NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Paulinho21 » 05 Feb 2022, 8:20 pm

just applied for my license on the 28th i was just wondering with the 28 days wait time is that usually when u know if ur license is approved then it takes more time for them to tell you to get your photo done or does it all come at the same time.
Also when I did my safety course they mentioned you might aswell get category B. with the special needs option is there a right or wrong answer with the options provided? As they didnt mention anything about it in the course. Is Cat B something that gets rejected or do they just try make it sound harder to acquire?

thanks appreciate any response
Paulinho21
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 09 Feb 2022, 10:03 am

Hey mate, welcome.

I went through the licensing process late last year and my experience was that after submitting the stuff online it was just over 4 weeks before I got my letter in the mail to take to Service NSW to get the photo.

From going to Service NSW to card in had was one week.

A/B is pretty much the same licence and there were no additional questions/delays so you might as well get both at the same time. You need Cat B to shoot any centrefire competition and that provides you a valid reason for holding a Cat B.

I also lodged the PTA as soon as I had my licence in hand and got that back in just over 4 weeks.

And now i've had to wait another month for the gear I want to arrive at the shop so if you want something specific maybe order it at the same time as you put in the PTA
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Feb 2022, 10:40 am

Paulinho21 wrote:just applied for my license on the 28th i was just wondering with the 28 days wait time is that usually when u know if ur license is approved then it takes more time for them to tell you to get your photo done or does it all come at the same time.
Also when I did my safety course they mentioned you might aswell get category B. with the special needs option is there a right or wrong answer with the options provided? As they didnt mention anything about it in the course. Is Cat B something that gets rejected or do they just try make it sound harder to acquire?

thanks appreciate any response

CatA only allows you to use and own CatA firearms, rimfire rifles and shotguns, no centrefire rifles. It might include blackpowder, I'd have to check.

Cat B allows you use and own centrefire rifles.

Get both, and get hunting and target on your licence as genuine reasons so you don't exclude yourself from anything. CatA/B let's you use 99% of all longarms available to Australians. Basically, anything that is not a semi-auto rifle or shotgun, or a pump shotgun, or a lever shotgun of more than five-round capacity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Paulinho21 » 10 Feb 2022, 11:05 am

Thanks guys
the main reason for getting my license is to get my hands on my late grandfathers shot gun, dont know many people into hunting but if it does happen would love to get into rifle hunting for deer for example. cant wait to get my license as it been a while ive been waiting
Paulinho21
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Paulinho21 » 04 Mar 2022, 9:44 am

received my photo advice at 35 days
Paulinho21
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JAD03 » 13 Oct 2022, 6:10 am

Hi everyone, submitted my application 30 days ago for cat a/b. Just wondering if anyone had any more up to date info on wait times etc.
It was with a premission to shoot letter if it makes any difference
Thanks
JAD03
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JAD03 » 15 Oct 2022, 6:17 am

Changed to photo advice issued this morning at 32 days. Seems pretty quick to me
JAD03
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws