NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by grumpyaardvark » 14 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:
rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:


Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...


PTA issued 7 August, given my initial license application went in on 4 April that's four months from license application to issue of first PTA.

Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by mikejay » 14 Aug 2019, 12:51 pm

Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?
mikejay
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 15 Aug 2019, 10:38 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D

Good stuff mate :thumbsup: don’t know how you would’ve stayed away from the LGS and not see the rifle you ordered!

mikejay wrote:Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?

03 Jun 2019 - I applied to add a genuine reason to my exisiting “REC HUNT” licence and the online checker was updated overnight (early Thursday morning)!

I now have “TARGET SHOOTING” added. It is on the same line as the REC HUNT and marked as VALID.

Next step will be to await the ServiceNSW photo advice letter ..

During this process no “pending” application was added to the online checker .. so other than the ServiceNSW application you’re pretty much in the dark as to progress.

Gotta assume they treated it as a fresh application with a cooling off period even though my categories haven’t changed.
rookie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 87
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Col » 17 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm

My daughter applied for her first licence (Cat A, B, and C) back in May. Got the letter stating received 5th June 2019 and have been following on line to see the prgress.

Got the sh@ts last week and got her to call, lovely girl told us that it shouldnt be too long. Also confirmed all mail goes to Murwillumbah , then redirected to Parramatta for central processing, then back up to Murwillumbah to the FAR. She did agree that it was a "bit backwards".

Any way upshot of all this is I checked on line this morning and all approved just have to wait for letter in the mail I presume.


Licence Type Genuine Reason Application Date Issue Date Expiry Date Status
A PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
B PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
C PRIMARY PRODUCTION 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Only 10 weeks to this stage, now to wait on snail mail to deliver photo advice and then the Service NSW delay for photo from Parkes.

Will keep you posted.

Col
Col
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 47
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Ayasi » 18 Aug 2019, 3:08 pm

Hi,
Does any one know which 'new licence application' dates the NSW firearms registry is currently processing? (eg. early or mid June appications)
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 1
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by webdogs » 19 Aug 2019, 10:04 pm

Hi all,
I did the online application 22 July and got the Acknowledgment Letter within a week. The letter is dated 26 July.

What's everyone's best estimate on when I get the notification to go for the photo? (Got a trip planned late Oct)

What happens after the photo? Another wait or good to go? Or does the photo licence then come with the PTA?

Thanks in advance.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 1
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Col » 19 Aug 2019, 10:47 pm

Hi Ayasi,

My daughters was received by FAR on 5th June 2019, so it would reasonable to assume early June.

Col
Col
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 47
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 20 Aug 2019, 9:08 am

Col wrote:Only 10 weeks to this stage, now to wait on snail mail to deliver photo advice and then the Service NSW delay for photo from Parkes.

Will keep you posted.

Col

Good stuff Col. hope ur daughter is excited :thumbsup:

I’m in the same boat waiting for the photo advice. I believe somewhere earlier in the thread, someone said they centralise the printing of the letters .. so not sure if they electronically send them all somewhere for printing over the weekend and send them out the start of the week.

I’ll make a point to check any postage stamp marks for any dates this time around. I typically get FAR notices on a Thursday but PTAs have come in on a Wednesday (Sydney metro)

Ayasi wrote:Hi,
Does any one know which 'new licence application' dates the NSW firearms registry is currently processing? (eg. early or mid June appications)

Mine approved last week was submitted 3 June 2019.

Another mate of mine lodged his application a week after mine (10-11 June) and wasn’t approved last week. I will check in with him later in the week to see if it comes through.

Our apps are just to add a genuine reason with no change of category.

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 87
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by grumpyaardvark » 21 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

rookie wrote:Good stuff mate :thumbsup: don’t know how you would’ve stayed away from the LGS and not see the rifle you ordered!


It was an exercise in self restraint ;) Now I need to resist the urge to take her out in the paddock and sight in. More important stuff to do...
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by ckraus » 22 Aug 2019, 9:25 am

Minors permits are still taking forever. After applying in April I finally had it be valid on August 3rd on FAR website.

However as of today still nothing in the mail :-(

I am thinking they must post these things from the North Pole with the Santa letters
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 10
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Ricochet » 22 Aug 2019, 6:58 pm

mikejay wrote:Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and thought a good place to start off would be to gripe about the application dolphin routine BS...7 weeks its been to renew an ooooold licence, expired in about 2004, called the nswfa and they said it could be another 3. Then it'll be another PITA 28 DAYS for the frick'n PTA. :crazy: :thumbsdown:
Ricochet
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
Australian Capital Territory

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 22 Aug 2019, 10:27 pm

webdogs wrote:What's everyone's best estimate on when I get the notification to go for the photo? (Got a trip planned late Oct)

12 or 19 Oct 2019 depending on postage..

webdogs wrote:What happens after the photo? Another wait or good to go? Or does the photo licence then come with the PTA?

After the photo, the ServiceNSW servers have got to sync with the FAR servers and once they do your online licence will change from “referred” to “”VALID”. For me this took a week, ie. photo taken on a Saturday, next Wednesday I had my card in my hands and that Friday my status changed to VALID. Another 24 hours go by and by Sunday morning I could lodge my PTA.

But basically, after you get your photo taken, you can do the rest via ServiceNSW online ..

grumpyaardvark wrote:It was an exercise in self restraint ;) Now I need to resist the urge to take her out in the paddock and sight in. More important stuff to do...

Yeah, I’d love to shoot all day but gotta work to pay for the ammo :lol:

ckraus wrote:Minors permits are still taking forever. After applying in April I finally had it be valid on August 3rd on FAR website.

However as of today still nothing in the mail :-(

Bloody ridiculous.. I thought it was poor my photo advice letter for new genuine reason hasn’t come yet and I was only referred last Thursday ... but yours is 3 weeks .. geez
rookie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 87
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by ScottyD » 22 Aug 2019, 11:10 pm

grumpyaardvark wrote:
grumpyaardvark wrote:
rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:


Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...


PTA issued 7 August, given my initial license application went in on 4 April that's four months from license application to issue of first PTA.

Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D


Geez, I'd better pull my finger out and get this thing underway :wtf:
ScottyD
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 25
New South Wales

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to New South Wales gun laws