Storage in a house other than primary place of residence?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Storage in a house other than primary place of residence?

Post by lukeh » 20 Dec 2019, 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I currently hold a category A/B license and am looking to purchase my first firearm in the new year.

The house I currently live in is not suitable for firearms storage and I'm now exploring alternative options. My gun club's storage facilities were my first choice, but the list of applicants was extremely long and they weren't able to give me a ballpark date on when the next safe would be available. One other option I have is to store the firearms in the house where my parents live, which is much larger and would be able to have a safe bolted securely to a concrete floor. The house is also under my name but I do not reside in it.

Does anyone have experience storing their firearms in a house which they do not live in?

Many thanks in advance,

Luke
lukeh
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Storage in a house other than primary place of residence

Post by duncan61 » 23 Dec 2019, 5:16 pm

I took over my mates .243/ Hornet and a CBC shotgun when he went down for one of the bulldust VROs .When he passed on I bought a safe and store his firearms at his sons house and I have the keys to the safe.everyone is happy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Archie » 24 Dec 2019, 6:07 am

It should be fine, but remember that no one who isn’t licensed can have access to the safe. This means that your parents (assuming they aren’t licensed) can’t have access to the keys, or if it’s a keypad then they can’t know the code. If the police do an inspection, and ask to see the firearms, and your parents can open the safe because they want to be helpful, then say goodbye to your licence.

The other thing you cannot do in NSW, since the last round of legal changes, is permanently store firearms at a property where no-one is a permanent resident. This was put in to stop guns getting nicked from hobby farms and no one noticing for months.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 25 Dec 2019, 10:06 am

Yes quite common. There is a section on the PTA about storage location (qld at least) where you fill the details out. Alot of firearms are stored on farms but licencees live in town.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales gun laws