NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by djmm » 24 Jul 2021, 10:51 am

Just wondering, those who got their Cat H license in the past month or two, when you go to Gun Safe portal, does your application still say "submitted"? I got mine in June but for some reason the portal doesn't update the status of application.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lovey » 26 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

My application went in on the 10th of June and I got my photo notice today.
Lovey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ruin » 25 Aug 2021, 6:46 pm

Category a and b took 43 days from submission to receiving the photo advice letter.
I had expected it to take a lot longer with all the other duties police might have in NSW.
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 25 Aug 2021, 8:18 pm

that's fast guys over here i applied for a renewal and it took a year till i got my new licence...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Devilcv8 » 30 Aug 2021, 9:17 pm

Finally changed to referred to service nsw. Now have to wait for the letter
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by waytom » 31 Aug 2021, 7:16 pm

Hi guys, I put in for my probationary pistol licence in February, guess what, still nothing and none the wiser. I ring about once a month and get the same old story, "we have your application, everything is in order but can't say when it will be through, just keep checking the website."
As if that is not bad enough a fellow who joined the club the same time as me has had his licence for over 3 months now.
It goes without say i'm very diappointed with the system. If this was a private enterprise they would close down in a short time. the only thing left to do (actually there is nothing I can do) is "keep checking the website" and when it fainally comes through I have to wait another 6 months before I can get a PTA.
Hang in there everyone, thats really all we can do. Cheers Wayne.
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 07 Sep 2021, 6:33 pm

Letter arrived yesterday and today I went to service nsw. Photo done. Now to wait for the license to arrive.

The licensing process is a crap shoot. My ppl took around 6 months, the full license cat h has taken 10 months so far. Pretty much all you can do is follow up with a phone call after a few months and keep calling every month or so. The website only gets updated on saturday, so check it once a week. Keep an eye on your email as any issues will result in an email only.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bergararse » 10 Sep 2021, 12:51 pm

First Post.

After being out of the game for a few years I re-applied for my licence. Took around 40 days to received my Photograph Advice letter.

Just as a heads up, at the moment if you do try and get your photo taken at the RTA a Firearms Licence is not classified as an essential service so you will be turned away at the door. They cannot however tell you when it will be OK to come back, although I am thinking your Due By date would be a good indicator as they'd surely have to let you in before it expires.

Just thought I'd mention it to save anyone the drive.
Bergararse
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 13 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

Bergararse wrote:First Post.

Just as a heads up, at the moment if you do try and get your photo taken at the RTA a Firearms Licence is not classified as an essential service so you will be turned away at the door. They cannot however tell you when it will be OK to come back, although I am thinking your Due By date would be a good indicator as they'd surely have to let you in before it expires.

Id suggest you take a drive again. I had my photo taken for my cat H license last week. Bozo at the door told me i had to wait, young lady came and asked what i was there for, i just said license. Straight to counter and handed letter over, tappity tap tap, sign here, sit there for photo, mask off, that'll be $100. All done
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Marzy » 14 Sep 2021, 4:19 pm

Hey all, I'm just after some advice on what to do as I applied for my Cat A and B on 15/10/2020 As of tomorrow 11 months...
Already Purchased a $1400 safe and it's getting a little frustrating it's just sitting there with no use ( other than to look pretty ).
Do i call and enquire or will that just move me back further?
Marzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 15 Sep 2021, 7:09 am

Marzy wrote:Hey all, I'm just after some advice on what to do as I applied for my Cat A and B on 15/10/2020 As of tomorrow 11 months...
Already Purchased a $1400 safe and it's getting a little frustrating it's just sitting there with no use ( other than to look pretty ).
Do i call and enquire or will that just move me back further?

Call them. I missed an email asking for further info 2 months after i applied last december. When i called months later they told me what was required and a couple of months later i finally moved to referred to service nsw for issue. Just waiting for the card now.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Marzy » 15 Sep 2021, 1:45 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:
Marzy wrote:Hey all, I'm just after some advice on what to do as I applied for my Cat A and B on 15/10/2020 As of tomorrow 11 months...
Do I call and enquire or will that just move me back further?

Call them. I missed an email asking for further info 2 months after I applied last December. When I called months later they told me what was required and a couple of months later I finally moved to refer to service NSW for issue. Just waiting for the card now.

Just got off the phone with them not waiting on anything just have a high volume of applicants at the moment... Strange being that people have applied after I have and got their license sooner than I have... :( Guess ill be paying a 3rd Year gun club membership for no reason :roll:
Marzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bergararse » 25 Sep 2021, 10:00 am

Devilcv8 wrote:

Id suggest you take a drive again. I had my photo taken for my cat H license last week. Bozo at the door told me i had to wait, young lady came and asked what i was there for, i just said license. Straight to counter and handed letter over, tappity tap tap, sign here, sit there for photo, mask off, that'll be $100. All done

Is yours inside the 4 week expiry period? I read some more and it says if the Expiry is inside 4 weeks they will class it as essential. Although the Police NSW website says due to it being a legal requirement it is considered an essential service irrespective of when it expires.

So I will wait until next week and try again, at least I know I am inside the 4 week buffer then, I'll take a print out of the website advisory.
Bergararse
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 28 Sep 2021, 9:14 pm

Bergararse wrote:
Devilcv8 wrote:

Is yours inside the 4 week expiry period? I read some more and it says if the Expiry is inside 4 weeks they will class it as essential. Although the Police NSW website says due to it being a legal requirement it is considered an essential service irrespective of when it expires.

So I will wait until next week and try again, at least I know I am inside the 4 week buffer then, I'll take a print out of the website advisory.

My ppl had expired in january but the letter referring you to service NSW is only valid for 30 days anyway.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Briza » 12 Oct 2021, 11:48 am

Look's like it will be a little longer wait for those waiting.

My understanding is the backlog is for those who applied before "gunsafe" was implimented in Febuary and there is no backlog for applications since being implimented.
2700 license applications and 500 renewals, renewals should be completed within a month or so and new applications before the end of the year.

edit* video is back up https://fb.watch/8AJ-YeEGM2/
Briza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Slackass1985 » 14 Oct 2021, 10:53 am

New application, done on the 11/11/2020 got my photo advice letter yesterday and went to service NSW.
Guy at work did his a week later with a bunch of his mates and they all got theirs about a week before me. So 11 months for me.
Slackass1985
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Briza » 14 Oct 2021, 6:42 pm

Slackass1985 wrote:New application, done on the 11/11/2020 got my photo advice letter yesterday and went to service NSW.
Guy at work did his a week later with a bunch of his mates and they all got theirs about a week before me. So 11 months for me.

good to hear mate!
Briza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 24 Oct 2021, 9:23 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:9 months 20 days and counting still not authorized

9 months and 9 days.....and despairing

So applied in March 2020 - wrote to the relevant police address with a long-winded correspondence, noting their non-action could be a deemed refusal to issue and give a right of appeal, signed up to the SSAA advocacy, and FINALLY over a year and a half later had my photo taken yesterday! Phew!!!
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Oct 2021, 6:16 am

Unfortunately, it appears that FAR is still a basket case. Not good enough in this day and age of technology etc.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 25 Oct 2021, 9:39 am

Bugman wrote:Unfortunately, it appears that FAR is still a basket case. Not good enough in this day and age of technology etc.

Yes-kinda' ridiculous!

Anyone able to confirm I can lodge a PTA in between photo and physical licence receipt, please?
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Oct 2021, 12:52 pm

I believe that you must have your licence number, which has to be detailed on your PTA application. Just be patient. The full licence kit will be arriving soon seeing as you have your picture done. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 25 Oct 2021, 1:13 pm

Bugman wrote:I believe that you must have your licence number, which has to be detailed on your PTA application. Just be patient. The full licence kit will be arriving soon seeing as you have your picture done. :)

Hmmm - I do have a licence number of the photo advice - and patience, I've been soooo patient!!! (kinda').

thanks!
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Oct 2021, 1:38 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:
Bugman wrote:I believe that you must have your licence number, which has to be detailed on your PTA application. Just be patient. The full licence kit will be arriving soon seeing as you have your picture done. :)

Hmmm - I do have a licence number of the photo advice - and patience, I've been soooo patient!!! (kinda').

thanks!

If you have your licence number, then apply for the PTA. Let us know how you get on.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 25 Oct 2021, 2:57 pm

Bugman wrote:
Dirk Diggler wrote:

thanks!

If you have your licence number, then apply for the PTA. Let us know how you get on.

"You are unable to submit your application at this time' - still some boxes to be ticked......
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm

Well, there you have it. Damn boxes! Damn ticks! ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Briza » 26 Oct 2021, 1:15 pm

Was told via email that my application was approved on the 19th, Still saying submitted on gunsafe and haven't recieved photo letter as yet.
I'm not the most patient bloke at the best of times so this is certainly testing :)
Briza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 27 Nov 2021, 2:13 pm

Application submitted 19/10/2021 and I got my photo letter on 26/11/2021. Not too bad
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 24 Dec 2021, 3:55 pm

Has anyone received an approved or rejected letter via registered mail lately.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 26 Dec 2021, 10:38 am

The photo letters for my wife and I arrived normal post about a week after the posted date. Mine on 26/11 and hers a week later
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 05 Jan 2022, 11:27 am

I applied for a PPL on 9 December 2020, and Category A and B on 3 March 2021. It's the beginning of 2022 and I'm still waiting for the Registry to make a decision.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws