NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Raven » 22 Jul 2020, 10:24 am

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here, located in Northern NSW.
After reading some of the time frames some of you are experiencing I was concerned but mine is going through quite quickly.
May 11th application
July 8th referred to Service NSW
July 21st Letter for photo I.D arrived
July 22nd Photo taken and was told 1-2 weeks to receive Licence.
July 25th Status changed to Valid

Total of 75 days so far.
Last edited by Raven on 25 Jul 2020, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 23 Jul 2020, 1:14 pm

targetshooter900 wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:ANYONE ELSE HAD SOME GOOD NEWS? IM AT 137 days no referral yet!!!!

Probably will be any day now. There's no real set timeframe. Some get lucky and it's around 100 days, 150 also isn't unusual though unfortunately

Gawd - 132 days and counting! Kinda' ridiculous to be honest. :roll:
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 23 Jul 2020, 10:14 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:
targetshooter900 wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:ANYONE ELSE HAD SOME GOOD NEWS? IM AT 137 days no referral yet!!!!

Probably will be any day now. There's no real set timeframe. Some get lucky and it's around 100 days, 150 also isn't unusual though unfortunately

Gawd - 132 days and counting! Kinda' ridiculous to be honest. :roll:

143 now this sucks
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Raven » 29 Jul 2020, 12:08 pm

Licence arrived yesterday
Total of 78 Days from application until Licence in hand.
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 29 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm

Raven wrote:Licence arrived yesterday
Total of 78 Days from application until Licence in hand.

Nice work, that is pretty quick.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 03 Aug 2020, 9:40 pm

Day 154 still no joy
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 03 Aug 2020, 9:56 pm

Getting a but like the never ending story now!!
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 07 Aug 2020, 1:20 pm

Cmr83 wrote:Getting a but like the never ending story now!!

so i wrote to the registry, via their online ‘contact us’ link-received a reply 6 weeks later. a vanilla, we’re still processing, reply.

i called the registry and the nice, but robotic, person said it can take any amount of time, 6 months, a year-public safety is their primary concern and all applications were individually vetted. they weren’t able to provide any indication as to likely time frame.

so, i guess i’ll just stop checking, and sit back and just wait zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 08 Aug 2020, 7:41 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:

so i wrote to the registry, via their online ‘contact us’ link-received a reply 6 weeks later. a vanilla, we’re still processing, reply.

i called the registry and the nice, but robotic, person said it can take any amount of time, 6 months, a year-public safety is their primary concern and all applications were individually vetted. they weren’t able to provide any indication as to likely time frame.

so, i guess i’ll just stop checking, and sit back and just wait zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeh it’s a joke 12 months when you progress threw the backlog and reach the adjudication process it should be a yes or no I rang them the said my application was with the adjudication team so I guess it’s a more of the waiting game now.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 08 Aug 2020, 7:44 pm

But it’s day 159 now
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 08 Aug 2020, 7:48 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:

But let me know when you get the good news anyway cheers
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 25 Aug 2020, 11:48 am

Any good news anyone???
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dedd » 25 Aug 2020, 5:38 pm

Just got my licence the other day, took a little under 2 months. Still unacceptably slow, but much quicker than I was expecting. Maybe having a working with children check sped it up a bit?
Dedd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 25 Aug 2020, 10:25 pm

Is it really taking 150+ days to get an A/B? I have had a full Cath H for some time and am about to apply for A/B. Does holding firearms already speed up the process?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 26 Aug 2020, 7:41 am

159 days seems very strange. Mine was about 120 odd days a few months back getting it in June.

I would have thought they would have caught up somewhat since the panic applying earlier in the year.
Last edited by duddley75 on 28 Aug 2020, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 27 Aug 2020, 9:19 pm

Average processing times are trending down. At 71 days in July....

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Jul20.pdf
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 29 Aug 2020, 12:39 pm

tb65 wrote:Average processing times are trending down. At 71 days in July....

Trust me yeh some apps seem to go threw fast and they state the average processing times at arround 120 days from March to 71 days last month but I applied for cat A/B on the 2/03/2020 and my application still says new app processing not authorized. So I’m arround the 180 day mark now and the website get updated at 4 am every Saturday so I can add another 7 days minimum to that 180 before I get referred to service nsw but then again I have been checking it when I wake up every Saturday morning for the past two months expecting it to get approved.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 31 Aug 2020, 8:59 am

Cmr83 wrote:
tb65 wrote:Average processing times are trending down. At 71 days in July....

Trust me yeh some apps seem to go threw fast and they state the average processing times at arround 120 days from March to 71 days last month but I applied for cat A/B on the 2/03/2020 and my application still says new app processing not authorized. So I’m arround the 180 day mark now and the website get updated at 4 am every Saturday so I can add another 7 days minimum to that 180 before I get referred to service nsw but then again I have been checking it when I wake up every Saturday morning for the past two months expecting it to get approved.

Being an average, for sure some are being processed faster than that. In addition to the published average, they should also publish the spread for it to be a meaningful number.

I've applied for a Cat A/B and am at 35 days today. I have a totally clean history, only one traffic fine in the last 30 years, no mental health history, no marital problems, nothing. Always worked, own my own home, no financial problems, multiple university degrees and live in a high income suburb of Sydney. I think it will be interesting for many people to see how long the registry takes to approve my application.

I worked in the NSW public service for a few years early on in my career and was quite disgusted by how little everyone worked. Then I worked for Defence for 18 months and found that was far worse as it was basically ex servicemen who had retired from the services on a tax free pension and then come back to "work" for defence. I remember they worked about 3 hours a day. I couldn't handle it and left for the private sector. It's probably a little better now but I doubt anyone works hard like in the private sector. I suspect many at the Firearms Registry there are just typical useless, lazy public servants and it probably depends on which lazy useless public servant's desk your application lands.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 07 Sep 2020, 10:01 pm

Possible consequence of NSW delays could be serious.
Think that if a bloke moved from interstate within a couple of months of licence expiry ?
That bloke could end up unlicenced and suffer confiscation of all firearms and ammo, bit sad if you had expensive gear with expensive scopes, I would not bet that a copper would let you remove optics and mounts.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cmr83 » 14 Sep 2020, 12:13 am

Day 196 of application processing it’s getting to be a bit of a joke. Has any one else been approved and when did you lodge your application? I’m 02/03/2020 total joke how. An it possibly take this long some people applied months after me and got approved in 73 days. You would think if my app was not successful they would just knock me back but I can’t imagine why I meet all the required criteria for a cat AB firearm licence in NSW
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 14 Sep 2020, 7:54 am

Cmr83 wrote:Day 196 of application processing it’s getting to be a bit of a joke. Has any one else been approved and when did you lodge your application? I’m 02/03/2020 total joke how. An it possibly take this long some people applied months after me and got approved in 73 days. You would think if my app was not successful they would just knock me back but I can’t imagine why I meet all the required criteria for a cat AB firearm licence in NSW

I am guessing you have called them, 196 days is beyond a joke.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 14 Sep 2020, 8:38 am

duddley75 wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:Day 196 of application processing it’s getting to be a bit of a joke. Has any one else been approved and when did you lodge your application? I’m 02/03/2020 total joke how. An it possibly take this long some people applied months after me and got approved in 73 days. You would think if my app was not successful they would just knock me back but I can’t imagine why I meet all the required criteria for a cat AB firearm licence in NSW

Probably half the losers in the firearms registry are off on stress leave given the roasting they're getting at the inquest for their incompetence
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 14 Sep 2020, 4:29 pm

tb65 wrote:
duddley75 wrote:

What inquest was that???

Probably half the losers in the firearms registry are off on stress leave given the roasting they're getting at the inquest for their incompetence
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 14 Sep 2020, 4:54 pm

Cmr83 wrote:
tb65 wrote:
duddley75 wrote:

What inquest was that???

The inquest into how John Edwards was granted A/B/H firearms licence and was able to legally buy five guns, including two pistols, which he used to murder his teenage children in 2018. Long history of domestic violence going back decades and AVOs. He was given a "Commissioner's Permit" because of his history and the commissioner is now trying to distance himself from the incident by referring to it as a "Commander's Permit". The whole thing is a shocking example of how useless the police and firearms registry is. It's been all over the news the past week. Just google it and read up to see how useless the police and registry were.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 16 Sep 2020, 12:00 am

[/quote]

The inquest into how John Edwards was granted A/B/H firearms licence and was able to legally buy five guns, including two pistols, which he used to murder his teenage children in 2018. Long history of domestic violence going back decades and AVOs. He was given a "Commissioner's Permit" because of his history and the commissioner is now trying to distance himself from the incident by referring to it as a "Commander's Permit". The whole thing is a shocking example of how useless the police and firearms registry is. It's been all over the news the past week. Just google it and read up to see how useless the police and registry were.[/quote]
Oh yeh I read the article that pisses me off big time time guy could not even legally do his firearm training course because he had to say yes to the avo question and probably crriminal conviction question and they gave him a commissioners permit to do his training and then even approved his application after that and I’m here waiting 200 days for my application to be approved with no history of domestic violence no criminal record and I have only had 3 demerit points against my drivers licence in the last 14 years. Yeh gives me the s**ts when I read articles like that.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 16 Sep 2020, 12:32 am

I have been following this feed for ages they seem to upload all the approved application for each week to their server at 4am every Saturday so if it’s not approved when I get up on Saturday morning I’m defiantly calling them Monday will be day 203
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 16 Sep 2020, 8:38 am

Cmr83 wrote:I have been following this feed for ages they seem to upload all the approved application for each week to their server at 4am every Saturday so if it’s not approved when I get up on Saturday morning I’m defiantly calling them Monday will be day 203

If you think you have a pretty clean record and no cause for them to conduct further investigations into your background that would stretch out your application time like this, you should write to your local state MP to ask for help. My local member was very helpful in the past when I had a problem with a state government department dragging its feet and was very quick to resolve my problem, and I am a nobody to him.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MattS » 17 Sep 2020, 7:34 pm

I only just found this Forum, and this is my first post, I applied 8/12/19 and am currently on day 284 of application processing. I haven't taken any action other than to call the FAR a couple times. I have no criminal record whatsoever
MattS
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 17 Sep 2020, 10:36 pm

MattS wrote:I only just found this Forum, and this is my first post, I applied 8/12/19 and am currently on day 284 of application processing. I haven't taken any action other than to call the FAR a couple times. I have no criminal record whatsoever

No background check process can possibly take that long. That just tells me they’re doing nothing with your application. Ridiculous.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 17 Sep 2020, 11:16 pm

MattS wrote:I only just found this Forum, and this is my first post, I applied 8/12/19 and am currently on day 284 of application processing. I haven't taken any action other than to call the FAR a couple times. I have no criminal record whatsoever

Wow 284 days and here’s me complaining about waiting 200 days here stuff like that and it kind of make you think where the coppers are getting there firearm statistics from they claim they are processing the in 71 days atm. Well you post does not give me much confidence that I’m going to get approved this weekend. Well good luck mate let us know when you get the nod if you don’t mind then I know I only have 3 more months to go. That sucks looks like you just wasted a years gun club membership that’s $120 your not going to get back oh well at least you got your monthly shooter magazine for your money.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws