License holder supervising a unlicensed person (wife/parent)

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

License holder supervising a unlicensed person (wife/parent)

Post by lionet » 19 Apr 2019, 11:42 am

Hi guys,

So I'm in Sydney. Do you know any range that would allow a license holder (just a normal recreational shooter, not a safety course trainer or any other fancy title) to supervise an unlicensed person, like a friend, wife or parent, to try shooting under P650? And if they do, what would be the usual procedure to apply for this kind of activity?

It seems that the range official need to authorise that person to be a supervisor if they ever choose to allow it. Apparently not all ranges allow this.

Thank you.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: License holder supervising a unlicensed person (wife/par

Post by pomemax » 19 Apr 2019, 1:00 pm

Ring Silverdale range and ask (02) 4653 1440 I believe they used to not sure if they still do
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 21 Apr 2019, 9:43 pm

lionet wrote:
It seems that the range official need to authorise that person to be a supervisor if they ever choose to allow it. Apparently not all ranges allow this.

I think this is the case yes. Any licensed shooter can be designated to supervise a P650, but only by the RO/Club official in control of the range at that moment (as my rifle club does when all shooters are on the firing line under supervision) After all the s**t that has gone down at FAR since last year especially I'd be very surprised if they allowed this.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Apr 2019, 5:00 am

My local ranges will not allow this - only designated members can supervise...it was one of the reasons my young boy moved away from clay target shooting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 23 Apr 2019, 11:06 am

I just rang Silverdale if its say you child and they are over 12 they can shoot on a 650 a friend, wife or parent so long as as over 18 all ok
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 23 Apr 2019, 3:46 pm

SSAA at Anzac range have also been fine with this in the past, as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 26 Apr 2019, 11:22 am

pomemax wrote:I just rang Silverdale if its say you child and they are over 12 they can shoot on a 650 a friend, wife or parent so long as as over 18 all ok

Thanks a lot mate. I'm thinking of taking them this week :)

Archie wrote:SSAA at Anzac range have also been fine with this in the past, as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed.

Good to know for an alternative. But I live in inner west and store my gun in St Mary's. It'd be heck of a drive to get the gun out then go all the way southeast haha. Silverdale would be better in my condition.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 26 Apr 2019, 11:08 pm

I think it's important to have an understanding of the Act and Regulations in matters such as this.
I have no idea what NSW does, or does not, permit but in Queensland ONLY a range officer can supervise an unlicensed person as per this part of the Act, Section 53, para (5) & (6) : -

(5) The range officer must ensure the person is supervised by the range officer or another range officer at all times when the person is in physical possession of the weapon.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

(6) For subsection (5), if the person is in physical possession of a category H weapon, the supervision of the person by a range officer must be direct, personal and exclusive supervision by the range officer at all times when that person is in physical possession of the weapon.

Might pay to check what the legislation says, else the R.O. may be putting his neck in the proverbial.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm

^Same as Tassie - only allocated ppl can supervise and those same ppl are usually nominated high up in the clubs and always busy with other stuff...so you get to a point where you don’t want to ask them...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by lionet » 01 May 2019, 7:57 pm

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforce/2b38053f-9e7d-4358-ba20-155e7ec4be78/1996-46.pdf wrote:
6B Exemption for unlicensed persons shooting on approved ranges and for persons
undertaking firearms safety training courses

(1) A person is exempt from any requirement under this Act to be authorised by a licence
or permit to possess or use a firearm (other than a prohibited firearm) if the person
possesses or uses the firearm only:

(a) at a shooting range approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the
regulations and while under the direct supervision of a person who is
authorised by a licence to possess or use a firearm of that kind, or

(b) while participating in a firearms safety training course approved by the
Commissioner in accordance with the regulations and while under the direct
supervision of a firearms instructor approved by the Commissioner in
accordance with the regulations.

(2) Any such exemption from the requirement to be authorised by a licence or permit to
possess or use a firearm is subject to the requirements prescribed by the regulations.
(3) This section does not apply in relation to a person who is under the age of 12 years

For future reference, this is where the Firearms Act in NSW grants the permission to do P650 shooting.

Quite a drive out to Silverdale where they allow it but there's good proportion, if not half, of the people there are in the try shooting blue shirts and we felt very welcomed. Took my parents and they had a blast ;)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 May 2019, 9:34 pm

Glad they had a good day out at the range
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 03 May 2019, 11:13 pm

Wonder if they allow the same at St Marys?
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 04 May 2019, 1:01 am

no not at all cruncher you have to have range instructor with you at a cost
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 04 May 2019, 12:29 pm

Taken a few people to Silverdale, its a great way to introduce someone to shooting, its a much nicer place to shoot than St Marys (especially when someone with a muzzle breaked magnum turns up next to you indoors). Its much at Silverdale since they now allow magazine feeding rather than single shot too.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 04 May 2019, 11:04 pm

pomemax wrote:no not at all cruncher you have to have range instructor with you at a cost

Thanks pomemax, looks like Silverdale it is.. I got a couple of friends wanting to try shooting without signing up for those "try shooting" programs.. Also my daughter is turning 12 this year so I thought to take her out to shoot some 22LR.

Wonder why St Marys won't allow this though, with Silverdale both being the SSAA ranges..
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 06 May 2019, 2:16 pm

No idea why cruncher. But frankly speaking St Marys is not as friendly an environment as Silverdale to try-shooting beginners anyway. Not that the staff is not helpful - they are. But an indoor range with a big gun and muzzle breaker right next to me is somewhat disturbing, not unlike PaddyT's experience. I'm doubling up with 30db earplug and a 25db earmuff, still feel the vibration on my bench and the shock wave blowing side ways. Not sure how my eardrums take it.

Silverdale is $3 cheaper than St Marys also for licensed SSAA member. But it's... so far. And cease fire at 3.30pm. My guns are stored at St Marys which is open at 10am and around an hour drive to Silverdale. So shooting time is effectively reduced to 4.5 hours at max even if I planned it well. But what ya gonna do except accepting whatever you can get :)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws