Adding PPL to existing A/B long arms license

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Adding PPL to existing A/B long arms license

Post by ckraus » 14 Nov 2019, 3:01 pm

Hey,

I can't seem to get a straight answer from the FAR.

If I already have an A/B license and want to apply for a Cat H (and obviously a PPL for the first 12 months) what do I do?

Do I apply for a new application or do I just put in an application to ADD a cat H to an existing license?

Interesting the ServiceNSW allows you to do both. Although for the new application they charge $100 and the length is 12 months and for the addition of a category is comes back as $0 to add a cat H. The rest of the information you have to provide (such as the training / club membership certificate) is the same in both cases.

I only worked out this detail after submitting the adding a category at $0 as these were the instructions I received from the FAR. However afterwards I felt something was wrong so I called again and was then told I did it wrong.

Anyone else been in this situation? what did you do?
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Adding PPL to existing A/B long arms license

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2019, 3:50 pm

Are you a member of a pistol club to add H you need to be and your club should direct you on the correct processes
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by justgav » 14 Nov 2019, 6:12 pm

"New category and new genuine reason for a firearms licence (individual)"

That's what I did.
justgav
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2019, 9:42 pm

justgav wrote:"New category and new genuine reason for a firearms licence (individual)"

That's what I did.

But you have been a member of a pistol club for long enough for them to support your application for CatH?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by targetshooter900 » 15 Nov 2019, 7:34 am

it cost me 200$ to add ppl , it is a seperate licence apparently. You even get a seperate plastic card. They couldn’t waive the 200$ licence fee for me, i questioned them about it
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 15 Nov 2019, 11:06 pm

targetshooter900 wrote:it cost me 200$ to add ppl , it is a seperate licence apparently. You even get a seperate plastic card. They couldn’t waive the 200$ licence fee for me, i questioned them about it

Yes and at the end of your 12 months they combine them if you finnish all your required shoots for the year
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 17 Nov 2019, 7:47 am

Like u ckraus, I have Cat A/B (hunter + target). About 3 weeks ago, I did “new category + new genuine reason” Cat H ($0 ServiceNSW fees) - about 1.5 weeks later got the letter advising of new PPL licence number to track online. Hoping the PPL might come thru early in the new year. Will post any updates as I come across them.

Good luck
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 28 Dec 2019, 11:19 pm

rookie wrote:Like u ckraus, I have Cat A/B (hunter + target). About 3 weeks ago, I did “new category + new genuine reason” Cat H ($0 ServiceNSW fees) - about 1.5 weeks later got the letter advising of new PPL licence number to track online. Hoping the PPL might come thru early in the new year. Will post any updates as I come across them.

Good luck

Thanks. I ended getting a return call from FAR and they said the way I did it was fine. The fee payable would be payable when I visit ServiceNSW with photo letter advice.

Just have to wait now...
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 29 Feb 2020, 9:01 am

ckraus wrote:Just have to wait now...

Just got my PPL referred to ServiceNSW - applied late October.

You might be 3-4 weeks behind :thumbsup:
Last edited by rookie on 01 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 01 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm

rookie wrote:
You might be 3-4 weeks behind :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit