Ammo purchase on PPL?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Ammo purchase on PPL?

Post by Jarhead » 23 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Just got a PPL a couple weeks ago and am soon to have the first post-COVID-19 pistol club day next week. Yayyy!

I am understand I need to shoot 3 times in the next 6 months (+do a pistol safety training course) and then I can get a POA.

I will be shooting a club gun (or club member's gun) until then. To avoid feeling like a complete mooch- I would like to bring my own ammo.

Question is, am I allowed to purchase or possess pistol ammo with only a PPL? I had a long look at the NSW firearms registry and found the below. It seems to state that you need to show a POA or registration for a CAT H to purchase pistol ammo. Is this right? I guess I will consign myself to being a mooch for 6 months!

What do I need to acquire ammunition?

The person acquiring the ammunition must produce to the firearms dealer, at the time of supply: * Identification showing their full name, and * A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm which takes that ammunition or permit which authorises acquisition of the ammunition, and (Sections 65 and 65A of the Firearms Act 1996) Where the ammunition being acquired is for a pistol, in addition to the above, the person acquiring the ammunition must produce at the time of supply: * The registration certificate for the firearm taking that type of ammunition, or * An issued permit to acquire for a firearm which takes that ammunition.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Ammo purchase on PPL?

Post by BadShot » 23 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

You cannot purchase Pistol ammunition without presenting an original Pistol registration certificate for the calibre you are purchasing.
You cannot purchase a pistol in the first 6 months as you know.

The club shoots they will supply ammo its normally 22LR its ~10c/round.
If you are shooting with a Full Cat H member, Just give your fellow club mate $25.00 for a box of ammo if its 9mm, solves the problem.

If you have a A/B License you can purchase rifle ammo without registration papers, but I believe it is an offence to possess ammo for a firearm you don't own too. Traps everywhere...
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jarhead » 23 Jun 2020, 1:39 pm

Thanks Badshot,

I believe it is also illegal in NSW to purchase ammo from anyone other than a licensed dealer.

I don't see a way out of being a mooch- it seems to be a necessary part of the probationary period.

I guess I can plan to bring doughnuts for the club now, rely on their generosity for guns and ammo, and happily donate my ammo to the newcomers when I get my full license.
Regards,

Jarhead

Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BadShot » 24 Jun 2020, 10:06 am

I don't see it a being a mooch, if its club then its part of the process, and you are paying for that somehow, if a pal is good enough to take you to the range to use their guns then just cough up for the ammo used. an extra box purchased is always appreciated if it becomes a regular thing. You aren't buying it, just paying for it.
"Can we buy an extra box of ammo so I don't feel guilty shooting yours" I can't imagine being refused.
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 24 Jun 2020, 11:06 am

Be totally reliant on the club supplying your ammo requirements because it will be your licence at risk if go outside the legal requirements. Now in saying that, if you have a current A or B licence you may purchase 22 ammo or 38spl or 357 ammo if you have a registered rifle in any of those calibers, again you may have to produce paperwork etc. Also, some clubs do not allow jacketed pistol ammo (my club doesn't) so again you are limited to lead projectiles.
It is unwise to buy (an illegal) ammo from an individual who makes their own ammo, also because you have no comeback if the loads are incorrect and something goes wrong and you or others get hurt. The police will quickly investigate this mishap and your licence, the person who sold the ammo and the club are all at risk.
How do I know. I have seen it happen.

Be patient, and enjoy what you are able to do. Time will pass quickly and then you will be able to proceed wholly on your own.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Jun 2020, 12:52 pm

What pistol club .
What is a POA
IF your buying pistol ammo you need the rego papers for it if your buying 22lr seller should ask to see you a/b they dont have to wright anything down just check you have the correct class .
Most club guns you use club ammo then they know what your shooting .
\
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 26 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm

If you have a cat a or cat b license you can purchase ammo on that license to use with the club pistols.

I’ve just started my second 6 months on my ppl and During my first 6 months (3 months really thanks to COVID-19) I purchased ammo from the club and was able to possess it as long as it was secured. Before the ppl was issued any ammo I hadn’t shot was held by the club until my next visit.

I’d be checking if they’ll be allowing club guns to be used as my understanding is while ranges are reopening, no coaching or p650 shooters are allowed and no borrowing equipment.

I’ll finish with some advice I was given when looking for a handgun.
1: buy new European, 2: buy second hand European and a lowly last, anything else. Reason is European handguns are made to suit the rules. Any of the US handguns such as Ruger, etc are not target pistols regardless of what they say. They are plinking guns.
So hammerli, pardini Etc. having shot the club hammerli, I agree it’s so much better than the Ruger, Smith, browning club guns it isn’t funny.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2020, 8:39 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:If you have a cat a or cat b license you can purchase ammo on that license to use with the club pistols.

I’ve just started my second 6 months on my ppl and During my first 6 months (3 months really thanks to COVID-19) I purchased ammo from the club and was able to possess it as long as it was secured. Before the ppl was issued any ammo I hadn’t shot was held by the club until my next visit.

I’d be checking if they’ll be allowing club guns to be used as my understanding is while ranges are reopening, no coaching or p650 shooters are allowed and no borrowing equipment.

I’ll finish with some advice I was given when looking for a handgun.
1: buy new European, 2: buy second hand European and a lowly last, anything else. Reason is European handguns are made to suit the rules. Any of the US handguns such as Ruger, etc are not target pistols regardless of what they say. They are plinking guns.
So hammerli, pardini Etc. having shot the club hammerli, I agree it’s so much better than the Ruger, Smith, browning club guns it isn’t funny.

They might be suitable for stand-and-shoot-slowly type of competition, do Hammerli or Pardini make anything suitable for IPSC, Metallic Silhouette or any other practical competition?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Jun 2020, 8:40 pm

Jarhead,
What club are you at?

Devilcv8 that is the sound advice for the most part, depends on the style of shooting the club too..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 27 Jun 2020, 8:56 am

BadShot wrote:Traps everywhere...

So simply a qualified lawyer could follow it :lol:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 28 Jun 2020, 8:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:They might be suitable for stand-and-shoot-slowly type of competition, do Hammerli or Pardini make anything suitable for IPSC, Metallic Silhouette or any other practical competition?

As a new shooter myself I was passing on the advice I was given and experienced the difference using the club guns. So far all shooting has been issf. I will move onto other styles including ipsc and maybe even wild bunch, although I’ll need to get my cat a and b for that.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 29 Jun 2020, 6:11 am

With regard to European pistols. Yes they are ideal for ISSF matches but no good for action type matches. I think Pardini make a semi auto in 9mm and 45 ACP if you want to shoot Service matches etc. Some clubs have metallic silhouette in .22 and for that a Ruger MK IV is ideal. By the way, I have seen tricked up Rugers do very well in Standard Pistol matches and Sports matches.Yes. I do use a Pardini myself but also have a Ruger Mark IV.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 13 Jul 2020, 7:14 am

Interesting that the are dealers that view the sale of Ammo as quiet subjective. Everytime I have purchased Ammo in NSW, the shops have asked to see my rego papers for a Calibre that I am after. A few months back, I went into a smaller shop in NSW to buy Ammo and all they cared about was that I had a licence that stated H-Cat. Didn't need to see my rego papers. Was happy to sell me any calibre of Ammo as long as it was in the H-Cat.
Having said that, I have also purchased Ammo interstate and all they needed to see was my licence and not Rego papers. I guess it varies from state to state.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jarhead » 14 Jul 2020, 2:18 pm

All,

Thanks for the help and advice!

POA was meant to be PTA (permit to Acquire) pomemax.

I found this is not a problem at all- the club will keep me shooting a 22lr pistol. I have a 22lr rifle and some factory ammo that I bought and will not use as it patterns like my skeet gun when fired out of this rifle. It will work in the club gun just fine and I am legally able to buy and use.

Only two more shoots and 145 days to go! .......Sigh......
Regards,

Jarhead

Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws