NSW-At what point do reloading components become Ammunition

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW-At what point do reloading components become Ammunition

Post by Kumaabear » 21 May 2019, 8:49 am

Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before but a search didn't find an answer.

I have just started reloading, and it occurred to me that I have no idea at what point I need to store my partly reloaded shells in my safe.

Is it okay to leave my primed but not charged brass on my reloading bench or does it need "safe storage"

Alternatively can it just be locked up where I store my powder, (just a locked tool box) until it becomes a completed cartridge

In my head it isn't technically "ammunition" until the moment I seat the bullet in a charged casing but as usual there is little clear guidance in the laws.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW-At what point do reloading components become Ammunit

Post by YoungBuck » 21 May 2019, 9:23 am

Not 100% sure about NSW but in Vic your live primers and powder need to be locked up.
So putting a primer into a case (even without the powder or bullet) requires it to be locked away when unattended.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Trents57 » 21 May 2019, 10:38 am

Trents57
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 21 May 2019, 12:11 pm

Ammunition by definition, Will have a case a primmer and power if any of these are missing its not ammunition in nsw , some states require you to consider just brass as rounds.
I believe in Nsw the work-cover act covers powder and primmer,s re storage .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 21 May 2019, 1:30 pm

Interesting to note that an airgun pellet (FFS) is classed as ammunition, but shot is not. :?:

What is Ammunition?
Ammunition is defined in section 4 of the Firearms Act 1996 as:
Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile (think 22BB or 22CB), or
Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or
Blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or
Any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purpose of this definition.

Imagine this scene :lol:
Somebody "drops" a couple of tins of airgun pellets AND a similar quantity of shot, along a well used street.
Would plod have palpitations about all that ammunition being found on the street, where non-licenced people have access to it, or would it dawn on them that the law is an ass :thumbsdown:
Oh dear; we'll have to collect all the ammo', but we'll leave the shot. :wtf:

Who writes fvk'd up law like that? :unknown:
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 21 May 2019, 4:01 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Interesting to note that an airgun pellet (FFS) is classed as ammunition, but shot is not. :?:

What is Ammunition?
Ammunition is defined in section 4 of the Firearms Act 1996 as:
Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile (think 22BB or 22CB), or
Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or
Blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or
Any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purpose of this definition.

Imagine this scene :lol:
Somebody "drops" a couple of tins of airgun pellets AND a similar quantity of shot, along a well used street.
Would plod have palpitations about all that ammunition being found on the street, where non-licenced people have access to it, or would it dawn on them that the law is an ass :thumbsdown:
Oh dear; we'll have to collect all the ammo', but we'll leave the shot. :wtf:

Who writes fvk'd up law like that? :unknown:

Even stupider if that's possible is that "Snap Caps" could be considered "Training Cartridges" and need to be locked up... :crazy:

To answer the OP, Primers, Powder & Loaded ammunition needs to be secured so technically once you prime the case it should be securely stored.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wannabustbunnies » 04 Jun 2019, 5:39 pm

A primed case doesn't contain a "propelling charge" or a projectile so going by their own definition above it wouldn't need to be stored any differently than a fired case
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jun 2019, 8:22 am

Do you want to put it all at risk over an interpretation of what constitutes "ammunition"?

I've had one copper have problems with my projectile supply being kept on shelves in my gun room while doing an inspection.
He reckoned that they were unsecured ammunition. After trying to explain that they were just inert pieces of metal no more dangerous than a fishing sinker he was still adamant that they should be locked away and that I was in breach of the safe storage laws. It was only when his off-sider, ( a young female constable ), pointed out that they were actually "secured" due to they fact that the room was normally locked, that he backed down.
The problem is that it is not your interpretation of the law, it is the the perception of the police officer who is doing the inspection.

Personally, I have powder locked away in a solid TIMBER storage, primers stored separately from that, any loaded ammo stored locked away in another cupboard, and any primed cases are stored in a small locked cupboard above my loading bench where I'm working on them.
My projectile supply is still stored on the shelves, f@ck him.

Basically, if can go "bang", lock it up.
AND, yes it is stupid but, air rifle pellets are classed as ammunition in NSW.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2019, 8:56 am

wannabustbunnies wrote:A primed case doesn't contain a "propelling charge" or a projectile so going by their own definition above it wouldn't need to be stored any differently than a fired case

Primers are a class 1.4c explosive which is required to be stored securely. Keep in mind that the firearms act only relates to ammunition, with powder & primers being handled under the "Explosives Regulation 2013" act in NSW which requires secure storage of all explosives. Other states have similar regulations that also require secure storage of explosives. Technically the only component that doesn't require secure storage in NSW is the bare case and projectile but other states may have different requirements.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 26 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

What actually do they mean by "training cartridge" what is a training cartridge?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 26 Nov 2021, 12:34 pm

Jackaroo wrote:What actually do they mean by "training cartridge" what is a training cartridge?

Let me help you out, seeing as you have not, apparently, read the previous posts.
brett1868, in a reply above, said this: - Even stupider if that's possible is that "Snap Caps" could be considered "Training Cartridges" and need to be locked up... '

Is that clear enough?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2021, 12:45 pm

Jackaroo wrote:What actually do they mean by "training cartridge" what is a training cartridge?

A training cartridge under ammunition law would include the plastic case and bullet that is fired by a primer, generally used in revolvers. Probably just an old term that got left in the definition. As they are considered live ammunition, they can only legally be used at approved ranges, so never really took off in Australia. I've never known any civilian shooter use them, only Police and security guards during training exercises.

I don't believe a snap cap, or a dummy round could be considered to be training ammunition in NSW. In WA a dummy round is considered live ammunition, unless the bullet and brass are deactivated in some visually obvious way, generally by drilling through them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2021, 12:47 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Let me help you out, seeing as you have not, apparently, read the previous posts.
brett1868, in a reply above, said this: - Even stupider if that's possible is that "Snap Caps" could be considered "Training Cartridges" and need to be locked up... '

Is that clear enough?

Your attitude is unnecessary...

I don't believe brett's conjecture is correct. He appears to include dummy or inert cartridges as "training ammunition". I don't believe they are as they are not used for live-fire training, they are used for function testing and familiarisation training.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 26 Nov 2021, 5:30 pm

I err on the side of caution. That's just me. All components are locked up until needed. The only thing left on my bench are the presses, the scales and some empty storage tins. I don't care for interpretation of the rules and regs here in NSW, and that is not intended as criticism of comments made here, it is just that, and as we all know, each plod could well have their own interpretation of is acceptable and because all my stuff is locked up until needed etc, I am covering my backside.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 26 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Is that clear enough?

I certainly hope that you don't think that's clear.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 27 Nov 2021, 4:07 pm

Live fire 'Training Cartridges' are often referred to as 'paint rounds', 'marker rounds' or 'simunition' - the last term as they simulate the experience of real ammunition in terms of close range point of aim etc.

These training cartridges often comprise of a primer, small channel through aluminium shell base to a gel or paint capsule which is then propelled out and onto the target at low velocity and energy, bursting on impact to leave a mark identifying the hit.

These cartridges are often capable of being fired from a real firearm in that they duplicate the form of commercially available ammunition, however are usually designed to only work effectively with the weapons designed to shoot them. These weapons typically have optimised barrels, chambers and recoil/loading springs so as to utilise the very low power training round.

'Snap Caps' or 'Dummy Rounds' which are easily identifiable as false rounds are not ammunition.

Hope that helps.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Jackaroo » 28 Nov 2021, 6:08 am

boingk wrote:Live fire 'Training Cartridges' are often referred to as 'paint rounds', 'marker rounds' or 'simunition' - the last term as they simulate the experience of real ammunition in terms of close range point of aim etc.

These training cartridges often comprise of a primer, small channel through aluminium shell base to a gel or paint capsule which is then propelled out and onto the target at low velocity and energy, bursting on impact to leave a mark identifying the hit.

These cartridges are often capable of being fired from a real firearm in that they duplicate the form of commercially available ammunition, however are usually designed to only work effectively with the weapons designed to shoot them. These weapons typically have optimised barrels, chambers and recoil/loading springs so as to utilise the very low power training round.

'Snap Caps' or 'Dummy Rounds' which are easily identifiable as false rounds are not ammunition.

Hope that helps.

- boingk

Thanks for that very clear and precise answer, much appreciated.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

Good info boink!
I recalled the Simunition last night and was going to edit my post to include it.

boingk wrote:Live fire 'Training Cartridges' are often referred to as 'paint rounds', 'marker rounds' or 'simunition' - the last term as they simulate the experience of real ammunition in terms of close range point of aim etc.

Hope that helps.

- boingk
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws