NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Shooter303. » 11 Mar 2021, 7:08 am

I am transferring from my minors license to full license, I had to resubmit my Firearms Safety Certificate, this was all done in Dec 2020, Still my new license is pending, does this put a big delay on the license application approval wait and if so how long, have rang the register but they have not been able to tell me.
Shooter303.
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm

I was told 5 weeks ago mine would be another 4 weeks heading towards 5 months now . They said that 16,000 new license applications had been made and it was slowing everything down. It’s only supposed to take 28 days !
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 12 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm

Just want to double check my understanding is right on the process:
- after receiving paper confirmation of approval
- go to Services NSW get photo taken
- receive licence in post
- now we can apply for PTA
- wait until PTA approval received in post, take it to shop, arrange purchase
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 12 Mar 2021, 7:14 pm

djmm wrote:Just want to double check my understanding is right on the process:
- after receiving paper confirmation of approval
- go to Services NSW get photo taken
- receive licence in post
- now we can apply for PTA
- wait until PTA approval received in post, take it to shop, arrange purchase

Pretty much. I do recall I applied for my pta before the licence had arrived in the mail. I did it as soon as it said issued online. Also, don’t forget there is the 28 day waiting period for first pta. I think it took me about 35 days including arrival in the mail.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 12 Mar 2021, 8:00 pm

The 28 days means if I apply for PTA and received it, I need to wait 28 days before I can take that paper to shop?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 12 Mar 2021, 8:36 pm

djmm wrote:The 28 days means if I apply for PTA and received it, I need to wait 28 days before I can take that paper to shop?

You apply for the pta and there is a 28 day waiting period. After 28 and a few days they will post it, then you wait for postage. Once you get it, you can take to a gun shop and purchase.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 12 Mar 2021, 8:51 pm

Oh ok - fair enough - thanks.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 13 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm

I’m still over a year and waiting now for approval by the FAR for a cat A B but I do know they are looking at my file as my original application on the 02/03/2020 was cat A B REC HUNT CLUB, TARGET SHOOT REC HUNT PERMISSION TO SHOOT but a month or so ago I found out the guy that owns the property that signed my permission to shoot form had some trouble with the law he is a family friend and his parents said he had mental problems and was recently busted in possession of drugs so I obviously was a bit worried about my application going threw so I rang the far and they got me to write a letter formally withdrawing the permission to shoot sections of my application which I did and now on the online portal it has the same application date 02/03/2020 but under cat A and B it now says REC HUNT CLUB AND TARGET SHOOTING but unfortunately still says it is a new application being processed I suppose I will take it as a small win for now at least I know they have at least processed part of the application or at least looking at it.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Mar 2021, 11:01 am

Is it normal to receive the physical license in the post but the online registry check is not updated yet?
Do we need to wait for it to be updated before applying for PTA?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Mar 2021, 11:47 am

If you have the licence in hand, it will be valid, apply away.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Mar 2021, 5:37 pm

Okay cool will do then. Cheers
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 19 Mar 2021, 5:52 pm

djmm wrote:Is it normal to receive the physical license in the post but the online registry check is not updated yet?
Do we need to wait for it to be updated before applying for PTA?
that’s odd. Normally the web updates while the licence is in transit, but like gamerancher says, it will be ok to use the licence. The web is supposed to reflect the status so simply mustn’t have been updated.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm

Weird - I tried applying for PTA and it says I can't apply at this time. I guess because online, the status hasn't been updated yet then?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 19 Mar 2021, 8:48 pm

djmm wrote:Weird - I tried applying for PTA and it says I can't apply at this time. I guess because online, the status hasn't been updated yet then?

That’s correct. Can’t apply for the pta if it says not approved online. I’d be contacting the registry and telling them.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Mar 2021, 8:51 pm

Yeah I might do that Monday
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 20 Mar 2021, 5:21 pm

Update - status updated now. But now the PTA website is playing up lol

UPDATE - Managed to applied for PTA today, system seems to be okay now.

Just wondering, I am actually doing a pistol target shoot as well and only got the certification etc last week. Is it okay to apply for pistol license now, while I have a first rifle PTA in the system, ie - system won't get 'confused' and hold back all application? Cheers.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Mar 2021, 8:32 am

No, the system won't get "confused". In NSW an application for a pistol licence is treated separately from any longarm licence.
Working from memory here, you will first be issued a probationary pistol licence which will carry a different licence number with restrictions and clauses.
After completing your "probation", a full licence is issued under the same number as any pre-existing licence which will now have category H added to it.
Don't hold your breath, mine took about 14 months. ( That's after holding a longarm licence for over 30 years )
P.S, I just had a PTA approved and issued in under 7 days. ( Talking NSW here )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 22 Mar 2021, 10:18 am

Oh okay thanks, yeah that makes sense as longarm is a full license. I guess I just need to apply and just practice the rifle skill while I wait then.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Mar 2021, 10:53 am

I only did mine as I was due to have shoulder surgery. I figured it would allow me to at least keep up with some form of shooting.
Turned out I wound up having three lots of surgery, ( twice on one and then the other ), and was back shooting rifles before the pistol licence came through.
Only went through with it because of the effort I had put into it and also didn't want "them" to win.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 22 Mar 2021, 3:49 pm

11 months and waiting.
Been licenced in VIC for thirty years and own several firearms, betting that when NSW licence is issued I will have to "cool off" for 28 days before a PTA would be issued.
I wonder if I die of old age prior to licence issue would they refund [substantial] application fee to the missus ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by novice » 28 Mar 2021, 8:12 am

hi all,
Just thought i would post about my licensing experience..
I have been waiting since the 22/10/2020 with the usual frustrations. Yesterday(27/3/2021) I checked the registry for the millionth time to find that my application has been referred to service N.S.W for issue.
After the usual calls to the registry with the usual answers, I decided to write a letter to my local M.P. to get involved on my behalf, after hearing this may be an avenue to help things along, which she did to her credit.
So 2 or so weeks after her correspondence my status changed from 'new application/not authorised for firearms' to 'new application referred to service N.S.W'
I don't know if my letter influenced the proceedings (the timing seems to indicate as much) or it happened in its own time. But for all of you who are at the mercy of this process, I cant see why such a letter wouldn't help your cause.
Interestingly, it seems the expiry date of my license (5year) has been calculated from date of issue, not date of application, which you would expect but I wasn't sure about. Unfortunately I don't think I can get the 5 months of SSAA membership back dated.
Anyway, good luck to you all.
novice
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 29 Mar 2021, 1:00 pm

5 months and still waiting ! This whole Firearm registry is hopelessly inept and slow to work as it was allegedly meant to. I cannot begin to understand why it is taking so long to get a License and then we have to wait another “ 28 “ days ! Yeah nah their dreaming or they are actively dragging their feet.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 29 Mar 2021, 2:48 pm

Adzy wrote:5 months and still waiting ! This whole Firearm registry is hopelessly inept and slow to work as it was allegedly meant to. I cannot begin to understand why it is taking so long to get a License and then we have to wait another “ 28 “ days ! Yeah nah their dreaming or they are actively dragging their feet.

It's been over 12 months here.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 29 Mar 2021, 5:24 pm

DFP wrote:
Adzy wrote:5 months and still waiting ! This whole Firearm registry is hopelessly inept and slow to work as it was allegedly meant to. I cannot begin to understand why it is taking so long to get a License and then we have to wait another “ 28 “ days ! Yeah nah their dreaming or they are actively dragging their feet.

It's been over 12 months here.[/quote

It makes a mockery of their website claims of 98% satisfied customers !
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 30 Mar 2021, 8:47 am

Gamerancher wrote:No, the system won't get "confused". In NSW an application for a pistol licence is treated separately from any longarm licence.
Working from memory here, you will first be issued a probationary pistol licence which will carry a different licence number with restrictions and clauses.
After completing your "probation", a full licence is issued under the same number as any pre-existing licence which will now have category H added to it.
Don't hold your breath, mine took about 14 months. ( That's after holding a longarm licence for over 30 years )
P.S, I just had a PTA approved and issued in under 7 days. ( Talking NSW here )

I just submitted an application for a PTA yesterday afternoon for a shotgun and this morning on the FAR website it is showing as issued. Surprised how quick that was.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MattS » 05 Apr 2021, 7:58 am

Well I'm up to 484 days now, or 16 months, since I recieved my "ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF FIREARMS LICENCE APPLICATION" letter in early december of 2019. I checked my licence on the register today and it has changed from "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" to "This licence is NOT valid". This is the same response as when entering an incorrect number.

I havent recieved a notice of refusal, and I do not know of any grounds on which they could possibly refuse the licence, so I am still hopeful. At the very least this will bring me some closure and, after nearly 17 months, an update on my application
MattS
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JEL93 » 07 Apr 2021, 7:49 pm

MattS wrote:Well I'm up to 484 days now, or 16 months, since I recieved my "ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF FIREARMS LICENCE APPLICATION" letter in early december of 2019. I checked my licence on the register today and it has changed from "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" to "This licence is NOT valid". This is the same response as when entering an incorrect number.

I havent recieved a notice of refusal, and I do not know of any grounds on which they could possibly refuse the licence, so I am still hopeful. At the very least this will bring me some closure and, after nearly 17 months, an update on my application

That is just ridiculous, even if they refuse you how it takes 17 months for them to make that decision is crazy. I'm at 7 months now and ready this doesn't give me any hope.
JEL93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dandry » 08 Apr 2021, 9:23 am

Dandry wrote:For those trying to gauge current wait times, I just got my refer to Service status update. Dates so far are:
26/10 did the course
26/10 joined club
26/10 applied online via SNSW
30/10 got the acknowledgement letter from FAR (saying application date 26/10
Renewed club membership somewhere in-between
13/2/21 (Sat) 110 days later referred to SNSW for photo
19/2 (Fri) letter arrived
19/2 photo taken

now waiting for status to update

This is for Cat A & B hunting & target

PTA's arrived today, final timeline is:

26/10/20 course
26/10/20 club membership
26/10/20 applied online
30/10/20 acknowledgement letter (application date shows 26/10)
13/2/21 referred to SNSW (110 days)
19/2 Letter received
19/2 Photo taken
26/2 Receive licence
27/2 online status changed to 'Valid' 124 days
27/2 PTA application
30/3 PTA issued online 155 days
8/4 PTA received 164 days
8/4 Firearms purchased

164 days end to end
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 17 Apr 2021, 7:31 am

Finally at last ! My license is referred to Service NSW for issue ! It’s been 6 months.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dandry » 17 Apr 2021, 7:49 am

Adzy wrote:Finally at last ! My license is referred to Service NSW for issue ! It’s been 6 months.

Congrats. Based on my experience, now only another ~50+ days to go until you actually get a firearm!
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws