PPL to Full Licence Delays....

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PPL to Full Licence Delays....

Post by targetshooter900 » 10 Feb 2020, 11:42 am

Hey all,
I thought i would let you know about my recent experience with the NSW FAR.

Held PPL for one year, letter came telling me to update to full licence, no problem. Go online and process it. (They give you physical PPL card with expiry for 15 months, i did the full licence upgrade the day i got the letter).

Licence is processing... processing... then at 1 month to go until the expiry date on the PPL physical card is up. Im getting nervous at this point thinking i may be accidentally going to get in trouble despite doing everything.
Call them up, application is in progress, they have extended the authority of the PPL.

Once physical card "expiry" is reached, i cant shoot at club because they require physical card to say in date, not the online system. Can't do mandatory shoots i suppose. Will also miss out on competition shoots.They reassured me the police won't turn up at my house thinking my licence has expired though, so that is good.

It will take 4 months to do the processing. They are currently doing early September.

Sigh.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: PPL to Full Licence Delays....

Post by FabianAU » 10 Feb 2020, 2:52 pm

Such a messy system... It needs a complete redesign.
FabianAU
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by omnil » 10 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

same boat
omnil
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 10 Feb 2020, 7:43 pm

omnil wrote:same boat

Good fun isn’t it mate, you’d think it’d be automatic really.
Will your club let you shoot by looking you up online and seeing the “PPL AUTHORITY CONTINUES”?
It’s abit annoying that i can’t shoot for 4 months, maybe even longer by the time i receive the physical card. 4 months is 1/3 of the year. 1/3 of the cost of my club fees, wasted.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 11 Feb 2020, 5:26 am

Oh thats great news :( I too received & submitted my full license paperwork a couple of weeks ago.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nigel » 29 Feb 2020, 11:29 pm

I had the same issue last year because my new card went missing in the mail. Multiple clubs allowed me to shoot and gun shops sold me ammunition after my licence had expired. They checked the registry web site to confirm that my authority had been extended. This is a common situation.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws