The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2019, 6:07 pm

Scotch predator you say...

Yep....some Scotch around the camp fire before a prowl through the paddocks turns me into a predator... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 26 Feb 2019, 6:43 pm

Stix wrote:Scotch predator you say...

Yep....some Scotch around the camp fire before a prowl through the paddocks turns me into a predator... :D

Nah I always go with my hunting mate Jack Daniels.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2019, 7:14 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
Stix wrote:Scotch predator you say...

Nah I always go with my hunting mate Jack Daniels.

Be careful...!!

Three's a crowd... 8-)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Feb 2019, 8:10 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Good work Bruiser , what about a scotch predator caller ? I use one , easy to use and if the foxes are around and interested it brings them in .
Also you can buy replacement reeds from the USA .

That is an excellent recommendation. My local gun store sells them so I can buy one and give it a go. Has anyone here used one of the Icotec electronic callers? They look interesting.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 01 Mar 2019, 1:34 pm

:violin: :violin:
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-12-16-10-11-54.png
Screenshot_2018-12-16-10-11-54.png (686.81 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 01 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Good work Bruiser , what about a scotch predator caller ? I use one , easy to use and if the foxes are around and interested it brings them in .
Also you can buy replacement reeds from the USA .

That is an excellent recommendation. My local gun store sells them so I can buy one and give it a go. Has anyone here used one of the Icotec electronic callers? They look interesting.

Had one , sold it .
Learn to use a tenterfield , takes a while to master it , a scotch caller and a button whistle is all you need .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 01 Mar 2019, 8:35 pm

Ducked out to a property on the edge of town last night, the owner has a function centre and foxes have knocked off all his ducks on the lake.

Found a nice little spot and tried out the game caller app on the phone and had these come running one after another

[
Attachments
FC339BBD-4778-4EA6-8BD2-6081999F7D3C.jpeg
FC339BBD-4778-4EA6-8BD2-6081999F7D3C.jpeg (130.27 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 02 Mar 2019, 11:00 am

Jon79 wrote:Ducked out to a property on the edge of town last night, the owner has a function centre and foxes have knocked off all his ducks on the lake.

Found a nice little spot and tried out the game caller app on the phone and had these come running one after another

[

Very nice work , it's excellent when a plan works out .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Mar 2019, 11:53 am

Yes, It's handy to have the button whistle etc as a back up but I find the big advantage with the electric call is it can be placed away from the shooter(s) and the foxes will focus on the call.

I also use a few feathers on a stick it as a decoy too. I find this works pretty good.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2019, 12:21 pm

Jon79 wrote:Ducked out to a property on the edge of town last night, the owner has a function centre and foxes have knocked off all his ducks on the lake.

[

Good stuff Jon...they look nice healthy foxes.. :thumbsup:

I rekon its always an eye opener having a cat or fox trot right up to you no matter how many times you see it happen... :clap:

Although i dont like it when they come closer than about 80 yds...i get nervous for some reason... :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if i forget to hold over at close range the 204 zips them open & leaves a terrible mess...

Can i ask what is the app you have...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 02 Mar 2019, 7:48 pm

Stix wrote:
Good stuff Jon...they look nice healthy foxes.. :thumbsup:

I rekon its always an eye opener having a cat or fox trot right up to you no matter how many times you see it happen... :clap:

Although i dont like it when they come closer than about 80 yds...i get nervous for some reason... :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if i forget to hold over at close range the 204 zips them open & leaves a terrible mess...

Can i ask what is the app you have...?

Not 100% sure of the app name o got bored one day and had a look what was on the App Store

This is the app
Attachments
028426F2-EE7B-4EF1-BC30-3381CD39CAEE.jpeg
028426F2-EE7B-4EF1-BC30-3381CD39CAEE.jpeg (245.75 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Mar 2019, 9:35 pm

I have that app as well. I have yet to successfully call a fox in with it. I use my UE Boom connected to my IPhone. I will give it another crack next time I go out.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by DeadPool » 04 Mar 2019, 8:57 pm

For those interested, this app for iPhone and Android I stumble upon which has loads of good calls is called iHunt Calls

Free version has a lot of calls and NO ADS!
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dont.own.shoes » 08 Mar 2019, 12:20 am

after a long 12hr day at work got home had a feed and decided to head out after dark to chase a few rabbits...... saw 3( a unusually small number) but boy o boy they did not want to stay still long enough. after about an 1hr of driving around and seeing only bloody Camels and Dingos I had all but given up on the evening. when about 10mins from home in saw a low set of eyes In the grass...... I though ahhh another dingo but raised the rifle to have a squiz and Bugger me it was a fox, he darted behind some bushes so I creeped forward it the trusty toyota and as I pulled up the hand break to give him a whistle the squeak from the breaks made him pop is head out, gave him a little whistle and BOOM heart shot dead as a door nail. I'm terrible at guessing distance especially at night but
im going to say a good 80m. Trusty straight shooting Lithgow LA101 22wmr. and Olight javelot.
Attachments
20190307_223231-1440x1080.jpg
Fox
20190307_223231-1440x1080.jpg (349.56 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Lithgow LA101 .22wmr
Sako 85 Hunter .223
Remington 7600 .308
dont.own.shoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by dont.own.shoes » 08 Mar 2019, 12:21 am

and I must add the deciding factor in me actually heading out was the ihunt app gave me a full green active bar hahha
Lithgow LA101 .22wmr
Sako 85 Hunter .223
Remington 7600 .308
dont.own.shoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 08 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm

Tried the app out again on my phone tonight had this one run in and there was 2 more coming in behind it

https://vimeo.com/322233715
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Mar 2019, 2:11 pm

Jon79 wrote:Tried the app out again on my phone tonight had this one run in and there was 2 more coming in behind it

https://vimeo.com/322233715

Well that worked!! I am off out tomorrow night to give my new scotch predator caller a go. I will report back on the results. Fox callers seem to be breeding in my kit bag just like my Barra lures used to do when I lived in Kununurra back in the olden days.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 10 Mar 2019, 10:39 am

:violin: :violin: nothing better then a Sunday morning out with the whistle
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-10-11-34-33.png
Screenshot_2019-03-10-11-34-33.png (382.09 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:28 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:49 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 6:59 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 11 Mar 2019, 7:38 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Awsome pics bigfella do you recommend an electronic caller or does the whistle work as good I've only ever whistled or hand called them in
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

love your work BFS :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

That's a few foxes BFS. What sort of caller is that in some of the pics? Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 8:29 pm

AJB wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: Awsome pics bigfella do you recommend an electronic caller or does the whistle work as good I've only ever whistled or hand called them in

The Callers can be very effective mate, I have the Foxpro Shockwave, also use several different whistles and a scotch predator caller (some days one will work where others don't) so having a few options can make the difference I find.

I like the fox pro as I can sit it off to the side say 100m or so away and the foxes are focused on it and not me which can come in handy in open areas etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2019, 8:35 pm

bigrich wrote:love your work BFS :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Cheers BR, I don't mind rolling the foxes, there are a hell of a lot more out there that I didn't bother taking pics (can't be stuffed driving 350m+ at night to take a pic of dead foxes.

They should be getting nice and active now and you should be seeing quite a few getting around looking for mates (I haven't bothered chasing them for a good yr or so) been busy with other things and health issues but have been thinking of getting out if I can be bothered that is, seen one the other day out cutting firewood, he was lucky he didn't hang around long as I had the Tikkler 308 sitting in the ute (was going to go for an armed bushwalk looking for a few pigs) but was too stuffed after cutting firewood to be bothered with it all. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 12 Mar 2019, 6:39 am

Thanks big fella I'm going to get the fox pro ill see how it goes your pics have made me keen as
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 8:14 am

AJB wrote:Thanks big fella I'm going to get the fox pro ill see how it goes your pics have made me keen as

Your welcome mate, foxes are great fun to call in, I've had em stand right next to me at times, even had one nearly in my lap it came in that hard, ended up covered in bark, dirt and leaves it was in that much of a hurry, lucky for it I was looking to the left instead of front on when it happened :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 5:39 pm

:violin: :violin: got this one at lunch today had the mainge real bad seen a lot like this latley around the back hills of picton only good fox is a dead fox
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-16-18-28-51.png
Screenshot_2019-03-16-18-28-51.png (447.27 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control