FAR mail redirection

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

FAR mail redirection

Post by zhuk » 06 Aug 2019, 8:31 am

Just a general headsup; I sent an express post registered mail letter to FAR on Friday, expecting delivery yesterday - it got to Murwillumbah on Monday morning and was redirected to Brisbane Airport that night and arrived in Strathfield this morning. WTF, I know lol

According to Aust Post FAR now have a mail redirection service and all mail will now end up in Parramatta - mine went via Brisbane because apparently being express post that was the fastest way of getting back to Sydney. First time I've encountered this since lodging a PTA last December so I guess people should expect their snail mail to take longer now. Why am I surprised lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: FAR mail redirection

Post by rookie » 06 Aug 2019, 11:33 am

Happened to an application I lodged recently also .. apparently, they take payment in Parramatta before sending it back to FAR for processing. :silent:

(Or after payment they might scan it so it’s electronic :unknown: )
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 06 Aug 2019, 11:43 am

Well you'd think they might change their P.O. Box to Parramatta now but yeah that would be too logical lol

I think payments have always been processed in Parra, but this is the first time that purely documentation has been directed there after landing in Murwillumbah.

It's only one day extra I know, but I paid $10 postage so the letter would get there asap. Freaked me out when I saw it was in Brisbane tbh :? lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 06 Aug 2019, 4:54 pm

zhuk wrote:Well you'd think they might change their P.O. Box to Parramatta now but yeah that would be too logical lol

Apparently it’s a condition of our licence to notify them of an address change but they don’t have to set an example themselves ...

- Just checked their Minors Permit form (which isn’t handled by ServiceNSW): https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... cation.pdf
This is an interactive form. Please complete the sections, print & sign this form and submit with the Minor's Firearm Permit
Legitimate Reason form to the Firearms Registry, Locked Bag 1, Murwillumbah NSW 2484.

But ... if they got to updating their forms and website, maybe that would take resources away from processing applications and delay them further ... so we live with it :unknown:

- Maybe it’s temporary ..

zhuk wrote:I paid $10 postage so the letter would get there asap. Freaked me out when I saw it was in Brisbane tbh :? lol

I did the same ... need proof that they actually receive the paper based forms .. :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 06 Aug 2019, 5:11 pm

Yes it's been Locked Bag 1 Murwilllumbah for all of the 10 years I've been licensed (through many, many PTAs lol) and for a lot longer than that.

This seems to have been something new which may be related to the 1/3 staff cut which occured (Parramatta is NSWPOL HQ so I believe since the demise of the Sydney Police Centre at Whitlam Square) but too bad if you're on a tight document-deadline though as I am atm.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Aug 2019, 12:01 pm

Letter arrived at Parramatta yesterday, not picked up until this morning. Can only wonder how long non-express post would have taken, likely still be making its way on the (futile) outward leg Lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Aug 2019, 12:30 pm

Maybe should investigate the "LOCKED BAG "1, Murwillumbah NSW 2484. all Mail to FAR is sent to Parramatta then LOCKED bag to Murwillumbah
"According to Aust Post FAR now have a mail redirection service and all mail will now end up in Parramatta" always did via the Redfern mail exchange
As for express or Registered post witch I always use with FAR " austpost " find the fastest way how it gets there is nothing to do with FAR.
I would wonder why it went to Murwillumbah first .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Aug 2019, 12:36 pm

pomemax wrote:Maybe should investigate the "LOCKED BAG "1, Murwillumbah NSW 2484. all Mail to FAR is sent to Parramatta then LOCKED bag to Murwillumbah
"According to Aust Post FAR now have a mail redirection service and all mail will now end up in Parramatta" always did via the Redfern mail exchange
As for express or Registered post witch I always use with FAR " austpost " find the fastest way how it gets there is nothing to do with FAR

So you're saying the mail was sent to Paramatta first, then to Murwillumbah, then to Brisbane, then back to the sorting centre at Strathfield, then back to Parramatta? Makes sense lol

Edit:

On ringing FAR, I have been informed that this IS a new mail redirection system, and that correspondence must still return to Murwillumbah - Parramatta is only a collating centre. From the horses' mouth, so to speak.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 29 Aug 2019, 10:36 pm

Yep. I can confirm it’s being redirected on my sons minors permit posted last week and delivered to parramatta 4 working days later.

810B2892-9CA7-4C7C-988B-31D1883E33B8.png
810B2892-9CA7-4C7C-988B-31D1883E33B8.png (372.6 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 30 Aug 2019, 2:36 pm

And it should return to Murwillumbah now, ckraus.

My Express post registered letter was sent on July 25, went from Sydney>Murwillumbah>Brisbane airport>Strathfield>Parramatta>Murwillumbah finally arriving on Aug 8

So, exactly 2 weeks travel for very urgent correspondence.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws