The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Apr 2018, 7:19 pm

Good on ya Stix well done it gives you a warm feeling in the gut when you take those killers out of the system hey
keep it up mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

Thanks BA, YB, BigR,Mksmn & GDB...yes its good to knock em off...its also good to be beaten by the ultra smart ones cos that means they'll be back the following year,,,!!

This is really the best time of year to get them, & get them in numbers...& Its just great fun chasing the reds on a good night...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 05 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm

Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Where in Queensland do you live Daddybang? 3 years ago I was traveling from Townsville to Charters Towers at night and I saw a fox cross the road.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 9:58 pm

I cant believe all is quiet on the fox pages this time of year...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Probably not many around Stix or everyone is too busy working mate
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 03 May 2018, 10:37 pm

IMG_20180503_220545.jpg
22/250,8x56 hakko,150m,highland sx ammo
IMG_20180503_220545.jpg (230.73 KiB) Viewed 8798 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2018, 10:49 pm

Well done bigpete looks like a head shot to, Well bigpete you've just broke the quietness of the fox pages mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 11:27 pm

Hard to be sure from the pic but looks a good size & healthy one bigpete....good one...!!!
Good size bushy tail...!

Ive only shot one skanked up mangry one this year...all have been in unbelievable good health...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2018, 7:38 am

Right up until the high velocity impact that is, Stix! :lol:
Last edited by Gwion on 04 May 2018, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungBuck » 04 May 2018, 8:28 am

Stix wrote:I cant believe all is quiet on the fox pages this time of year...!

I'm hanging to get back out there! Bought an olight spotlight a couple weeks ago for the 243, hanging to use it. Currently travelling Europe with the wife, won't be back home for another few weeks.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 May 2018, 4:23 pm

received_10215943095073994.jpeg
received_10215943095073994.jpeg (474.13 KiB) Viewed 8755 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 04 May 2018, 5:59 pm

Been doing a bit....although a couple of weeks ago i had a really nasty fall out wandering about in the middle of the night on the next doors place.
She is lambing down and rang to say she was loosing lambs, could i sort the foxes out.....up on top of a steep hill looking down onto the gulley floor and spot a fox with the monoculor heading towards her sheep....too far away so thought i would sneak down the hill and get closer.....slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back....took me a couple of hours to get back to the ute and back home....to say i was sore next day and for the next two weeks is an understatment.......didnt even get a shot away....so fox 1....hunter 0......but got my revenge next time out.....

https://youtu.be/E76tsrvPQLs
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2018, 6:38 pm

bigpete wrote:
received_10215943095073994.jpeg

Congratulations bigpete. That is grouse. Great shot.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 04 May 2018, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 May 2018, 6:46 pm

Geeez Bigpete what a shot , head shot ,neck shot, chest shot ,heart shot ,lung shot mate you got them all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)
Well done :thumbsup:
And brinny also well done mate karma is a bitch the fox paid with his demise :thumbsup:
Crikey mate you were luck you weren't hurt worse when you fell , hope all's well now no long term damage I hope :thumbsup:
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 May 2018, 8:42 pm

brinny wrote:

Been doing a bit....although a couple of weeks ago i had a really nasty fall out wandering about in the middle of the night on the next doors place.
She is lambing down and rang to say she was loosing lambs, could i sort the foxes out.....up on top of a steep hill looking down onto the gulley floor and spot a fox with the monoculor heading towards her sheep....too far away so thought i would sneak down the hill and get closer.....slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back....took me a couple of hours to get back to the ute and back home....to say i was sore next day and for the next two weeks is an understatment.......didnt even get a shot away....so fox 1....hunter 0......but got my revenge next time out.....

Holy crap mate, glad to hear your not too badly broken. Be safe out there guys and girls
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 May 2018, 8:44 pm

Im struggling to find them at the moment, I had a really hot run for a couple of weeks but I've lost my mojo. Think I must have smashed the young and dumb ones........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2018, 1:54 am

"...slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back..."

Precisely why I no longer spotlight.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 05 May 2018, 2:09 am

Oldbloke wrote:"...slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back..."

I wasnt spotlighting oldbloke.....wouldnt have been so bad if i was....probably would have seen the drop...i was out with the thermal gear.....got to be honest....i dont know what was worse...the injury...or the tongue lashing i got from the wife for doing that....she was not impressed.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2018, 7:29 am

I'll refrase, hunt/shoot after dark. I have seen a few "disasterous" trips spotlighting and no longer do it.

Hope you come good mate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 11:15 am

GeeeZaahs Bigpete...!!!
I aint ever seen something like that before...!!!!...FMD...!

Did you salvage the bullet...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 11:17 am

brinny wrote:

Glad to hear you're back at it Brinny...!!!
Hope all is well on the body side mate...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 11:34 am

Bent Arrow wrote:

Im struggling to find them at the moment, I had a really hot run for a couple of weeks but I've lost my mojo. Think I must have smashed the young and dumb ones........

You may well have...but sometimes they catch on too...keep a regular eye out once the temp drops here mate..its still pretty warm atm....if you can pick/are out & about when the bitches start going on heat more will prob appear for the fuk fest...
Ive often seen 4,5 & 6 hanging around in groups doing the stand-off for whos getting their end in first..but its hard to pick the exact time--you just have to be out there when it happens...!!!
They are hard to get & very titchy when this happens, so i dont use a whistle & rely i on well placed long shots at the outer reaches of the blitz, but there is still more fox season to come before they bog down to the quiet depths of the dens with bellies full of next spring & next years fun...!...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 11:39 am

brinny wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:"...slowly making my way down the hill and didnt know there was a 5 ft straight drop in front of me.....when i stuck the foot out and there was nothing there...i knew i was in deep s**t....and down i went like a bag of spuds...landed on the gun and ended up ripping all the muscles in my right side and back..."

I wasnt spotlighting oldbloke.....wouldnt have been so bad if i was....probably would have seen the drop...i was out with the thermal gear.....got to be honest....i dont know what was worse...the injury...or the tongue lashing i got from the wife for doing that....she was not impressed.....

Glad youre ok brinny...but be careful mate...i dont know youre missus but you probably scared the s**t out of her mate...!!!

Probably a good reminder to us all to be careful & safe out there eh guys...!!!

Hunt safe...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 2:32 pm

IMG_20180505_135805.jpg
IMG_20180505_135805.jpg (188.59 KiB) Viewed 8945 times

Picked this one up whistling this morning. Was only on the property 15min when he came into the whistle like he was on a rope. The 22/250 to the chest dropped him like a stone about 80 yards out. One very happy sheep farmer out there now
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 3:17 pm

Ah nice one bigpete...!!!
I love the look of em with the real black feet...
& the black streak on his nose looks good.

Id take the pelt if it didnt have the typical 22-250 varorised crater in him...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 4:45 pm

Yeah,can't be bothered. In all honesty the hole wasn't that big
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 05 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Good stuff , the 22/250 does the trick .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 06 May 2018, 8:57 am

Thanks for the thoughts fellas...appreciate it....just goes to show how easy things can turn pear shape out there.......99.99999% of my night hunting is done solo....highlights the reasons for having a shooting mate go with you.....there lies another problem.....finding the right partner that is as keen and as dedicated to the sport as you.....not many blokes i know want to do what i do....there are a lot that just want to go when it suits them....the other issue is taking someone to your hard earned properties...only to find they slip in under you and take there mates out there....i bet a lot have had that happen to them....yours truly included....One instance springs to mind going back a lot of years ago when i had den dogs down Geelong way......it took me years and years of hard work and an enormous amount of foot slogging to find dens on a lot of properties, and a long time to gain access to these properties....i was taking this kid with me for a long time and he seemed keen as, taught him everything that i knew about denning etc....let him shoot most of the foxes that bolted....set him up with his own den dogs and things were going ok....untill he got his licence and independance and that was the last i saw of him....and you guessed it....he was out doing all the dens i had found with his mates.....i caught up with him on one of my properties one day and to say he got torn a new arsehole was an understatment....he went back home with his tail between his legs that day...problem was he had a whinge to the property owner of the tongue lashing he got that day and i was told not to come back by the owner....seems to think i was out of line......left a pretty stale taste in the mouth thats for sure, so i dont take anyone anywhere now after that.
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2018, 11:54 am

Good grief Brinny, sorry to hear about your fall :( BUT more important, how was the rifle and night sight; do any damage? :shock:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 May 2018, 12:44 pm

brinny wrote: there lies another problem.....finding the right partner that is as keen and as dedicated to the sport as you.....not many blokes i know want to do what i do....there are a lot that just want to go when it suits them....the other issue is taking someone to your hard earned properties...only to find they slip in under you and take there mates out there.....

I don't think there would be many people that have been hunting for a while that haven't been burnt. I've been burnt a couple of times now. Finding people to hunt with that you actually want to hunt with is bloody hard. The few people I've introduced to hunting just aren't that keen, or for a combination of reasons don't progress to finding places themselves. My boy is just starting to get real keen which will be great.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control