Borrowing & Loaning Firearms between NSW and QLD

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Borrowing & Loaning Firearms between NSW and QLD

Post by Jenna Lee » 15 Mar 2020, 7:22 pm

I have a NSW Licence and want to know if I can loan my firearms to a friend with a Qld Licence (same category AB). Is there a time limit on how long I can loan them and how do I go about the storage requirements. Am I required to update safe storage details online and enter their qld address for the time the firearm is not in my possession?
Jenna Lee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Borrowing & Loaning Firearms between NSW and QLD

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2020, 9:40 pm

Jenna Lee wrote:I have a NSW Licence and want to know if I can loan my firearms to a friend with a Qld Licence (same category AB). Is there a time limit on how long I can loan them and how do I go about the storage requirements. Am I required to update safe storage details online and enter their qld address for the time the firearm is not in my possession?

I don't know about Qld, but I do know that you can't use a Storage Address in Victoria unless you hold a Victorian Licence.
It _may_ be possible to co-licence your firearms with a Queensland licence holder though, talk to the Firearm Registry.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 15 Mar 2020, 9:57 pm

They said at my firearm course in QLD a few months ago that you can LOAN a registered firearm to a licenced holder for upto 3 months without doing a PTA. Did not mention if it was between the states. But if the firearm is legal for the licence holder to possess in QLD(no 50cal etc) than you would assume so.

Have a read of the QLD weapons act mate to confirm mate.

Will NSW let you loan a firearm?
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 16 Mar 2020, 7:59 am

StraightWhiteMale wrote:
Will NSW let you loan a firearm?

Yes - assuming of course that the person you loan it to has a licence themselves. And then they are responsible for ensuring safe keeping, I believe,

Here's the thing though, you probably want a photo of their licence and an email saying that they have borrowed it, because if they lose it or its stolen and you can't prove you lent it to them (or their licence was expired, for example) then good luck convincing the police if the borrower denies having it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws