07 pm

Thanks YoungBuck...!
Appreciate your kind words... :thumbsup:

Whilst i certainly had fun, its also frustrating doing it myself...i would have got another good 8-12 foxes over the weekend had i have someone to take with me who can drive & spot ...& shoot if they wanted a shot...

Some foxes i have a battle of wits with for well over 20 mins sometimes, & they still get away--that would have happened at least 5 times over the weekend, where as if i had someone who could shoot , or spot & drive we could really clean up...!

Frustrating as ive got another 2 farms to do in the next month...if only i could afford the same set up Brinny has...that'd be the go...!

But i digress...thanks again YB... :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 05 Apr 2018, 4:21 pm

If you were in Vic mate I'd definitely give you a chop out. I know exactly what you mean with how tough it can be trying to spot, drive and shoot at the same time.
The next time I go to my relos property up north Vic for some foxing I will be seeing if my brother wants to tag along to help me spotlight the buggers. Unless you have a rig setup nicely for it, its a pain on your own.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 4:37 pm

I might have access to a huge parcel of land in north vic--around Ouyen way--just cant seem to get there...shame too with the bounty thats on...!!!
If i could get there before they start seeding id have a blast i rekon...part of this land backs on to a park so has goats running through it too..!!
Everyone says theyll go, but when it comes to the crunch people always back out...!

Can i ask what area is the property you have access to?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 05 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm

great stuff stix. you bin a busy boy ! coopers all round ! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Apr 2018, 5:52 pm

well done stix :drinks: , I really like the camo stock :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 05 Apr 2018, 6:03 pm

PM'd you mate.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Apr 2018, 7:19 pm

Good on ya Stix well done it gives you a warm feeling in the gut when you take those killers out of the system hey
keep it up mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

Thanks BA, YB, BigR,Mksmn & GDB...yes its good to knock em off...its also good to be beaten by the ultra smart ones cos that means they'll be back the following year,,,!!

This is really the best time of year to get them, & get them in numbers...& Its just great fun chasing the reds on a good night...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 05 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm

Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Where in Queensland do you live Daddybang? 3 years ago I was traveling from Townsville to Charters Towers at night and I saw a fox cross the road.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 9:58 pm

I cant believe all is quiet on the fox pages this time of year...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Probably not many around Stix or everyone is too busy working mate
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 03 May 2018, 10:37 pm

IMG_20180503_220545.jpg
22/250,8x56 hakko,150m,highland sx ammo
IMG_20180503_220545.jpg (230.73 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2018, 10:49 pm

Well done bigpete looks like a head shot to, Well bigpete you've just broke the quietness of the fox pages mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 11:27 pm

Hard to be sure from the pic but looks a good size & healthy one bigpete....good one...!!!
Good size bushy tail...!

Ive only shot one skanked up mangry one this year...all have been in unbelievable good health...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2018, 7:38 am

Right up until the high velocity impact that is, Stix! :lol:
Last edited by Gwion on 04 May 2018, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungBuck » 04 May 2018, 8:28 am

Stix wrote:I cant believe all is quiet on the fox pages this time of year...!

I'm hanging to get back out there! Bought an olight spotlight a couple weeks ago for the 243, hanging to use it. Currently travelling Europe with the wife, won't be back home for another few weeks.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 May 2018, 4:23 pm

received_10215943095073994.jpeg
received_10215943095073994.jpeg (474.13 KiB) Viewed 8753 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 04 May 2018, 5:59 pm

Stix wrote:I cant believe all is quiet on the fox pages this time of year...!

Been doing a bit....although a couple of weeks ago i had a really nasty fall out wandering about in the middle of the night on the next doors place.
She is lambing down and rang to say she was loosing lambs, could i sort the foxes out.....up on top of a steep hill looking down onto the gulley floor and spot a fox with the monoculor heading towards her sheep....too far away so thought i would sneak down the hill and get closer.....slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back....took me a couple of hours to get back to the ute and back home....to say i was sore next day and for the next two weeks is an understatment.......didnt even get a shot away....so fox 1....hunter 0......but got my revenge next time out.....

https://youtu.be/E76tsrvPQLs
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control