Changes in Legislation

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Changes in Legislation

Post by Rider888 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:43 pm

How can we change the legislation to:

1. Get rid of this BS min 120mm barrel length; and
2. Get rid of this BS max 10 round magazines

Just curious and to gauge everyone's thoughts.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Changes

Post by CAVEMAN » 21 Jul 2020, 6:50 pm

I think you will be hard pressed to see any change in pistol regulation on those two items. Pistols for the sporting shooter are for sporting use only, and its hard pressed to justify shorter barrel length or higher capacity. Most shooting is still older style scored shoots.

IPSC is relevant, but most competitors in this i have seen at a high level, use a long barreled pistol. And you would find it hard to justify harder capacity.

I think a better point would be caliber restrictions of over 38. I think its quite odd, and something that could be made less stringent.

Can you give any good reason for shorter barrels or increased capacity, that doesn't relate to defensive use of the the firearm?
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Changes

Post by Rider888 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:53 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:I think you will be hard pressed to see any change in pistol regulation on those two items. Pistols for the sporting shooter are for sporting use only, and its hard pressed to justify shorter barrel length or higher capacity. Most shooting is still older style scored shoots.

IPSC is relevant, but most competitors in this i have seen at a high level, use a long barreled pistol. And you would find it hard to justify harder capacity.

I think a better point would be caliber restrictions of over 38. I think its quite odd, and something that could be made less stringent.

Can you give any good reason for shorter barrels or increased capacity, that doesn't relate to defensive use of the the firearm?

No I cant and you have very valid points but yes why the limits to be under .38 Cal?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Changes in Legislation

Post by CAVEMAN » 21 Jul 2020, 6:57 pm

It perplexes me the caliber one, i think with allot of things it comes down to public perception. And also partially that certain calibers are ordained to certain events. But that could be altered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiakp3JJ8c

The public see's a .50 desert eagle as scary, whereas most with some knowledge would see 9mm the scary one.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 8:09 am

With all due respect - we can’t even get appearance laws over turned...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CAVEMAN » 22 Jul 2020, 9:49 am

TassieTiger wrote:With all due respect - we can’t even get appearance laws over turned...

I think once were abble to squash appearance, and focus on realitys not just some extra plastic. We would be making some headway.

Id say it would be a milestone if it does.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by targetshooter900 » 22 Jul 2020, 11:04 am

Yeah there are "easier" things to try change, if that's what you seek. Appearance laws would be one, the PTA system that's pretty much automatic anyway could be another.
Pistols are already pretty scrutinised so it'd be hard to achieve. If you want to make things easier for shooters then it's best to try seek change thatll benefit ALL shooters to gather the most support, as pistol shooters are a smaller percentage of licence holders.

Join shooters union, they are one of the only groups really advocating for shooters. E.g. Trying to get suppressors for health and safety reasons. Look on their website all the stuff they're doing.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 22 Jul 2020, 5:22 pm

The way things could go in NSW in the next 12 months, especially after a certain up coming Coronial Enquiry, we could all be facing a harder time.
No names....no pack drill...just some reliable inside info. :silent:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 22 Jul 2020, 6:14 pm

Bugman wrote:The way things could go in NSW in the next 12 months, especially after a certain up coming Coronial Enquiry, we could all be facing a harder time.
No names....no pack drill...just some reliable inside info. :silent:

Any news articles on this? Its not something ive heard of.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Jul 2020, 6:21 pm

I believe that pistol shooting will eventually be ended across all states, like the UK it will just take one unfortunate event to trigger this, even if that event doesn't involve a licensed shooter.
The Murdoch media is very anti-gun so there's free publicity for chest beating politicians that want quick headlines for rushed in laws even if they don't produce any results.

The chance of existing laws being sensibly changed is very low, there aren't enough pistol shooters for politicians to care so it's only fear of backlash from the wider firearms community that keeps them around now.

Appearance and high caliber laws are just stupid and really should be scrapped, magazine limits and barrel lengths won't be as all competitions are based around existing laws. For sports/target shooting shorter barrels don't help, they only really help for concealed carry and we don't need that. Magazine limits at 10 are also fine, IPSC uses more rounds in a stage but magazine changes are part of the process so keep things fair and work well.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 22 Jul 2020, 6:23 pm

Maybe this one?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/mot ... 50lua.html

The Coronial Inquest was due to start today.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 22 Jul 2020, 7:07 pm

September, now, I believe.
I have often thought as to what may happen with pistol clubs in NSW or the rest of the country for that matter, if the UK decision came into being. I guess that the gov would have to buy back my handguns.....or they could well face a class action because we all purchased our kit legitimately and then they changed the goal posts.
What would I do if this actually eventuated? I would have to go along very reluctantly. At my age it probably doesn't matter too much, but to those a lot younger than me it would be devastating and democratically unfair.
Anyhow, best not speculate until news comes to hand.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 22 Jul 2020, 7:07 pm

That is a sad outcome all round. It brings up in one of those articles that on some of his screening he answered questions that should have raised alarm. Sad ending for something that might have been avoided with a few pen stokes.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by targetshooter900 » 22 Jul 2020, 8:36 pm

Jarhead wrote:Maybe this one?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/mot ... 50lua.html

The Coronial Inquest was due to start today.

A sad case. He got a commissioners permit after two pistol clubs refused his membership. He wasn't allowed to join Ku-ring-gai and then St Mary's because he had AVOs and a domestic violence history. The FAR gave him a commissioners permit allowing him to get licenced. Ultimately it's a FAR let down. The club's did their job and refused him training and membership. Clubs are very good at this kind of thing.
No one with AVOs and history's of domestic violence should be able to get licenced.
There's a rundown here:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/joh ... 4zql4.html
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws