NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Fulcrum » 06 Apr 2020, 11:10 am

Well that explains a lot. The people getting their applications approved fast must have squeaky clean records. The rest of us will have to wait the average of 4 to 4.5 months :(
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 06 Apr 2020, 11:21 am

Fulcrum wrote:Well that explains a lot. The people getting their applications approved fast must have squeaky clean records. The rest of us will have to wait the average of 4 to 4.5 months :(

Hmm I doubt it. My record is squeaky clean and I work for a government agency that requires it to be that way.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 06 Apr 2020, 11:23 am

.22lover wrote:So I got through to the cheif supervisor at the FAR. Basically they send your application off to NSW police ( adjudication team) for background checks and to get it signed off.
If the police run your name and it comes up with no dealings with police ever...they approve it straight away. If it flags though even for something small like a driving offence or having been to court in the past even if it was 15 years ago, they then do a full in depth background check that gets looked over and signed off by a senior officer. I was told this can take months as there's so many variables.
Once the FAR send it to NSW Police they can't track it...it's just a waiting game.

Thanks for the update. All we can do is wait and keep checking in with them.

And keep regularly checking the FAR website in the hope we move to the golden “referred to Services NSW” status
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Beno_1986 » 06 Apr 2020, 2:48 pm

I went to court for low level dui bout 10 years ago, but besides the odd speeding fine nothing, and mine still took only 31 days
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by .22lover » 06 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm

I tried asking if the adjudication team could be contacted, but to no avail. Was just told to keep waiting.
I think no one will ever understand the mysterious ways of the FAR...not even their staff. Lord knows I've tried and it's just confused me more :lol:
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 06 Apr 2020, 7:32 pm

.22lover wrote:I tried asking if the adjudication team could be contacted, but to no avail. Was just told to keep waiting.
I think no one will ever understand the mysterious ways of the FAR...not even their staff. Lord knows I've tried and it's just confused me more :lol:

Haha very true !

Beno_1986 -> your application will forever be a mystery :unknown:
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 06 Apr 2020, 7:50 pm

.22lover wrote:So I got through to the cheif supervisor at the FAR. Basically they send your application off to NSW police ( adjudication team) for background checks and to get it signed off.
If the police run your name and it comes up with no dealings with police ever...they approve it straight away. If it flags though even for something small like a driving offence or having been to court in the past even if it was 15 years ago, they then do a full in depth background check that gets looked over and signed off by a senior officer. I was told this can take months as there's so many variables.
Once the FAR send it to NSW Police they can't track it...it's just a waiting game.

Seems like a bit of a cop out and a waste of police resources. You would think they would stipulate that in the application process.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 06 Apr 2020, 7:53 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:I went to court for low level dui bout 10 years ago, but besides the odd speeding fine nothing, and mine still took only 31 days
sounds like a heap of smoke and mirrors. I'm sticking to my wildcard theory :lol:
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 07 Apr 2020, 2:37 pm

Rang up the FAR, I was told they are still looking at OCT/NOV. When I mentioned that I know of someone who had there's already approved from Feb the response was some are done out of order. I was advised mine hasn't even been opened. (yes mine is only end of January, but lets just say I have nothing to worry about as far as past history, previously employed/served with NSWPF)
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 07 Apr 2020, 4:30 pm

duddley75 wrote:Rang up the FAR, I was told they are still looking at OCT/NOV. When I mentioned that I know of someone who had there's already approved from Feb the response was some are done out of order. I was advised mine hasn't even been opened. (yes mine is only end of January, but lets just say I have nothing to worry about as far as past history, previously employed/served with NSWPF)

I’d say that they’re in the end of November at the moment. I based this on the average of 4.5 to 5 months they took with previous people. I’ve got a security licence, which requires the holder to be “fit and proper” yet it made no difference in processing time.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by .22lover » 07 Apr 2020, 6:58 pm

Weirdly on the FAR portal my licence applications genuine reason changed today from REC HUNT/VERMIN CONTROL to REC HUNT- Permission to shoot.
I'm hoping this means someone has looked at my application....fingers crossed.
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 08 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm

.22lover wrote:Weirdly on the FAR portal my licence applications genuine reason changed today from REC HUNT/VERMIN CONTROL to REC HUNT- Permission to shoot.
I'm hoping this means someone has looked at my application....fingers crossed.

Good to see some movement. Hopefully this is your week. Fingers crossed.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 09 Apr 2020, 9:21 pm

Khalild wrote:Hey guys first time poster.
Disappointing to see how many people the f.a.r are leaving out to dry
My timeline so far.
20th Sept application for cat a and b
A few weeks later got letter with licence number
Early November- after checking the website many times I called the f.a.r to see if there was any issue. The response I got was "we are experiencing a high level of applications we only just started August please check the website don't call again."
15th January- with no movement I decided to ignore beryl from muwillibah's advice and called again. The response I got was we have only just started September. I wrote an email that night to which I have had no response.
Im hoping that I see my letter this month however march is looking more likely.
If my maths is right its talking them close to 4 months to look at an application. Feel.sorry for anyone who just applied look out 2021!

Happy to say my safe now stores my .22lr and over under shotgun. Hang in there guys and girls. It's worth the wait.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 10 Apr 2020, 10:25 am

They seem to be getting a bit faster processing

FE2AD648-41CE-4115-90E5-7E8575740BDE.png
FE2AD648-41CE-4115-90E5-7E8575740BDE.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4832 times
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Beno_1986 » 10 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

Bit off topic blokes, but my safe came in a week ago and I really don't want coach bolts in the walk if possible, is 10mm 90long dynabolt x4 enough in the concrete? Or do i legally have to attach to the wall aswell? Its going in my wall in closet, so wanted to just dynabolt into the floor only
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 10 Apr 2020, 2:36 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:Bit off topic blokes, but my safe came in a week ago and I really don't want coach bolts in the walk if possible, is 10mm 90long dynabolt x4 enough in the concrete? Or do i legally have to attach to the wall aswell? Its going in my wall in closet, so wanted to just dynabolt into the floor only

In new 4 bolts into the concrete is fine. I put large screws into the wall purely to seal up the holes in the back of my safe
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Beno_1986 » 10 Apr 2020, 3:22 pm

Thanks for that mate, thought as much just reading regulations and it was a bit confusing the way it was worded
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by .22lover » 11 Apr 2020, 8:48 am

Just an update guys.
Checked my application this morning and it has finally been approved and refered to Service NSW...woo-hoo!!!.
I applied online on the 11th November and it just changed today the 11 April. Right on on 5 months.
Time to go drop a deposit on a Lithgow LA101 on Tuesday..
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Beno_1986 » 11 Apr 2020, 9:19 am

Went down to my local this morning, and laid a deposit down on my rifle, just gotta wait for the pta now.
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 11 Apr 2020, 10:23 am

.22lover wrote:Just an update guys.
Checked my application this morning and it has finally been approved and refered to Service NSW...woo-hoo!!!.
I applied online on the 11th November and it just changed today the 11 April. Right on on 5 months.

Congrats mate. Happy days. And good to know we have now progressed past the 11th November
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 11 Apr 2020, 12:38 pm

Congratulations! All that waiting finally paid off.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by FabianAU » 11 Apr 2020, 10:23 pm

:drinks: Congrats mate, applied on the 25th of Nov so hoping ill be in the same boat as you.
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 15 Apr 2020, 9:47 am

Thought it might be of interest to see where everyone is on there wait time.

I am fairly fresh compared to others at 75 days.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 15 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

duddley75 wrote:Thought it might be of interest to see where everyone is on there wait time.

I am fairly fresh compared to others at 75 days.

I’m at 102 days so far. We’ll see how these next few weeks play out.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 15 Apr 2020, 10:16 am

120 days. (16 Dec)
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MrsAcko » 16 Apr 2020, 7:44 pm

Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 16 Apr 2020, 7:54 pm

MrsAcko wrote:Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..

NSW firearms registry have posted “business as usual” on their site and Facebook.

Everyone seems to be getting their PTAs still in normal time
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm

MrsAcko wrote:Bit off topic but anyone have an idea of the nsw apocalypse regulations at the moment? Waiting on a first PTA(applied 1st April) and wasn’t sure if they are still even processing them or if you can still buy guns at the moment. Heard Qld had some crazy s**t about only accepting PTA’s issued before March 28..

Your wrong about QLD mate.
Weapons licensing are issuing PTA as per normal. Sport Shooters with PTA issued after March 28 can not use them. Unlike WA who are rejecting everything QLD is still issuing PTA for everyone but the government is not letting sport shooters use them which effectivity makes the permit useless.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 17 Apr 2020, 8:46 am

From https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transact ... irearm-pta
"If this is your first PTA application, or you don't currently have a firearm in the category you're applying for, you will be subject to a legislated mandatory 28-day waiting period."

Nothing will happen till May, but as others said...still ticking along...slowly.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MrsAcko » 17 Apr 2020, 10:31 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Your wrong about QLD mate.
Weapons licensing are issuing PTA as per normal. Sport Shooters with PTA issued after March 28 can not use them. Unlike WA who are rejecting everything QLD is still issuing PTA for everyone but the government is not letting sport shooters use them which effectivity makes the permit useless.

Yeah sorry I was meaning are the gun shops accepting issued PTA’s from after March 28, should have specified haha I just don’t want to put a deposit on guns and have it delayed even longer than the PTA process already takes.
The gun shop I wanted to buy from is in QLD and not sure if it’s worth putting a deposit on with them or buying local for a s**t tonne more $
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws