NSW Firearms Registry Request Mental Health Report

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Firearms Registry Request Mental Health Report

Post by Nick90 » 31 Jul 2019, 10:21 pm

Hi guys

New to the forum and first post, applied for a Cat H (PPL) in NSW and everything was good until I received a letter from FAR advising due to an incident in January 2008 where there was an “alleged mental health issue” and police got involved, I need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist and get a report.

Has anyone else received a letter like this or similar?

Can anyone recommend a psychologist or psychiatrist in NSW who is willing to leave there own personal beliefs out of it, I’ve had multiple refuse to write it and go on to explain how all firearms owned by private individuals should be banned. Many thanks.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW Firearms Registry Request Mental Health Report

Post by pete1 » 01 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm

Heard about it happening. Just say you need a letter your all better. Dont need to say anything about firearms id say. Id think just need to say your not a danger to anyone. Cant a GP do this?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 12:56 am

Whilst this is a pain in the bum for you - it is kind of good to know the system is working in regards to ensuring your not a danger to yourself or anyone else.
Many ppl on here have had depression, some still do, but it can be managed and the long-standing hangovers of the old days are being eroded thanks to numerous brave doles speaking out about their experiences.

Jump through the hoops, do the right thing, it will all work out. Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 02 Aug 2019, 5:42 am

i feel that it's unproffessional of these shrinks you've gone to for a letter to let their personal bias to influence your civil rights Nick90 . firearms are legal to own and use as long as their held by a fit and proper person. i would report these shrinks to their governing body for their bias and attitude . on the other hand, is there more to this story ? forgive me if i'm wrong , but any firearms license application where mental health is a issue needs proper scrutiny .we need rules and safe gaurds for some good reasons. i remember that guy that kept applying for pistol club membership to get a gun to kill his kids . the clubs warned licensing not to give him a license . if it's all good nick go through the proper chanels and it should work out. not knowing you from a bar of soap nick , some on this forum are sceptical of questions like yours, because gun control advocates get on forums like this looking for information to twist to use for their own purposes . if i'm wrong i appologise , but law abiding firearm owners are often vilified by GCA and the media and need to be mindful of these sorts of questions. best of luck nick :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 02 Aug 2019, 7:33 am

Nick90 wrote:Hi guys

New to the forum and first post, applied for a Cat H (PPL) in NSW and everything was good until I received a letter from FAR advising due to an incident in January 2008 where there was an “alleged mental health issue” and police got involved, I need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist and get a report.

Can anyone recommend a psychologist or psychiatrist in NSW who is willing to leave there own personal beliefs out of it, I’ve had multiple refuse to write it and go on to explain how all firearms owned by private individuals should be banned. Many thanks.

You don't elaborate on what the “alleged mental health issue” may have been thus enabling people on the forum to have some idea of whether it was trivial or a serious allegation.
I can easily understand why health professionals may not want to vouch for the reliability of a person based on a brief assessment.
That said, if what you say is accurate then you have ample grounds for a formal complaint to their professional governing body.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 7:58 am

straightshooter wrote:

You don't elaborate on what the “alleged mental health issue” may have been thus enabling people on the forum to have some idea of whether it was trivial or a serious allegation.
I can easily understand why health professionals may not want to vouch for the reliability of a person based on a brief assessment.
That said, if what you say is accurate then you have ample grounds for a formal complaint to their professional governing body.

He says the police were involved thus its recorded in the system...so it’s not likely to be a minor thing (I assume on lack of other pertinent info).
It may well be that the psychs are covering their asses here - saying “that” as to not offend the patient...or perhaps the patient is not hearing what they are trying to say...maybe...all maybes...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 2:02 pm

straightshooter wrote:

I didn’t elaborate on the “alleged mental health issue” because that it is irrelevant to what I’ve asked, which is if this has happened to other and any psychologist who they can recommend. Nothing to do with others views or opinions (no offence).
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

bigrich wrote:i feel that it's unproffessional of these shrinks you've gone to for a letter to let their personal bias to influence your civil rights Nick90 . firearms are legal to own and use as long as their held by a fit and proper person. i would report these shrinks to their governing body for their bias and attitude . on the other hand, is there more to this story ? forgive me if i'm wrong , but any firearms license application where mental health is a issue needs proper scrutiny .we need rules and safe gaurds for some good reasons. i remember that guy that kept applying for pistol club membership to get a gun to kill his kids . the clubs warned licensing not to give him a license . if it's all good nick go through the proper chanels and it should work out. not knowing you from a bar of soap nick , some on this forum are sceptical of questions like yours, because gun control advocates get on forums like this looking for information to twist to use for their own purposes . if i'm wrong i appologise , but law abiding firearm owners are often vilified by GCA and the media and need to be mindful of these sorts of questions. best of luck nick :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Hi buddy
Yer I think so to, each to there own I guess.

I can understand why these checks are in place and I agree that they need to be scrutinised, however it was my mother who involved the police and since I was under the legal age told police to get involved (was over 11 years ago). The funny part to it is I carry a gun at work everyday and went through all the background checks mental hatch checks years ago and no one had or has an issue. It’s unbelievable
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 2:08 pm

pete1 wrote:Heard about it happening. Just say you need a letter your all better. Dont need to say anything about firearms id say. Id think just need to say your not a danger to anyone. Cant a GP do this?

Yer something along those lines, no it states a psychologist or psychiatrist. Hard to find and bloody expensive
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 2:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

He says the police were involved thus its recorded in the system...so it’s not likely to be a minor thing (I assume on lack of other pertinent info).
It may well be that the psychs are covering their asses here - saying “that” as to not offend the patient...or perhaps the patient is not hearing what they are trying to say...maybe...all maybes...

Yes police was involved as my mother called them, it is duty of care (a legal obligation). It’s certainly not covering there arse, telling me how guns kill people and no one has a need for a gun is an opinion.

It was nothing more than my mother who was heavily intoxicated at the time, not hearing what she wanted to and calling police. Police attended and as a precaution took myself to the local hospital, my mother attended and spoke to he doctors who admitted myself to the local mental health unit. Since I was admitted on a Saturday morning I had to wait until Monday for an assessment with a psychiatrist who deemed my normal and no threat to myself or society. That was over 11 years ago and i currently work for a certain law enforcement agency were one of my appointments is a pistol, go figure.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 04 Aug 2019, 4:28 pm

Good that means the system is working .
So you work for a law enforcement agency and question a procedure of another cool you will go far . As you said its a ( it is duty of care (a legal obligation).
I suggest you ring far and ask them why your being victimized even yell at them that will get things sorted. I am sure you have thought about it .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2019, 4:51 pm

The fact that you carry a firearm for work should be a factor in your application and a influence on the psychiatrist obligations to supply a letter to you . If you AOK to carry a gun at work, why not in your private life ? Or is it okay to issue a gun to someone who’s unstable so long as their at work ? The logic of your situation escapes me . Stay calm and keep battling. If you’re in law enforcement I would’ve thought that would be enough to validate you .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Aug 2019, 6:13 pm

very sorry but I dont think the system is working at all :thumbsdown:
if you can be in a job where you carry a firearm for work, it is a weapon
it is false then to come back and say that you have to prove that you are mentally stable enough to own firearms for recreation
it makes it look as if the law enforcement are special and do not need to prove they are a fit and proper person
like the law enforcement people do not suffer from mental health issues
just keep battling and stay calm as br said, it will all work out in the end
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 7:30 pm

pomemax wrote:Good that means the system is working .
So you work for a law enforcement agency and question a procedure of another cool you will go far . As you said its a ( it is duty of care (a legal obligation).
I suggest you ring far and ask them why your being victimized even yell at them that will get things sorted. I am sure you have thought about it .

Haha I prefer not to climb the corporate ladder much further as it requires more arse kissing to senior staff, It is working and I understand why these checks are in place however to get into my current position required many background checks and included multiple psych visits and they deemed myself normal(ish) and no greater threat to myself or anyone else.

My point was that I am fit and proper when in the uniform but apparently once it’s off I can not be trusted.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 7:36 pm

bigrich wrote:The fact that you carry a firearm for work should be a factor in your application and a influence on the psychiatrist obligations to supply a letter to you . If you AOK to carry a gun at work, why not in your private life ? Or is it okay to issue a gun to someone who’s unstable so long as their at work ? The logic of your situation escapes me . Stay calm and keep battling. If you’re in law enforcement I would’ve thought that would be enough to validate you .

Common sense should prevail however it makes no difference what so ever apparently, the staff at FAR are a special breed of people, most are civilians who process the applications etc....

Yeah like most cases it will take time and I will get there, unfortunately loyalty means nothing to government agencies. Your nothing but a number.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2019, 7:42 pm

Weird as...that uniform holds some serious power. A bit of clarity around the situation and geez. Makes you wonder...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Nick90 » 04 Aug 2019, 7:43 pm

marksman wrote:very sorry but I dont think the system is working at all :thumbsdown:
if you can be in a job where you carry a firearm for work, it is a weapon
it is false then to come back and say that you have to prove that you are mentally stable enough to own firearms for recreation
it makes it look as if the law enforcement are special and do not need to prove they are a fit and proper person
like the law enforcement people do not suffer from mental health issues
just keep battling and stay calm as br said, it will all work out in the end
good luck with it :drinks:

What law enforcement are not special ;) I understand what your saying, a lot of my colleagues (some who own firearms) have depression, anxiety, PTSD etc... the part that is wrong is if your honest you get punished, if you lie and be deceitful you’ll be fine. Unfortunately The justice system only keeps the honest people honest.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2019, 8:51 pm

Nick90 wrote: I understand why these checks are in place however to get into my current position required many background checks and included multiple psych visits and they deemed myself normal(ish) and no greater threat to myself or anyone else.

My point was that I am fit and proper when in the uniform but apparently once it’s off I can not be trusted.

Cant you get a copy of those reports and provide them to FAR?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Nick90 » 05 Aug 2019, 4:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Nick90 wrote: I understand why these checks are in place however to get into my current position required many background checks and included multiple psych visits and they deemed myself normal(ish) and no greater threat to myself or anyone else.

Cant you get a copy of those reports and provide them to FAR?

I can obtain them under GIPA but honestly they will be deemed irrelevant, I discussed it with a manager at FAR and they couldn’t care less what I did for work or checks involved as they have asked for a report from a psych. The FAR are like HWP they both work for the same agency but act as they are special again a special breed.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Aug 2019, 8:21 am

Mate - I’d pull together a letter of complaint / discrimination (factual and inclusive of employment detail, licences, etc) and hit the appropriate ombudsman up for an answer ASAP.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2019, 11:20 am

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - I’d pull together a letter of complaint / discrimination (factual and inclusive of employment detail, licences, etc) and hit the appropriate ombudsman up for an answer ASAP.

Yup , motion seconded
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by trekin » 06 Aug 2019, 3:29 am

This just comfirms what I've been saying for over 20 years, being a LAFO is being put into a higher class than the majority of those who make the laws, most of those who enforce those laws, and all of those who sit in judgement of those laws.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nick90 » 06 Aug 2019, 10:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - I’d pull together a letter of complaint / discrimination (factual and inclusive of employment detail, licences, etc) and hit the appropriate ombudsman up for an answer ASAP.

Hey
I have engaged a solicitor and have provided all documents/ emails etc... he is taking a look into it as we speak.
Nick90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Aug 2019, 10:55 pm

Crazy world we live in when they give someone they declare a potential risk to public safety a gun and a badge :lol:

Hopefully you'll get this mess sorted.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Aug 2019, 12:23 am

Keep us up to date mate. Be interested to see their attempted justification.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to New South Wales gun laws