Category B reasons for NSW firearms license

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Category B reasons for NSW firearms license

Post by Sk1ds » 18 May 2020, 11:03 am

Hi all

I’m just starting out on the journey and want to try and get cat A and B up front so I have more choices in the future.

I live on 18 acres and mainly want to use a gun for vermin etc but also later to humanely put down my horses as and when they are come to that time.

For Cat B you need to specify a genuine reason, does anyone have suggestions on what is typically accepted? Would the euthanasia of horses be one?

Many thanks
Neil
Sk1ds
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Category B reasons for NSW firearms license

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2020, 11:27 pm

Sk1ds wrote:Hi all

I’m just starting out on the journey and want to try and get cat A and B up front so I have more choices in the future.

I live on 18 acres and mainly want to use a gun for vermin etc but also later to humanely put down my horses as and when they are come to that time.

For Cat B you need to specify a genuine reason, does anyone have suggestions on what is typically accepted? Would the euthanasia of horses be one?

Many thanks
Neil

Just put "hunting & target", but you might want to add Primary Production as well. I did see some discussion that landowners were illegally euthanizing their stock injured in the bushfires because such is outside the scope of a "hunting" or "target" genuine reason, but I think common sense prevailed, eventually.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 19 May 2020, 5:47 pm

Euthanasia is definitely a genuine reason if you explain it properly, if you just wrote I wanna shoot a horse I don't think it would go down too well,

try to keep your explanations as short and informative as possible, I'm not sure what category euthanasia falls under but it is viewed as a genuine reason in QLD
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sk1ds » 19 May 2020, 7:55 pm

Thanks guys

For NSW if you’re applying for anything over a category A firearms license, you have to provide evidence that a ‘special need’ exists for a category B license and the reason(s) why the special need cannot be met by using another category of firearm.

Presumably I would have to explain that Category A is not sufficient for euthanizing a horse?

I don’t have the knowledge or experience yet so if anyone does, would you be able to tell me what would typically be used?

Cheers all
Sk1ds
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2020, 8:15 pm

Sk1ds wrote:Thanks guys

For NSW if you’re applying for anything over a category A firearms license, you have to provide evidence that a ‘special need’ exists for a category B license and the reason(s) why the special need cannot be met by using another category of firearm.

Presumably I would have to explain that Category A is not sufficient for euthanizing a horse?

I don’t have the knowledge or experience yet so if anyone does, would you be able to tell me what would typically be used?

Cheers all

Here in Victoria we only have to give "additional information" for our genuine reason after our fifteenth CatB firearm.

For your licence application for Cat A & B you shouldn't have to actually buy either rifle, you can do that after you have the licence. The "euthanasia" would be a statement given on the PtA when you apply for it. I would assume that NSW allows the individual to decide for themselves whether they feel they can ethically euthanise an animal with any specific cartridge or firearm, and I can't see any reason they wouldn't allow you to buy a firearm kept specifically for that purpose. An awful lot of farmers have euthanised injured animals with the lowly .22LR, generally with zero problems. But I have heard horror stories due to poor shot placement or nerves. I would use .22WMR minimum, but a low-velocity centrefire would be my preference - .38 Special for example. Even a Chiappa pistol-caliber chamber adapter for a 12ga. shotgun would be a good choice.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 19 May 2020, 9:40 pm

Reason 1 - “I like guns...”.
Reason 2 - “compliance to your bulldudt rules...oh, sorry, hunting and target shooting” lol.
Sorry. Not helpful.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 20 May 2020, 9:08 am

The only options available for you in NSW are target shooting or hunting. In each case you have to state that class A firearms are insufficient. Either due to distances / type of competition for target shooting OR "humane" hunting of larger vertebrate pests for hunting. To support your application, you need to show membership of an "approved" club for target shooting and either membership of an "approved" club for hunting or permission letter/s from landholders.

The Primary Producer category holds it's own problems in that any licence granted / firearms acquired on that basis can only be used for that purpose, on the nominated property. You also have to prove you're involved in primary production, ( i.e. derive income from it ), which, unless you're growing "special" herbage on your 18 acres, I doubt you'll get through that step. The possibility that in the future you may need a cat B to euthanize a horse isn't going to cut it with registry. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Sk1ds » 25 May 2020, 8:03 am

Thanks all. Application is in for both cat A and B.
Went with recreational hunting / vermin control on the advice of the local gunsmith. Now lets wait and see how long this stage takes !
Sk1ds
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jdb » 12 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm

Sk1ds wrote:Thanks all. Application is in for both cat A and B.
Went with recreational hunting / vermin control on the advice of the local gunsmith. Now lets wait and see how long this stage takes !

How did you go with your application? I’m on 10 acres and wondering which avenue to go down. Cheers!
Jdb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Border_Bloke » 22 Feb 2023, 10:07 am

In the "reasons" chart below from NSW police, it has rural land occupation as well as animal welfare (Owner, transporter, drover or other handler
of animals).
You could claim rural occupation as well as animal welfare.
For cat B your "special need" would be that the animals you have/own/look after require cat B for humane euthanasia.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/133134/GR_TABLE.pdf
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 22 Feb 2023, 4:31 pm

Just say . "For the humane destruction of pests and taking of game animals where a category A firearm is either unsuitable , inhumane or illegal " . Don't say anything about putting down stock as that is your business alone once you have the gun .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by joneda1 » 11 May 2023, 6:56 am

Border_Bloke wrote:In the "reasons" chart below from NSW police, it has rural land occupation as well as animal welfare (Owner, transporter, drover or other handler
of animals).
You could claim rural occupation as well as animal welfare.
For cat B your "special need" would be that the animals you have/own/look after require cat B for humane euthanasia.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/133134/GR_TABLE.pdf

Based on my recent experience with FARNSW, shooting foxes is a sufficient reason for a Category B licence. It appears that FAR regards a Category B firearm as a necessity for foxes. This is a 2-edge sword however as you then need to have access to a 20-acre+ property if you are using "owner of rural land" or "permission to shoot" to support your genuine reason. If you're on less than 20 acres and nominating foxes on a permission to shoot form then sorry but no Category B licence.
joneda1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 11 May 2023, 7:43 am

Gamerancher wrote:The only options available for you in NSW are target shooting or hunting. In each case you have to state that class A firearms are insufficient. Either due to distances / type of competition for target shooting OR "humane" hunting of larger vertebrate pests for hunting. To support your application, you need to show membership of an "approved" club for target shooting and either membership of an "approved" club for hunting or permission letter/s from landholders.

The Primary Producer category holds it's own problems in that any licence granted / firearms acquired on that basis can only be used for that purpose, on the nominated property. You also have to prove you're involved in primary production, ( i.e. derive income from it ), which, unless you're growing "special" herbage on your 18 acres, I doubt you'll get through that step. The possibility that in the future you may need a cat B to euthanize a horse isn't going to cut it with registry. :allegedly:

I couldn't have explained it better or more clearly myself.
For the sake of completeness mention should be made of the current compliance requirements for both categories.
Currently one does not have to substantiate compliance that one actually goes hunting when relying only on property access letters, but that could change at any time at the stroke of a bureaucratic pen.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws