NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by K2bonsai » 11 Sep 2019, 10:12 am

My PTA for first purchase of A&B was done and on the system in 27 days with the start day to commence from 28 days. I am just waiting for the paperwork to come though which they state is 7-10 working days but if it is anything like my plastic card licence it was within 5 days.
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zxg618 » 14 Sep 2019, 12:12 pm

Cat A target

app submitted on 27/07/2019

49 days now...

according to this post, feels like I am only half way through...sigh
RPR 22LR
Tikka T3X Varmint 223
zxg618
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DJay » 17 Sep 2019, 8:13 am

Cat A & B
Application date online 28/06/29
Still waiting for a status change.
DJ
DJay
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 17 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

Not a new Licence but a Renewal of Licence submitted online 3/9/19 received the notification to attend RMS today to complete the process. Cat A,B & C.
So, 14 days.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 17 Sep 2019, 11:33 pm

It's been exactly 12 weeks now for cat A and B licence application for hunting. Nothing changed in the system.
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ant » 18 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm

I just spoke to FAR on the phone and they said that they do not start processing your application until the 28 day cooling off period ends, it just sits in the system. After 28 days they begin the process, currently it is taking them 10-12 weeks because "there are currently a lot of applications and there is lots of work to do".

I have been waiting 11 weeks already so still have 3-5 weeks longer.
ant
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 19 Sep 2019, 7:10 pm

ant wrote:I just spoke to FAR on the phone and they said that they do not start processing your application until the 28 day cooling off period ends, it just sits in the system. After 28 days they begin the process, currently it is taking them 10-12 weeks because "there are currently a lot of applications and there is lots of work to do".

I have been waiting 11 weeks already so still have 3-5 weeks longer.

Thanks for the information.

Why didn't you asked them to hire more people to do the jobs in time :D 8-)
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ant » 20 Sep 2019, 6:11 pm

Trust me, there were many things I would have liked to suggest to increase their efficiency in processing applications, but I think they are probably underfunded and short staffed for a reason. It's is an easy way for the government to limit the amount of licensed shooters without actually having to go through the process of tightening laws.

Also I did not want to have my application denied because I annoyed the lady answering the phones! lol. I can imagine she's probably has a lot of frustration vented at her for things which are beyond her control.
ant
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 20 Sep 2019, 7:22 pm

I have had some challenges but depending on who you get i’ve had some mixed customer service experiences. But I have spoken to a few and they have been fantastic and really helpful.

One particular lady called me on a Saturday!!!!

So there are great people at the FAR!! So they do exist :-)
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 22 Sep 2019, 5:07 pm

About 10 weeks and counting.
I'm getting rather annoyed and jumped on the website, spent 30 minutes writing a polite letter sayings its been about 10 weeks, the website says 35 days ive been getting the canned-scripted response and whats a supervisors or the commissioners phone number....then wussed out and scrapped it just incase they knock me back....
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 22 Sep 2019, 7:28 pm

Pretty annoying you have the cooling off period, followed by the 10 weeks (or however long), and then another extra month for the first PTA.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 22 Sep 2019, 7:36 pm

Ricochet wrote:About 10 weeks and counting.
I'm getting rather annoyed and jumped on the website, spent 30 minutes writing a polite letter sayings its been about 10 weeks, the website says 35 days ive been getting the canned-scripted response and whats a supervisors or the commissioners phone number....then wussed out and scrapped it just incase they knock me back....

I did the exactly same thing when mine was 10 weeks.
Short answer from FAR;

"You can use the Public Register on the Firearms Registry website to check the status of your firearms licence or Permit to Acquire."

Now it's almost been 13 weeks and still waiting. :shock:

Application date is 26/6/19
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 23 Sep 2019, 9:05 am

Category A & B licence application received (paper version): 29/5/19
Acknowledgement letter with interim license number received: 26/6/19
Online status changed to referred to Service NSW for photo: 31/8/19
Phone call from firearms advising status changed: 4/9/19
Letter arrived advising to go to Service NSW for photo: 6/9/19
Went into Service NSW and handed them the letter and paid for 5 years 7/9/19
Online status changed to Valid 10/9/19
Applied for PTA on 11/09/19
License arrived in the mail on 13/09/19
PTA listed on the FAR website on 17/09/19 with an application date of 11/09/19

So, so far;
108 days (approx 16 weeks) from license application to plastic arriving in the mail.
13 days and counting for PTA
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 28 Sep 2019, 10:56 pm

Lucky Saturday!...

Status s changed today on the system. It s in 14th week.

Application date 26/6/19
Status change 28/9/19
(...referred to Service NSW...)
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 30 Sep 2019, 11:44 pm

razor222 wrote:
ckraus wrote:
Hopefully you are luckier than my son. 3 weeks have elapsed since my son's permit was approved and mailed. They won't re-issue until exactly 4 weeks have passed. So I get to wait another week for something that has clearly been lost in the mail to ask them to re-issue. Knowing my luck it will be another 4 weeks again for the repost.

Ah, that sucks!! Such ridiculous rules, not to mention shoddy post system.

Success finally. After being approved on 3rd of August it finally turned up yesterday.

Talk about a drama. Aside from the incredible long wait for a minors permit (posted April and money taken May) what really killed me was it being lost in the post and having to wait 4 weeks before I could request a duplicate. And it took me 2-3 weeks to get the duplicate posted out.

Total time to get a letter from one side of NSW to the other - 8 weeks and 2 days.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 05 Oct 2019, 8:02 am

Woooohhhhhoooooooooo checked the web site for about the 64 million-th time and its changes status at long last.
Referred to NSW Services :clap: :clap: :drinks: :drinks: :D 8-)
Last edited by Ricochet on 05 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 05 Oct 2019, 5:08 pm

ckraus wrote:Success finally. After being approved on 3rd of August it finally turned up yesterday.

Talk about a drama. Aside from the incredible long wait for a minors permit (posted April and money taken May) what really killed me was it being lost in the post and having to wait 4 weeks before I could request a duplicate. And it took me 2-3 weeks to get the duplicate posted out.

Total time to get a letter from one side of NSW to the other - 8 weeks and 2 days.

Glad to hear it! :D What rifle will the boy be shooting?
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 06 Oct 2019, 7:56 am

ckraus wrote:Success finally. After being approved on 3rd of August it finally turned up yesterday.

My kids minor’s permits also came thru and delivered same time as ckraus

03/07/2019 - express post application to FAR (bounced around between murwillumbah and parramatta via Brisbane)

10/07/2019 - payt taken

21/09/2019 - approved - on the online checker

30/09/2019 - received paper permits

Pretty much 3 months - same as the adult licence times being experienced at the moment (except for the photo card processing time)

Things to note:
- I’m the licenced adult and was already licensed at the start of the permit application ... not sure if ckraus minor’s permits were delayed because he wasn’t licensed prior to his kids permits? (Maybe they had to approved ckraus then give his kids a cooling off period before progressing their permits?)
- other than Payt being taken, you don’t hear from FAR
- it’s a slower process (advised by FAR) as it’s all a manual process - not electronic like adult licences or pistol
- you’re going to have to call to get progress (or lack thereof) status updates
- once the application is “scanned into the computer” FAR can give u a licence number to track on the online status checks (this is late in the process close to when the permits got approved)
- once approved and letter received, I noticed on the envelope it was actually posted 27/09/2019 (almost a week after approved) - I assume they had the letter printed somewhere else and had it sent to FAR for checking first - before they actually could send it out us

Good luck to all for their applications and congrats to all our new shooters out there.

Be safe :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 08 Oct 2019, 11:09 am

Applied online 10 July for a transfer of an interstate license. Like a mug, I did the safety course and organised my license in another state, but didn't organise a PTA there, so arrived in NSW and had to go through the whole waiting period again. So applied online 10 July for a 'new license'. Still waiting. Email FAR last week asking about wait times, and was told my application was with the adjudication team who were experiencing longer than usual wait times. Apparently it's due to high volumes of applicants.

After that, I'll have to wait for a PTA... Here's hoping I'm shooting before Christmas.

The upside is the longer this takes, the more I'm saving, so by year's end I should have all of the gear, even if I've still got no idea.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 11 Oct 2019, 8:41 am

Update;

Category A & B licence application received (paper version): 29/5/19
Acknowledgement letter with interim license number received: 26/6/19
Online status changed to referred to Service NSW for photo: 31/8/19
Phone call from firearms advising status changed: 4/9/19
Letter arrived advising to go to Service NSW for photo: 6/9/19
Went into Service NSW and handed them the letter and paid for 5 years 7/9/19
Online status changed to Valid 10/9/19
Applied for PTA on 11/09/19
License arrived in the mail on 13/09/19
PTA listed on the FAR website on 17/09/19 with an application date of 11/09/19
PTA status updated on the 10/10/19 with an Issued date of 11/10/19

108 days (approx 16 weeks) from license application to plastic arriving in the mail.
29 days for PTA to be issued
1 day so far ..... waiting for paper PTA in the mail
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 15 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm

Online application made 6/7/2019
Status changed 5/10/2019
Photo advice letter arrived 14/10/2019
Attended nsw services for photo 15/10/2019
Waiting to apply for pta.
Travel back in time a bit.......
Around 1/8/2019 safe arrived
Around 15/8/2019 scope arrived , followed by rings.
Got a bit antsy and put deposit on rifle 30/9/2019
08/10/2019 Got all excited when status changed, rifle, Hoppes cleaning stuff, bag of patches, 800 rounds paid for waiting at local gun shop for PTA to arrive.
Just realised I need a sling....and more bullets.

Edit: got a sling....and more ammo waiting with the rifle to be picked up when pta arrives. I now have a selection of CCI mini mags, standards and subs, Winchester powerpoints and federal standards.

Edit: 24/10/2019 applied for PTA
Edit: 21/11/2019 Called NSWFAR website shows PTA status changed to valid. Still waiting for licence. 141 days and counting.
Edit: second photo advice letter issued 9/12/2019, it arrived on the 16l12/2019 or so.
Photo licence FINALLY arrived on 27/12/2019
Last edited by Ricochet on 29 Dec 2019, 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 16 Oct 2019, 4:36 pm

PTA arrived in the mail today. 141 days start to end.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 19 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

So I've been referred to service NSW for the photo. I've already paid (submitted application online). Given this, can I apply for a PTA now, to set the 28 day wait off? Or does this have to wait til after I've attended service NSW and had my photo taken? Won't be able to get there til next weekend, and want to get things moving quicker.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 19 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm

firstguns wrote:Given this, can I apply for a PTA now, to set the 28 day wait off? Or does this have to wait til after I've attended service NSW and had my photo taken?

Afraid you’ll have to wait till you get your photo license issued. You’ll find once you attend a few days later it will appear valid on FAR website. Once this happens it still takes about 24 hours for the ServiceNSW website to recognise the license number in order to submit the PTA.

Nothing is simple :-)
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by firstguns » 20 Oct 2019, 6:41 am

Nothing is simple

Now that's the truth.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 21 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

firstguns wrote:? Won't be able to get there til next weekend, and want to get things moving quicker.

I’d suggest getting there sooner if you want to move things along. As soon as I get the referred to service nsw letter I will be there the next day getting my photo done.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 22 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

It's a joke!..
I received my firearms license card from Service NSW last Wednesday 16th Oct.
The status on the online public registry is still '...not authorized for firearms' and can not put a PTA application.
Emailed them twice but no response.
Called firearms registry department yesterday. Lady was very kind and checked the system for the issue was;
whoever print my license card at Service NSW printing department forgot to click the 'posted out box' on the computer that turns the license status 'valid'.

She suggested me to visit Service NSW and also she opened a case to solve the problem.
I visited Service NSW and spent 40mins with them but all the people at the center were clueless.

I called firearms registry back, luckily same lady answered the phone. Result is; I have to wait 10 MORE days (on top of 3.5 months) for them to sort out the issue.

It's really frustrating.
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 23 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm

After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status so i could get started on my pta, got told i had to wait until the licence arrived and they automatically change it. I havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.
Last edited by Ricochet on 23 Oct 2019, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 23 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Ricochet wrote:After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status do i voild get stsrted on my pta, got told i had to wait until ithe licence arrived and they automatically change it. Havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.

Give it 24 to 48 hrs for Service NSW and NSW Police to get their data sync'd up, you'll be able to apply after that.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 23 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm

mikejay wrote:
Ricochet wrote:After reading a post on here i called nswfar to see if they could change the status do i voild get stsrted on my pta, got told i had to wait until ithe licence arrived and they automatically change it. Havent got it yet but, 23/10/2019 status changed to valid. So i was Bullsh!ted to again by nswfar. I tried to apply for pta online but no go.

Give it 24 to 48 hrs for Service NSW and NSW Police to get their data sync'd up, you'll be able to apply after that.

Dammit, been waiting nearly 4 months already.
Typed that last bit in a hurry, I was getting prodded by the missus to go do something. Just did an edit and cleaned up my sperring mistakes.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws