NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 07 Jul 2019, 7:22 pm

Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:

ckraus wrote:Interestingly I applied for my sons minors permit at the same time (paper based) and no news at all on that one yet. Although they were quick to take payment :-)

Damn .. I just submitted applications for my kids during the week ... I sent using express post with tracking. Interestingly, it was redirected from Murwillumbah back to Parramatta ...

Maybe the delays are because they’re moving offices? :unknown:

I’m not sure if they are ... just don’t know why else they would’ve redirected the mail ..

Hoping u can let us know when the kids permits come thru ckraus :friends:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by grumpyaardvark » 13 Jul 2019, 10:12 am

rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:

Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 13 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm

Application went into the system on the 13th May and still waiting for a status change. Given what others have posted I guess it may change status in the next week or two. Looks like a minimum 10 weeks here in NSW.

How long is the PTA taking at the moment?
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 14 Jul 2019, 3:00 pm

ckraus wrote:29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
7/7 - Status changed to ‘referred to ServiceNSW for issue’.

Interestingly I applied for my sons minors permit at the same time (paper based) and no news at all on that one yet. Although they were quick to take payment :-)

Bit of an update. Despite showing referred to ServiceNSW on 7/7 it’s been a full 7 days and still no letter has arrived. Called them to check and was advised Australia Post can take up to 5 weeks. Where are they posting this from :-(

Also looks like they have lost my sons application. Have logged a query for someone to check.

So far has to be the worst government department i’ve ever ever ever dealt all my life.

Happy to follow the rules, happy to pay the money but this is an absolute disgrace in terms of service.
Last edited by ckraus on 14 Jul 2019, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 14 Jul 2019, 3:03 pm

rookie wrote:Damn .. I just submitted applications for my kids during the week ... I sent using express post with tracking. Interestingly, it was redirected from Murwillumbah back to Parramatta ...

Maybe the delays are because they’re moving offices?

I’m not sure if they are ... just don’t know why else they would’ve redirected the mail ..

Hoping u can let us know when the kids permits come thru ckraus :friends:

The story I got told is they send the paperwork to parramatta to take payment then send them back. Very inefficient.

Will let you know how I go..
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 14 Jul 2019, 7:36 pm

ckraus wrote:Bit of an update. Despite showing referred to ServiceNSW on 7/7 it’s been a full 7 days and still no letter has arrived. Called them to check and was advised Australia Post can take up to 5 weeks.

5 weeks, that’s BS

I always said they should let us collect the paperwork from a local police station - print it out there and get us to sign for it (unless they can’t trust their own police officers) .. or better yet just send it to ServiceNSW for them to use same photo as drivers licence and get us to collect from a nominated local branch ... having to use AustPost is absolutely crazy.

Anything that comes from FAR (Murwillumbah) is a minimum 6 day wait for me .. to Sydney metro.

Photo licence from Parkes was 5 days

ckraus wrote:Also looks like they have lost my sons application. Have logged a query for someone to check.

About the worst thing you want to hear.

Hope they fast track it and sort it out quickly for u

Wonder how long it would take before they admit that ... they still haven’t taken payment for my sons applications, AustPost say received 4 July 2019.

ckraus wrote:The story I got told is they send the paperwork to parramatta to take payment then send them back. Very inefficient.

That is unbelievable..

What I heard from an RO today was, was he heard that they (FAR) were piling up applications then dealing with them in batches .. so one week they would do fresh firearm lic applications, the next week might be minors permits, the next might be something else.

This sounds right to me, as a bunch of u guys that had firearm applications spread across April (ie. 4th to 27th) were all approved at the same time.

K2bonsai wrote:How long is the PTA taking at the moment?

I’m not personally aware of current delays for first time PTAs ..

Replies in this thread in Jan 2019 said it was pretty. much 28 days plus a week (that was also my experience): viewtopic.php?f=74&t=11289#p187223

Replies in this thread in April 2019 said much the same: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=11311

If it helps, I had a subsequent PTA issued in a few days and paperwork received 6 days later (mid June 2019). A 2 week process .. I think PTAs without a cooling off period are still dealt with weekly from all reports ..

ckraus wrote:Will let you know how I go..

Very much appreciated.

Best of luck with the application - hope u get ur ServiceNSW letter over the next couple of days!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 15 Jul 2019, 11:01 pm

ckraus wrote:
Bit of an update. Despite showing referred to ServiceNSW on 7/7 it’s been a full 7 days and still no letter has arrived. Called them to check and was advised Australia Post can take up to 5 weeks. Where are they posting this from :-(

they're making s**t up!

I called today (applied 14th May - tomorrow will be 9 weeks) I was told there is a 28 day cooling off period - that I'm really only on week 4.

I questioned her, because the letter I received didn't mention a 28 day hold period and was told it is legislated.

Just sounded like she would say anything to get me off the phone! correct me if I'm wrong but smells like BS.

Now 5 weeks for a letter to be posted! deadset, they think we're idiots.

I'm writing to my state member... will try to cc shooters and fishers party senators
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 16 Jul 2019, 7:24 am

ckraus wrote:Bit of an update. Despite showing referred to ServiceNSW on 7/7 it’s been a full 7 days and still no letter has arrived. Called them to check and was advised Australia Post can take up to 5 weeks. Where are they posting this from :-(

Nothing has shown in my letterbox either Ckraus, I cant believe that a 16 y/o kid can do a 10 minute exam on a computer and walk out with their car license, and it takes over 3 months before you even qualify for a firearms license. :clap:
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 16 Jul 2019, 7:41 am

jedipimp wrote:they're making s**t up!

I called today (applied 14th May - tomorrow will be 9 weeks) I was told there is a 28 day cooling off period - that I'm really only on week 4.

I questioned her, because the letter I received didn't mention a 28 day hold period and was told it is legislated.

Just sounded like she would say anything to get me off the phone! correct me if I'm wrong but smells like BS.

Now 5 weeks for a letter to be posted! deadset, they think we're idiots.

I'm writing to my state member... will try to cc shooters and fishers party senators

I got the same spiel when I called up a few times, something about how the 6-8 weeks mentioned on the letter does not include the 28 day cooling off period.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 18 Jul 2019, 1:43 pm

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
18/7 - ServiceNSW referral letter arrived (11 days to post 1 letter)
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 18 Jul 2019, 6:23 pm

I received my photo advice from nsw police force today also. I'm pretty sure my timeline is very close to yours plinker99
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 19 Jul 2019, 2:35 am

Plinker99 wrote:referral letter arrived (11 days to post 1 letter)

razor222 wrote:I received my photo advice from nsw police force today also

Good to hear guys!

What’s the bet they ran out of toner and it took whoever supplies their stationery a week to post anything up there ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 19 Jul 2019, 10:22 am

Just a heads up for those wishing to complete their photo advice, call ahead and ask them if their systems are working. found that out the hard way after driving 40km to my nearest RMS, only to be told it couldn't be done,

Yes Razor the dates seem to be spot on so far, probably confirming that everything is dealt with in batches.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 21 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

Latest on my journey...

17/7 - Letter for photo license finally arrived. Unfortunately i've been away so off to visit tomorrow to get it done.

Sons minors permit that was submitted at the same time has still had no movement. I've emailed and called and they stated the following in an email
"In relation to (my sons name) minors permit application. We have received the application but due to high volumes of applications being received it has not been scanned into our system as yet."
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 21 Jul 2019, 8:07 pm

ckraus wrote:17/7 - Letter for photo license finally arrived. Unfortunately i've been away so off to visit tomorrow to get it done.

Congrats ckraus :thumbsup: Welcome to all our newly licensed guys! Lots of fun to be had for u :thumbsup:

ckraus wrote:Sons minors permit that was submitted at the same time has still had no movement. I've emailed and called and they stated the following in an email
"In relation to (my sons name) minors permit application. We have received the application but due to high volumes of applications being received it has not been scanned into our system as yet."

Thanks for the update but shame about the status :x

.. I read in this thread same time last year it was only a month: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10312

Earlier this year (Jan 2019), I was told by other members of the hunting club that it would be a couple of weeks.

Will let everyone know of the progress for my kids minors permit applications (Cat A+B).

Took 2 weeks from the date I posted via express post for them to take payment so far.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 23 Jul 2019, 8:19 am

19/7 - Photo advice completed at ServiceNSW
23/7 - Status updated to Valid on the NSW FAR website
24/7 - Systems sync'd and allowed me to submit PTA
25/7 - Physical Card arrived in the mail

I guess that makes me fully licensed for category A/B Longarms. Just a few days shy of 3 months from application to completion, at least the whole process is simple & efficient :sarcasm:
Last edited by Plinker99 on 25 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 24 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Application went into the system on the 13th May and still waiting for a status change.

Still no change in status and this has now been over 10 weeks.... With time frames like that you would expect that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of new applications every year in NSW :unknown:

I guess as someone stated, they probably hold it for 28 days before moving it from one pile on someones desk to the second pile so the 6-8 weeks needs to have an extra 4 weeks on top. Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 25 Jul 2019, 9:36 am

K2bonsai wrote:Still no change in status and this has now been over 10 weeks.... With time frames like that you would expect that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of new applications every year in NSW :unknown:

I guess as someone stated, they probably hold it for 28 days before moving it from one pile on someones desk to the second pile so the 6-8 weeks needs to have an extra 4 weeks on top. Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:

More than likely your license will be referred to ServiceNSW over Friday night/Saturday morning. Fingers crossed you will be updated in a few days time.

All the best mate :thumbsup:
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Jul 2019, 1:21 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:

I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ... I was warned there was about a 10 - 12 week delay by the club I joined .. so you're hopefully almost there :thumbsup:

Let us know how you go.

Plinker99 wrote:29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
19/7 - Photo advice completed at ServiceNSW
23/7 - Status updated to Valid on the NSW FAR website
24/7 - Systems sync'd and allowed me to submit PTA

Good stuff Plinker99 .. just waiting on the card then? (and the PTA :roll:)

.. but having the card is great, cause you can always hire a gun at the range / borrow a gun out on the field .. handle guns at the gun shop, etc ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 25 Jul 2019, 4:01 pm

rookie wrote:I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ... I was warned there was about a 10 - 12 week delay by the club I joined .. so you're hopefully almost there :thumbsup:

Once this gets approved will it mean that you will get a new photo advice and eventually a new card? I would have thought that this would be a bit quicker than a new application!

rookie wrote:Good stuff Plinker99 .. just waiting on the card then? (and the PTA :roll:)

.. but having the card is great, cause you can always hire a gun at the range / borrow a gun out on the field .. handle guns at the gun shop, etc ..

The card arrived this afternoon mate, now just the final wait to go...
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 25 Jul 2019, 4:02 pm

Received a reply from my member...
Attachments
DE9D3BDC-9A17-41AE-9E80-FF3FDC90F7AB.jpeg
Write to your members guys... nowhere on the website does it state a 4 week hold period... I’ve worked in corporate long enough to know when someone’s gaming the stats
DE9D3BDC-9A17-41AE-9E80-FF3FDC90F7AB.jpeg (510.87 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Jul 2019, 5:06 pm

Plinker99 wrote:
rookie wrote:I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ...

Once this gets approved will it mean that you will get a new photo advice and eventually a new card?

Yep, another $75 .. :roll:

Plinker99 wrote:I would have thought that this would be a bit quicker than a new application!

Yeah, I would have thought it was a matter of making sure the target club (popular clay target club and member of ACTA) was still accredited and that was it. Maybe they do an updated criminal history check or something ..

But I'm not changing categories, etc, so thought it would be a rubber stamp ..

The hard thing is that nothing gets added to the online licence checker thing ... so there is no "pending" application for target.

Over the weekend, I'll go down the range where I know an RO when through the same thing between Feb to May and confirm that he didn't see anything on the online check when he went thru the same process.

Plinker99 wrote:The card arrived this afternoon mate, now just the final wait to go...

Woo hoo! :drinks: .. good having the card in your hands ... congrats!

jedipimp wrote:Received a reply from my member...

Good stuff .. so still no progress since the original application since 14 May?

Sounds similar to K2bonsai who applied 13 May ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 26 Jul 2019, 5:05 am

Plinker99 wrote:I guess that makes me fully licensed for category A/B Longarms. Just a few days shy of 3 months from application to completion, at least the whole process is simple & efficient :sarcasm:

Mine finally went valid on the FAR website yesterday and this morning was able to submit my PTA.

Now all I have to do is hope my sons permit moves along and something faster than a snails pace.

Chris
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 27 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

rookie wrote:

Nope, no progress... was hoping to see some movement in the mythical Saturday morning batch
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 27 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

rookie wrote:

Nope, no progress... was hoping to see some movement in the mythical Saturday morning batch
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 27 Jul 2019, 7:27 pm

ckraus wrote:Mine finally went valid on the FAR website yesterday and this morning was able to submit my PTA.

Congrats mate :thumbsup: finally some progress for u

ckraus wrote:Now all I have to do is hope my sons permit moves along and something faster than a snails pace.

It’s B/S isn’t it .. when u wanna do something with your kids and stuff ups like this just fs things up .. hope u get the minors permit before u get the PTA

jedipimp wrote:
rookie wrote: .. so still no progress since the original application since 14 May?

Bugger .. my application for a new genuine reason is about 3 weeks behind yours

I have a theory they won’t touch any May applications until August - leaving two full clear months (June and July) inbetween them where they don’t touch anything. Saves them from actually having to calculate 28 days and gives them a one month buffer incase any of them actually read anything wrong ..

If they miss processing your application during that month (like ckraus minor’s application) you just get shoved to the following month .. no fast tracking to “make good” on any stuff ups ..

Mine was lodged first thing in June, so if I don’t get progressed til September they probably only look at it once a month ... if August, they might be looking at applications twice a month ... will see
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 28 Jul 2019, 3:46 pm

Woohoo, the magic Saturday sweep is apparently a thing as my status has now changed!!

13th May - Submitted and advised of wait 6-8 weeks
27th July - NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Now to wait for the the next stage - at least we are on the way!
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 02 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm

Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

They called because of the email to my member of parliament. I reiterated the reason for my escalation was not that the process was taking too long but rather the false information provided by staff when you call.

Today they confirmed that there is no holding/cooling off period for the license application process - only the first PTA. The legislation says that a license may not be permitted in less than 28 days - fine the letter says 6-8 weeks!

So, it will have been 12 weeks between my application submission and photo advice status - probably 13 by the time the letter arrives. It’s simply a backlog they can’t get through quick enough.

Staff at FAR should now advise which application dates are being reviewed when applicants call rather than treating us like mushrooms.
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 03 Aug 2019, 8:15 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Woohoo, the magic Saturday sweep is apparently a thing as my status has now changed!!

Congrats :thumbsup:

jedipimp wrote:Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

How’d u go?

jedipimp wrote:It’s simply a backlog they can’t get through quick enough.

They state the obvious :roll: .. the underlying question is if their management team have got strategies to reduce the backlog ..

jedipimp wrote:Staff at FAR should now advise which application dates are being reviewed when applicants call

That’s a good thing ..

Thanks for taking it up with your MP Jedi and sharing the outcome :thumbsup: hope uv made progress
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 05 Aug 2019, 12:53 pm

rookie wrote:
jedipimp wrote:Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

How’d u go?

Went well, seen the status change come through in the Saturday morning batch, just waiting on the service NSW letter now.
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws