NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 18 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm

FabianAU wrote:Hey all, just checked my license progress this morning and happy to say that my Cat A, B and probationary Cat H all have been changed to..
"NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS"

Applied for Cat H: 25 Nov.
Applied for Cat A B: 9 Dec
Happy Days :)

Congrats mate. Hopefully that means they are now into December applications
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 18 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

FabianAU wrote:Hey all, just checked my license progress this morning and happy to say that my Cat A, B and probationary Cat H all have been changed to..
"NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS"

Applied for Cat H: 25 Nov.
Applied for Cat A B: 9 Dec
Happy Days :)

Congrats. Happy shopping :D
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 20 Apr 2020, 9:35 am

Hey everyone, a few weeks back I was going over my application and sent an email to the FAR to fix up a small error on my address. They replied and said that they’ve attached my email to my application. Does anyone know if this change will delay my application or push it to the back?
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

Fulcrum wrote:Hey everyone, a few weeks back I was going over my application and sent an email to the FAR to fix up a small error on my address. They replied and said that they’ve attached my email to my application. Does anyone know if this change will delay my application or push it to the back?

I can’t imagine it would make a difference. When I spoke to them they say they are doing them in order of date received. Your date shouldn’t change. But weirder things have happened.

It looks like they have started on early December or at least very late November.

The graph shows there weren’t as many applications in December so in a perfect world December should be quicker to process.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 20 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

Thanks mate. By the looks of things, some applications are being processed out of order. Who knows the mysterious ways in Which they work :lol:
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 2:03 pm

themarksman wrote:
The graph shows there weren’t as many applications in December so in a perfect world December should be quicker to process.

Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 2:12 pm

moudzj wrote:Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/ ... earms_data
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm

themarksman wrote:Wondering where I could find these graphs ? I applied 06/03 and am obsessed with trying to estimate the most perfect scenario hahahah (hoping for 4 months without the 6wk PTA)

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/ ... earms_data[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks.

I was really convinced that there would have been a good spike in applications in december. Im very glad this is not the case, lol.

Hope im approved by the end of June.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 20 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

moudzj wrote:

Awesome. Thanks.

I was really convinced that there would have been a good spike in applications in december. Im very glad this is not the case, lol.

Hope im approved by the end of June.

Based on the current average I would be guessing around the 14th or July (130 days) until you get to the referred to services NSW status.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 20 Apr 2020, 5:51 pm

themarksman wrote:Based on the current average I would be guessing around the 14th or July (130 days) until you get to the referred to services NSW status.

Hopefully. Id definitely be happy with that.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by OldMateMatt » 21 Apr 2020, 3:53 pm

just submitted my application through service NSW and they rejected me because they're busy processing other requests. youve got to be s**ting me, its a glorified email the pricks dont even check it for another month after i send it.
OldMateMatt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 21 Apr 2020, 4:47 pm

What do you mean rejected? Rejected your application for a firearm because they are busy? That isn't legal.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by themarksman » 21 Apr 2020, 5:17 pm

OldMateMatt wrote:just submitted my application through service NSW and they rejected me because they're busy processing other requests. youve got to be s**ting me, its a glorified email the pricks dont even check it for another month after i send it.

WTF? How long did it take from when you pressed submit to the rejection letter?? That’s just stupid!
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by OldMateMatt » 21 Apr 2020, 5:30 pm

WTF? How long did it take from when you pressed submit to the rejection letter?? That’s just stupid![/quote]

went through on the second try. licence in 1 year here we come
OldMateMatt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 22 Apr 2020, 2:06 pm

I know if one person still waiting from March 2019 and one from 14 Oct. Getting no answers from the NSWFR. It really is just a luck of the draw waiting game
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 22 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

themarksman wrote:I know if one person still waiting from March 2019 and one from 14 Oct. Getting no answers from the NSWFR. It really is just a luck of the draw waiting game

Yikes. Do they have any past/present court battles or bad records?
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by FabianAU » 22 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm

themarksman wrote:I know if one person still waiting from March 2019 and one from 14 Oct. Getting no answers from the NSWFR. It really is just a luck of the draw waiting game

:crazy: Damn I feel sorry for them, even though my app got accepted, I wonder how long til things start opening back up. Weird times. :unknown:
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 22 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm

Fulcrum wrote:Yikes. Do they have any past/present court battles or bad records?

Not sure. But apparently they are calling regularly and not getting any answers as to why it’s taking so long.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 22 Apr 2020, 3:36 pm

You lads should move up north. From application to email approval took only 80640 minutes for mine. You guys have such a bigger population with a similar level of firearm ownership so you would think your public service would be quicker. Has it gotten slower over the years or it has always been this slow?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Fulcrum » 22 Apr 2020, 4:49 pm

themarksman wrote:Not sure. But apparently they are calling regularly and not getting any answers as to why it’s taking so long.

Even if they have had a mental illness from a while back e.g anxiety or depression, the FAR might delay or reject their applications.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 22 Apr 2020, 5:04 pm

Fulcrum wrote:Even if they have had a mental illness from a while back e.g anxiety or depression, the FAR might delay or reject their applications.

Yeah possibly. Communication isn’t their strong point.

I am going to wait until the weekend website update and then email them again to find out where they are up to.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 22 Apr 2020, 5:39 pm

Awesome. I’m sure you’ll get the status update this weekend or the next.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 24 Apr 2020, 8:34 pm

Does anyone know what month they are up to
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hammar » 25 Apr 2020, 11:44 am

Cmr83 wrote:Does anyone know what month they are up to

I'd imagine they are around mid-November. A family member finally had their licence approved 1.5 weeks ago and they applied 11th November
Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 25 Apr 2020, 3:14 pm

Definitely not the 16th of December. Another Saturday passes. 130 days and still waiting.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 25 Apr 2020, 8:34 pm

They’ve had a spike in pta applications. Maybe that’s why they’ve slowed down. I was sure they were in December by now.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Greenpyr » 25 Apr 2020, 9:41 pm

I submitted my application 11th December and my status has just changed to referred to services. Happy days.
Greenpyr
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 27 Apr 2020, 1:36 pm

Greenpyr wrote:I submitted my application 11th December and my status has just changed to referred to services. Happy days.

Nice! Congrats.

I have just emailed the firearms registry to find out their current progress. Will let everyone know when I hear back from them.

I am close to just giving it all up and stick to bow hunting and mountain biking. Cheaper to buy a new bike and less hassle. Argh.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 27 Apr 2020, 1:57 pm

bugger... my daughters due to have to change from her minors to adult license in the first week of July, don't suppose she can do the safety course and submit the paper work before her 18th birthday :crazy:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 27 Apr 2020, 5:56 pm

themarksman wrote:Nice! Congrats.

I have just emailed the firearms registry to find out their current progress. Will let everyone know when I hear back from them.

I am close to just giving it all up and stick to bow hunting and mountain biking. Cheaper to buy a new bike and less hassle. Argh.

Thanks mate. Hopefully they’re at least in mid December. The suspense is getting crazy...
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws