NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Khalild » 30 Mar 2020, 7:10 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:Once you go down service new how long did the registry take to update the systems. I did it on Saturday and I'm still unable to do a pta or anything

I was about 4 days later. They say wait till your licence comes on the mail as rule of thumb. If it's any consolation. Pta's are pretty bang on a month
Khalild
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 46
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 30 Mar 2020, 7:37 pm

Thanks mate
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by MrsAcko » 01 Apr 2020, 11:06 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:Thanks mate

I went to service nsw with my photo advice on the 23rd, licence came in the mail on the 30th, showed on the registry as valid on the 31st but still couldn’t apply for a pta until a day later when the service nsw synced with the registry.. so applied for PTA’s on the 1st!
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 02 Apr 2020, 4:12 am

Yea the far has come up as valid but still not showing on services nsw. I'll try again tomorrow
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 02 Apr 2020, 5:18 pm

Licence arrived in the post today, still not updated on services end tho.
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Khalild » 02 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm

:lol: The day has finally come. Application for licence 20th August pta arrived today 2nd april. 7 months and change from go to woe. The trip to the gunshop is going to feel like winning Olympic gold in the world's longest marathon :lol:
Khalild
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 46
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 03 Apr 2020, 9:15 am

Finally able to apply for pta, quiet happy with how long everything has taken for me. Especially in nsw, and especially how long some of you poor buggers have had to wait. All going well 28 more days till i can buy my rifle. Gun safe should arrive early next week,
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Khalild » 03 Apr 2020, 11:27 am

Beno_1986 wrote:Finally able to apply for pta, quiet happy with how long everything has taken for me. Especially in nsw, and especially how long some of you poor buggers have had to wait. All going well 28 more days till i can buy my rifle. Gun safe should arrive early next week,

The final hurdle. You can check the status same as your licence. Took them just under 2 weeks to mail out from date of issue which is about what they say. Just gotta take in to account all the public holidays this month.
Khalild
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 46
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 03 Apr 2020, 3:03 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:Finally able to apply for pta, quiet happy with how long everything has taken for me. Especially in nsw, and especially how long some of you poor buggers have had to wait. All going well 28 more days till i can buy my rifle. Gun safe should arrive early next week,


Wow! I have no idea how you managed to get yours so quickly but congrats :drinks: :drinks:

I am at 108 days waiting today (16th December)
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 71
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Fulcrum » 03 Apr 2020, 3:53 pm

8-)
themarksman wrote:Wow! I have no idea how you managed to get yours so quickly but congrats :drinks: :drinks:

I am at 108 days waiting today (16th December)


Right behind you at 90 days 8-)
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 42
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by .22lover » 03 Apr 2020, 5:35 pm

I'm at over 140 days now. But on the bright side my missus is just waiting for her licence status to go valid and then is gonna apply for her 1st PTA.
Fingers crossed by the time her wait for the PTA is up and it gets approved my licence application will be approved and we can go do some exercise plinking together.
Sucks though because she applied after me lol.
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 9
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 03 Apr 2020, 6:16 pm

I don't get it guys, i really dont. When i first started reading up i was thinking their goes a years membership etc etc and consciously didnt go on far regularly so it would hopefully go quicker, I'd set an alarm on my phone calander for the 28 days, but was out bush with no service when it went off, got home Sunday, and thought f*** it I'll just see, and i was directed to services, at a tad over the 28days, can't get my head around how some are at 100 days plus.
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by .22lover » 03 Apr 2020, 7:17 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:I don't get it guys, i really dont. When i first started reading up i was thinking their goes a years membership etc etc and consciously didnt go on far regularly so it would hopefully go quicker, I'd set an alarm on my phone calander for the 28 days, but was out bush with no service when it went off, got home Sunday, and thought f*** it I'll just see, and i was directed to services, at a tad over the 28days, can't get my head around how some are at 100 days plus.


I don't know either tbh. I've called the registry twice and both times got different answers. First time they said they were up to early/mid November 2019 second time they said they only just started October 2019. I hate to do it, but I'll be calling them again Monday and be politely requesting to speak to the chief supervisor to try and get to the bottom of it. I suspect they may have made an error in the processing of some licences and they're just sitting in the system.
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 9
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 04 Apr 2020, 7:33 am

.22lover wrote:
I don't know either tbh. I've called the registry twice and both times got different answers. First time they said they were up to early/mid November 2019 second time they said they only just started October 2019. I hate to do it, but I'll be calling them again Monday and be politely requesting to speak to the chief supervisor to try and get to the bottom of it. I suspect they may have made an error in the processing of some licences and they're just sitting in the system.


Let us know how you go on Monday
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 71
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 05 Apr 2020, 10:40 am

How long once you lodge your 1st pta on the services nsw page does it take to go on to the far website.?
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Khalild » 05 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:How long once you lodge your 1st pta on the services nsw page does it take to go on to the far website.?
I checked about 2 weeks in and it was updated. I would imagine it would be less than that
Khalild
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 46
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by .22lover » 06 Apr 2020, 9:51 am

So I got through to the cheif supervisor at the FAR. Basically they send your application off to NSW police ( adjudication team) for background checks and to get it signed off.
If the police run your name and it comes up with no dealings with police ever...they approve it straight away. If it flags though even for something small like a driving offence or having been to court in the past even if it was 15 years ago, they then do a full in depth background check that gets looked over and signed off by a senior officer. I was told this can take months as there's so many variables.
Once the FAR send it to NSW Police they can't track it...it's just a waiting game.
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 9
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 06 Apr 2020, 10:03 am

.22lover wrote:So I got through to the cheif supervisor at the FAR. Basically they send your application off to NSW police ( adjudication team) for background checks and to get it signed off.
If the police run your name and it comes up with no dealings with police ever...they approve it straight away. If it flags though even for something small like a driving offence or having been to court in the past even if it was 15 years ago, they then do a full in depth background check that gets looked over and signed off by a senior officer. I was told this can take months as there's so many variables.
Once the FAR send it to NSW Police they can't track it...it's just a waiting game.



Sounds odd, so what is the purpose of the FAR then? just paper pushing?

Did the Chief Supervisor mention if there is a way to contact the adjudication team?
duddley75
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 40
New South Wales

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to New South Wales gun laws