Digital Drivers License Unaceptable

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Digital Drivers License Unaceptable

Post by MarkW » 16 Jun 2020, 12:04 pm

Went to Services NSW this morning to progress my new Firearms license only to be told they dont accept Digital Drivers Licenses for Firearms stating that the NSW Police stipulate it must be the hard copy type. WTF - The Police accept the digital version for everything else, why do I need to supply a hardcopy?

People in white coats.
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Digital Drivers License Unaceptable

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2020, 12:50 pm

Try and complete home loan documentation - they won’t accept scanned signatures on paperwork...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2020, 1:02 pm

MarkW wrote:Went to Services NSW this morning to progress my new Firearms license only to be told they dont accept Digital Drivers Licenses for Firearms stating that the NSW Police stipulate it must be the hard copy type. WTF - The Police accept the digital version for everything else, why do I need to supply a hardcopy?

People in white coats.

Well thats pretty amazing--have you just got someone that doesnt really know the system & is making their own rules...?...
Just raises the question if anyone else has had/is having this issue...?

Regardless, Its a form of persecution we seem to accept...a form of regulated ID deemed acceptable by the regulator should be just that...!!

One day, one of us will hit these buggers with some kind of discrimination suit...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Jun 2020, 1:12 pm

What is a Digital Drivers License? We dont have that in QLD, they just give you a card. That sounds horrible and open to being stolen easily.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MarkW » 16 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

The unstated attitude I got by the woman behind the counter would suggest she just wanted to cause an issue and that was an easy road block to throw up, and of course the waiting time is back to another 2 weeks for the license to be posted.

116 days and looking like another 14 more.
Its no wonder reasonable people get angry and frustrated about wanting to participate in a legal interest.
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MarkW » 16 Jun 2020, 1:26 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:What is a Digital Drivers License? We dont have that in QLD, they just give you a card. That sounds horrible and open to being stolen easily.

Ahhh, you'll find out about those when they introduce mobile phones in place of the carrier pidgeons into the north state. :D

You really dont have Digital Driver's License for cars/trucks/bikes??

Its actually more secure than a picture card which can be forged assuming your phone is secured by a pin.

Mark
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Jun 2020, 1:50 pm

MarkW wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:What is a Digital Drivers License? We dont have that in QLD, they just give you a card. That sounds horrible and open to being stolen easily.

Ahhh, you'll find out about those when they introduce mobile phones in place of the carrier pidgeons into the north state. :D

Its actually more secure than a picture card which can be forged assuming your phone is secured by a pin.

Mark

I never heard of them and I just renewed my licence last year. I am happy to stick with the card that i can put in my wallet. I dont like the sound of it. What do you do in a power outage scenario and you have no back up reserves to charge your phone? What do you do when you buy a new phone?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 Jun 2020, 1:52 pm

MarkW wrote:The unstated attitude I got by the woman behind the counter would suggest she just wanted to cause an issue and that was an easy road block to throw up, and of course the waiting time is back to another 2 weeks for the license to be posted.

116 days and looking like another 14 more.
Its no wonder reasonable people get angry and frustrated about wanting to participate in a legal interest.

Thats public servants for you. Their job can easily be automated as they serve no physical purpose and just drain tax payers money.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 16 Jun 2020, 1:56 pm

The digital drivers licence is useless for almost anything other than traffic stops.

The cops have the ability to check if its real. No one else does, so until they do, its hardcopy only.

Most places you cant even pick up a rental car with a digital one.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MarkW » 16 Jun 2020, 2:23 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:[
I never heard of them and I just renewed my licence last year. I am happy to stick with the card that i can put in my wallet. I dont like the sound of it. What do you do in a power outage scenario and you have no back up reserves to charge your phone? What do you do when you buy a new phone?

If you use the Digital Driver's License (DDT), the onus is on the user/driver to have sufficient battery in their smart phone to display it.
The Services NSW app in the phone stores the data securely and doesn't require a data connection to display it. You have use a security PIN/finger print/face scan (iPhone) to access it. I don't always take a wallet with me as I can pay with my phone and there is almost nothing in my wallet that can't do with my phone. Just one less piece of crap to carry around.

Mark
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimmyS » 16 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

I get not accepting a digital drivers licence.
Unless said business can verify the digital drivers licence on the spot - I wouldn't accept it.

Much easier to use a bit of Photoshop to create your own fake licence, rather than create a physical one from scratch - not implying that you ever would, but that's just my logic, and my 2c.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jun 2020, 6:40 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
MarkW wrote:

Mark

I think they mean a photo of the plastic card. If this is the case, it's often not accepted. Far too easy to edit the image. e.g. change the photo using software such as photo shop.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Jun 2020, 7:06 pm

You need an implanted chip, my Bluey has one and all good.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MarkW » 16 Jun 2020, 10:45 pm

The NSW Police dont take the DDL at face value, they have some sort of reader which scans a QR code on the screen so that they get a copy of what the license should be to compare against a data transfer from the Pol database. If something doesnt match then out come the cuffs, until you can provide sufficient identity evidence. Maybe some master crim who can hack the Police database could fool the system but in reality that just TV bullsh1t - it aint going to happen.
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2020, 11:20 pm

^ guilty until proven innocent then lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 16 Jun 2020, 11:33 pm

It is not a photo of your licence that would be easy to fake .
It is a weird set up My Mrs went and got hers sorted other day they still give her the plastic card tho then showed her how to access the app you need to download my thought were i have the card why do I need a app.
https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/campaign ... conditions
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws