NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 12 Feb 2020, 8:01 pm

Picked up my first rifle today.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 13 Feb 2020, 11:27 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:Picked up my first rifle today.

Congrats! Only took 175 days by the looks if it :crazy: :crazy:
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 15 Feb 2020, 6:00 pm

themarksman wrote:Fingers crossed for you. Someone said the website gets updated on either Saturday or Sunday morning.

You were spot.on. updated to refer to service nsw this morning :clap:
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 15 Feb 2020, 7:30 pm

Khalild wrote:You were spot.on. updated to refer to service nsw this morning :clap:

Congrats! :thumbsup: At least your getting closer now. And we can confirm updates happen on the weekend :idea: Keep us updated on your time line
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 16 Feb 2020, 9:05 am

Hang in there guys, you will see the light at the end of the tunel soon. Just remember to call and badger them on a regular basis, keep it polite and civil but be firm. There was a stuff up printing and issuing my card after licence was approved. After promised if someone calling me and this not happening I had to call them daily and be nice but firm with them until it got escalated.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 16 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm

Ricochet wrote:Hang in there guys, you will see the light at the end of the tunel soon. Just remember to call and badger them on a regular basis, keep it polite and civil but be firm. There was a stuff up printing and issuing my card after licence was approved. After promised if someone calling me and this not happening I had to call them daily and be nice but firm with them until it got escalated.
3 phone calls and an later they finally did something. Hopefully they don't stuff up the letter. Would like to hope for future applicants that the lead times get better
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 17 Feb 2020, 5:06 pm

So I received my acknowledgment letter stating that minimum processing timeframe is 6 to 8 weeks. Thanks to this forum I am waiting for 6 to 8 weeks to come and watch it go.

Oh well, extra time to save up for stuff.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 17 Feb 2020, 9:01 pm

duddley75 wrote:So I received my acknowledgment letter stating that minimum processing timeframe is 6 to 8 weeks. Thanks to this forum I am waiting for 6 to 8 weeks to come and watch it go.

Oh well, extra time to save up for stuff.

Would be nice IF they were a bit more honest upfront though.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 21 Feb 2020, 5:49 pm

Update: got my letter in the mail today attending service nsw first thing tomorrow
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 21 Feb 2020, 7:10 pm

Khalild wrote:Update: got my letter in the mail today attending service nsw first thing tomorrow

Awesome news! Hopefully some people get good news tomorrow when they update the website.

Unfortunately I am only 67 days in and hoping that they start to catch up.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 22 Feb 2020, 6:29 am

themarksman wrote:Update: got my letter in the mail today attending service nsw first thing tomorrow

Awesome news! Hopefully some people get good news tomorrow when they update the website.

Unfortunately I am only 67 days in and hoping that they start to catch up.[/quote]
Doing my pta this morning I'm expecting 2 months min. Hopefully they get quicker otherwise people will stop trying
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 25 Feb 2020, 9:56 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new poster here, I applied for a firearms licence early January. I spoke to them on the phone today and they said they’re still processing applications from the first week of October :/
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm

Called FAR this morning and they say they're processing first week of October 2019 applications (both Cat A/B and H).

To quote her, she said "All applications".
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 25 Feb 2020, 1:50 pm

rookie wrote:Called FAR this morning and they say they're processing first week of October 2019 applications (both Cat A/B and H).

To quote her, she said "All applications".

They told me the same thing 15 days ago :roll: looks like they aren't making much progress.

What are you waiting on now Rookie?
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 25 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm

Fulcrum wrote:Hi Everyone,

I’m a new poster here, I applied for a firearms licence early January. I spoke to them on the phone today and they said they’re still processing applications from the first week of October :/

My licence is in the mail I applied late september. Expect a 5 month wait and another 2 weeks after you attend service nsw to submit your pta.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 26 Feb 2020, 10:00 am

Khalild wrote:

My licence is in the mail I applied late september. Expect a 5 month wait and another 2 weeks after you attend service nsw to submit your pta.[/quote]

Wow, We’re basically losing half a year of R licence and club membership o.O
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 26 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm

[quote="Fulcrum"[/quote]
My licence is in the mail I applied late september. Expect a 5 month wait and another 2 weeks after you attend service nsw to submit your pta.[/quote]

Wow, We’re basically losing half a year of R licence and club membership o.O[/quote]
In a nutshell yes. I actually just did my pta (got told it will take 10 days to update but 3 days in it was valid). They have no sympathy for those costs. Something will have to give eventually once the government loses revenue for lack of new applications :lol:
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by webdogs » 27 Feb 2020, 11:04 am

I applied for Cat A & B on 22/7/19. Referred to Service NSW for photo on 8/2/20, 6.5 months in total :roll:
For some reason the notification went to my PO Box so didn't get the letter until yesterday. Photo done today. Will lodge the PTA in a few days when it changes to valid. Then have to wait 6-8 weeks for PTA I believe. It'll be close to a 10 month ordeal by the time I get it in my hands and head out with mates.
I rang last September but the FAR said they were only doing March, so I waited a few months. Then I saw some that had applied after me were approved so I rang. The girl said she couldn't understand or see any reason why mine would be held up and would expedite it.
Still heard nothing for a while. Late January I rang and advised I would be drafting a letter to my local member. She said she'd ensure it was actioned and to check the internet link over the next week. About a week later it was done.
Seems like they're all over the shop.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 27 Feb 2020, 1:40 pm

webdogs wrote:I applied for Cat A & B on 22/7/19. Referred to Service NSW for photo on 8/2/20, 6.5 months in total :roll:
For some reason the notification went to my PO Box so didn't get the letter until yesterday. Photo done today. Will lodge the PTA in a few days when it changes to valid. Then have to wait 6-8 weeks for PTA I believe. It'll be close to a 10 month ordeal by the time I get it in my hands and head out with mates.
I rang last September but the FAR said they were only doing March, so I waited a few months. Then I saw some that had applied after me were approved so I rang. The girl said she couldn't understand or see any reason why mine would be held up and would expedite it.
Still heard nothing for a while. Late January I rang and advised I would be drafting a letter to my local member. She said she'd ensure it was actioned and to check the internet link over the next week. About a week later it was done.
Seems like they're all over the shop.

It seems that way because they are. Everything Is.still manually done besdies the online application. From what i understand its 2 staff in some office near lismore who handle the lic applications and pta's. Nothing is going to change till they embrace technology end to end or put more staff on
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 28 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm

themarksman wrote:
What are you waiting on now Rookie?

Hey mate, Cat H .. and my eldest turned 18, so he is waiting for Cat A/B and H.

For my A/B target, I rang up and they said similar thing, “working on start of July”, and then it turned up in the mail. I reckon they’ve advanced from when you rang up but they don’t want to get our expectations up (by telling us exactly where they’re up to) in case of a stuff up ... I remember there were delays in printing the letters last year ...

So who knows, maybe something tmw (the hope filled Saturday morning status check) but not holding my breath. ... my application was late October 2019.

How about yourself?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 29 Feb 2020, 8:19 am

rookie wrote:
Hey mate, Cat H .. and my eldest turned 18, so he is waiting for Cat A/B and H.

For my A/B target, I rang up and they said similar thing, “working on start of July”, and then it turned up in the mail. I reckon they’ve advanced from when you rang up but they don’t want to get our expectations up (by telling us exactly where they’re up to) in case of a stuff up ... I remember there were delays in printing the letters last year ...

So who knows, maybe something tmw (the hope filled Saturday morning status check) but not holding my breath. ... my application was late October 2019.

How about yourself?

Waiting on Cat A/B December 16th. Long long wait ahead for me still :crazy: Goodluck checking today. Surely they have to eventually start catching up.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 29 Feb 2020, 8:51 am

themarksman wrote:Waiting on Cat A/B December 16th. Long long wait ahead for me still :crazy: Goodluck checking today. Surely they have to eventually start catching up.

Woo hoo: NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

But for my kid his status hasn’t changed and his app was lodged just 3 days after mine (I submitted mine on a Tuesday and he did his the Friday) .. last time my mate and I got our target lic (we were hunter lic prior), he was similarly a few days behind me but he got his two weeks after. It was like they did it in 2 week batches or that week was an off week.

Anyways still a bit of a wait for the paper and following plastic then even longer to get fully licenced after this PPL phase.

For the new applicants my advice is:
- try not to check status too often or you’ll go crazy - every Saturday morning is painful enough
- if you’re not rich, put away something like $50 a week - by the time 4 months for the lic and 1 month for the PTA and snail mail waiting is up, you should have atleast $1k to go towards what u like .. can be surprising the initial costs of getting up and running

Good luck guys!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 29 Feb 2020, 12:10 pm

rookie wrote:
Woo hoo: NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

But for my kid his status hasn’t changed and his app was lodged just 3 days after mine (I submitted mine on a Tuesday and he did his the Friday) .. last time my mate and I got our target lic (we were hunter lic prior), he was similarly a few days behind me but he got his two weeks after. It was like they did it in 2 week batches or that week was an off week.

Anyways still a bit of a wait for the paper and following plastic then even longer to get fully licenced after this PPL phase.

For the new applicants my advice is:
- try not to check status too often or you’ll go crazy - every Saturday morning is painful enough
- if you’re not rich, put away something like $50 a week - by the time 4 months for the lic and 1 month for the PTA and snail mail waiting is up, you should have atleast $1k to go towards what u like .. can be surprising the initial costs of getting up and running

Good luck guys!

Awesome mate. That’s tops. What date in October did you apply?
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 04 Mar 2020, 6:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I was speaking to one of my friends and he said he called the FAR this morning and they told him they’re still doing first week October
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 05 Mar 2020, 3:22 pm

FYI, this is my timeline
- 5th September - Completed the Firearm Safety Course
- 9th September - Received Certificate and applied for licence
- 19th January - Status on FAR website changed to "REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE"
- 28th January - Received letter in post box from NSW Police instructing to get a photo at any SERVICE NSW branch
- 30th January - Had photo taken at SERVICE NSW Branch
- 03rd February - Applied for PTA
- 05th February - Licence received in the mail
- 04th March - PTA Approved & Issued
~10-15th March - Should get PTAs in the mail and then go to the dealer..

7.5 months total
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 05 Mar 2020, 5:59 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:FYI, this is my timeline
- 19th January - Status on FAR website changed to "REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE"
- 28th January - Received letter in post box from NSW Police instructing to get a photo at any SERVICE NSW branch

7.5 months total

Thanks for the update. We appreciate knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. You are sooo close now! :drinks:

P.S. I calculate that as 6 months total time 5 Sept -> 10 March (6 months) :wtf:
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 06 Mar 2020, 5:54 pm

I saw this email today. Allegedly they are now up to 20th October 2019

89546542_157825582343285_7703331261955178496_n.jpg
89546542_157825582343285_7703331261955178496_n.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 06 Mar 2020, 7:06 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:FYI, this is my timeline

7.5 months total

I'm about 2 weeks behind your timeline. Waiting so long is going to make the trip to the gun shop so much sweeter :drinks:
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 09 Mar 2020, 3:44 pm

themarksman wrote:Thanks for the update. We appreciate knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. You are sooo close now! :drinks:

P.S. I calculate that as 6 months total time 5 Sept -> 10 March (6 months) :wtf:

Thanks for the pickup! Yes 6 months... just feels like 7 months., :wtf:

Update. My PTAs arrived in the post today 09th March.
Heading to the dealer on Friday arvo to collect my 22LR (CZ 452!), off to the bush next weekend to try it out.

The longest part is waiting for that licence to get approved. Getting photo taken, waiting for licence card time is fine.
The PTA process is pretty reasonable too (28 days cooling off, postage time etc).
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 09 Mar 2020, 4:05 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:
Thanks for the pickup! Yes 6 months... just feels like 7 months., :wtf:

Update. My PTAs arrived in the post today 09th March.
Heading to the dealer on Friday arvo to collect my 22LR (CZ 452!), off to the bush next weekend to try it out.

The longest part is waiting for that licence to get approved. Getting photo taken, waiting for licence card time is fine.
The PTA process is pretty reasonable too (28 days cooling off, postage time etc).

I have my 40th birthday in July so wanted to get it sorted before then. That's why I was calculating how many months it took you.

Hopefully some people got some good news on Sat morning... Meanwhile the rest of pray they are starting to catch back up
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws