NSW First pistol PTA almost 2 months

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW First pistol PTA almost 2 months

Post by targetshooter900 » 19 Oct 2019, 8:07 am

Mornin fellas
Held PPL for 8 months or so before putting PTA in, its up to almost 2 months and still just says processing. Why do they take so long it says 28 days for first one. I have a few Cat A and B guns and they were always 28days then a week for future ones. Is firearms registry just under the pump or what ?
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW First pistol PTA almost 2 months

Post by Devilcv8 » 19 Oct 2019, 3:58 pm

The trainer at my club has said to put the PTA in as soon as you have completed the 3 shoots and submit that form rather than wait for the 6 months to be up. Although I’m still waits for my application to progress. 3 months next week
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW First pistol PTA almost 2 months

Post by zhuk » 19 Oct 2019, 8:06 pm

targetshooter900 wrote:Mornin fellas
Held PPL for 8 months or so before putting PTA in, its up to almost 2 months and still just says processing. Why do they take so long it says 28 days for first one. I have a few Cat A and B guns and they were always 28days then a week for future ones. Is firearms registry just under the pump or what ?

It's not 28 days for the first one. It's a minimum of 28 days before they actually look at your application - then anywhere up to 6-8 weeks for the actual processing. You can't compare Cat A/B; I've got a LOT of rifles and its down to about 5 days for a longarms PTA to come through under the new Service NSW system. I have 5 handguns and for the last one earlier this year took 7 weeks wait.

So what you're experiencing for your first is by no mean unusual.

I should also point out that I sent away my 10 year-mark second licence renewal the day after I got FAR's letter - ie end of June which was 3 months before the expiry. My licence then expired on Oct 1 and only today did the status change from "Reapplication in progress - Authority continues" to Reapplication referred to Service NSW for Issue - Authority continues

So that's 3 1/2 months. I hope you get some idea of the timeframes that everyone has to wait,not just the newly licensed.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws