NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 31 Jan 2019, 12:32 pm

Hang in there Mr48Volts! .. I wonder what would happen if you lodged another application online, now? ... ever consider having two applications in play?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 Jan 2019, 2:16 pm

rookie wrote:Hang in there Mr48Volts! .. I wonder what would happen if you lodged another application online, now? ... ever consider having two applications in play?

I'm sure you were laughing when you typed that, rookie, I certainly had a chuckle.
It's long, convoluted and deliberately odious enough as it it to get one through, two at once would just confuse them.

May as well offer them 2 shovels and ask them to take their pick :lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Jan 2019, 2:56 pm

Hey you can dig a hole with a pick as well as a shovel... just takes even longer.... hahshaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mr48Volts » 31 Jan 2019, 4:42 pm

rookie wrote:Hang in there Mr48Volts! .. I wonder what would happen if you lodged another application online, now? ... ever consider having two applications in play?

Yeah nah lol. Again if communication was clear from the get go a lot of the frustration would be non existent. When you’re told one thing and then another happens, we’ll you know....I’m going to take up knitting til my GL comes through, I wonder how long my scarf will be by the time the bureaucratic BS gets sorted out, any guesses ;)?
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Feb 2019, 10:40 am

I'll take all of your learned advice guys :D :D

Gaznazdiak
I'm sure you were laughing when you typed that, rookie

Shows how green I am :oops: :lol: ... honestly, I think I would ask the FAR something along the lines of: I know mistakes happen .. "Off the record" has my application been lost and is it easiest if I give you a new copy of the form to get this whole process back on track?

My thoughts on lodging a second one electronically, is because they might not ring back for a couple of weeks ..

Mr48Volts
we have 10 working days to call you back

.. that's half the waiting period gone for a new app :unknown: ... I'd consider telling them to cancel my first application, just process this new one if it makes it easier

But that does all sound complicated -- grasping at straws for Mr48Volts :thumbsup: :drinks:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 01 Feb 2019, 1:22 pm

Rookie,

I'll give them their 10 working days which will make it Feb 12 (obviously I'm just hoping it gets processed before that), at no point have they said they've lost it, it was lodged, I have acknowledgement of application form that they sent back to me on Nov 15 with the Oct 29th lodgement date confirmed on it, and the few times I've called to chase it up after it was lodged for 10+ weeks, everyone has said "Oh we can see your application is being processed".... My wife is considering doing her gun safety course and lodging her own online after that to see if she can beat me.

I personally know 2 fellas who applied in Mid November, and guess what they're doing this weekend? Yep, they are going shooting cause they are licensed.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Feb 2019, 3:09 pm

I'll give them their 10 working days

Yep, good stuff Mr48Volts - can't wait to hear when you get the good news mate :thumbsup: and hear about the rifle that you got in mind :)
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Austwave » 03 Feb 2019, 12:34 pm

They just sent me a letter in receipt of my application and indicated a 6 to 8 week processing period. Applied online a had waited over a month for the original paperwork
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 04 Feb 2019, 5:33 am

Austwave wrote:They just sent me a letter in receipt of my application and indicated a 6 to 8 week processing period. Applied online a had waited over a month for the original paperwork

Yep that sounds familiar, I applied for the original paperwork on Aug 13, nothing had shown up by mid-September so I called and it got sent out and received in 7 days, sent everything off 1st week of October and it was lodged on Oct 29, my original paperwork said a 4-6 week wait as of today it's 14 weeks, when it finally comes through I'll certainly be putting my PTA's through online. Good luck Austwave :-)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 12 Feb 2019, 11:50 am

Received: 12-10-2018
NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE: 12-02-2019

Four months!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I have very strong mixed feeling now! I failed to break record here but I'm definitely very close to the top I think? :D
So what'd be the average time from this to NSW Service to send me a photo notice?
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 12 Feb 2019, 11:55 am

lionet wrote:Received: 12-10-2018

Four months!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I have very strong mixed feeling now! I failed to break record here but I'm definitely very close to the top I think? :D
So what'd be the average time from this to NSW Service to send me a photo notice?

Woooo!! good on ya mate. I'm still waiting at 121days. But with mine received on 15/10 hopefully your result means they've finally made it to the "October" pile... :crazy:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 12 Feb 2019, 12:32 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:

Woooo!! good on ya mate. I'm still waiting at 121days. But with mine received on 15/10 hopefully your result means they've finally made it to the "October" pile... :crazy:

Well I’m at 106 Days today and was lodged on Oct 29th I hope this means we are close to a resolution. Be interested to see how long your physical lic takes to come through after you take your picture at the RMS.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 12 Feb 2019, 3:14 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:

Close, my friend, hang in there.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 12 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Mr48Volts wrote:
GojiraSteve wrote:

Well I’m at 106 Days today and was lodged on Oct 29th I hope this means we are close to a resolution. Be interested to see how long your physical lic takes to come through after you take your picture at the RMS.

I'll keep you posted. Firstly I need to receive the photo notice then I can go to the RMS. I guess it's within the week. Then from the photo taken to the lic card, I guess next week. So hopefully everything is ready by 22nd. That'd bring my total length from 4 Sep 18 (requested forms) to 22nd Feb 19. Solid, outstanding even, government work ;P
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 12 Feb 2019, 3:29 pm

JWD40 wrote:
lionet wrote: You know man, I sent my application with Austrian Post Parcel Express. Cost me $10 but totally worth it because I sent out on 10 Oct and application was lodged on 12 Oct. Compare to other guys' unfortunate struggle with the mail, at that time I felt 'well it's not that bad at all, dodge the bullet there :P' and was hoping to get myself a .22lr for xmas gift hahaha then it's a downward spiral from there. See how naive I was?

Express post will only have sped it up by a couple of days. The major difference with Express post is that you have peace of mind that they have received it.
The fact that yours was entered into the system 2 days later is both lucky and highly unusual. Most people have to wait weeks for their paper application to be entered into the system. Without express tracking, most people are left wounding if FAR has even received the mail at all.

As for the naivety, i think most would have experienced that at some point. It can be a very long wait when you're excited. Try not to watch the kettle boil.

lionet wrote:As an immigrant I've no doubt dealt with a parade of government bureaucracy but this is by far one of the top 2. I also feel bad for the August guys. P650 shooting means booking and planning and weekends (I'm working full time during the week). And as I live in close suburb in Sydney any range is almost 1-hour drive from any direction. I just want to be able to blow off some steam off work in the evening :D

I'm not sure what you meant by close suburb in Sydney ? If you meant you live in Sydney, there are a few ranges that do try shoot days, some pre-organised, some you have to ring up. Weekends included. The firearms have generally seen loads of use and accuracy isn't great, but it can be fun anyway.
If any of them kick a stink about doing too many P650's, just give them your licence number and just tell them that you're still waiting.

Ah I mean I live in a suburb of Sydney, not in the city centre. Anyways I did book a try shooting pistol session with the St Mary's Indoor Range (rifle's time table doesn't suit me). That was quite fun. And now I'm finally referred. I'm thinking about booking a rifle session with them just to get a hang of the rifle stuff before starting shooting just by myself with a hired gun :)

I recon the PTA need to be a bit faster. Another 4 months to buy is just beyond reasonable.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 9:09 am

REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE!!!!

She's finally through! The site got updated on the Saturday so I'm gonna assume it was processed Friday making it a (not) cool 124 days from date of receipt.
But it's on its way, and I'm happy.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 17 Feb 2019, 9:39 am

GojiraSteve wrote:REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE!!!!

She's finally through! The site got updated on the Saturday so I'm gonna assume it was processed Friday making it a (not) cool 124 days from date of receipt.
But it's on its way, and I'm happy.

Nice one, you and Lionet give me hope, I’m at 111 Days and mine was lodged at the end of October so I’ve got my fingers crossed it will be soon. Be interesting to see how long your paperwork and photo license takes.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

Mr48Volts wrote:Nice one, you and Lionet give me hope, I’m at 111 Days and mine was lodged at the end of October so I’ve got my fingers crossed it will be soon. Be interesting to see how long your paperwork and photo license takes.

Cheers,
It's out of FAR's hands now so should only be subject to "normal" Government turnaround times That said, since Service NSW came into being I've been consistently impressed with their efficiency as compared to the departments they replaced. I'm betting I'll have the photo advice by the end of the week, and the physical licence well before I can get a PTA approved.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 17 Feb 2019, 11:09 am

GojiraSteve wrote:
Mr48Volts wrote:Nice one, you and Lionet give me hope, I’m at 111 Days and mine was lodged at the end of October so I’ve got my fingers crossed it will be soon. Be interesting to see how long your paperwork and photo license takes.

Cheers,
It's out of FAR's hands now so should only be subject to "normal" Government turnaround times That said, since Service NSW came into being I've been consistently impressed with their efficiency as compared to the departments they replaced. I'm betting I'll have the photo advice by the end of the week, and the physical licence well before I can get a PTA approved.

I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?
Experience of Service NSW is the very opposite of FAR. Went with my photo advice on a Friday afternoon with a service centre full of people and my waiting time was < 5 minutes. Bodes me well on their efficiency. My card should arrive next week. Then it's a-shopping time :)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

lionet wrote:I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?
Experience of Service NSW is the very opposite of FAR. Went with my photo advice on a Friday afternoon with a service centre full of people and my waiting time was < 5 minutes. Bodes me well on their efficiency. My card should arrive next week. Then it's a-shopping time :)

Well, I don't know for sure, but I had assumed that as soon as you pay your money and have your photo taken SNSW will advise FAR that the licence has been "issued" and from there you can lodge an online PTA application. No need to wait for the physical card to arrive in the mail.
For sure you'll need the card when your in the store wanting to handle potential purchases or to take any purchases home. But the online PTA app should only require a valid licence number right?
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 11:37 am

Oh, Lionet, in case you didn't know, the application number you used to login and check the status of you application on the FAR site becomes your licence number once it's issued so you don't need the card to get the number.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 17 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Oh, Lionet, in case you didn't know, the application number you used to login and check the status of you application on the FAR site becomes your licence number once it's issued so you don't need the card to get the number.

Well I think you're right Steve. But there's a statement here:

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/permit_to_acquire_a_firearm/frequently_asked_questions#pta8

Under [What requirements must be met to obtain a PTA?] it said
DO NOT apply for a PTA until your firearms licence has been issued and you've received your photo licence card from Service NSW/RMS.
so there's that. But I do understand what you mean. From a software system design point of view (I'm a programmer in my daily life), I think the moment you're considered to have your card issued is: when you check your license status online, it comes from [New Application referred to Service NSW for Issue - Not authorised for Firearms] to [Valid]. That's what I would consider the earliest possible moment one is allow to start the PTA application, saving a few days when the card is on it's way in mail.

But who knows, the government works in mysterious ways. I'll stick by the description of their web site, just to stay on their happy side.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 18 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

Hi guys, big congratulations!

I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?

I've recently got my licence approved (NSW) and when getting my first PTA lodged, as you would know everyone will refer you to use the ServiceNSW site (you might be able to lodge a paper one still as I read somewhere they would accept paper-based apps for 6 months).

When applying on ServiceNSW, you've got to supply your licence number and immediately it will attempt to validate it (no need to actually submit the application).

For me, it didn't allow me to submit my PTA application until my status was "VALID".

For me, my status changed on Saturday morning and I received the photo advice in the mail the following Friday (Sydney metro).

I found 6 working days about the normal time it takes to receive letters from FAR.

Be interested to see how long your physical lic takes to come through after you take your picture at the RMS.

This was quicker than it took for the FAR letters to come through.

It is sent from PARKES and took about 5 calendar days. Photo taken on Saturday morning, photo licence received Wednesday.

I assumed the FAR online status would change before I received the photo licence ... so I was keeping an eye on that ... I had rung the FAR to ask about submitting a PTA and they warned me that I wouldn't be able to submit a PTA until all computers are sync'd.

I received my photo licence on Wednesday but my status didn't change to "VALID" until Saturday morning.

On that Saturday, I tried submitting PTAs and ServiceNSW didn't allow me saying my licence number was invalid or something.

The following day, (Sunday) however everything was sync'd and I submitted my first PTA.

So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
  • +5 days receive photo licence
  • +3 days for online status to change to "VALID"
  • +1 day to allow computers to sync and allow PTA to be submitted

Good luck guys! Getting there .. :drinks:

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Feb 2019, 9:53 am

rookie wrote:I received my photo licence on Wednesday but my status didn't change to "VALID" until Saturday morning.

Cheers,
Mick

Well then... I guess that scuppers my plan to get the jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time goes...

Ah well, i spose if nothing else this sport teaches you patience...
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 18 Feb 2019, 12:47 pm

jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time

I tried going to ServiceNSW and showing them on my phone that my status changed to "Referred to ServiceNSW" and seeing if I could get the photo taken based on that.

The guy said no and that he needed the paper notice.

What I found incredible was when I did get my photo taken they said I could just use the existing photo on my drivers licence ....

So what's the point of going to ServiceNSW in-person?? Could have paid online and have the photo licence sent instead of the photo advice ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Feb 2019, 1:31 pm

rookie wrote:
jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time

I tried going to ServiceNSW and showing them on my phone that my status changed to "Referred to ServiceNSW" and seeing if I could get the photo taken based on that.

The guy said no and that he needed the paper notice.

What I found incredible was when I did get my photo taken they said I could just use the existing photo on my drivers licence ....

So what's the point of going to ServiceNSW in-person?? Could have paid online and have the photo licence sent instead of the photo advice ..

Wait so the photo advice gets issued by FAR not SNSW? I had assumed FAR electronically sent a request to SNSW to issue the photo advice and they took it from there. If FAR still have their fingers in the transaction (outside of just updating the status to valid) I'll DEFINITELY stop holding my breath :silent:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 18 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
  • +5 days receive photo licence
  • +3 days for online status to change to "VALID"
  • +1 day to allow computers to sync and allow PTA to be submitted

Good luck guys! Getting there .. :drinks:

Cheers,
Mick

Thanks Mick good to know :)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Feb 2019, 9:49 pm

Hey good luck Mr48Volts - the other two getting their licence progressed does sound like yours is just around the corner :thumbsup:

One of my mates just started the process all online. He lodged application 4 Feb 2019. Got acknowledgement letter dated 14 Feb 2019 (received yesterday 20 Feb 2019).

To keep a tally - from date of online application:
+10 days - Acknowledgement
+6 days - Receive acknowledgement letter
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 21 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

rookie wrote:Hey good luck Mr48Volts - the other two getting their licence progressed does sound like yours is just around the corner :thumbsup:

One of my mates just started the process all online. He lodged application 4 Feb 2019. Got acknowledgement letter dated 14 Feb 2019 (received yesterday 20 Feb 2019).

To keep a tally - from date of online application:
+10 days - Acknowledgement
+6 days - Receive acknowledgement letter

Thanks Rookie, I'm starting to think I should have just applied online in December, it would have been much quicker. Based on the other 2 lads, they were approved exactly 4 months to the days they had official lodgement Oct 12/Feb12 and Oct 15th/Feb15, mine was lodged Oct 29, so seeing as there is no Feb 29 this year, you'd think based on that I might be lucky on March 1st (next Friday), knowing my luck so far, I bet it doesn't I'm at 115 days today... It will be very interesting to see how quick your mates goes through
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 21 Feb 2019, 2:00 pm

Dec 13 / N/A so far. Just hit 70 days and I suppose I'll be waiting a bit longer, but it'll come eventually. Glad to hear boys are starting to get theirs. The wait is pretty hard. I could definitely see people just falling away from the sport because of how hard it is to get into it.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws