NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Beno_1986 » 11 Apr 2020, 9:19 am

Went down to my local this morning, and laid a deposit down on my rifle, just gotta wait for the pta now.
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 11 Apr 2020, 10:23 am

.22lover wrote:Just an update guys.
Checked my application this morning and it has finally been approved and refered to Service NSW...woo-hoo!!!.
I applied online on the 11th November and it just changed today the 11 April. Right on on 5 months.
Time to go drop a deposit on a Lithgow LA101 on Tuesday..

Congrats mate. Happy days. And good to know we have now progressed past the 11th November
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 11 Apr 2020, 12:38 pm

Checked my application this morning and it has finally been approved and refered to Service NSW...woo-hoo!!!.
I applied online on the 11th November and it just changed today the 11 April. Right on on 5 months.

Congratulations! All that waiting finally paid off.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by FabianAU » 11 Apr 2020, 10:23 pm

:drinks: Congrats mate, applied on the 25th of Nov so hoping ill be in the same boat as you.
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 15 Apr 2020, 9:47 am

Thought it might be of interest to see where everyone is on there wait time.

I am fairly fresh compared to others at 75 days.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 15 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

duddley75 wrote:Thought it might be of interest to see where everyone is on there wait time.

I am fairly fresh compared to others at 75 days.

I’m at 102 days so far. We’ll see how these next few weeks play out.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 15 Apr 2020, 10:16 am

120 days. (16 Dec)
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MrsAcko » 16 Apr 2020, 7:44 pm

Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 16 Apr 2020, 7:54 pm

MrsAcko wrote:Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..

NSW firearms registry have posted “business as usual” on their site and Facebook.

Everyone seems to be getting their PTAs still in normal time
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm

MrsAcko wrote:Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..

Your wrong about QLD mate.
Weapons licensing are issuing PTA as per normal. Sport Shooters with PTA issued after March 28 can not use them. Unlike WA who are rejecting everything QLD is still issuing PTA for everyone but the government is not letting sport shooters use them which effectivity makes the permit useless.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 17 Apr 2020, 8:46 am

From https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transact ... irearm-pta
"If this is your first PTA application, or you don't currently have a firearm in the category you're applying for, you will be subject to a legislated mandatory 28-day waiting period."

Nothing will happen till May, but as others said...still ticking along...slowly.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MrsAcko » 17 Apr 2020, 10:31 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Your wrong about QLD mate.
Weapons licensing are issuing PTA as per normal. Sport Shooters with PTA issued after March 28 can not use them. Unlike WA who are rejecting everything QLD is still issuing PTA for everyone but the government is not letting sport shooters use them which effectivity makes the permit useless.

Yeah sorry I was meaning are the gun shops accepting issued PTA’s from after March 28, should have specified haha I just don’t want to put a deposit on guns and have it delayed even longer than the PTA process already takes.
The gun shop I wanted to buy from is in QLD and not sure if it’s worth putting a deposit on with them or buying local for a s**t tonne more $
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 17 Apr 2020, 11:07 am

Does anyone know if they are up to December 2019 applications yet? They’re website says they’re average processing time is around 120 days for AB, but idk if it’s true.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PowPow » 17 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm

What a beautiful morning! Finally after a long wait I’ve been referred to nsw services
My application lodged 9/5/19 check this morning and good to go only took 11 months
PowPow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 17 Apr 2020, 12:34 pm

PowPow wrote:What a beautiful morning! Finally after a long wait I’ve been referred to nsw services
My application lodged 9/5/19 check this morning and good to go only took 11 months

Whoaaa, did they at least tell you why your application took so long to process!?
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PowPow » 17 Apr 2020, 1:22 pm

Whoaaa, did they at least tell you why your application took so long to process!?[/quote

Yeah had to get a medical certificate which slowed it down
PowPow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 17 Apr 2020, 6:14 pm

MrsAcko wrote:Yeah sorry I was meaning are the gun shops accepting issued PTA’s from after March 28, should have specified haha I just don’t want to put a deposit on guns and have it delayed even longer than the PTA process already takes.
The gun shop I wanted to buy from is in QLD and not sure if it’s worth putting a deposit on with them or buying local for a s**t tonne more $

They are accepting current PTA for farmers, occupational shooters and people who live on rural land but not sport shooters. Far as I am aware if you are in NSW you can still receive firearms from QLD because its a transfer out of state. They will send it to your local dealer in NSW and it is up to you to get your PTA for pick up. You should ring the dealer you want to buy from just to confirm.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FabianAU » 18 Apr 2020, 7:47 am

Hey all, just checked my license progress this morning and happy to say that my Cat A, B and probationary Cat H all have been changed to..
"NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS"

Applied for Cat H: 25 Nov.
Applied for Cat A B: 9 Dec
Happy Days :)
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 18 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm

FabianAU wrote:Hey all, just checked my license progress this morning and happy to say that my Cat A, B and probationary Cat H all have been changed to..

Congrats mate. Hopefully that means they are now into December applications
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 18 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

FabianAU wrote:Hey all, just checked my license progress this morning and happy to say that my Cat A, B and probationary Cat H all have been changed to..

Congrats. Happy shopping :D
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 20 Apr 2020, 9:35 am

Hey everyone, a few weeks back I was going over my application and sent an email to the FAR to fix up a small error on my address. They replied and said that they’ve attached my email to my application. Does anyone know if this change will delay my application or push it to the back?
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

Fulcrum wrote:Hey everyone, a few weeks back I was going over my application and sent an email to the FAR to fix up a small error on my address. They replied and said that they’ve attached my email to my application. Does anyone know if this change will delay my application or push it to the back?

I can’t imagine it would make a difference. When I spoke to them they say they are doing them in order of date received. Your date shouldn’t change. But weirder things have happened.

It looks like they have started on early December or at least very late November.

The graph shows there weren’t as many applications in December so in a perfect world December should be quicker to process.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 20 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

Thanks mate. By the looks of things, some applications are being processed out of order. Who knows the mysterious ways in Which they work :lol:
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 2:03 pm

themarksman wrote:
The graph shows there weren’t as many applications in December so in a perfect world December should be quicker to process.

Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 2:12 pm

moudzj wrote:Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/ ... earms_data
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm

themarksman wrote:Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/ ... earms_data[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks.

I was really convinced that there would have been a good spike in applications in december. Im very glad this is not the case, lol.

Hope im approved by the end of June.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

moudzj wrote:

Awesome. Thanks.

I was really convinced that there would have been a good spike in applications in december. Im very glad this is not the case, lol.

Hope im approved by the end of June.

Based on the current average I would be guessing around the 14th or July (130 days) until you get to the referred to services NSW status.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 5:51 pm

themarksman wrote:Based on the current average I would be guessing around the 14th or July (130 days) until you get to the referred to services NSW status.

Hopefully. Id definitely be happy with that.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by OldMateMatt » 21 Apr 2020, 3:53 pm

just submitted my application through service NSW and they rejected me because they're busy processing other requests. youve got to be s**ting me, its a glorified email the pricks dont even check it for another month after i send it.
OldMateMatt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 21 Apr 2020, 4:47 pm

What do you mean rejected? Rejected your application for a firearm because they are busy? That isn't legal.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws