Request for Information - Moving to the USA and pistols

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Request for Information - Moving to the USA and pistols

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 3:39 pm

I am possibly moving to the US for work which will see me out of the country for 3 years.

My question is this: What can I do with my H Cats? I dont want to sell them. I suppose I could just lock them away in my safe for 3 years but thats not ideal but a possibility.

Ive sent an enquiry to the ATF for advice

Thoughts or suggestions?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Request for Information

Post by CrackThump » 24 Feb 2020, 5:22 pm

store them with your club / cluv armourer and maintain your membership for 3yrs.. store them at a LGS (cost effectiveness might be a problem)

can you even keep your license if out of the country for that long.? (Im new here.)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 24 Feb 2020, 5:24 pm

or yaknow, fk it, its american, take them with you and get a conceal carry permit... live the dream hahahaha
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 24 Feb 2020, 5:44 pm

What state are you going too? I'm not sure of the importation laws but even the worst state Commiefornia has better laws than Australia does. Can you give them to a mate and just loose your licence as you wont be able to maintain the shoots? Pay for your mates PTA and make the sale price a carton of Great Northern.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2020, 5:50 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:What state are you going too? I'm not sure of the importation laws but even the worst state Commiefornia has better laws than Australia does. Can you give them to a mate and just loose your licence as you wont be able to maintain the shoots? Pay for your mates PTA and make the sale price a carton of Great Northern.

Why would he give away thousands of dollars worth of handguns?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 24 Feb 2020, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:Why would he give away thousands of dollars worth of handguns?

Whose to say that? Give them to a mate than when he returns take them back. Intent is hard to convey over the internet. I should have used ‘lend’ not ‘give’.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

CrackThump wrote:or yaknow, fk it, its american, take them with you and get a conceal carry permit... live the dream hahahaha

That is the plan but I have written off to the ATF to find out the process
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

CrackThump wrote:store them with your club / cluv armourer and maintain your membership for 3yrs.. store them at a LGS (cost effectiveness might be a problem)

can you even keep your license if out of the country for that long.? (Im new here.)

I suppose I can keep my licence for my time out of country cause Im exempt from my annual shoots
Last edited by Rider888 on 24 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:39 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:What state are you going too? I'm not sure of the importation laws but even the worst state Commiefornia has better laws than Australia does. Can you give them to a mate and just loose your licence as you wont be able to maintain the shoots? Pay for your mates PTA and make the sale price a carton of Great Northern.

No issues with my shoots. I have a standing exemption anyway so Im good there. I think keeping the licence will not be an issue for me
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:42 pm

Pennsylvania - Philadelphia
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:46 pm

Ideally if I can bring my Pistols, then that would be awesome. Will await a response and see what they say. I imagine the export licence for Aus would be easy and straight forward too fingers crossed
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 24 Feb 2020, 9:17 pm

I know on a non immigrant tourist visa you can not buy a firearm but if you have a immigrant visa you have full gun rights as the citizens do. Enjoy mate.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Request for Information - Moving to the USA and pistols

Post by wanneroo » 25 Feb 2020, 2:15 am

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/ffl ... s.pdf/view

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

The other thing is I would join the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association(PAFOA) forum online http://forum.pafoa.org/

I'm a member on there and there is lots of specific Pennsylvania related information on there in regards to matches, gun shops, gun clubs, Pennsylvania and Federal gun law, etc. Feel free to post a thread in the appropriate sub forum on there for whatever questions you have. Most people are very helpful and there is a lot of knowledgeable people there.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 26 Feb 2020, 6:27 am

i hope it works out well for you if i was near were you are go i would set up some thing to hunt good luck
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by flutch » 26 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

Rider888 wrote:Pennsylvania - Philadelphia

Can you goto my mates gravesite and give him a minutes silence for me?
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Feb 2020, 3:41 pm

Wou;d club shoots in the USA or overseas shoots be recognized here?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 26 Feb 2020, 5:09 pm

flutch wrote:

Can you goto my mates gravesite and give him a minutes silence for me?

This is beautiful mate.
Sorry for your mate.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 27 Feb 2020, 3:25 am

RoginaJack wrote:Wou;d club shoots in the USA or overseas shoots be recognized here?

Probably not but they don’t have the burden of club shoots like in Aus. And do I need them recognised here? I don’t even do club shoots now so it’s a non issue
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 27 Feb 2020, 1:09 pm

flutch wrote:Can you goto my mates gravesite and give him a minutes silence for me?

Yes. Private message the information and location. My dad's hobby is grave hunting here in Pennsylvania, he finds old war vets graves going back to the 1700s and cleans them up and logs entries on Find a Grave, so he can probably help me out.

Keep in mind I live four hours from the Philadelphia area, so I don't get down there often, but I do from time to time.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 27 Feb 2020, 1:48 pm

My company is doing concrete work on the wall in Texas. I'm sucking as much proverbial dic* as I can to get a transfer over there.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 27 Feb 2020, 3:30 pm

wanneroo wrote:https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/ffl-tip-sheet-for-non-u-s-citizens-purchasing-firearms.pdf/view

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

The other thing is I would join the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association(PAFOA) forum online http://forum.pafoa.org/

I'm a member on there and there is lots of specific Pennsylvania related information on there in regards to matches, gun shops, gun clubs, Pennsylvania and Federal gun law, etc. Feel free to post a thread in the appropriate sub forum on there for whatever questions you have. Most people are very helpful and there is a lot of knowledgeable people there.

Thank you for this info. NO issues with me bringing my guns but based on the 2 forms the ATF have sent me, each being about 8 pages long, I think Ill just leave my bang here and buy new over there
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 27 Feb 2020, 3:48 pm

What type of guns are they mate?
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 29 Feb 2020, 1:49 am

Rider888 wrote:Thank you for this info. NO issues with me bringing my guns but based on the 2 forms the ATF have sent me, each being about 8 pages long, I think Ill just leave my bang here and buy new over there

I probably would. There is plenty to buy over here. PA is a pro 2nd Amendment state overall, gun ownership especially in rural areas is high, plenty of clubs with all sorts of competitions, a strong hunting culture and plenty of gun stores and gun shows.

I would also be aware that we are surrounded by some not so friendly states, going from PA to New Jersey is like crossing from West Germany to East Germany in the 1980s, so doing things like taking a pistol into NJ and getting caught with it could put you in prison.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rider888 » 29 Feb 2020, 5:22 am

StraightWhiteMale wrote:What type of guns are they mate?

H-Cat
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 29 Feb 2020, 5:24 am

I probably would. There is plenty to buy over here. PA is a pro 2nd Amendment state overall, gun ownership especially in rural areas is high, plenty of clubs with all sorts of competitions, a strong hunting culture and plenty of gun stores and gun shows.

I would also be aware that we are surrounded by some not so friendly states, going from PA to New Jersey is like crossing from West Germany to East Germany in the 1980s, so doing things like taking a pistol into NJ and getting caught with it could put you in prison.[/quote]

Great info to know and thanks. TBH I have been looking at property in NJ this week but I Think I will stay in PA instead.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 29 Feb 2020, 7:21 am

Rider888 wrote:Great info to know and thanks. TBH I have been looking at property in NJ this week but I Think I will stay in PA instead.

New Jersey is extremely hostile to anything gun related. They have all manner of gun restrictions and punitive laws with prison terms if you make a goof. On top of that their property taxes and income taxes are insane among other taxes as well. You can't even legally pump your own petrol at the petrol station.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by yoshie » 29 Feb 2020, 11:10 am

Forgotten weapons on YouTube has just uploaded a video on importing guns into the US. Maybe worth a watch
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 29 Feb 2020, 12:31 pm

Rider888 wrote:
H-Cat

That narrows it down.....Thanks...
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal