NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by targetshooter900 » 13 Nov 2019, 9:30 am

Update, at 9.5 weeks for pistol PTA. Feel for you guys who can’t even get licence, you’ve got a long way to go
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zxg618 » 16 Nov 2019, 5:17 am

Update:
Cat A target
application: 27/07/2019
referred to service nsw: 02/11/2019
photo advice received: 08/11/2019
photo taken: 09/11/2019
received card: 14/11/2019
online status updated to valid: 16/11/2019

Finally it's over....
RPR 22LR
Tikka T3X Varmint 223
zxg618
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 16 Nov 2019, 11:27 am

Another month for me then, plus another month for first PTA
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 16 Nov 2019, 8:50 pm

After waiting and waiting and waiting my PTA should be approved in a week or so and possibly arrive before my licence. NSWFAR screwed up and didn't print my licence and are going to make me wait another month while they are faffing sending a second photo advice letter and make get another month while they get off their butts and get it sorted.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 25 Nov 2019, 6:12 pm

Still no photo licence and the 2nd photo advice letter has not even been sent yet as I found out after I called them again today. They said they would escalate it AGAIN. I was supposed to have received a call from them already and hadn't, not sure if it had been escalated previously, but either way nothing happened. I asked if the photo advice could be sent registered post and was told it might be possible.
I think I might have to have to start calling them every day until this gets somewhere, be all polite and friendly but I intend to take up enough of their time until they give in and get it sorted.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 25 Nov 2019, 6:21 pm

4 months and still nothing.
Applied for PPL on 25/7/19. I rang a few weeks ago and was told everything looked ok with my application, they just hadn’t got to it yet
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Nigel » 26 Nov 2019, 2:41 am

Boba22 wrote:I applied 09/01/2019. Still waiting...

I've called them literally over 10 times, emailed them 3 times. They keep saying it's due to workload. This is the last email they sent me:

"To date a decision is not yet made on your application. Once a decision has been made, you will receive notification in writing to your mailing address. Unfortunately, it is not possible to say how long until this occurs, due to staffing and workloads, it could be another few months."

Anyone else wait this long? I applied online, dunno if that affected the wait time in any way. They told me over the phone they haven't even started looking at my application.

That's BS!

I would definitely be starting the formal appeal process.

I'm fairly sure your situation would amount to 'failure to issue a licence' for the purposes of section 75 of the Firearms Act. Pursuant to that section, you are entitled to have the failure to make a decision reviewed by the Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The NSW Police Force have their own internal review process as described in this document:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

If I were you, I'd send them the email request for internal review and tell them you want it resolved within three weeks or you will be applying for NCAT review. If there's a cost involved with the NCAT process and you can't afford it, set up a GoFundMe and post the details here. I'm sure you'll get the money.

PM me if you need help drafting the internal review request.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 27 Nov 2019, 12:07 pm

Wow, i just asked the NSWFAR can i take PTA and ID and old expired lic to my local gun shop and pick up my rifle. They said yes, its at their discretion. I wanted to be doubly sure so I specifically asked can I be in possession of and use firearms and the guy said yes, i just need to be able to demonstrate via the Registry web site that my licence is valid to police if questioned. I call the gun shop and the guy says nope, they have to sight the card. I am still waiting for the NSWFAR to contact me, my issue has been escalated twice, still no action.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Nigel » 27 Nov 2019, 3:32 pm

Ricochet wrote:Wow, i just asked the NSWFAR can i take PTA and ID and old expired lic to my local gun shop and pick up my rifle. They said yes, its at their discretion. I wanted to be doubly sure so I specifically asked can I be in possession of and use firearms and the guy said yes, i just need to be able to demonstrate via the Registry web site that my licence is valid to police if questioned. I call the gun shop and the guy says nope, they have to sight the card. I am still waiting for the NSWFAR to contact me, my issue has been escalated twice, still no action.

That doesn't sound right. I've bought ammunition and used ranges with an expired licence. They just check the FAR web site. If it says "authority continues" or "valid" you're good to go. Try a different gun shop.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Roadto22LR » 28 Nov 2019, 11:40 am

Has anyone had their NSW Cat A/B licence application approved in the last week or so? I'm interested to know where they up to, are they on to August applications yet?
Sadly I applied in September so expect a couple months away for me yet.
Roadto22LR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 30 Nov 2019, 4:49 pm

Yay, finally had someone from NSWFAR contact me and they are looking into it. Someone may have already stated the fact and I missed it but it turns out the people you normally talk to when you call are just a call center that is linked to the registry and not actual registry staff.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 30 Nov 2019, 7:17 pm

Finally had my PPL that I applied for on 25/7/2019 move to NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Now to await the letter
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 01 Dec 2019, 7:47 am

I'm about a month behind you.
Probably won't be unwrapping a rifle this Christmas.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 am

Hey guys

Update on the application for your reference.
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 am

Hey guys

Update on the application for your reference;

Category A & B licence application online: 26/6/19
Online status changed to referred to Service NSW: 28/09/19
Letter arrived refer to Service NSW for photo: 10/10/19
Went into Service NSW: 11/10/19
License arrived in the mail on: 16/10/19
Weird thing happened, online status changed to valid a week after i received the ID card and gave a call them
Applied for PTA CatA&B on: 24/10/19
PTA status updated/issued online on: 23/11/19
PTA letters arrived on: 29/11/19
I picked up my rifles from layby on 30/11/19

Finally it's over.
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 10 Dec 2019, 9:58 am

Devilcv8 wrote:Finally had my PPL that I applied for on 25/7/2019 move to NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Now to await the letter

Letter arrived 9 December
Photo taken 10 December
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rp1114 » 11 Dec 2019, 7:49 pm

15 weeks and still waiting for Minors Permit still says “new application in progesss” emailed them 3 weeks ago and they just go “high work volumes could be another 3 months.
rp1114
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 13 Dec 2019, 6:20 pm

rp1114 wrote:15 weeks and still waiting for Minors Permit still says “new application in progesss” emailed them 3 weeks ago and they just go “high work volumes could be another 3 months.

I’m in the same position. When I last rang I was told there was some legal questions over the legislation that they needed to get clarified which stopped processing of minors permits. Apparently that is now resolved but they are way way behind now.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long

Post by Devilcv8 » 14 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:[Finally had my PPL that I applied for on 25/7/2019 move to NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Now to await the letter
Letter arrived 9 December
Photo taken 10 December

Online went valid today although still waiting for the physical license
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 16 Dec 2019, 5:37 pm

Photo card arrived 16 December
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 16 Dec 2019, 6:49 pm

Jealousy intensify...
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Boba22 » 19 Dec 2019, 3:55 pm

Hey, does anyone here know of a psychologist/psychiatrist based in Sydney that can do a risk assessment report for me? I finally got an answer from the firearms registry about my application and I was refused my licence due to mental health issues and in order to appeal the decision, they said I need a risk assessment report from a qualified psychologist/psychiatrist.

I went to an appointment today to do the risk assessment and had a pretty bad experience. In short, he told me he didn't like writing reports and he didn't care about my background
Boba22
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PowPow » 20 Dec 2019, 11:48 am

7months and waiting.......................... Rang and emailed multiple times

Latest response
11th November 2019 advising due to high volumes of applications being received processing times are longer than usual. We are currently processing applications dated January 2019, and your application is dated 22nd May 19.

Still waiting..... :unknown:
PowPow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lucerne » 21 Dec 2019, 2:14 am

I submitted my application on the 16th of November 2019. The application was registered as received on the online portal about 3 weeks later. I have accepted that I probably won't receive my license until well into January when I will unfortunately be away.

What I'm worried about is when will there likely be someone come to inspect my gun safe etc? Because I am away a lot I'm worried that this will just hold the process up so much longer. Is it possible to have someone else let them in to inspect the safe and ammunition storage?
Lucerne
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 21 Dec 2019, 12:11 pm

Lucerne wrote:I submitted my application on the 16th of November 2019. The application was registered as received on the online portal about 3 weeks later. I have accepted that I probably won't receive my license until well into January when I will unfortunately be away.

What I'm worried about is when will there likely be someone come to inspect my gun safe etc? Because I am away a lot I'm worried that this will just hold the process up so much longer. Is it possible to have someone else let them in to inspect the safe and ammunition storage?

I’d suggest you will be waiting until February. Mine was just over 4 months.

As for safe inspection, they are actually a firearms and storage inspection and the only one who can open the safe is someone who is licensed for all guns stored in it. All paperwork will need to be in order. Chances are you won’t be inspected for quite a while. NSW police are working down based on number of firearms owned.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 21 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm

My first inspection was 5 years after I got my licience and by that stage i had about 30 ( 24 rifles + pistols)in the safe
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 22 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

applied 22/8/19
referred to Service NSW for photo 20/12/19, hopefully the letter doesn't take too long and its a shame this week stuff like Aust Post and Service NSW might be under the pump too.

Should I lodge a PTA now through the LGS, or do I have to wait for status to show "authorised for firearms"?
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 25 Dec 2019, 12:28 pm

After my photo licence failed to turn up, I called pretend NSWFAR (nsw services that take calls for NSWFAR), was told my licence had bot been printed and I was the victim of a systems glitch and that a second photo advice letter would need to be sent, wait a while and it didn't come. I called and was told they would escalate my case and I would be contacted, call didn't come. I then started politely but firmly hassling them on a daily basis and they got someone from real NSWFAR. Found out my licence was printed and sent...to wrong address. Finally they send a second photo advice letter on the 9th of December which arrived around the 15th or 16th. When I went in to NSW sevices they checked my address, wrong one came from adress on file from a permit to move can unregistered vehicle. Got that sorted and they didn't even have to take a new photo. Now waiting for my photo licence. In the mean time I noticed all status has disappeared from the website, licence shows with application and expiert dates and pta listed but no actual status...not being processed, not valid not authorised for firearms nothing cat all under status.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 26 Dec 2019, 8:17 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:applied 22/8/19
referred to Service NSW for photo 20/12/19, hopefully the letter doesn't take too long and its a shame this week stuff like Aust Post and Service NSW might be under the pump too.

Should I lodge a PTA now through the LGS, or do I have to wait for status to show "authorised for firearms"?

Typically you gotta wait til your status turns to “valid” and even then need to give it 24 hours for the Far and ServiceNSW servers to sync up
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 26 Dec 2019, 8:19 pm

Ricochet wrote:After my photo licence failed to turn up, I called pretend NSWFAR (nsw services that take calls for NSWFAR), was told my licence had bot been printed and I was the victim of a systems glitch and that a second photo advice letter would need to be sent, wait a while and it didn't come. I called and was told they would escalate my case and I would be contacted, call didn't come. I then started politely but firmly hassling them on a daily basis and they got someone from real NSWFAR. Found out my licence was printed and sent...to wrong address. Finally they send a second photo advice letter on the 9th of December which arrived around the 15th or 16th. When I went in to NSW sevices they checked my address, wrong one came from adress on file from a permit to move can unregistered vehicle. Got that sorted and they didn't even have to take a new photo. Now waiting for my photo licence. In the mean time I noticed all status has disappeared from the website, licence shows with application and expiert dates and pta listed but no actual status...not being processed, not valid not authorised for firearms nothing cat all under status.

Geez that’s a drama - maybe they’ve given you a new licence number and cancelled the previously sent one - really only FAR would know :(
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws