NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Bugman » 23 May 2020, 7:27 am

No. Not licence. PTA. Didn't have glasses on when posting. But I can tell you that it will take longer to get a new licence AND if certain inquiries are wrapped up it will be even harder to obtain certain licences.
Sorry for the confusion. :roll:
User avatar
Bugman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 154
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by reapercat » 23 May 2020, 8:05 am

Referred to Service NSW this morning, 102 days from 11/2/2020.
reapercat
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 23 May 2020, 4:38 pm

reapercat wrote:Referred to Service NSW this morning, 102 days from 11/2/2020.


Going on current form,you should receive your letter from Service NSW next Friday.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 23 May 2020, 9:34 pm

Had my first hunt this weekend with a club loaner rifle. Awesome fun. Well worth the wait. Hang in there guys. Can’t wait for my PTA to pick up own rifle now!
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 80
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 24 May 2020, 11:56 am

themarksman wrote:Had my first hunt this weekend with a club loaner rifle. Awesome fun. Well worth the wait. Hang in there guys. Can’t wait for my PTA to pick up own rifle now!


Can I ask, did you solo hunt or go with your club?

I am really interested in hunting and want to get into it, but alas none of my my mates are into shooting, and my current rifle club is a target shooting club?

I am already a member of the SSAA, so I was thinking I might look into from that way.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 24 May 2020, 12:13 pm

duddley75 wrote:
Can I ask, did you solo hunt or go with your club?

I am really interested in hunting and want to get into it, but alas none of my my mates are into shooting, and my current rifle club is a target shooting club?

I am already a member of the SSAA, so I was thinking I might look into from that way.


I have been bow hunting with a mate for the last 3-4 years. So this wasn’t much of a step up. Get involved with your local hunting club. Get your R licence if your in NSW so you can hunt public land. And just get out bush.
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 80
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 24 May 2020, 12:42 pm

themarksman wrote:
duddley75 wrote:
Can I ask, did you solo hunt or go with your club?

I am really interested in hunting and want to get into it, but alas none of my my mates are into shooting, and my current rifle club is a target shooting club?

I am already a member of the SSAA, so I was thinking I might look into from that way.


Get involved with your local hunting club. Get your R licence if your in NSW so you can hunt public land. And just get out bush.



thanks will do.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Hammar » 25 May 2020, 4:57 pm

Officially fully Cat H licensed finally! Went down to Service NSW office today and paid. Now just have to wait for my licence to arrive (Not that it bloody matters since our range is still shut!). 116 days since application. Now to get some PTA applications ready.
FAS 6007 .22
Steyr LP2 .177
Ruger MkIII .22
User avatar
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 26
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 26 May 2020, 10:39 am

Status VALID this morning. Cant apply for a PTA yet. Assuming ill be able to tomorrow morning. Stoked.
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 26 May 2020, 11:56 am

moudzj wrote:Status VALID this morning. Cant apply for a PTA yet. Assuming ill be able to tomorrow morning. Stoked.



Nice one.

Mine hasn't updated as yet
edit - And still not valid today (27/05) :unknown:
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 27 May 2020, 9:39 am

Applied for two PTA's this morning.

Total days to date since application: 82
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 10:12 am

You lads down there see these questions and answers asked by Robert Borsak about licences.
Attachments
NSW.PNG
NSW.PNG (65 KiB) Viewed 331 times
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 526
Queensland

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 27 May 2020, 10:32 am

Very interesting.

I guess, in a sense, we cant be mad with the FAR. I am sure atleast 50% of applications are incomplete or pure rubbish, and, whether we like it or not, it takes some serious resources to get through these types of applications. Definitely more than complete, proper ones.
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 8:03 am

Another day, and mine is still not showing valid. I tried Service NSW yesterday but they couldn't assist. I will try the FAR this morning to see if there is a hold up they can identify.

I am not confident my license will turn up tomorrow like other peoples timelines.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 9:17 am

Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 28 May 2020, 10:50 am

duddley75 wrote:Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.


How strange. Do you live in a regional part of NSW perhaps ? Maybe they still haven't processed the paperwork at ServiceNSW? Or were late to process it for whatever reason?

Really really hope my card arrives tomorrow.
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 10:59 am

moudzj wrote:
duddley75 wrote:Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.


How strange. Do you live in a regional part of NSW perhaps ? Maybe they still haven't processed the paperwork at ServiceNSW? Or were late to process it for whatever reason?

Really really hope my card arrives tomorrow.


Nope in Sydney. Just have to wait and see.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 1:07 pm

So I am confused.


My licence just showed up in the post....but FAR still says not valid..WTF?????

Another call to FAR, says data not updated. Have to wait for that still before I can do PTA.

However with licence in hand, I think i can still go shopping on Saturday and put a deposit down.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 28 May 2020, 3:59 pm

Wow dud, how strange.

My license also arrived today. Sooooooooooo stoked.
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 28 May 2020, 4:18 pm

duddley75 wrote:So I am confused.


My licence just showed up in the post....but FAR still says not valid..WTF?????

Another call to FAR, says data not updated. Have to wait for that still before I can do PTA.

However with licence in hand, I think i can still go shopping on Saturday and put a deposit down.


I imagine you wouldn’t have an issue. The place I went to hardly even looked at my licence. Defiantly didn’t look it up online. I am sure the checks are more strict when your purchasing by just putting a deposit down won’t be a problem. Hopefully it all syncs up on Saturday at the latest
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 80
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by AussieCapitalist » 28 May 2020, 4:46 pm

You dont need a licence or a PTA to buy a gun, you need one to take possession. Buy whatever you like mate if your PTA is on its way.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 526
Queensland

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 5:01 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:You dont need a licence or a PTA to buy a gun, you need one to take possession. Buy whatever you like mate if your PTA is on its way.


Can't apply for PTA yet, licence not showing as valid....yet
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by sticks » 30 May 2020, 3:59 am

Cat A/B. 100 days since application. Referred to Service NSW.
sticks
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 6
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 30 May 2020, 9:31 am

So license now valid.
Can't apply for PTA yet. (I am guessing in a day or so)

Having said that I put a deposit on rifle and scope this morning. :D
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 30 May 2020, 10:30 am

duddley75 wrote:So license now valid.
Can't apply for PTA yet. (I am guessing in a day or so)

Having said that I put a deposit on rifle and scope this morning. :D


Awesome, hahah.

Ive also put a deposit down on a S/S Howa 1500 in .308 & LA101 in .17HMR.
moudzj
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 30 May 2020, 11:52 am

moudzj wrote:
duddley75 wrote:So license now valid.
Can't apply for PTA yet. (I am guessing in a day or so)

Having said that I put a deposit on rifle and scope this morning. :D


Awesome, hahah.

Ive also put a deposit down on a S/S Howa 1500 in .308 & LA101 in .17HMR.


Excellent choice. Mine is on a Howa 1500 308 in MDT ESS chassis.

I had a look at a few Tikka hunting rifles as well. I do want to check the Lithgows out first.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by duddley75 » 31 May 2020, 8:36 am

PTA lodged 31/05

Originally applied for license 31/01 , so 4 months all up.
duddley75
Private
Private
 
Posts: 63
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by themarksman » 31 May 2020, 6:14 pm

Good to see things are speeding up for you guys. Hopefully it stays that way.
themarksman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 80
New South Wales

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Tiger650 » 31 May 2020, 11:22 pm

Very recently applied for NSW A/B after having moved over the border from VIC, funny thing that car/bike licence was transferred in 30 mins at no cost, NSW recognised term remaining on VIC licence.
No such thing with Firearms Licence "pay us $200.00 and if we knock you back we keep the $$$".
I have a printed acknowledgement of application and VIC licence expires in Nov '23 so the lazy buggers can take their time.
Great to be out of VIC, I wanted out of Melbourne and moved to Albury but did not consider Wodonga, I have possibly irrational fears for the future of The Workers Paradise.
Possibly but very probably not irrational.
Must say that the VIC Firearms Registry have always been very good, also VICPOL DFOs.
BTW just as I was about to move from SE Melbourne I had a no notice visit from the DFO and Assistant, most pleasant folk.
When I remarked that this was first inspection in 30+ years he explained that the job had previously been held by soon to retire Sergeants.
If you are in the Knox DFO area keep it tidy, this bloke intends to do the job properly which certainly is a good thing.
Tiger650
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 244
Victoria

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by reapercat » 02 Jun 2020, 8:08 am

duddley75 wrote:
reapercat wrote:Referred to Service NSW this morning, 102 days from 11/2/2020.


Going on current form,you should receive your letter from Service NSW next Friday.


Yep, arrived up here on Friday, Valid this morning. Hopefully PTAs tomorrow. :D
reapercat
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
New South Wales

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to New South Wales gun laws