FAR is a crock of S@#T - WARNING RANT

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

FAR is a crock of S@#T - WARNING RANT

Post by Diddums » 25 Feb 2019, 1:40 pm

Been waiting for a PTA to arrive in the mail, it was issued on the 25/1/18.
Still nothing today so i decided to spend 40 min on hold to the FAR only to be told to either send in s stat-dec to say that i never received it and they will cancel and reissue the PTA or i can wait, in which case if it doesn't turn up then it will expire and ill lose my money.
He then went on to say that if i was in a hurry i can re-apply all together for a new PTA.

I asked him why doesn't the FAR use registered mail considering that they are dealing with firearms and they are the source of all evil, that way they can ensure that the right people are receiving their mail.
He said i should writhe an email to the FAR to get an official response.

Seriously F@&! that place.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: FAR is a crock of S@#T - WARNING RANT

Post by JSS » 25 Feb 2019, 1:59 pm

It might be worth a second call just in case.
I've called QWL (our FAR) up here in Qld and got a complete arrogant f@#king c@ckhead who's told me a load of bulls**t and who's mission it was to be an unhelpful prick.
Not believing him for a second i've then rang back and got someone else who was the complete opposite and was very polite and helpful and resolved my issue on the spot.
You never know your luck, and worst case you've only lost another 40 mins on hold.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 2:12 pm

Dealing with any government department or public service workers can do your head in cause some just don’t care at all and aren’t deserving of a job in the first place
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 25 Feb 2019, 2:19 pm

A friend of mine has been waiting 10 weeks for a PTA, they rang up and got told the same story.

I've put in for 2 more PTA's, will just have to wait now to see what turns up first.

Worst part is i have a Ruger precision rim fire sitting at the shop paid for just waiting to be picked up.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 25 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

What do you mean you done your money you don't pay until you recive the pta and then pay your money at the bank
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 25 Feb 2019, 2:45 pm

deye243 wrote:What do you mean you done your money you don't pay until you recive the pta and then pay your money at the bank

That may be the way of things in Vic. I've no idea about NSW, but I can assure you that in Qld you pay at the time of making the application. No money - no application. And if the application is declined - well, I guess you've done your dough.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 25 Feb 2019, 2:45 pm

deye243 wrote:What do you mean you done your money you don't pay until you recive the pta and then pay your money at the bank

In NSW you have to input your card details when you apply, they charge you when the process the application.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2019, 2:54 pm

Other states charge money to lodge PtA's, in Victoria it's free. If you then buy a firearm on that PtA there's a $10.50 fee when you collect the firearm.
What do you mean by paying at the bank? I've never done that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 25 Feb 2019, 3:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Other states charge money to lodge PtA's, in Victoria it's free. If you then buy a firearm on that PtA there's a $10.50 fee when you collect the firearm.

You Mexicans get all the breaks :lol: In Qld you pay $39 when you apply for your pta.
I always tick the box that says "send copy to dealer", that way it gets faxed/emailed to them the same time you get your conformation email....no staring at the mailbox for weeks on end.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 3:18 pm

My local dealer has had big problems with PTA’s being faxed to him , they’ve been getting lost in the net ? he’s been told it’s the new broadband network. I’ve heard of other people having problems with the new system as well. I have to get my PTA’s posted now
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Feb 2019, 7:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:

My dealer don't do the online thing if I buy local so you put in your pta with the registry and about a week or 2 the pta rolls up then you pay at westpac bank get it stamped and then get you firearm and of you go .
The last time It was $9 something .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 26 Feb 2019, 7:21 am

bigrich wrote:My local dealer has had big problems with PTA’s being faxed to him , they’ve been getting lost in the net ? he’s been told it’s the new broadband network. I’ve heard of other people having problems with the new system as well. I have to get my PTA’s posted now

Hmmmmm...so maybe we should be grateful that NSW will probably never get dealer-faxed PTAs? Lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 7:32 am

Touch wood but I've never had a problem with faxed to dealer pta's....put one in on Friday for a 12g for the wife got approved yesterday which for qld is good turn around so I'll see if it gets to the dealer without issues. .... :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Feb 2019, 9:46 am

What’s a PTA? Over here in WA there is no such thing. Every time you need a new firearm you have to get a new property letter (if it’s for hunting), lodge an application stating your valid need and genuine reason, pay the $190(?) fee and wait to find out if the addition to your licence has been granted. PTA? Luxury! Having said that waiting over a month for something that normally takes a few weeks is pretty annoying.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 11:22 am

Bruiser64 wrote:What’s a PTA? Over here in WA there is no such thing. Every time you need a new firearm you have to get a new property letter (if it’s for hunting), lodge an application stating your valid need and genuine reason, pay the $190(?) fee and wait to find out if the addition to your licence has been granted. PTA? Luxury! Having said that waiting over a month for something that normally takes a few weeks is pretty annoying.

New property letter, new genuine reason and $190!! for every new gun? FMD!!

The tragedy is WA is truly awful.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 3:53 pm

Yep whenever I start to get the sh@ts with WLB I just think "Could be worse thank f@#k I'm not a firearms owner in WA!!!!!" :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Feb 2019, 8:05 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:What’s a PTA? Over here in WA there is no such thing. Every time you need a new firearm you have to get a new property letter (if it’s for hunting), lodge an application stating your valid need and genuine reason, pay the $190(?) fee and wait to find out if the addition to your licence has been granted. PTA? Luxury! Having said that waiting over a month for something that normally takes a few weeks is pretty annoying.

I should make a slight correction it is $190 for every additional application. It’s a flat fee irrespective of the number of additional firearms applied for. It is therefore prudent to be well organised and apply for several new firearms at a time to spread the cost. The challenge is that you have to clearly state your genuine need for the specific firearm you are applying for. You have to make clear that the new firearm(s) fill a need your existing ones don’t. This does mean you have to really think through your purchase.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 8:23 pm

Oh ok, but it still sounds like punitive embuggerance to make shooter's lives as difficult as possible.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 27 Feb 2019, 6:30 am

Bruiser64 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:

I should make a slight correction it is $190 for every additional application. It’s a flat fee irrespective of the number of additional firearms applied for. It is therefore prudent to be well organised and apply for several new firearms at a time to spread the cost. The challenge is that you have to clearly state your genuine need for the specific firearm you are applying for. You have to make clear that the new firearm(s) fill a need your existing ones don’t. This does mean you have to really think through your purchase.

Well at least it's an excuse when you tell you wife you just bought 10 new guns.................."But honey it only worked to $19 a gun, i've saved a fortune !!" :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 27 Feb 2019, 8:05 am

Well the 2 PTA's that I put in on the 22nd have been issued as of this morning.
Now to wait and see when they turn up in the mail.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 01 Aug 2019, 10:30 am

I certainly share your pain in dealing with FAR in NSW. I too have two cat H pta's in the system and these are being "processed"
One has been in for over 40 days the other about a month. My point is this, we pay the pta fee and our licence fee etc, so what the hell are these people doing? They have taken our money but not produced the service we all paid for. If they were honest, then they may well have advised that there is a 6 week backlog or whatever....but no.....after all they are public servants. (my apologies to all decent public servants)
DOH!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws