Becoming a pro...

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Becoming a pro...

Post by Patty93 » 14 Dec 2019, 4:51 pm

Hi guys,

Was dabbling in the idea of having a bit of a side business doing some animal control. I like the idea of being classed a professional and ultimately making a little coin for doing something I enjoy. I also like the idea of potentially getting access to a few tools not usually available....

Can anyone give me a run down on how they went about going through all the legal aspects regarding their licensing, getting better tools, sorting out business stuff and some of the basics with minimum requirements...

Some cons would also be pretty good!

Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Becoming a pro...

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 8:14 pm

a side business hey ??

Do you have a reliable suitable 4wd already set up ? $$$$

have you looked into the costs of accreditation and the associated courses you'll need to complete ?

Have you already got an established relationship with landholders where you can demonstrate proficiency and where you ll be paid ?

Can you handle working all night fatigued and do you have back up if things go wrong ?

Just the obvious questions you need to ask yourself.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 8x57 » 14 Dec 2019, 9:07 pm

Hey Patty there is quite a bit involved in becoming a professional vertebrae pest controller, the hardest thing is getting your cat D licence. If it was easy we would all do it, I,m not sure given the cost and time involved it’s something you could do part time. Perhaps contact a company that does it and ask for advice.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 9:15 pm

whats your location Patty ?

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patty93 » 14 Dec 2019, 11:18 pm

My location is Blue Mountains region. I am not soo much looking to make huge cash or anything, more as a means to self fund the activity of hunting and clearing pest species.

4WD is sorted.
I work rotating rosters and am more than ok with Night shift.
I know cat D straight up ain’t gonna be a thing but over time.

What I am really asking is can anyone point me in the direction to research to see if this is viable. Google searching ain’t all that helpful...
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Dec 2019, 4:21 am

I think I read somewhere the insurance alone is around 5k per year
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 15 Dec 2019, 7:01 am

Part time won t cut it as you need to be a full time shooter, you need to be able to show details of the business as evidence, I've got mates who are applying in the new Yr and have done the research. It's a very high bar to hurdle same with noise suppressors.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 15 Dec 2019, 7:12 am

The thing is you dont need noise suppressors or Cat D to become a professional. You do need to register a business and have insurance from there on in it is more about having customers and running the business having some contracts preferably so if you do want to take the next step to the CAT D you have proof of a Genuine Reason. However I think even as a Professional shooter unless you are flying about in helicopters the Cat D will be hard to justify.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Dec 2019, 9:28 am

G'day Patty93 mate i'm in QLD but that shouldn't matter I shoot as much as possible mainly wild dogs then the rest of the pests, shooting pests part time will be hard because it takes time to establish where they are then the time setting up to get them as was said on here by others (good advice) properties, insurance, weather, establishing a price for the pest, vehicle, and the list goes on then there is the pest it's not always going to be found and you'll have to chase it, all takes time then finding people on properties prepared to let you on so at the end it won't be much different than normal pest control except the insurance and getting paid, up here a pest shooter can do it on a gun licence alone with insurance as long as you have properties you can shoot on but I can honestly say you will not make what you spend on chasing the pest unless you have places heavily infested with pests especially doing it part time It will be a fun challenge for you and if you can get paid for pests even though you may only get a few each time every bit counts and it may pay at least for the bullets good luck and enjoy
Member-Deleted

Return to New South Wales gun laws