Urgent advice please :Gun safe inspection?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Urgent advice please :Gun safe inspection?

Post by Raven » 10 Sep 2020, 8:28 pm

Hi,
I'm new to firearms ownership and need advice.
* I have purchased and bolted down my safes.
* I have received my PTA in the mail
Do I need to call to get a safe inspection done before bringing rifles home or do they contact you to organise an inspection?
I don't want to bring rifles home and get in trouble for not having safe signed off.

Thank you
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Urgent advice please :Gun safe inspection?

Post by luvmeadler » 10 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm

Not sure about NSW but in South oz you don't need a safe inspection, it just needs to comply with the legislation.
Check your states firearms legislation on the police website it should give you the info your seeking......
If not give the firearms division a call and ask the question, sure they will help you out....
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by CrackThump » 10 Sep 2020, 8:49 pm

In Tasmania, the police will come and inspect it when they feel its appropriate..

If you have recieved your license and have a valid PTA in your hand then get thee down to the gun store and "spend yo money" lol.

And congratulations.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2020, 9:16 pm

CrackThump wrote:In Tasmania, the police will come and inspect it when they feel its appropriate..

If you have received your license and have a valid PTA in your hand then get thee down to the gun store and "spend yo money" lol.

And congratulations.

Same in Victoria but almost always after the first firearm is purchased. Normally not a big deal hear.

You just need to confirm from a NSW member.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raven » 10 Sep 2020, 9:18 pm

CrackThump wrote:In Tasmania, the police will come and inspect it when they feel its appropriate..

If you have recieved your license and have a valid PTA in your hand then get thee down to the gun store and "spend yo money" lol.

And congratulations.

Haha thanks, I have already ordered a Lithgow LA105, Bergara HMR Pro and CZ Shadow 2.
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 10 Sep 2020, 9:33 pm

An offence is only committed if firearms are not stored as per the regulations, the police are only interested in checking your safe to see if an offence has been committed so they can confiscate your license and guns and prosecute you.
They have no interest in checking your safe before you have guns stored in it so will contact you sometime after you acquire your first firearm, well maybe, maybe not.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Geech » 10 Sep 2020, 10:15 pm

You do not need to arrange any safe inspections prior to bringing any firearms home The responsibility is on you to ensure your safe complies with the relevant requirements of your licence class, and you may receive a random inspection of your premises to confirm your compliance with the regulations.

I’m a NSW licence holder, and yet to ever receive any inspection of my firearms
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 10 Sep 2020, 10:58 pm

Hi mate, you have done the right thing by the law so go buy something you like! I hope the safe is well sized, this is an addictive pastime.

I average one inspection every 5 years or so. I guess thats the 'standard' audit rate. I'm toward the start of the alphabet in terms of surname so probably top the list before other priorities take hold for the boys in blue.

Enjoy the journey into firearm ownership mate. I wish you all the best.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by pomemax » 10 Sep 2020, 11:07 pm

Raven as others have said in NSW no set time for an inspection they are supposed to let you know they are comming but but dont quote me on that they have never let me know before hand and if you doing things right it does not matter last cop asked me quietly is this the number you have he had written it in the corner of his sheet i just said i think it is he counted all of them tally matched so he was happy then my MRS came in to garage asked why he had asked they quietly she has ears like a radar cop got all funny till she said its ok I shoot too he said some wives dont know how many in the safes some times ., all was good that was first inspection in the last 15years
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2020, 9:31 am

Raven wrote:

And congratulations.

Haha thanks, I have already ordered a Lithgow LA105, Bergara HMR Pro and CZ Shadow 2.

Damn bro, that's like 10k and then some.
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 11 Sep 2020, 11:10 am

Raven wrote:Hi,
Do I need to call to get a safe inspection done before bringing rifles home or do they contact you to organise an inspection?
I don't want to bring rifles home and get in trouble for not having safe signed off.

Thank you

There is an old saying which goes something like 'either YOU make things happen or things will happen TO you'.
What will it hurt for you to call your local cop shop and ask for the licencing sergeant to arrange a safe storage compliance inspection prior to your purchase of any firearms.
Does it hurt to appear to be an honest member of the public keen to scrupulously comply with the law?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Sep 2020, 11:24 am

straightshooter wrote:
Raven wrote:Hi,

Thank you

There is an old saying which goes something like 'either YOU make things happen or things will happen TO you'.
What will it hurt for you to call your local cop shop and ask for the licencing sergeant to arrange a safe storage compliance inspection prior to your purchase of any firearms.
Does it hurt to appear to be an honest member of the public keen to scrupulously comply with the law?

If this gents is encountering similar resourcing issues as where I am - then, he is likely to receive the standard police response from;
It’s your obligation to know the law in regards to fire arms storage, the police are not at your beck and call, we will inspect in due course.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 11 Sep 2020, 4:27 pm

Just a curious question. The pistol club I belong to wanted proof by way of photo(s) that an appropriate safe had been installed prior to signing a PTA for a handgun.
This was for new fully licensed members wanting to obtain their first pistol(s). I know this is not a requirement from NSW FAR but the club needed to know that they were signing off on a newbie that had complied with all that is required for one to have pistols in their possession. Maybe a bit over the top. Not sure.
By the way I have not had a safe inspection for over 5 years. I did inquire at the local branch of Mr Plod, and was told that, they will eventually get around to it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 12 Sep 2020, 1:31 am

My club ask for statutory declaration for you first pistol just so they dont carry the responsibility you do
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cflake » 12 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm

Raven wrote:Haha thanks, I have already ordered a Lithgow LA105, Bergara HMR Pro and CZ Shadow 2.

Not to be an asshole, but you do know that pistols require a separate license right?

In Vic it takes about a year, start to finish, before you can apply for a pistol PTA. Some clubs don't even allow a 9mm as a first purchase - they make you own an air pistol or .22 for at least 6 months. Everybody that wants one already has a longarm license because it "only" takes about 3 months to get one. Did you really attend a pistol club for nearly a year, then do your longarm safety course just so you can buy all your guns at the same time?

Or did the sales guy just sell you a 9mm without telling you that you need a different license?
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ckraus » 12 Sep 2020, 12:48 pm

I’m in NSW and wanted to be sure I had done it correctly.

I rang the local police station and asked for the licensing sergeant and the guy was happy to come around and take a look.

While he was here I asked him how often they inspect and he said they like to check at least once every licensing period (I guess on firearms license renewal) but they mostly focused on ones that hadn’t been inspected in a while and resources was always a struggle.

In the end he was quite nice and helpful so if your worried it doesn’t hurt to ask.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 12 Sep 2020, 4:11 pm

You will probably never have another inspection in your life, due to that simple action. By Licensing period he probably means every renewal period ie once every 10 years in the case of long guns
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by madang55 » 12 Sep 2020, 9:37 pm

Get one of your rugby mates, the biggest meanest 2nd row is ideal. Get him to tackle the safe. If it moves, use more, bigger bolts.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 13 Sep 2020, 8:52 am

cflake wrote:
Raven wrote:Haha thanks, I have already ordered a Lithgow LA105, Bergara HMR Pro and CZ Shadow 2.

Not to be an asshole, but you do know that pistols require a separate license right?

In Vic it takes about a year, start to finish, before you can apply for a pistol PTA. Some clubs don't even allow a 9mm as a first purchase - they make you own an air pistol or .22 for at least 6 months. Everybody that wants one already has a longarm license because it "only" takes about 3 months to get one. Did you really attend a pistol club for nearly a year, then do your longarm safety course just so you can buy all your guns at the same time?

Or did the sales guy just sell you a 9mm without telling you that you need a different license?

Sounds like it could be...

New shooter with an open cheque book walks in and the shop owner thinks *yeehaaw, Im closing early today* .. "yeah, no worries mate, we can store it here at the shop till your permit comes in 12 months later... and by the way, we charge $25 a month per firearm..
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Devilcv8 » 16 Sep 2020, 8:10 pm

Bugman wrote:Just a curious question. The pistol club I belong to wanted proof by way of photo(s) that an appropriate safe had been installed prior to signing a PTA for a handgun.
This was for new fully licensed members wanting to obtain their first pistol(s). I know this is not a requirement from NSW FAR but the club needed to know that they were signing off on a newbie that had complied with all that is required for one to have pistols in their possession. Maybe a bit over the top. Not sure.
By the way I have not had a safe inspection for over 5 years. I did inquire at the local branch of Mr Plod, and was told that, they will eventually get around to it.

I didn’t install my safe until I picked up my first pistol. Ended up in a spot that was difficult to get to for drilling the holes, and not much better for even accessing the safe. I hope the cops appreciate the effort to make safe as secure And obscure as it is.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Raven » 20 Sep 2020, 1:21 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
Raven wrote:

And congratulations.

Damn bro, that's like 10k and then some.

I like nice stuff :D
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Raven » 20 Sep 2020, 1:23 pm

cflake wrote:

Yes I am already aware. I have an A/B licence and own a safe that legally stores all categories. My local shop is holding the CZ until I have my licence and PTA approved :)
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Raven » 20 Sep 2020, 1:29 pm

CrackThump wrote:
cflake wrote:

Sounds like it could be...

New shooter with an open cheque book walks in and the shop owner thinks *yeehaaw, Im closing early today* .. "yeah, no worries mate, we can store it here at the shop till your permit comes in 12 months later... and by the way, we charge $25 a month per firearm..

I am a member of SSAA, NSC, hunting club and shooters union.
I am only waiting on the H category provisional permit and my local store has been awesome because I have already spent so much with them, they are allowing to hold the CZ until I am permitted to own and store it myself.
In NSW after my probation is over, I am allowed to purchase either 2 centrefire or 2 rimfire pistols [not one of each].

My question only related to me having to organise inspection or them contacting me. :)
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 20 Sep 2020, 3:50 pm

I've had 3 safe inspections since 2004.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Larry » 20 Sep 2020, 3:53 pm

Anything specific that you can think of that triggered them? Did you go over 10 centrefires or change address? Go over 15 in total triggering a alarm system. ect?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to New South Wales gun laws