NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by firstguns » 08 Oct 2019, 11:09 am

Applied online 10 July for a transfer of an interstate license. Like a mug, I did the safety course and organised my license in another state, but didn't organise a PTA there, so arrived in NSW and had to go through the whole waiting period again. So applied online 10 July for a 'new license'. Still waiting. Email FAR last week asking about wait times, and was told my application was with the adjudication team who were experiencing longer than usual wait times. Apparently it's due to high volumes of applicants.

After that, I'll have to wait for a PTA... Here's hoping I'm shooting before Christmas.

The upside is the longer this takes, the more I'm saving, so by year's end I should have all of the gear, even if I've still got no idea.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 11 Oct 2019, 8:41 am

Update;

Category A & B licence application received (paper version): 29/5/19
Acknowledgement letter with interim license number received: 26/6/19
Online status changed to referred to Service NSW for photo: 31/8/19
Phone call from firearms advising status changed: 4/9/19
Letter arrived advising to go to Service NSW for photo: 6/9/19
Went into Service NSW and handed them the letter and paid for 5 years 7/9/19
Online status changed to Valid 10/9/19
Applied for PTA on 11/09/19
License arrived in the mail on 13/09/19
PTA listed on the FAR website on 17/09/19 with an application date of 11/09/19
PTA status updated on the 10/10/19 with an Issued date of 11/10/19

108 days (approx 16 weeks) from license application to plastic arriving in the mail.
29 days for PTA to be issued
1 day so far ..... waiting for paper PTA in the mail
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 15 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm

Online application made 6/7/2019
Status changed 5/10/2019
Photo advice letter arrived 14/10/2019
Attended nsw services for photo 15/10/2019
Waiting to apply for pta.
Travel back in time a bit.......
Around 1/8/2019 safe arrived
Around 15/8/2019 scope arrived , followed by rings.
Got a bit antsy and put deposit on rifle 30/9/2019
08/10/2019 Got all excited when status changed, rifle, Hoppes cleaning stuff, bag of patches, 800 rounds paid for waiting at local gun shop for PTA to arrive.
Just realised I need a sling....and more bullets.

Edit: got a sling....and more ammo waiting with the rifle to be picked up when pta arrives. I now have a selection of CCI mini mags, standards and subs, Winchester powerpoints and federal standards.

Edit: 24/10/2019 applied for PTA
Edit: 21/11/2019 Called NSWFAR website shows PTA status changed to valid. Still waiting for licence. 141 days and counting.
Edit: second photo advice letter issued 9/12/2019, it arrived on the 16l12/2019 or so.
Photo licence FINALLY arrived on 27/12/2019
Last edited by Ricochet on 29 Dec 2019, 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 16 Oct 2019, 4:36 pm

PTA arrived in the mail today. 141 days start to end.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 19 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

So I've been referred to service NSW for the photo. I've already paid (submitted application online). Given this, can I apply for a PTA now, to set the 28 day wait off? Or does this have to wait til after I've attended service NSW and had my photo taken? Won't be able to get there til next weekend, and want to get things moving quicker.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 19 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm

firstguns wrote:Given this, can I apply for a PTA now, to set the 28 day wait off? Or does this have to wait til after I've attended service NSW and had my photo taken?

Afraid you’ll have to wait till you get your photo license issued. You’ll find once you attend a few days later it will appear valid on FAR website. Once this happens it still takes about 24 hours for the ServiceNSW website to recognise the license number in order to submit the PTA.

Nothing is simple :-)
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 20 Oct 2019, 6:41 am

Nothing is simple

Now that's the truth.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 21 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

firstguns wrote:? Won't be able to get there til next weekend, and want to get things moving quicker.

I’d suggest getting there sooner if you want to move things along. As soon as I get the referred to service nsw letter I will be there the next day getting my photo done.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 22 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

It's a joke!..
I received my firearms license card from Service NSW last Wednesday 16th Oct.
The status on the online public registry is still '...not authorized for firearms' and can not put a PTA application.
Emailed them twice but no response.
Called firearms registry department yesterday. Lady was very kind and checked the system for the issue was;
whoever print my license card at Service NSW printing department forgot to click the 'posted out box' on the computer that turns the license status 'valid'.

She suggested me to visit Service NSW and also she opened a case to solve the problem.
I visited Service NSW and spent 40mins with them but all the people at the center were clueless.

I called firearms registry back, luckily same lady answered the phone. Result is; I have to wait 10 MORE days (on top of 3.5 months) for them to sort out the issue.

It's really frustrating.
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 23 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm

After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status so i could get started on my pta, got told i had to wait until the licence arrived and they automatically change it. I havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.
Last edited by Ricochet on 23 Oct 2019, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 23 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Ricochet wrote:After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status do i voild get stsrted on my pta, got told i had to wait until ithe licence arrived and they automatically change it. Havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.

Give it 24 to 48 hrs for Service NSW and NSW Police to get their data sync'd up, you'll be able to apply after that.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 23 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm

mikejay wrote:
Ricochet wrote:After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status do i voild get stsrted on my pta, got told i had to wait until ithe licence arrived and they automatically change it. Havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.

Give it 24 to 48 hrs for Service NSW and NSW Police to get their data sync'd up, you'll be able to apply after that.

Dammit, been waiting nearly 4 months already.
Typed that last bit in a hurry, I was getting prodded by the missus to go do something. Just did an edit and cleaned up my sperring mistakes.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 23 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:
firstguns wrote:? Won't be able to get there til next weekend, and want to get things moving quicker.

I’d suggest getting there sooner if you want to move things along. As soon as I get the referred to service nsw letter I will be there the next day getting my photo done.

Unfortunately not an option for me - I work across the border, and am gone from before opening to after closing every day. It'll have to be first thing on Saturday, I'll be there as the doors open.

Tried calling serviceNSW today to ask about the letter that I still haven't received - do I actually need it in order to get the license photo taken, or is it an unnecessary information letter?
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 24 Oct 2019, 1:45 am

Ayasi wrote:It's a joke!..
I received my firearms license card from Service NSW last Wednesday 16th Oct.
The status on the online public registry is still '...not authorized for firearms' and can not put a PTA application.
Emailed them twice but no response.
Called firearms registry department yesterday. Lady was very kind and checked the system for the issue was;
whoever print my license card at Service NSW printing department forgot to click the 'posted out box' on the computer that turns the license status 'valid'.

She suggested me to visit Service NSW and also she opened a case to solve the problem.
I visited Service NSW and spent 40mins with them but all the people at the center were clueless.

I called firearms registry back, luckily same lady answered the phone. Result is; I have to wait 10 MORE days (on top of 3.5 months) for them to sort out the issue.

It's really frustrating.

After few calls and emails, finally Firearms Registry FIXED the problem and it's valid online. I was just able to put the pta application on. Now another decade waiting time starts. :crazy: :wtf:
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by webdogs » 24 Oct 2019, 6:21 am

I rang the registry a few days ago. They are processing the July applications apparently. For some reason she couldn't tell me when these would be done, even approximately. Very poor customer service.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hammar » 24 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

First Cat H PTA for a .22 applied for on Monday 2nd August. 8 Weeks still waiting this coming Monday. If what I've read from other people is true, that they don't look at your application until at least 28 days after it's made and they're taking another 6 weeks at least on top of that to approve, that is absolutely disgusting. They need to put up a warning that there is a delay when you submit an application.
Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hammar » 24 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

mikejay wrote:PTA arrived in the mail today. 141 days start to end.

Please for the love of God don't tell me it was Cat H permit.
Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 24 Oct 2019, 7:18 pm

Hammar wrote:
mikejay wrote:PTA arrived in the mail today. 141 days start to end.

Please for the love of God don't tell me it was Cat H permit.

What is a Cat H permit?

I have a Category A and B license.
It was 141 days from License application to PTA arrived.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Pinto » 24 Oct 2019, 9:49 pm

Applied for Category A and B recreational hunter license on 06/06/19.

Today was week number 20. Application still in progress. The status has never changed.

NSW FAR continue to give me the response of "higher than normal volume of applications" and they are unable to give me any further information. One lady told me the average is 6 to 8 weeks in total.
Pinto
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 25 Oct 2019, 2:47 pm

28+7 (maybe) days to go if I'm lucky. PTA lodged yesterday, showing against my licence number...nearly there.
And cat H is pistol if I remeber correctly.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 26 Oct 2019, 10:10 am

webdogs wrote:I rang the registry a few days ago. They are processing the July applications apparently. For some reason she couldn't tell me when these would be done, even approximately. Very poor customer service.

My application date is 25 July for a new cat h. Based on timeframes either today or next Saturday mine should update
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bardo » 02 Nov 2019, 5:47 am

Applied online on 19/6/19
Status changed to referred to service NSW for issue on 21/10/19
Still waiting for letter as of 2/11/19
Bardo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zxg618 » 02 Nov 2019, 8:33 pm

submitted on 27/07/2019
Fiiiiiiiinally referred to service nsw on 02/11/2019...
RPR 22LR
Tikka T3X Varmint 223
zxg618
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rifle it in » 03 Nov 2019, 7:23 pm

Hi guys! New to shooting etc. Silly question seeings how everyone asks, but just curious as to how and why my new firearms app is taking so long

17-8-2019 is the applicant date.

Could anyone shed any light on when I might get an answer back?

Thanks heaps guys
Rifle it in
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 04 Nov 2019, 5:56 pm

zxg618 wrote:submitted on 27/07/2019

Damn, applied 2 days earlier and I’m still waiting. Rang up today. They are still doing July.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zxg618 » 05 Nov 2019, 8:15 am

Devilcv8 wrote:
zxg618 wrote:submitted on 27/07/2019

Damn, applied 2 days earlier and I’m still waiting. Rang up today. They are still doing July.

maybe coz I'm applying for a very basic Cat A only license...
yours should be soon
RPR 22LR
Tikka T3X Varmint 223
zxg618
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 05 Nov 2019, 8:47 am

surely there must be something that could be done to speed up the process. Other than the mandatory waiting times it should be instant after that. We all pay enough fees, yet we are at their mercy for whenever they want to get around to it. If you call up you just get the generic “higher than normal applications”. I’m not one to rush anyone but 2 or 3 months for a PTA and 4 months for a licence is a bit excessive
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 05 Nov 2019, 12:39 pm

Rifle it in wrote:Hi guys! New to shooting etc. Silly question seeings how everyone asks, but just curious as to how and why my new firearms app is taking so long

17-8-2019 is the applicant date.

Could anyone shed any light on when I might get an answer back?

Thanks heaps guys

Three months from application to approval, then tthey stuff about for two weeks or so and send you a letter for photo advice and take a month or more to get it to you after you get pick taken. The wait on a PTA is 28 days plus office time to print it and postage.
Its around 5 months from initial application to gun in hand. The stuff around Is supposed to be a cooling off period to stop people from getting shirty and buying a gun and shooting someone. One month to 6 weeks would do it, the rest of the wait time is to try and deter people from going through the process because the dont want us having firearms in the first place. They like making us wait more than parking inspectors that enjoy the job get off on booking people.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Meman » 07 Nov 2019, 3:38 am

Hi All,
I'am new around here, but have been keeping an eye on this thread for some time.
Applied 21/07/2019 referred to NSW Services 02/11/2019. = 15 weeks. (not including firearms safety course, +2 weeks).
By my estimation it will be aprox 9 more weeks before i can collect my prize. (Guns , ammo , an stuff.) About 25+ weeks total or a little over 6 months.
Meman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 08 Nov 2019, 10:26 am

3 weeks and my licence has not turned up. I called NSWFAR and their automated system is not working, you listen to the recording hit the number and hit the next number and it tells you its not a valid option. Had to call three times and nearly have steam coming out my ears by this point. I finally get someone on the line and they tell me its been sent. I ask for a transaction number or Aus post receipt number and they tell me they don't have one. I ask them to print another card and send it and she tells me they cant and I'm going to have to wait for a photo advice letter to get ANOTHER BLOODY PHOTO TAKEN to print off the card, I ask if this process can be fast tracked and get told no and that I'll have to wait. What a bunch of useless belligerent curmudgeonly unhelpful sh!ts.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws