Souvenir case and projectile

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Souvenir case and projectile

Post by duddley75 » 30 Aug 2020, 10:41 am

So my 10yr nephew was asking if I could give him a souvenir bullet he can put on his bookcase.

Obviously I can't (wouldn't) give him a live round. But I though maybe a case with spent primer removed and I will add a projectile. (No powder obviously)

Upon checking NSW firearm laws, the following applies

ammunition includes—
(a) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or
(b) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or

As such my interpretation is as long as there is no powder or primer then it is not consider ammunition and as such is not illegal for unlicensed person to possess.

I did think of going one extra step of drilling out the primer hole further.another few mm.

Anyone see issues with this that I am not seeing?
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Souvenir case and projectile

Post by Skinna » 30 Aug 2020, 11:07 am

duddley75 wrote:So my 10yr nephew was asking if I could give him a souvenir bullet he can put on his bookcase.

Obviously I can't (wouldn't) give him a live round. But I though maybe a case with spent primer removed and I will add a projectile. (No powder obviously)

Upon checking NSW firearm laws, the following applies

ammunition includes—
(a) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or
(b) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or

As such my interpretation is as long as there is no powder or primer then it is not consider ammunition and as such is not illegal for unlicensed person to possess.

I did think of going one extra step of drilling out the primer hole further.another few mm.

Anyone see issues with this that I am not seeing?

Nope. The wording is pretty clear. What you are doing is definately not "b)". And the "and" in between primer & bullet is your saviour in point "a)".

Mind you, once he gets stopped by a left wing nutter, im sure it will cause outrage.

I wouldnt drill out the primer pocket of the case, that adds a bit of intrigue for those who nothing about ammunition.
You could drill a few evenly spaced small holes through the wall of the case (so it looks a bit like a muzzle brake or ported barrels on a shotty). That might look pretty cool too!! :thumbsup:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Souvenir case and projectile

Post by duddley75 » 30 Aug 2020, 2:47 pm

Cheers thanks Skinna
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws