Poachers to be hunted

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Poachers to be hunted

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Jun 2014, 7:35 pm

Heads up for those affected in NSW, make sure EVERYTHING is in order when your out hunting.

http://www.tenterfieldstar.com.au/story/2326818/poachers-to-be-hunted/?cs=1514
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Poachers to be hunted

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2014, 7:51 pm

They are after everyone who doesn't comply with the rules as far as I can tell going by the story, not only will they target your firearms compliance but no doubt your vehicle too.

Last long weekend they had road blocks just out of Lithgow targeting 4wds and those going camping etc, they searched vehicles etc for any signs of illegal activities etc, no doubt they caught a few who weren't complying with firearms storage regs etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by gherx » 06 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

They had a big operation outside Mansfield here in Victoria a 2 months ago or something.

Checking licenses, game permits, game and calibres, the lot.

Sounds like Lithgow too, pulling over everyone in a 4WD type vehicle.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by chilliman » 06 Jun 2014, 5:16 pm

Good!

Those that don't play by the rules give all of us a bad name.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by whert » 09 Jun 2014, 8:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:no doubt they caught a few who weren't complying with firearms storage regs etc.

You have storage regs in your cars in NSW?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 09 Jun 2014, 8:15 pm

chilliman wrote:Good!

Those that don't play by the rules give all of us a bad name.

I'm all for that, gotta agree with some of the comments on the article though.

The term "illegal hunting" is completely inappropriate IMO.

You're either a hunter, or a poacher. Not both.

IMO, they make it sound like all hunters are just itching to do it illegally and it's only these crackdowns that are keeping them at bay.

Unfairly paints a poor picture of the law abiding shooting community IMO.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by nords » 09 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

Sounds like they're just aching to close state forests on you boys again.

All the best with it.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm

whert wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:no doubt they caught a few who weren't complying with firearms storage regs etc.

You have storage regs in your cars in NSW?

Yes mate apparently we do - its a bit of a grey area in places (especially when leaving a vehicle unattended) etc.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... h_2012.pdf

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... y_2013.pdf
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Jun 2014, 5:06 am

After reading those regs mate, it seems if you belong to the "Department of Environment and Climate Change" you may travel with loaded firearms... WTF ???

EDIT : Ok after sussing that one out a bit, it seems Park Rangers come under the Department of Environment and Climate Change. Cant say Ive ever run into an armed Park Ranger, but I assume they would have access to firearms in the course of there jobs.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2014, 6:57 am

MeccaOz wrote:After reading those regs mate, it seems if you belong to the "Department of Environment and Climate Change" you may travel with loaded firearms... WTF ???

EDIT : Ok after sussing that one out a bit, it seems Park Rangers come under the Department of Environment and Climate Change. Cant say Ive ever run into an armed Park Ranger, but I assume they would have access to firearms in the course of there jobs.

I vaguely remember a story about a Ranger or something like that having his rifle stolen or sitting on a seat in his car and someone calling the cops or something, usual media beat up about it.

There was a story recently about fella's having to front court because they had a knife on them (pig hunters from memory) - crazy laws.

For me depending on where I'm going ie local or travelling further, local I put my rifle in a rifle bag, ammo and all my other gear is stored in a locked ammo box, if travelling further I have a steel box I mount to the ute to store my rifles in that.

I've heard of people being done for not securing the ammo correctly (ie had a round sitting on the floor after a night/day of shooting type thing) which can be an easy thing to happen especially at night spotlighting in the heat of battle so too speak, I do a quick search of the vehicle and pick up all the empties etc and make sure everything is secure before heading home (that includes the knives which get locked away with the ammo).

I don't need the hassles or expense to defend what to me are essentially over the top regs/rule whatever you want to call them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Jun 2014, 7:16 am

bigfellascott wrote:I vaguely remember a story about a Ranger or something like that having his rifle stolen or sitting on a seat in his car and someone calling the cops or something, usual media beat up about it.

There was a story recently about fella's having to front court because they had a knife on them (pig hunters from memory) - crazy laws.

For me depending on where I'm going ie local or travelling further, local I put my rifle in a rifle bag, ammo and all my other gear is stored in a locked ammo box, if travelling further I have a steel box I mount to the ute to store my rifles in that.

I've heard of people being done for not securing the ammo correctly (ie had a round sitting on the floor after a night/day of shooting type thing) which can be an easy thing to happen especially at night spotlighting in the heat of battle so too speak, I do a quick search of the vehicle and pick up all the empties etc and make sure everything is secure before heading home (that includes the knives which get locked away with the ammo).

I don't need the hassles or expense to defend what to me are essentially over the top regs/rule whatever you want to call them.

Yeah I'm the same way mate, but I live in the state which thinks empty brass is loaded and is a weapon in itself ... Too bad if I miss a case a mate has fired off the back of ute, and i dont have a gun licensed for that ammo :roll:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2014, 9:33 am

MeccaOz wrote:Yeah I'm the same way mate, but I live in the state which thinks empty brass is loaded and is a weapon in itself ... Too bad if I miss a case a mate has fired off the back of ute, and i dont have a gun licensed for that ammo :roll:

Bloody stupid laws alright, only people they catch are those who aren't intentionally doing something wrong - a law that needs a rethink I reckon.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 10 Jun 2014, 11:58 am

VICHunter wrote:The term "illegal hunting" is completely inappropriate IMO.

You're either a hunter, or a poacher. Not both.

IMO, they make it sound like all hunters are just itching to do it illegally and it's only these crackdowns that are keeping them at bay.

Unfairly paints a poor picture of the law abiding shooting community IMO.

Hear, hear.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 10 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't need the hassles or expense to defend what to me are essentially over the top regs/rule whatever you want to call them.

I'm the same. I do quite a few things which are 'over the top' just to save myself the potential hassle.

For instance (and don't quote me on this) I'm 99% sure you don't legally have to remove your bolt while transporting a rifle in Victoria.

All the documents, safety books, website FAQs etc. all say you should for safety (which is fine), but as far as I know there is no legislation which says you must remove it.

It seems though that through Chinese whisper and various (mis)interpretations, I've observed that many people think you legally do have to remove it. I've also read of people being subject to a lot of grief when an authority figure, be it a ranger, police, or whoever, has objected to the bolt being in someone's rifle during transport.

I'm not really criticising them for making the mistake either. To be fair, a cop pulling you over for a random stop can't be expected to know every piece of legislation and law inside out, back to front and upside down. Mistakes or misinterpretations are going to happen.

Having said that... Regardless of what I'm allowed to do, I have no desire to put myself through the grief of proving I did nothing wrong when someone else mistakenly believes I have.

For the reason I always have the bolt out. Ammo locked in a container. Never leave a rifle unattended in the car even for a minute, unless my partner (licensed) is there to watch them and so on.

As in most things, a few minutes extra work now can save your hours or days grief later.

My 2c.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I don't need the hassles or expense to defend what to me are essentially over the top regs/rule whatever you want to call them.

I'm the same. I do quite a few things which are 'over the top' just to save myself the potential hassle.

For instance (and don't quote me on this) I'm 99% sure you don't legally have to remove your bolt while transporting a rifle in Victoria.

All the documents, safety books, website FAQs etc. all say you should for safety (which is fine), but as far as I know there is no legislation which says you must remove it.

It seems though that through Chinese whisper and various (mis)interpretations, I've observed that many people think you legally do have to remove it. I've also read of people being subject to a lot of grief when an authority figure, be it a ranger, police, or whoever, has objected to the bolt being in someone's rifle during transport.

I'm not really criticising them for making the mistake either. To be fair, a cop pulling you over for a random stop can't be expected to know every piece of legislation and law inside out, back to front and upside down. Mistakes or misinterpretations are going to happen.

Having said that... Regardless of what I'm allowed to do, I have no desire to put myself through the grief of proving I did nothing wrong when someone else mistakenly believes I have.

For the reason I always have the bolt out. Ammo locked in a container. Never leave a rifle unattended in the car even for a minute, unless my partner (licensed) is there to watch them and so on.

As in most things, a few minutes extra work now can save your hours or days grief later.

My 2c.

That's pretty much how I see it too mate, easier to just do what you and I both do, rather than have all the hassles and costs that come with defending ones self in court, lock everything away and really they have little to complain about then - well that's my theory on it anyway :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 11 Jun 2014, 6:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:easier to just do what you and I both do, rather than have all the hassles and costs that come with defending ones self in court

Yeah, who needs all that stress and BS.

Even if it never gets put to the test, peace of mind is a great thing.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:easier to just do what you and I both do, rather than have all the hassles and costs that come with defending ones self in court

Yeah, who needs all that stress and BS.

Even if it never gets put to the test, peace of mind is a great thing.

That's in a nutshell mate, I look at it as cheap insurance in a way, better to do what I can to prevent any unnecessary hassles and the associated costs that go with getting pinged. :D

It can get rather expensive going by my mates effort! - cost him around $10k to defend himself in court (coulda brought a few sakos with that)!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 13 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:It can get rather expensive going by my mates effort! - cost him around $10k to defend himself in court (coulda brought a few sakos with that)!

Bugger :(

Any details you're able to share on that? What trouble he got into?

(Totally understand if not...)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2014, 7:17 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:It can get rather expensive going by my mates effort! - cost him around $10k to defend himself in court (coulda brought a few sakos with that)!

Bugger :(

Any details you're able to share on that? What trouble he got into?

(Totally understand if not...)

No mate, best not too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 14 Jun 2014, 8:11 am

Poachers to be hunted

Good luck with that then!!!! :lol: :D :lol

Although I hear the future King of England and so soccer player are now on the job! Are they for real?

http://www.etcanada.com/blogs/etc_99809 ... de/celebs/
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 14 Jun 2014, 8:56 am

lol Westy all I can of now is Robin Hood.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:No mate, best not too.

Sure. No worries, just curious.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 16 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Looks like they caught a few

More game for us honest hunters now then.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 16 Jun 2014, 1:36 pm

Some expensive looking compound bows there.

Bet that's hurting the wallets of the blokes who lost them. Oh well, that's what you get for doing the wrong thing I suppose.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws