NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by grumpyaardvark » 14 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:
rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:

Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...

PTA issued 7 August, given my initial license application went in on 4 April that's four months from license application to issue of first PTA.

Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 14 Aug 2019, 12:51 pm

Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 15 Aug 2019, 10:38 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D

Good stuff mate :thumbsup: don’t know how you would’ve stayed away from the LGS and not see the rifle you ordered!

mikejay wrote:Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?

03 Jun 2019 - I applied to add a genuine reason to my exisiting “REC HUNT” licence and the online checker was updated overnight (early Thursday morning)!

I now have “TARGET SHOOTING” added. It is on the same line as the REC HUNT and marked as VALID.

Next step will be to await the ServiceNSW photo advice letter ..

During this process no “pending” application was added to the online checker .. so other than the ServiceNSW application you’re pretty much in the dark as to progress.

Gotta assume they treated it as a fresh application with a cooling off period even though my categories haven’t changed.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Col » 17 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm

My daughter applied for her first licence (Cat A, B, and C) back in May. Got the letter stating received 5th June 2019 and have been following on line to see the prgress.

Got the sh@ts last week and got her to call, lovely girl told us that it shouldnt be too long. Also confirmed all mail goes to Murwillumbah , then redirected to Parramatta for central processing, then back up to Murwillumbah to the FAR. She did agree that it was a "bit backwards".

Any way upshot of all this is I checked on line this morning and all approved just have to wait for letter in the mail I presume.

Licence Type Genuine Reason Application Date Issue Date Expiry Date Status
A PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
B PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
C PRIMARY PRODUCTION 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Only 10 weeks to this stage, now to wait on snail mail to deliver photo advice and then the Service NSW delay for photo from Parkes.

Will keep you posted.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 18 Aug 2019, 3:08 pm

Hi,
Does any one know which 'new licence application' dates the NSW firearms registry is currently processing? (eg. early or mid June appications)
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by webdogs » 19 Aug 2019, 10:04 pm

Hi all,
I did the online application 22 July and got the Acknowledgment Letter within a week. The letter is dated 26 July.

What's everyone's best estimate on when I get the notification to go for the photo? (Got a trip planned late Oct)

What happens after the photo? Another wait or good to go? Or does the photo licence then come with the PTA?

Thanks in advance.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Col » 19 Aug 2019, 10:47 pm

Hi Ayasi,

My daughters was received by FAR on 5th June 2019, so it would reasonable to assume early June.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Aug 2019, 9:08 am

Col wrote:Only 10 weeks to this stage, now to wait on snail mail to deliver photo advice and then the Service NSW delay for photo from Parkes.

Will keep you posted.

Col

Good stuff Col. hope ur daughter is excited :thumbsup:

I’m in the same boat waiting for the photo advice. I believe somewhere earlier in the thread, someone said they centralise the printing of the letters .. so not sure if they electronically send them all somewhere for printing over the weekend and send them out the start of the week.

I’ll make a point to check any postage stamp marks for any dates this time around. I typically get FAR notices on a Thursday but PTAs have come in on a Wednesday (Sydney metro)

Ayasi wrote:Hi,
Does any one know which 'new licence application' dates the NSW firearms registry is currently processing? (eg. early or mid June appications)

Mine approved last week was submitted 3 June 2019.

Another mate of mine lodged his application a week after mine (10-11 June) and wasn’t approved last week. I will check in with him later in the week to see if it comes through.

Our apps are just to add a genuine reason with no change of category.

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by grumpyaardvark » 21 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

rookie wrote:Good stuff mate :thumbsup: don’t know how you would’ve stayed away from the LGS and not see the rifle you ordered!

It was an exercise in self restraint ;) Now I need to resist the urge to take her out in the paddock and sight in. More important stuff to do...
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 22 Aug 2019, 9:25 am

Minors permits are still taking forever. After applying in April I finally had it be valid on August 3rd on FAR website.

However as of today still nothing in the mail :-(

I am thinking they must post these things from the North Pole with the Santa letters
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 22 Aug 2019, 6:58 pm

mikejay wrote:Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and thought a good place to start off would be to gripe about the application dolphin routine BS...7 weeks its been to renew an ooooold licence, expired in about 2004, called the nswfa and they said it could be another 3. Then it'll be another PITA 28 DAYS for the frick'n PTA. :crazy: :thumbsdown:
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 22 Aug 2019, 10:27 pm

webdogs wrote:What's everyone's best estimate on when I get the notification to go for the photo? (Got a trip planned late Oct)

12 or 19 Oct 2019 depending on postage..

webdogs wrote:What happens after the photo? Another wait or good to go? Or does the photo licence then come with the PTA?

After the photo, the ServiceNSW servers have got to sync with the FAR servers and once they do your online licence will change from “referred” to “”VALID”. For me this took a week, ie. photo taken on a Saturday, next Wednesday I had my card in my hands and that Friday my status changed to VALID. Another 24 hours go by and by Sunday morning I could lodge my PTA.

But basically, after you get your photo taken, you can do the rest via ServiceNSW online ..

grumpyaardvark wrote:It was an exercise in self restraint ;) Now I need to resist the urge to take her out in the paddock and sight in. More important stuff to do...

Yeah, I’d love to shoot all day but gotta work to pay for the ammo :lol:

ckraus wrote:Minors permits are still taking forever. After applying in April I finally had it be valid on August 3rd on FAR website.

However as of today still nothing in the mail :-(

Bloody ridiculous.. I thought it was poor my photo advice letter for new genuine reason hasn’t come yet and I was only referred last Thursday ... but yours is 3 weeks .. geez
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 22 Aug 2019, 11:10 pm

grumpyaardvark wrote:
grumpyaardvark wrote:
rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:

Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...

PTA issued 7 August, given my initial license application went in on 4 April that's four months from license application to issue of first PTA.

Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D

Geez, I'd better pull my finger out and get this thing underway :wtf:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ant » 24 Aug 2019, 11:31 am

I began the process about 12 months ago...

I called my local gun shop who recommended I get the forms posted out so they could check my paperwork was correct before I sent it off as any errors would cause delays. I could not simply download and print the forms, they needed to be posted. I called the firearms office in NSW for months but they did not answer. I filled out their online enquiry forms and also emailed them with no luck. I even called the police "General information line" who told me that the firearms office was busy and were not taking calls. The online system through ServiceNSW was not working either.

3 months later firearms emailed me an autogenerated response saying that applications were now done online and they did not post out the forms. I persevered and completed my firearms safety course ($80) then joined my local rifle club ($150) who took 3 months to process my paperwork and give me a membership number. I could then use these two forms to apply for my licence ($200) which has a mandatory 28 day cooling off period. It has now been 8 weeks and my licence application has still not been processed...
ant
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 24 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

Seems the license check website is broken again or is it just me?
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 24 Aug 2019, 5:48 pm

mikejay wrote:Seems the license check website is broken again or is it just me?

Came here to find out as it seems it must be!
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ant » 25 Aug 2019, 2:25 pm

I tried and it showed this error message.
Application Error - Please contact BTS Service Desk on 02 88355-555
It has happened before and when I called the number I got through to the internal IT desk at the police station which asked me to key in my employee ID and department...
What a joke
ant
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 25 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

I'm getting the same error.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 26 Aug 2019, 12:05 pm

mikejay wrote:Seems the license check website is broken again or is it just me?

It’s working again ..

My mate checked if his application, which was lodged a week after mine (mine was approved 15 Aug) made any progress last week.

It didn’t ..

Based on this, FAR probably doesn’t work on processing a new batch of licence applications each week. ... or his is held up for some other reason.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 27 Aug 2019, 8:33 am

Licence applied: 28/4/19
Licence issued: 23/7/19
PTA applied: 29/7/19
PTA issued: 27/8/19
PTA arrived: 3/9/19
Last edited by razor222 on 04 Sep 2019, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 27 Aug 2019, 6:15 pm

razor222 wrote:Licence application: 28/4/19
Now to await its arrival in the mail.

Hopefully you are luckier than my son. 3 weeks have elapsed since my son's permit was approved and mailed. They won't re-issue until exactly 4 weeks have passed. So I get to wait another week for something that has clearly been lost in the mail to ask them to re-issue. Knowing my luck it will be another 4 weeks again for the repost.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 29 Aug 2019, 8:16 pm

ckraus wrote:
Hopefully you are luckier than my son. 3 weeks have elapsed since my son's permit was approved and mailed. They won't re-issue until exactly 4 weeks have passed. So I get to wait another week for something that has clearly been lost in the mail to ask them to re-issue. Knowing my luck it will be another 4 weeks again for the repost.

Ah, that sucks!! Such ridiculous rules, not to mention shoddy post system.
Last edited by razor222 on 04 Sep 2019, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 31 Aug 2019, 5:43 am

New application sent 29/05/19
Status changed this morning (31/08/19) to NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 03 Sep 2019, 7:21 pm

I put an application in on 20/8/19.

I haven't yet received a confirmation email.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 05 Sep 2019, 10:54 am

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:I put an application in on 20/8/19.

I haven't yet received a confirmation email.

Get ready for the wait...It'll take them about a month to put your application in the system and then you'll get your letter with your licence number assuming you don't get immediately knocked back for previous shenanigans. Then you will be up for about 2-3 months before anything else happens. You might get a shorter wait time for a cat A only application but they apparently are being more cautious with the checks for cat B and upwards. My cat A and B app has not had a status change in what will be 2 whole months.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 06 Sep 2019, 11:15 am

Application in 20/8/19
Letter of receipt of application with license number for tracking received 3/9/19
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 06 Sep 2019, 1:39 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:Application in 20/8/19
Letter of receipt of application with license number for tracking received 3/9/19

That first part was quick, now see how long the rest takes. I think they have a tracker on the tracker and every time you hit the link they add another weeks delay, I probably wont see mine approved till I'm 112 years old.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 06 Sep 2019, 6:32 pm

Category A & B licence application received (paper version): 29/5/19
Acknowledgement letter with interim license number received: 26/6/19
Online status changed to referred to Service NSW for photo: 31/8/19
Phone call from firearms advising status changed: 4/9/19
Letter arrived advising to go to Service NSW for photo: 6/9/19

.... 100 days and counting.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 06 Sep 2019, 6:46 pm

Applying for a cat H, no other license.
Joined Pistol club and did pistol safe handling course
Online application submitted 25/7/19
Letter received with license number and acknowledging application dated 31/7//19
Now the waiting continues
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 08 Sep 2019, 10:04 am

My application date 26/06/2019

Still waiting to see status change on the system.
Is there any applicant got Service NSW referral around the date?
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws