NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Mr48Volts » 12 Apr 2019, 4:56 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Well I guess we can call the process done for me!

Picked up my shiny new/old Savage Model 24 in .22 over 20g last night, and I'm off to St Mary's today for a shot.

The below is the timeline of events in this 8 month saga. (bear in mind I came in right as the online system was being implemented so I got stuck on the paper app merry-go-round...)

27/08 Requested app forms be sent out by FAR
09/10 App forms received in my mail box
Total = 44 days (for FAR to post out ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

10/10 App forms sent back
02/11 App marked as received - with an effective date of 15/10
Total = 24 days (to scan ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

15/10 App marked as received
26/02 Licence approved
Total = 124 days

01/03 PTA lodged
31/03 PTA issued
Total = 30 days (given there was a mandatory 28 day waiting period I was pretty impressed with this step)

08/04 PTA arrives in my mailbox
11/04 Sweet little rimfire/shottie combo gun collected from LGS!!!

All up, from first contact with FAR to actually taking possession of my firearm we have a total of 228 days, or 7 months 16 days.

Well done mate bloody awesome to hear. I thought my PTA’s might come today in the mail but alas another hurdle of disappointment in this journey to owning firearms. I’m booked to go away next weekend if the don’t turn up by Thursday I’ll be like Malcolm Turnbull when he got booted lol but given everyone’s timeline I’d be surprised if they are t here by Tuesday at the latest.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 15 Apr 2019, 7:03 am

Glad to hear everyone is making progress!

I'm at a colourful 122 days now, still listed as 'New Application in Progress'.

13 Dec 2018 is the application date. I can only hope that the good news for everyone else translates to some sort of progress here, as well!
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rob4557 » 16 Apr 2019, 9:01 am

Hi All,

First time poster so if it’s in the wrong spot my apologies.
My AB license was up for renewal. I sent my online reapplication in for my AB and it was received by FAR, processed in a short period of time and I received my photo advice letter in the mail yesterday. That process from online application to letter in my hands took 15 days.
As part of the process I made a first time application to add Cat D to my license. I did that process on line also and at the same time as I renewed my Cat AB lic. As part of the Cat D application I answered their questions, submitted my ABN, letter from my registered Tax agent indicating the ABN was for a pest control business, copies of 4 pest control contracts I have (I have since received 3 more back from clients that I haven’t submitted).
I live in rural/remote Nsw, legitimately shoot vertebrate pest animals for various people (mainly pigs, roos and dogs) and wanted to turn it into a side line business. Since my original AB license only had recreational hunting and vermin control as genuine reasons my license doesn’t allow me to provide a service and charge for it. To do so would be a breach of licence conditions and the FAR have confirmed this over the phone.
My questions are-
1. How long does adding a Category (D) and Genuine Reason (VPAC- Contract Shooter) take?
2. Should I send copies of the additional pest control contracts to the FAR to demonstrate further I have a legitimate business opportunity?
3. Is there anything else I should be doing to help facilitate my application?

Sorry for the long post, I was trying to make sure you had the background information.
Thanks for any help or guidance.

Regards,

Rob
Rob4557
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 16 Apr 2019, 2:53 pm

PTA’s arrived today, the process from the 1st time I asked for the application was 246 days. 169 days from the lodging of my paperwork
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 29 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

selaga wrote:I rang the SSAA (NSW) and got the approval number also asked them to publish it on their website.

Other NSW SSAA branches have it on their website like Mudgee, etc.

It is a 9 digit number.

For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

The hunting club number for NSW01 (Sydney branch) is 409 053 360
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 06 May 2019, 11:25 am

Hi Guys,

I had some Issues finding the 9 digit Hunting approval number for the orange SSAA. eventually i called them and found out that it was 409 051 057.

just thought i would add it somewhere incase somebody else needed it.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 09 May 2019, 8:33 pm

Good on ya Plinker.

Pretty sure when I did my application I asked around and I was told that you just need the letter / card from SSAA showing that you're a member and of what branch. I don't recall the exact wording on the form, but it says something like "proof of club membership OR club official confirmation" or something similar. For those who the former option is a bit of a pain (and it can be), that info is useful for sure.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 10 May 2019, 6:46 pm

Just applied so be interesting to see how long the wait is going to be.

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 14 May 2019, 9:23 am

ckraus wrote:Just applied so be interesting to see how long the wait is going to be.

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.

Exactly the same dates as me ckraus, will be interesting to see if we get approved at the same time. :)
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 18 May 2019, 3:46 am

Well, 5 months and 6 days and finally Referred to Service NSW.

They certainly make you wait for it. :D
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 19 May 2019, 7:56 am

Zeju wrote:Well, 5 months and 6 days and finally Referred to Service NSW.

They certainly make you wait for it. :D

Well done mate. Now the paper and PTA wait.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 28 May 2019, 12:39 am

13th October 2018 - Went through FAR website to get Application forms sent out.

16th November 2018 - Sent for forms again as they still hadn't shown up and had been less than helfpul. Called them as well to make sure.

4th December 2018 - Forms arrived, filled out and sent away.

13th December 2018 - Acknowledgement of application received.

18th May 2019 - Referred to Service NSW for Issue

24th May 2019 - Photo Advice Received. Photo taken and license paid same day.

30th May 2019 - License Received. Just waiting for the systems to update now.

My current timeline. I'm expecting my license in the mail today or tomorrow, but I have no idea when I'll be able to put in for a PTA. One of the reasons I believe my application took so long is that it was one of the last paper applications to go though, I'm quite sure. So for anyone just doing theirs now, don't worry. It shouldn't take five months.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Jun 2019, 7:10 pm

Great to hear Zeju!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fiddism90 » 07 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

Looks like the system is speeding up.
I lodged my application online on 2/3/19
Marked as received immediately
Received email requesting an additional
Document on 4/6/19
After emailing through what they wanted I received a response declaring they have recommended my licence for approval, it also says a service nsw request will be generated over the weekend.

3 months and 2 days is not bad.
Fiddism90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Jun 2019, 8:34 am

Fiddism90 wrote:3 months and 2 days is not bad.

Curious what category this was Fiddism90?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fiddism90 » 20 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

rookie wrote:
Fiddism90 wrote:3 months and 2 days is not bad.

Curious what category this was Fiddism90?

A & B recreational hunting
Although I am still waiting for referral to service nsw in the mail. Stopped holding my breath.
Fiddism90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 22 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm

Man, who else could be 100% inefficient in their work and still be considered 'not bad'. 3 months and 2 days in almost 13 weeks - their published ETA is 6-8 weeks!
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:25 am

jedipimp wrote:Man, who else could be 100% inefficient in their work and still be considered 'not bad'. 3 months and 2 days in almost 13 weeks - their published ETA is 6-8 weeks!

Exactly! my application was marked as received 8 weeks ago today. I called up the FAR and the girl said I should expect to see some action before the end of this month,

Fingers crossed it is a bit quicker than 3 months, however I am not holding my breath.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 26 Jun 2019, 5:22 pm

Plinker99 wrote:.. I should expect to see some action before the end of this month

Hope that means by the end of the week for you!

My mate did his in late Feb 2019 and got referred to ServiceNSW in April 2019 (approx 6-7 weeks). Sounds like the FAR has slipped behind the timing we were seeing earlier this year ..

The semi good news is that they seem to be on-time for PTAs .. you might have that to look forward to ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 28 Jun 2019, 7:23 am

rookie wrote:
Plinker99 wrote:.. I should expect to see some action before the end of this month

Hope that means by the end of the week for you!

My mate did his in late Feb 2019 and got referred to ServiceNSW in April 2019 (approx 6-7 weeks). Sounds like the FAR has slipped behind the timing we were seeing earlier this year ..

The semi good news is that they seem to be on-time for PTAs .. you might have that to look forward to ..

Yeah end of the week would be reasonable, hope that's the case.

I've put a layby down on my first gun due to the stock running low...

I'm in week 6 now, so its daily checks of the register from now on in :)
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 28 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

Yeah lets hope so hey, haven't heard any news from Ckraus either, and his application went in on the same day as mine. I will keep you posted in any case, hopefully i get referred tomorrow morning,

I also have money down on a CZ 457 in the Boyds AT-One stock, going to put a diamondback tactical on it and use it as a little bench-rest rifle. the rifle itself wont be in the country for another few months yet anyway.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 28 Jun 2019, 11:32 pm

I'm on day 60 for a Cat A & B for target shooting. Still 'new app received, not authorised for firearms'
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 29 Jun 2019, 10:15 am

jedipimp wrote:so its daily checks of the register from now on in :)

Back near start of the year we only saw them come thru early Saturday mornings - but I know what it’s like to have to check every day - you just need to feel that punishment every morning :lol:

Plinker99 wrote:I also have money down on a CZ 457 in the Boyds AT-One stock, going to put a diamondback tactical on it and use it as a little bench-rest rifle. the rifle itself wont be in the country for another few months yet anyway.

I saw those advertised... have you looked into getting a CZ457 and AT-One stock separately later? You might just get it sooner (than towards end of year as I believe CZ452 are readily available). You get to shoot it first and see whether you need the adjustable stock ..

I got a CZ452 Varmint Heavy barrel :thumbsup: ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 01 Jul 2019, 9:00 am

razor222 wrote:I'm on day 60 for a Cat A & B for target shooting. Still 'new app received, not authorised for firearms' ..

Did you submit yours on the 29/4 razor? That's when I submitted mine. I called the FAR again on Friday and got on to another woman who said current wait times are 6-8 weeks on top of the 28 day cooling off...looks like we have a bit to go yet.

rookie wrote:have you looked into getting a CZ457 and AT-One stock separately later? You might just get it sooner (than towards end of year as I believe CZ452 are readily available). You get to shoot it first and see whether you need the adjustable stock ..

I got a CZ452 Varmint Heavy barrel :thumbsup: ..

I have thought about doing that, the only issue is that the standard Boyds stock has a plastic grip + fore-end which does not look so good. My mate has a cz 455 varmint so I know how they feel to shoulder. The wait doesn't bother me too much, I would prefer a rifle that i am happy with at the end of the day
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Jul 2019, 1:20 pm

rookie wrote:I believe CZ452 are readily available

Sorry, I meant to say I think CZ457 are readily available - I saw one last week at Horsley Park gun shop.

So u get the CZ457 you want now and shoot it .. and a boyd/chassis when they’re available.

I’m waiting on adding Target onto my rec. hunter licence ... 4 weeks in ..

I know FAR we’re doing audits of clubs a couple of months ago .. so thinking their resources are being distracted by those activities.. not sure
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 01 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

Also keep in mind Lithgow just sent out a shipment a few weeks ago. There should still be some LA101s available in most configurations. They usually vanish for months at a time because they're so popular in Australia, so worth checking them out as well. But for current iterations, it's between the T1x, CZ 457 and LA101. Just depends what you prefer. But right now everything should be in, unless it sold out faster than expected.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 01 Jul 2019, 7:27 pm

I am currently sitting at 6 weeks in NSW.... I have been meaning to ring up and check but i’d be worried they would send the application back to the start of the queue
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 02 Jul 2019, 11:19 am

rookie wrote:Sorry, I meant to say I think CZ457 are readily available - I saw one last week at Horsley Park gun shop.

So u get the CZ457 you want now and shoot it .. and a boyd/chassis when they’re available.

I may consider doing that yet, or just find one with a nice walnut stock. all depends on how long my license and PTA take unfortunately. :crazy:

rookie wrote:I’m waiting on adding Target onto my rec. hunter licence ... 4 weeks in ..

I have often wondered what the differences between a rec hunting and target licenses are? What do you benefit with a target license rather than a hunting one?

Zeju wrote:Also keep in mind Lithgow just sent out a shipment a few weeks ago. There should still be some LA101s available in most configurations. They usually vanish for months at a time because they're so popular in Australia, so worth checking them out as well. But for current iterations, it's between the T1x, CZ 457 and LA101. Just depends what you prefer. But right now everything should be in, unless it sold out faster than expected.

thanks for the heads up Zeju, will keep my eyes open for a good looking Lithgow. I agree with you regarding the T1x, CZ 457 and LA101, all seem to be great little rifles. :thumbsup:
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 02 Jul 2019, 8:55 pm

Plinker99 wrote:I have often wondered what the differences between a rec hunting and target licenses are?

What do you benefit with a target license rather than a hunting one?

For me, I enjoy shooting clays, mainly because I can do it more frequently than hunt (and hitting moving targets is top fun) .. There are a number of clay target disciplines (eg. DTL/Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc).

These days (at the venue where I shoot) they're having to crack down on what rec. hunters can do. The FAR has given them clarification / instructions that rec. hunters are really only allowed to sight-in (pattern) their shotguns at the range (or test / get familiar with different types of ammo).

Their interpretation is that a rec. hunter should NOT shoot many of these disciplines, competitions or events (that keep score) because that goes well beyond just sighting-in their firearms to get ready for a hunt.

Further, the venue needs to have range officers (safety officers) to supervise rec. hunters whilst on these "target" layouts .. so that forces me to only shoot on a particular layout, which is supervised but gets pretty busy at times.

For me, getting target on my licence is a natural next step and something I'm happy to do (except for the wait) .. it will give me the benefit of shooting the different disciplines and if one layout is busy, then I can switch to something that is less so ..

If you're already underway with your rec. hunter licence, start with that .. try out a few different things and see whether target becomes something you want to pursue :thumbsup:

At that time, look into the requirements - ie. minimum shoots as they compound. So, you might have to go on 2 hunts (to satisfy your rec. hunter reason) as well as 4 competitions (to satisfy your target licence).

Good luck with the application!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 03 Jul 2019, 8:59 pm

Plinker99 wrote:Yeah lets hope so hey, haven't heard any news from Ckraus either, and his application went in on the same day as mine. I will keep you posted in any case, hopefully i get referred tomorrow morning,

I rang last Friday and was told they just got to my file. Heard nothing since.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws