NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by BigKev74 » 11 Jan 2020, 2:19 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:
I applied on 09th Sept, so figure I'm about a week or so behind you.
Please keep us posted as I had estimated ~21st Jan for my licence approved based on the other guys in this post.

Just got changed to "NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE" yesterday afternoon. We'll have to see how we go from here.
BigKev74
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 13 Jan 2020, 10:13 am

BigKev74 wrote:
Just got changed to "NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE" yesterday afternoon. We'll have to see how we go from here.

Great news! Did they email you, or are you just checking the Register website everyday?
I just checked and I'm still "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS".
But hopefully getting close now. Thks for the update, keep us posted with the process.
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BigKev74 » 14 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:
Great news! Did they email you, or are you just checking the Register website everyday?

It became a part of my daily routine to check it hahaha. I feel like theres something missing from my life now :crazy:
BigKev74
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 15 Jan 2020, 9:04 am

Thought I would join the long list of people checking the FAR website everyday.

Cat A&B licence expired back in 2016 when I started bow hunting. New Application submitted on Services NSW website 16-12-2019

NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

I thought I would have to sit the Safe Handling Course again but on the application when it asks you if you have ever held a NSW firearms licence it takes away the part where you upload the Safe Handling Certificate.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by PowPow » 15 Jan 2020, 10:28 am

My application is dated 22nd May 19 and still waiting....
I’m sick of checking the registry daily, so do they actually send a confirmation email when it’s approved?
PowPow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 15 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm

PowPow wrote:My application is dated 22nd May 19 and still waiting....
I’m sick of checking the registry daily, so do they actually send a confirmation email when it’s approved?

After approval you get a snail mail letter that you take to ServiceNSW to get your photo licence created. Next thing will be actually receiving the photo licence.

Good luck with it mate - hope you’re on the FAR’s back ... some have tried writing to their local MP to get FAR to write a “please explain” response letter to your concerns. Read thru some of the comments of this thread where someone has done this, as I think it will help in your case, if you haven’t received any more info regarding the delay
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 17 Jan 2020, 2:42 pm

I’d be following up. Mine took just over 4 months which appears normal.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 20 Jan 2020, 8:57 am

I'd also follow up, something appears wrong there.
I applied on 09th September and my FAR status changed to NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS on 17th January. So they are working September applications now.
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by karlissimo » 21 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

5 months for me. New application - although minors permit years ago.
Lodged online lodged 08/19 - received end of 01/2020
Say they would be up to September applications now.
karlissimo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 21 Jan 2020, 2:39 pm

karlissimo wrote:5 months for me. New application - although minors permit years ago.
Lodged online lodged 08/19 - received end of 01/2020
Say they would be up to September applications now.

Wow! I can’t believe it takes so long! Did you have to resit the safe handling course that you had already done for your minors permit?
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by karlissimo » 21 Jan 2020, 4:14 pm

Yes
karlissimo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 21 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

karlissimo wrote:Yes

Thanks. When I did my new application it asked me what my old licence number was and then it automatically took off the part where I upload my safe handling certificate. I will give them a call to clarify. I have already emailed them twice with no reply.

Edit -> just spoke to a very friendly (not) at the Firearms Registry / Services NSW. Apparently I don’t have to do the safe handling course again. And then received the don’t call is we will call you attitude.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 Jan 2020, 7:20 pm

Hi al,

Just new. I completed my firearms safety course the other day and looking to apply for a licence once I get the letter confirming the course. I am shocked to hear how long it takes to process the licence. Oh well at least I know now.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 31 Jan 2020, 3:51 pm

duddley75 wrote:Hi al,

Just new. I completed my firearms safety course the other day and looking to apply for a licence once I get the letter confirming the course. I am shocked to hear how long it takes to process the licence. Oh well at least I know now.

Yeah, I was shocked too...
FYI, this is my timeline
- 5th September - Completed the Firearm Safety Course
- 9th September - Received Certificate and applied for licence
- 19th January - Status on FAR website changed to "REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE"
- 28th January - Received letter in post box from NSW Police instructing to get a photo at any SERVICE NSW branch
- 30th January - Had photo taken at SERVICE NSW Branch
Now - Waiting for
~06th February - Licence to be mailed out
~07th February - Apply for "Permit to aquire" a firearm (PTA)
Sometime in March - PTA get approved, then hopefully head on down to the old gunshop

Expecting 7 months from go to woe, nearly eight months if you include the original booking and wait time for the Safety Course.
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 31 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm

What's weird and I've said it before is the 2 X cooling off periods. One month after you apply and the 28 days for the first PTA
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 31 Jan 2020, 8:13 pm

Roadto22LR wrote:
Yeah, I was shocked too...
FYI, this is my timeline
- 5th September - Completed the Firearm Safety Course
- 9th September - Received Certificate and applied for licence
- 19th January - Status on FAR website changed to "REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE"
- 28th January - Received letter in post box from NSW Police instructing to get a photo at any SERVICE NSW branch
- 30th January - Had photo taken at SERVICE NSW Branch
Now - Waiting for
~06th February - Licence to be mailed out
~07th February - Apply for "Permit to aquire" a firearm (PTA)
Sometime in March - PTA get approved, then hopefully head on down to the old gunshop

Expecting 7 months from go to woe, nearly eight months if you include the original booking and wait time for the Safety Course.

Thanks for the updates. I am 46 days in so far :roll: I haven't even received a letter from them yet but I use to have a firearms licence (which expired) so I have been checking the status with that number. Ahhh the waiting game :crazy:
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by FabianAU » 01 Feb 2020, 8:27 am

Applied for
Cat H/PPL: Nov 25
Cat A/B: Dec 9
Keen as
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 02 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm

Hey guys first time poster.
Disappointing to see how many people the f.a.r are leaving out to dry
My timeline so far.
20th Sept application for cat a and b
A few weeks later got letter with licence number
Early November- after checking the website many times I called the f.a.r to see if there was any issue. The response I got was "we are experiencing a high level of applications we only just started August please check the website don't call again."
15th January- with no movement I decided to ignore beryl from muwillibah's advice and called again. The response I got was we have only just started September. I wrote an email that night to which I have had no response.
Im hoping that I see my letter this month however march is looking more likely.
If my maths is right its talking them close to 4 months to look at an application. Feel.sorry for anyone who just applied look out 2021!
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 03 Feb 2020, 7:09 pm

Khalild wrote:Hey guys first time poster.
Disappointing to see how many people the f.a.r are leaving out to dry
My timeline so far.
20th Sept application for cat a and b
A few weeks later got letter with licence number
Early November- after checking the website many times I called the f.a.r to see if there was any issue. The response I got was "we are experiencing a high level of applications we only just started August please check the website don't call again."
15th January- with no movement I decided to ignore beryl from muwillibah's advice and called again. The response I got was we have only just started September. I wrote an email that night to which I have had no response.
Im hoping that I see my letter this month however march is looking more likely.
If my maths is right its talking them close to 4 months to look at an application. Feel.sorry for anyone who just applied look out 2021!

Damn that sucks. 4 1/2 months waiting so far you. Surely it would be any day now!! Fingers crossed they catch up a bit
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 05 Feb 2020, 3:17 am

I was hoping the fact that I got my safe back from the locksmith yesterday was an omen haha. Not the case unfortunately. I hope they get quicker. Realistically by the time the process is finished and i own a firearm ill almost be up for ssaa renewal.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 05 Feb 2020, 8:09 am

Khalild wrote:I was hoping the fact that I got my safe back from the locksmith yesterday was an omen haha. Not the case unfortunately. I hope they get quicker. Realistically by the time the process is finished and i own a firearm ill almost be up for ssaa renewal.

Haha. I am going to have to call them soon because my R licence is about to expire. This time I will be refusing to deal with Service NSW and want to speak to someone at the real firearms registry.

Keep us updated on your progress.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 05 Feb 2020, 12:52 pm

Yes, it's bulls**t you lose almost half a years worth of club membership(s) and r license costs.
These are real costs that we simply have to absorb because FAR is understaffed.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 05 Feb 2020, 4:43 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:Yes, it's bulls**t you lose almost half a years worth of club membership(s) and r license costs.
These are real costs that we simply have to absorb because FAR is understaffed.

It is definitely not upto scratch. I have friends who want to get there licence but have been detered by my experience. I just checked no move on the website yet !
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 08 Feb 2020, 7:26 pm

I suspect that the deterrent value plays a large part in why there are so many delays and extended processing times, FAR want to slow down the growth in shooters as much as they can. No doubt under staffing and poorly trained over worked staff is a major contributor too.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Khalild » 08 Feb 2020, 8:05 pm

rc42 wrote:I suspect that the deterrent value plays a large part in why there are so many delays and extended processing times, FAR want to slow down the growth in shooters as much as they can. No doubt under staffing and poorly trained over worked staff is a major contributor too.

I'm sure it plays a large part. Doesn't make it right if it was a private company treating paying customers like this they would be held to account.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 10 Feb 2020, 11:16 am

I managed to get FAR to respond to one of my emails. They are currently processing early October 2019 applications
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 10 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm

themarksman wrote:I managed to get FAR to respond to one of my emails. They are currently processing early October 2019 applications

If that's accurate my late september application should have been processed. It has not. Might be time for another phone call
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 12 Feb 2020, 1:32 pm

So managed to get through to the f.a.r late Sept 2019 applications are at the final stage of review so any day now..
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 12 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

Khalild wrote:So managed to get through to the f.a.r late Sept 2019 applications are at the final stage of review so any day now..

Fingers crossed for you. Someone said the website gets updated on either Saturday or Sunday morning.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 12 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

themarksman wrote:Fingers crossed for you. Someone said the website gets updated on either Saturday or Sunday morning.

Will be checking my mailbox diligently :lol: and doing my pta as i walk out of service nsw after I get the photo taken.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws