NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Zeju » 26 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
rookie wrote:So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
  • +5 days receive photo licence
  • +3 days for online status to change to "VALID"
  • +1 day to allow computers to sync and allow PTA to be submitted
Cheers,
Mick

You're batting 1000 so far Mick. My photo advice arrived yesterday (6 days later as predicted)
Done the thing at the RTA this morning so it looks like 8 or so more days before everything's fully in place.

I'm curious, did they give you a document or anything to serve as your license while you wait for your actual card? Some people say they do, some don't.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 26 Feb 2019, 10:02 pm

Zeju wrote:I'm curious, did they give you a document or anything to serve as your license while you wait for your actual card? Some people say they do, some don't.

Nope. Nothin' but a "should be in you mailbox in 5 to 10 working days".
Given the registry website still says "not authorised for firearms" (mind you it has only been about 5hrs since I had the photo advice processed) I'm guessing I'm still in P650 territory til the card comes in.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 27 Feb 2019, 8:45 am

Thanks GojiraSteve,

GojiraSteve wrote:You're batting 1000 so far Mick. My photo advice arrived yesterday (6 days later as predicted)
Done the thing at the RTA this morning so it looks like 8 or so more days before everything's fully in place.

Good to hear you blokes are progressing and FAR sound like they're getting on top of things :thumbsup: - makes it easier when you sorta know the more realistic waiting times.

It's a good feeling once you get the photo licence (5 more days 8-)) regardless of how long they make you wait for the servers to sync up afterwards ...

You can shoulder rifles at the gun store and can always hire a gun at the shooting range and get your skills up during the wait for the PTAs to come through, so it's not a bad wait.
  • At Cecil Park (SISC) you had to do a "Try and Shoot $$$" and couldn't just do a P650 with a licensed friend
  • At Silverdale, you could go with a licensed mate and shoot with just a P650
Just updating the cheat sheet - this being for (let's say) "Sydney Metro":

When status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW":
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
  • +5 days receive photo licence
  • +3 days for online status to change to "VALID"
  • +1 day to allow computers to sync and allow PTA to be submitted
Submit new PTA
  • +30 days for first PTAs to be approved (Cat A and B) - I hear Cat H can be 6 weeks
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail :unknown:

I'm up to the last step ... waiting :shock:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 01 Mar 2019, 12:47 pm

+5 days for the letter to show, waiting with 9000 other folks at the RMS now to do the photo. Friday’s at the RMS, more popular than cheap steak night at the local ;)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 02 Mar 2019, 9:51 am

Mr48Volts wrote:+5 days for the letter to show, waiting with 9000 other folks at the RMS now to do the photo. Friday’s at the RMS, more popular than cheap steak night at the local ;)

On ya mate, did mine Tuesday, FAR marked it as Valid yesterday. Still waiting on the card though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pyroteq » 02 Mar 2019, 9:21 pm

Definitely some good predictions here...

Along with some of you newbies, my licence now shows as VALID on the Police NSW application checking website after getting my photo taken at Service NSW on Tuesday, but I still haven't received my card in the mail.

Like someone else my status changed to VALID on Saturday morning and I had checked on Friday night around 2am, so clearly it seems they just run a weekly batch job that pushes this out to all their systems, probably runs at 3am or something like that.

Still can't apply for the PTA yet, guessing that'll be another script that runs every night or something and pushes THOSE status changes to Service NSW system.

I can't speak for Service NSW and the FAR, but if it's anything like other government departments which I'm fairly well acquainted with they're using old as s**t technology with hundreds of band-aids attached to try and keep it all functioning with their newer systems.

As for a safe, I'm still in the market for one but I assume I can't get an inspection until I actually have a firearm registered in my name so I'll have a month to find a decent deal or just save up for one from my LGS before my PTA finally clears.

EDIT - Systems are in sync 1am Sunday, so whoever said next day for computers to sync is correct. Looks like the FAR batch job goes out Saturday morning like 3AM or something, then Service NSW gets your status from a batch job that runs around midnight or something the next night.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 05 Mar 2019, 11:06 am

OK lads .. PTAs came through yesterday .. making our estimates:
For Sydney Metro - Cat A and B application instructions and waiting time benchmarks:

Apply online for new application via ServiceNSW (approx 6 weeks):
  • Register online for a ServiceNSW account, link to NSW Police and apply for Firearms licence
  • +10 days for FAR to receive application from ServiceNSW and to acknowledge the application *** See below
  • . . . . . . . . 28 day waiting period starts from this acknowledgement date
  • +6 days to receive acknowledgement letter from FAR and be advised of your Licence number
  • . . . . . . . . You can use this Licence number to track FAR progress (status) of your application now at:
  • . . . . . . . . https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp
  • +22 days (of the 28 days) waiting period remaining - do some P650 shoots while you wait
  • +7 days to allow FAR to process the application and for your online status to change
  • . . . . . . . . this is typically early the following Saturday morning (3am?) after your 28 days expires
  • . . . . . . . . check that your online status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW"
  • . . . . . . . . Your licence will be issued from this date
  • . . . . . . . . Licence will last the number of years you applied for + 3 months (grace period for renewing)

Getting Photo licence after online FAR status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW": (approx 2 weeks)
  • +6 days to get paper notice from FAR (Murwillumbah)
  • +1 day to get to a ServiceNSW to have photo taken
  • +5 days receive photo licence from ServiceNSW (Parkes)
  • . . . . . . . . FAR online status will change to "VALID" early (3am?) on the next Saturday morning after photo is taken
  • +1 day to allow FAR/ServiceNSW computers to sync (early Sunday morning) and allow PTA to be submitted

Submit new PTA (approx 5 to 6 weeks for first PTAs):
  • +30 days for first PTAs to be approved (Cat A and B) - I hear Cat H can be 6 weeks
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail

So advice for new applicants:
  • After submitting your online application (except for an emailed receipt) you will not receive any further communication until you receive your acknowledgement letter ... this limbo / waiting time is the worst .. if you don't receive the letter in 2-3 weeks, call the NSW Firearms Registry (FAR) if you like but be prepared to wait over 30 mins on-hold
  • After the 28 day waiting period expires, there's probably no need to constantly check if your application has been "Referred to ServiceNSW" - just check the Saturday morning after your 28 day waiting period expires
  • Submit your new application early in the week (on a Saturday to Monday), so when your 28 day waiting finishes, it gives the FAR the rest of the week to process the application and get it into the next overnight Friday/Saturday server update batch

***The 10 day acknowledgement time comes from the experience of the only guy I know going through a fresh application. He had some original issue with creating his ServiceNSW account (different / shorter name appears on his licence) and that needed to be sorted. Even though he did this before submitting the application, it may have caused this time to be longer than usual :unknown:

Congrats all and happy shooting :friends:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 06 Mar 2019, 7:49 pm

rookie wrote:OK lads .. PTAs came through yesterday .. making our estimates:
For Sydney Metro - Cat A and B application instructions and waiting time benchmarks:

Apply online for new application via ServiceNSW (approx 6 weeks):
  • Register online for a ServiceNSW account, link to NSW Police and apply for Firearms licence
  • +10 days for FAR to receive application from ServiceNSW and to acknowledge the application *** See below
  • . . . . . . . . 28 day waiting period starts from this acknowledgement date
  • +6 days to receive acknowledgement letter from FAR and be advised of your Licence number
  • . . . . . . . . You can use this Licence number to track FAR progress (status) of your application now at:
  • . . . . . . . . https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp
  • +22 days (of the 28 days) waiting period remaining - do some P650 shoots while you wait
  • +7 days to allow FAR to process the application and for your online status to change
  • . . . . . . . . this is typically early the following Saturday morning (3am?) after your 28 days expires
  • . . . . . . . . check that your online status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW"
  • . . . . . . . . Your licence will be issued from this date
  • . . . . . . . . Licence will last the number of years you applied for + 3 months (grace period for renewing)

Getting Photo licence after online FAR status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW": (approx 2 weeks)
  • +6 days to get paper notice from FAR (Murwillumbah)
  • +1 day to get to a ServiceNSW to have photo taken
  • +5 days receive photo licence from ServiceNSW (Parkes)
  • . . . . . . . . FAR online status will change to "VALID" early (3am?) on the next Saturday morning after photo is taken
  • +1 day to allow FAR/ServiceNSW computers to sync (early Sunday morning) and allow PTA to be submitted

Submit new PTA (approx 5 to 6 weeks for first PTAs):
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail

So advice for new applicants:
  • After submitting your online application (except for an emailed receipt) you will not receive any further communication until you receive your acknowledgement letter ... this limbo / waiting time is the worst .. if you don't receive the letter in 2-3 weeks, call the NSW Firearms Registry (FAR) if you like but be prepared to wait over 30 mins on-hold
  • After the 28 day waiting period expires, there's probably no need to constantly check if your application has been "Referred to ServiceNSW" - just check the Saturday morning after your 28 day waiting period expires
  • Submit your new application early in the week (on a Saturday to Monday), so when your 28 day waiting finishes, it gives the FAR the rest of the week to process the application and get it into the next overnight Friday/Saturday server update batch

***The 10 day acknowledgement time comes from the experience of the only guy I know going through a fresh application. He had some original issue with creating his ServiceNSW account (different / shorter name appears on his licence) and that needed to be sorted. Even though he did this before submitting the application, it may have caused this time to be longer than usual :unknown:

Congrats all and happy shooting :friends:

I’ve work Rookie, I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday. I’ll hopefully get my PTA’s in on Sun or Mon then the final wait happens.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 07 Mar 2019, 10:22 am

Mr48Volts- I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday

Getting there Mr48Volts! good to hear it :thumbsup: - hopefully you've got it already and you can do a shoot with no P650 this weekend 8-)
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 07 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm

rookie wrote:
Mr48Volts- I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday

Getting there Mr48Volts! good to hear it :thumbsup: - hopefully you've got it already and you can do a shoot with no P650 this weekend 8-)

It just showed up, now we wait for computers to sync, off to a mates property this weekend to put a bunch of hours on my new Quad bike :-) hopefully I should be able to lodge my PTA's across the weekend.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 08 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

If the license updates are sent out at 3AM Saturday morning, I wonder if anyone is getting nervous / excited now that we have a rough idea of when they might get some news.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 08 Mar 2019, 3:33 pm

Zeju wrote:If the license updates are sent out at 3AM Saturday morning, I wonder if anyone is getting nervous / excited now that we have a rough idea of when they might get some news.

Given that my physical card has arrived. I'm just excited to be heading out to Holroyd range tonight to get behind a rifle for the first time in 9 years!!! :clap:

Less exciting is the fact that I'm back to talking myself out of checking the damn registry website every day. Only now its the phrase "PTA Application being processed by Firearms Registry" that I'm hoping will miraculously change. (even though I know full well its going nowhere for at least another three weeks) :unknown:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Mar 2019, 4:10 pm

G'day GS,
Mate, if you think trying to call the FAR is disheartening, I have been trying to contact Cvnterlink for the last 2 days to change some details they insist have to be updated promptly.

I sh!t you not, 87 unsuccessful attempts in 2 days. The only time I did get through was to a computer that asked for a pin I didn't have, it told me to get a pin and call back, then hung up on me.
Didn't elaborate on how, I guess I have to ring to get one, as their website asks for the same thing.
If ever there was a system specifically designed to deliberately piss away your time it's Cvnterlink.
Compared to this cock show, Firearms Registry is a paragon of efficiency.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hotdog69 » 09 Mar 2019, 3:01 pm

:welcome:
GojiraSteve wrote:Does anyone have any look-in on scanning timeframes?
I sent my app forms in by snail mail 19days ago (I know, I know, should've shelled out for registered/express post) and they're still not showing as received meaning they haven't even been scanned by the mailroom yet.
They couldn't possibly be THAT slow could they?

:welcome: I applied for A/B licence on 17 of May 2018 now it’s march 2019 still waiting when I ring up licencing they just say
They have a back log
Hotdog69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hotdog69 » 09 Mar 2019, 3:23 pm

:drinks: to add to this and their is nothing we the people can do about it
little Johnny to our rights away in a matter of weeks for no other reason but to disarm the law abiding people
Gaznazdiak wrote:That's it in a nutshell PCH.
The rules are set up to make things as discouraging as possible and I'd bet both my plums the staff are told to drag their feet in every way possible.

Both sides want us totally disarmed but both are too duplicitous to admit it.

As seen with the Tasmanian election, they will make promises they have not the slightest intention of keeping, then blame public backlash for reneging.

They're all cunning stunts.
Hotdog69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 09 Mar 2019, 9:36 pm

For what it worth: applied on 2 Feb 2019 via service.nsw, got acknowledged on Feb 13, today (9/03) the status has changed to "referred for the issue". TBH I did have the A/B before several years ago but got it to lapse going overseas, maybe this has something to do with the speed. I'd say its a pretty good job for the FAR and police.
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 10 Mar 2019, 11:08 am

FAR/RMS updated this morning, lodged my PTA’s online this morning. Now the final wait begins.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 15 Mar 2019, 3:23 pm

If you haven't heard, there's a massive shooting in Christchurch. I don't know if this event will trigger any further delay. It's a crazy world as it is now. I'm 2 and a half weeks into my PTA application. Will keep you posted.

RIP to the fallen.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 15 Mar 2019, 6:59 pm

lionet wrote:If you haven't heard, there's a massive shooting in Christchurch. I don't know if this event will trigger any further delay. It's a crazy world as it is now. I'm 2 and a half weeks into my PTA application. Will keep you posted.

RIP to the fallen.

A horrible story to come out of NZ but surely it won’t have any effect on our process here so soon. It will certainly give the Anti’s more fodder, but as it didn’t happen on our shores you’d think it wouldn’t effect us. Thoughts to those families affected by this tragedy.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 21 Mar 2019, 8:30 am

98 days, getting closer to the four month average the other boys have been having.

At least there's that silver lining. Hey, maybe I'll crack five! :P
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 21 Mar 2019, 3:20 pm

cruncher wrote:For what it worth: applied on 2 Feb 2019 via service.nsw, got acknowledged on Feb 13, today (9/03) the status has changed to "referred for the issue". TBH I did have the A/B before several years ago but got it to lapse going overseas, maybe this has something to do with the speed. I'd say its a pretty good job for the FAR and police.

Update: Received photo advice on Friday 15 March, went to RMS and took a photo the same day. FAR online status changed to "VALID" on Tuesday morning, and after 12am ServiceNSW synced and allowed me to place a PTA request. Physical card arrived today (Thursday 21 March).
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 22 Mar 2019, 8:01 am

cruncher wrote:Update: Received photo advice on Friday 15 March, went to RMS and took a photo the same day. FAR online status changed to "VALID" on Tuesday morning, and after 12am ServiceNSW synced and allowed me to place a PTA request. Physical card arrived today (Thursday 21 March).

Congratulations cruncher :thumbsup:
Look forward to hearing how your shooting goes!

Thanks for that feedback. Seems we go and try and map out the actual timelines and the FAR gets more efficient on us :roll:

My mate who is waiting was probably supposed to get his “referred to service nsw” status changed last Saturday but missed out. We’re hoping it will change overnight. Wonder if they changed anything thing last weekend :unknown:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 22 Mar 2019, 3:09 pm

Who knows, I forgot about the Saturday 3AM golden hour and you just reminded me. Doh. I was happy in my little bubble of ignorance!

Congrats Cruncher, who knows. Maybe they're finally getting to the end of the paper applications and it's speeding things up a little. Wishful thinking, probably. But it has to be getting thin by now.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 22 Mar 2019, 9:39 pm

Thank you @rookie and @Zeju. I now wonder if they are going to put me on 28 days PTA cooling off period. I did have two rifles before my previous license lapsed (had to transfer them to a friend), so technically this is not my first PTA.. How long do they usually sit in the "PTA Application being processed by Firearms Registry" status?
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 23 Mar 2019, 3:30 pm

Damn zeju - my mate’s application didn’t change overnight this week, so he might be facing an issue. He did online application submitted early Feb.. good luck mate, will check in next Saturday :thumbsup:

Cruncher, I put fresh PTA apps (cat A x 2, cat b x 1) on a Sunday and the Saturday after the 28 days they were approved. Received the paper forms (which you will need) the following week and I’m in Sydney metro.

Good luck guys
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 23 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

My mates license application date is 20th November and he still hasn't got his refer to RTA status. He is close to giving up. every time he calls they give him the generic "overload of applications" story. They said it could be another 6-8 weeks yet and just be patient. what a joke.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pixter » 24 Mar 2019, 5:36 pm

MrMickyD wrote:Mandatory 28 day cooling off period once they take your money, then God only knows .
Always check all your paper work over real good before you send it and dont leave anything out thats needed it just slows things up even more.
One thing being a licenced shooter in this country teaches you is patience youll need it in abundance.

I think you are referring to the Permission to Acquire for an already licensed shooter purchasing his first firearm. The OP is not asking that question. He is wondering how long he will have to wait for his licence to be approved.
Pixter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pixter » 24 Mar 2019, 6:31 pm

Here's my licence application experience: Jan 24 applied online; application received and receipted immediately; FAR portal tells me application in progress; March 20 no change in application status, send a query via online portal; March 21 receive a phone call from a processing person telling me that the application has been approved and that she will send the paperwork to the coppers for final security check. She said I should receive snail mail of police approval in a week (but do not wait longer than three weeks before calling back if it doesn't arrive because the application will lapse in four weeks of police approval and the process must start again!). On receiving the correspondence, go to the RMS to have a plastic photo gun licence processed, which should arrive in the mail within a fortnight. Then you may apply for Permission to Acquire and once received you must wait 28 days before finalising the purchase. I am not expecting to have a rifle in my hot little hands until June-July. So provided you apply online, the full waiting period is about six months. If you have applied by snail mail, that could blow out to 12 months. My advice is to apply online (it's all automated); wait six weeks; message FAR via the website asking politely for an update and expected approval time. Hopefully they will respond promptly, as they did with me.
Pixter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by multiphase » 27 Mar 2019, 9:31 am

Hi all, don’t want to let this extremely helpful thread die so thought I’d give an update to comfort those in waiting (in case you’re like me and thought the NZ tragedy may cause delays).

I’ll give a timeline below but just wanted to inform that after getting my licence recently I put two PTAs in as soon as I could (1 x rim fire and 1 x centrefire) and today marks the 30th day since the application and around 1am their status changed to PTA Issued :) Happy days :)

I’m overseas on holidays until next week but first thing I do when I get back will be organising a safe and then I’m still struggling with the decision of getting either a 22 or 6.5cm first... another thread is best for that dilemma though I guess. Anywho, here is the timeline, I should mention I applied for a paper application just over a month prior to submitting online, as after 5 or so weeks of checking the mailbox twice a day I received an email telling me to do so.

10/12: Application submitted online for A/B Target/Hunting
18/2: Online status changed to Referred to NSW Service Centre for photo
20/2: Photo advice received in mail
21/2: Photo taken at service centre
25/2: Physical licence arrived in mail
26/2: PTA system updated to allow for me to place applications
25/3: Last day of 28 day cooling off period
26/3: 11pm PTA status showing as still in progress
27/3: 1am Both PTAs showing as issued :D :D

Quick question, once I get home and install my safe, can I take the paper PTA to a LGS and walk out with my first rifle same day, or do I have another wait ahead of me while the PTA goes through final processing or something?

Cheers everyone for the updates in this thread so far and I’ll be crossing my fingers for those still waiting like I have been :)
multiphase
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 27 Mar 2019, 10:16 am

multiphase wrote:can I take the paper PTA to a LGS and walk out with my first rifle same day

Yep. That's your golden ticket.

Either bring a rifle bag/case with you or expect to buy one on the spot, and you'll be walking out with your spanky new firearm.
Last edited by GojiraSteve on 27 Mar 2019, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws