New shooter in NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

New shooter in NSW

Post by bumpy76 » 18 Nov 2018, 2:13 pm

G'day all,

All new shooter, and am patiently awaiting for my licence application form to be sent out from FAR.

I know you need to stipulate where the firearms are to be stored, but it doesn't say if i'm required to purchase a safe, and have it inspected BEFORE i lodge my application, after doing training course, and demonstrating 'genuine reason' Living in a small country village in the Riverina district and having a local police officer just down the road, i don't think it'll be to hard to get an inspection done.

Should I get my safe first, have it inspected, and then send off any paperwork along with the application?

Thanks in advance.
Just want to get out there..... patiently waiting........
bumpy76
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New shooter in NSW

Post by Chief2744 » 19 Nov 2018, 7:30 am

G'day mate welcome to the club

I personally would wait until I have my licence in hand. When you are ready to buy a rifle/s and are waiting for your permit to acquire to come through you can buy a safe and get it installed before you pick up your rifle. As for police inspections I believe you can request an inspection or wait to be contacted by police and arrange a time for them to inspect. I may be wrong as it was a while when I got my licence. Hope this helps. Cheers
Chief2744
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Nov 2018, 7:34 am

Short answer, NO.
Longer version,
In NSW you are expected to comply with "safe storage" requirements at all times. They are set out in full on the police website.
Pre-inspections are not carried out. Inspections are at random and they are supposed to contact you prior to any inspections.
BUT, if you are intending to purchase your own firearms and store them at home, you will need a safe.
Hint, buy one three times the size you "think" you need.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 19 Nov 2018, 9:04 am

bumpy76 wrote:G'day all,

All new shooter, and am patiently awaiting for my licence application form to be sent out from FAR.

I know you need to stipulate where the firearms are to be stored, but it doesn't say if i'm required to purchase a safe, and have it inspected BEFORE i lodge my application, after doing training course, and demonstrating 'genuine reason' Living in a small country village in the Riverina district and having a local police officer just down the road, i don't think it'll be to hard to get an inspection done.

Should I get my safe first, have it inspected, and then send off any paperwork along with the application?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to buy a safe if/until you're getting a firearm (unless you sent out a PTA along with your licence application)

I was licensed and using club guns for 17 months before buying my first gun (and got a safe installed)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 19 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

Chief2744 wrote:As for police inspections I believe you can request an inspection or wait to be contacted by police and arrange a time for them to inspect. I may be wrong as it was a while when I got my licence. Hope this helps. Cheers

I only requested an inspection when I got my first gun (handgun) back in 2010 and that was pimarily because I lived in a dodgy part of Redfern and I thought the cops would like to know lol

Have never been contacted for an inspection since (and I have "a lot" more firearms since then)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Nov 2018, 4:58 pm

bumpy76 wrote:

Don't bother sorting the safe until you've sent in a PTA. I'd even be tempted to sort the safe out after you get your PTA approved.
You don't need a safe just because you have your licence and an approved PTA... you don't have the firearm yet, and hence don't need the safe.

It would be a pain in the ass if you purchased a safe and had your licence or PTA rejected

P.S. if you're waiting for your paper work for more than 2 weeks, give them a call and ask if it was meant to be sent out already. They seem to sit on the request for more than a month before processing it if you don't bother chasing them up for it. But if you call them, they get it sorted while on the phone and it will arrive to you within a week. No point in waiting months.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Squadsopt » 08 Aug 2022, 11:23 am

I'm also a probationary shooter and will need to buy a safe soon once I get my full licence and PTA. Can anyone recommend a good safe make/model to start with? I'll be installing it on tiles/concrete on the floor but ideally, id have it up higher for more easy access. Any tips or advice?
Check out my Pistol Shooting Software - www.squadspot.com.au
Squadsopt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DavePE » 11 Aug 2022, 4:49 pm

JWD40 wrote:
bumpy76 wrote:

Don't bother sorting the safe until you've sent in a PTA. I'd even be tempted to sort the safe out after you get your PTA approved.
You don't need a safe just because you have your licence and an approved PTA... you don't have the firearm yet, and hence don't need the safe.

It would be a pain in the ass if you purchased a safe and had your licence or PTA rejected

P.S. if you're waiting for your paper work for more than 2 weeks, give them a call and ask if it was meant to be sent out already. They seem to sit on the request for more than a month before processing it if you don't bother chasing them up for it. But if you call them, they get it sorted while on the phone and it will arrive to you within a week. No point in waiting months.

You will need a Cops Event Number prior to submitting your PTA application. The Police issue you with this number once they have conducted an inspection of your safe and determined it is satisfactory.
DavePE
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 11 Aug 2022, 6:20 pm

Thats only for Cat H
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 15 Aug 2022, 8:01 pm

DavePE wrote:
JWD40 wrote:
bumpy76 wrote:

You will need a Cops Event Number prior to submitting your PTA application. The Police issue you with this number once they have conducted an inspection of your safe and determined it is satisfactory.

I don’t think this is correct.

You don’t need to install a safe as part of your license application in NSW.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DavePE » 19 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

bullzeye wrote:
DavePE wrote:
JWD40 wrote:
bumpy76 wrote:

I don’t think this is correct.

You don’t need to install a safe as part of your license application in NSW.

It's required as part of your PTA application, presuming you intend to own your own firearms, but as dnedative pointed out that's only for CAT H.
DavePE
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws